PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS6

El Grifo
21st Feb 2013, 16:00
Not sure where to post this but I am sure the mods will sort it out. It is partly computer but mainly photography.

After using CS5 for ages i recently upgraded to CS6.

The time delay in loading CR2 thumbnails into bridge is very noticable.

Making any corrections involves a real time-lag, especially when making colour balance corrections.

There is quite a bit on the Photography forums relating to this. I would be interested to hear opinions from anyone else running CS2.

Win XP Pro. Pentium Dual Core 2.5Ghz. 4Gb Ram.

Thanks
El G.

innuendo
21st Feb 2013, 16:42
I'd suggest that the first thing to do is increase your RAM. 4GB does not leave a lot for layers, history etc. after apps are loaded.

ExRAFRadar
21st Feb 2013, 16:59
Sorry to have to say mate but that spec is looking a bit dated.

You really need to upgrade if your serious about the photo thing.

One thing though, why not go back to the previous version ?

So many times people grab the latest without actually needing it.

beaufort1
21st Feb 2013, 17:05
I've got CS4 and I find if I move photos I've processed onto an external hard drive that keeps everything ticking along nicely. I appreciate that it's RAM that is used for the actual processing but it does seem to make a huge difference.

Milo Minderbinder
21st Feb 2013, 17:09
but if he's running 32-bit XP, as seems likely, upgradimg RAM will actually slow the system down......
my guess (and its only a guess) is that this is a typical example of Adobe software bloat. This new version of Photoshop is optimised to work online with "cloud" services, and also has video editing abilities. Both hint at an increased hardware need (whatever the official min requirements are).
Adobe have a horrible habit of making their software more capable, but bigger, bloated and slow. This is probably another example.

The question is.......why the need to upgrade? Adobe have turned their software release cycle into almost an annual refresh event, and to me it just looks like customer exploitation: number versioning in an attempt to extract more cash from customers. I have a couple of pro photographers among my clients, neither uses anything newer than CS2, and neither see any need to change as what they have does what they need.

Helol
21st Feb 2013, 17:29
I use PS Elements, always have done, and only recently acquired the 7 version.

Never had the need for the full blown package, but I do sell plenty of my photos, and have them published locally and nationally.

I suppose it depends what one uses the software for...
Me? I can't be arsed. The basic software does me just fine.:ok:

El Grifo
21st Feb 2013, 17:34
Back to CS5 already !

The prob is that Camera RAW on CS5 only supports Canon Kit up to 5dMk 111
Oddly enough, CS6 runs smoothly on my laptop and on my old "internet" machine, but not on the higher spec editing machine.

I never have to near layers to see the time lag thing, it happens as soon as i try opening RAW thumbnails and is really bad when making RAW adjustments.

Edited to add:- Prob is I am a "full blown professional". This is typical of my work :- Hotels (http://www.ronn-ballantyne.com/Hotel/)

I have a couple of pro photographers among my clients, neither uses anything newer than CS2, and neither see any need to change as what they have does what they need.

They must be using very old kit :eek:

Pelikal
21st Feb 2013, 17:51
Pah!! I was brought up on Photoshop 2.5 in the eighties...that was pure magic in those early days.:uhoh:

edit: or was it the early nineties?

Milo Minderbinder
21st Feb 2013, 17:52
"They must be using very old kit"

they are, it works, why change?
One does weddings, the other "intimate portraits"......

Helol
21st Feb 2013, 17:55
PM sent...

El Grifo
21st Feb 2013, 18:01
why change?

Technology in the form of high quality sensor chips and higher file grabbing capacity means anyone who is vaguely serious about photography has no option.
I upgrade my kit every 18-24 months.

Normally by that time, my cameras are virtually trashed !!

I shoot tens of thousands of images per year.

Will check my pm's Helo :ok:

Loose rivets
21st Feb 2013, 18:02
This is typical of my work

Very professional, but who's is the kitchen/diner? If it's yours, you should stop your pet rocks nesting in the walls.:p

Pelikal
21st Feb 2013, 18:06
El Grifo, any chance you could pass on your 'trashed' gear our way?;):O

El Grifo
21st Feb 2013, 18:08
Bit tricky when one lives on a volcano. The just seem to gravitate there :p

El Grifo, any chance you could pass on your 'trashed' gear our way?

Hey Pelikal, I am Scottish and trust me, when I say "trashed" it is the full blown highland version of the word !!

Pelikal
21st Feb 2013, 18:27
El Grifo, I trust you!

Dushan
21st Feb 2013, 18:35
Win XP Pro. Pentium Dual Core 2.5Ghz. 4Gb Ram.

Thanks
El G.

Wouldn't it be better to run a Mac, given your professional status and requirements?

ChrisVJ
21st Feb 2013, 18:52
El Grifo

Very nice pictures indeed, better than just professional and I can see why you are still working when the world of pro photography has gone to hell in a basket.

Personally I prefer pictures with people in them, especially as long, long ago I used to be one of those.

The world of program bloat is not exclusive to photography, try some of the CAD programs these days. One new feature you need and it loads two hundred you don't. You'd think that in the interest of speed the designers would arrange for the features not to be loaded till they are needed, maybe if the program thinks you're about to use a feature it could be loaded and then, if you don't, dismissed. Computers should be quite capable of that these days. I gave up on a couple of the CAD programs and just bought something simpler.

El Grifo
21st Feb 2013, 19:01
Wouldn't it be better to run a Mac, given your professional status and requirements?

There is not a lot of difference in the final analysis.

I started with PC donkeys years ago.

I started with Canon donkeys years ago.

Now I just leapfrog on with hardware and software, bodies and lenses.

The point I have been making is :-

Oddly enough, CS6 runs smoothly on my laptop and on my old "internet" machine, but not on the higher spec editing machine.

And that is odd !!

Forgive me Chris
Personally I prefer pictures with people in them, especially as long, long ago I used to be one of those

What are you now if not a person :p

Sorreeee !!

Edited to add :-, I am obliged to work to client instructions. The theory is that people in shots date the image much more quickly. Fashions change so fast .

Pelikal
21st Feb 2013, 19:17
ChrisVJ,

Personally I prefer pictures with people in them, especially as long, long ago I used to be one of those.I was going to post a similar comment, no disrespect to EGs work. When I'm able, I'll post an HDR pic I took a while back with people in the frame, time shifted.:ok:

Pelikal
21st Feb 2013, 19:26
Ok, I'll try these:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g412/RobJHP/Better%20pictures%20from%202010/SBH6JazzCafe_8BITskyFLT.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g412/RobJHP/Better%20pictures%20from%202010/Treeinacircletonemapped.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g412/RobJHP/Better%20pictures%20from%202010/Jeantouchinglargepalmtonemapped.jpg

mixture
21st Feb 2013, 20:03
El Grifo,

Have you got a decent graphics card ?

Newer versions of photoshop have an increasing reliance on graphics card offloading.

ExRAFRadar
21st Feb 2013, 20:26
El Grifo

Don't muck about.:)

Your a serious photographer and you need some serious hardware

Go get (minimum) a core i5, 8 Gig RAM, 2TB internal disk, Win 7 64 Bit, 1Gig graphics card.

I would tag on a decent NAS for backup and some good backup software.

These are your tools, I have better specs just to play stupid games,

El Grifo
21st Feb 2013, 20:32
Thanks, but I am simply reverting to CS5 on my editing computer.

I still think you should educate yourself to my much vaunted statement though !!

Dreamy images indeed Pelikal. for the needs of my clients I am somewhat more restarained !

Pelikal
21st Feb 2013, 20:48
El Grifo, sorry, I went of at a tangent.;) I trust you'll find what works for you. Best wishes.

El Grifo
21st Feb 2013, 22:28
No sweat Pelikal !

Keep on keepin' on :-)

I struggled with HDR when trying to blend nice warmly lit interiors with blue sky exterior views.
Clients were not too enamoured. They reckoned the result looked false and might scare customers away :(

Hey ExRAFRadar, do you reckon this guy is mucking about :)

Anyone having slow Photoshop CS6 as well?

Situation:
- Used CS5 before - absolutely no problem.. no lag.. everything just perfect.
- Got myself the CS6 Production Premium pack
- Using Photoshop now for about 2-3 weeks
- Noticing real bad lag in pretty much everything!
- Set OpenGL mode to Minimal (Maximum lagged soo bad!)
- Set photoshop to have nice amounts of RAM and GPU ram
- Still laggy
- Just selecting something + Ctrl-T on it + drag it around and scaling = lags behind.. :(

NOT FUN! :(

Also.. the all new Crop -tool.... it just makes me cry. Absolutely un-usable now.. Took me 3 seconds to make a quick selection and press Enter before. Now - its all a mess.

I have:
Intel i7 930
10Gigs 1600Mhz RAM
2x 1Tb HDD 6Gb/s
Nvidia GTX 470
Win 7 x64

Milo Minderbinder
21st Feb 2013, 22:58
do the recent versions of Photoshop still use their own swapfile /scratchfile? Adobe used to say it was best to put it onto a different drive
With a 64-bit OS and lots of RAM I wonder if creating a RAMdrive and mounting the file there would speed things up.

samusi01
22nd Feb 2013, 00:36
El Grifo,

Would be interesting to find out if the individual you quoted is using the 64 bit version of Photoshop or the 32 bit version. Would also be interested in finding if it happens with both version. I only have CS5.x so I am just assuming that 6 also has an x64 version.

What are the specs on your other two devices? WinXP, 32 bit? RAM? free space on HDD? Swap file/no/OS managed/user set? Swap file on same/different HDD? Video card, video RAM, drivers, etc?

mixture
22nd Feb 2013, 07:13
I struggled with HDR when trying to blend nice warmly lit interiors with blue sky exterior views.
Clients were not too enamoured. They reckoned the result looked false and might scare customers away

I don't blame them.

Most photographers who are "into" the HDR trend have a tendency to over egg the pudding and produce ghastly results.

If I were in their shoes, a client looking to give a job to a photographer, I would want a photographer who is a master at the type of photography concerned (i.e. landscape, portrait, architectural etc.) ..... I wouldn't want someone who calls themselves a photographer but really just relies heavily on post using HDR and all sorts of other fancy tricks to achieve the results. If I want a Photoshop guru, I'll go seek out a graphic designer instead.

El Grifo
22nd Feb 2013, 08:45
That'll be me then mixture :ok:

samus, I take it you have absorbed the fact that CS5 runs perfectly on all of my machines and CS6 is only "laggy" on my editing machine.

I surprised myself when checking my other machines, but do not think the problem lies with the spec.

Being primarily a photographer i use Photoshop as a tool to edit at retouch my images. The level of permitted retouching consists of saturation, shadows and highlights with the occasional removal of any artifacts. Artifacts are of course largely a thing of the past what with the auto sensor cleaning and better technology of recent years.

To that end, the deeper technical specifications of computers do not really fall into my remit. Sure I specify scratch disk but that is about my limit. I never have had the need to do anything else with photoshop apart from adjust cache size and coloure profiles and the like.

Here are the specs for my other machines, which as I say surprised me a little.

Laptop :- Win 7 64 bit. Intel i3 2.20 Ghz. 4Gb RAM

Internet machine :- Win XP pro. pentium dual core 2.8Ghz. 1Gb RAM

Perhaps that might help you to assist me.

Cheers
El G.

Edited to add :- here again is the spec of the aforementioned computer with which the guy is having similar problems. He is running 64 bit.

Intel i7 930
10Gigs 1600Mhz RAM
2x 1Tb HDD 6Gb/s
Nvidia GTX 470
Win 7 x64

Pelikal
22nd Feb 2013, 12:35
Just a quick comment on the CS6 crop tool. I recently downloaded the CS6 trial and hated the crop tool immediately, however I've just discovered the option for using the tool in 'classic' mode. Works a treat.

As regards HDR, I guess that needs a thread to itself.

El Grifo
22nd Feb 2013, 13:00
Likewise Pelikal, until that is, I started using it !!

I do a lot of perspective correction and it is excellent for that.

I have narrowed my problem down to my graphics card.

By opening RAW 7.3 in non full page mode, everything speeds up to acceptable.

I will have to get somone to dig into my Computer and see if the card can be changed or if it is part of the mother board.

ChrisVJ
22nd Feb 2013, 18:23
El Grifo

Now, of course, I am a "person not in pictures."

MarcK
22nd Feb 2013, 19:41
From a friend who works on Photoshop:

Usually this means bugs in the video card driver, but we've also seen bugs in third party plugins, and some corrupt font files cause slowdowns.

They really should check our forums:
Adobe Community: Forum: Adobe Photoshop (http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop?view=discussions)
Photoshop Family Customer Community (http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family)

Where we (and other users) can provide more help.

El Grifo
22nd Feb 2013, 23:22
Hey Chris, lost me there my friend !!!

MarcK, video driver bang up to date, but video card looks like the problem.

Might update, but most likely will revert to CS5.

Thank you and gracias.

El G.

samusi01
22nd Feb 2013, 23:48
El Grifo,

If you want to spend even more time on this, you may consider using something like Driver Sweeper from Guru3D to completely uninstall your video card drivers, and either reinstall the latest -or- step back a revision or two, if able. I've had problems before with different programs that have appeared after an update and gone away after stepping back.

El Grifo
23rd Feb 2013, 09:18
Thanks samuus, I will give that a try.

I have someone coming round to today to check if my video card is part of my motherboard or if it is standalone.

This person indicated that even if it is part of the motherboard, I could still in install a better one and disable the existing.

I will await his arrival before taking any further steps.

The recent tweaks I have made ar speeding things up marginally,especially on RAW7.3, but I will now dig into Marck's pages.

Thanks

El G.

El Grifo
25th Feb 2013, 17:38
Started my first proper edit today on CS6.

Nothing short of useless !

Despite the claims of Adobe about super efficient algorithms etc, one would need a much higher spec machine than mines to run it properly.

By contrast CS5 runs like a train.

Back to good old high speed CS5.

El G.

green granite
25th Feb 2013, 18:40
I gave up using Photoshop just for image enhancement ages ago, I prefer Adobe Lightroom.

El Grifo
25th Feb 2013, 18:53
Lightroom is fine for certain things but I have been hoked on Photoshop for years.

Maybe it's time to have another look !

Thanks gg :ok:

MarcK
25th Feb 2013, 22:09
From Adobe:
CS5 and CS6 have almost identical requirements and performance - with CS6 tending to be faster.

Something is wrong on the user's machine.

First, make sure all updates for Photoshop are installed.
Second, disabling third party plugins.

And if they want help, they should come to the Adobe forums.

El Grifo
25th Feb 2013, 23:01
To be fair, the user forums are full of reports of lag problems. They castigate Adobe for not facing up to the problem. I can dig back and post the links.

The Adobe forums are of little help.

CS5 runs fine on the same machine. CS6 is lumpen. That is fact.
It contradicts what is being said

I appreciate your help.

All updates are installed. I have no third party plugins either.

El G

Edited to ad :- very first forum I looked at marcK http://http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-1072842.html

green granite
26th Feb 2013, 07:35
Adobe do get it wrong occasionally, a while back a new version of photoshop sometimes wouldn't install even if you deleted the old one, people were reverting to downloading and installing Warex versions because they worked but used their own serial number .

El Grifo
27th Feb 2013, 13:01
After heeding advice form here and succumbing to common sense, I reckoned the best option would be to install a better graphics card.

I stuck in a geforce 1GB DDR3 and things improved to almost acceptable regarding my intilial lag problem.

CS5 which was fast before simply took off !!

But guess what ? A new problem arose regarding openong of processed Jpg's

I searched the forums which were also buzzing about the lag problem and found the same level of discussion about the problem opeing a bay=tch of Jpg's

Like adobe forum contributers, I found nothing reported in either my OS or within Adobe.

Here is what is being said :-

Photoshop: CS6 Program error when saving files (http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/saving_error-10zk6h)
In these days of F35, Dreamliner and CS6, you would think reliability would be progressing.

Clearly not !!!!