PDA

View Full Version : Women Talk Much More Than Men

rgbrock1
21st Feb 2013, 15:52
Yup. According to the results of a recently-released "study",
women talk much more than men. (As if we men needed a study to tell us something we've known since childbirth.)

According to the study, the average woman speaks approx. 20,000 words per day whereas the average man speaks approx. 7,000 words per day.

Supposedly, the reason why women insist on chatting so much more than men is because the brain of a woman contains more of a "language protein" called FOXP2. This substance is involved in vocalization and is much more abundant in women than in men.

Hey guys, do you support the findings of this "study"?

(I'd like to submit my mother-in-law to this study. 20,000 words per day? She speaks 20,000 words per second. And not because of any substance called FOXP2. more like a substance found in fields and left behind by cows.)

con-pilot
21st Feb 2013, 15:55
Am I supposed to be surprised with this? :p

airship
21st Feb 2013, 15:56
I'm a man and I grunt a bit. Do grunts count? I mean, if "a picture is worth a thousand words", a grunt must be worth several hundred right? ;)

rgbrock1
21st Feb 2013, 15:59
airship:

No, grunting doesn't count. Sorry about that. Grunts are not really words so they don't count against your 7,000 words per day quota.

TopBunk
21st Feb 2013, 16:01
I once heard:

Q. Why do women knit (insert other appropriate task) while they are talking?

A. It gives their brains something to do

Tin hat on ......

Alloa Akbar
21st Feb 2013, 16:03
I haven't spoken to my ex wife in 5 years.. I don't want to interrupt!!

Lend us yer tin hat TB :ok:

Fantome
21st Feb 2013, 16:04
Don't hold with grunting. Interposing an "mmm . . " now and then seems to suffice. Until you are shaken out of your total indifference by a pointed question that immediately puts you on the back foot along with the accusation -

"You have not been listening to a word I said!"

rgbrock1
21st Feb 2013, 16:08
Fantome:

I, on occasion, get the old "You haven't been listening to a word I said" routine from SWMBO.

To which I ALWAYS reply: "That's correct. My brain is otherwise engaged with something of importance."

Or, also on occasion, when SWMBO is ranting about something of a trivial nature I stick my fingers in my ears and jump up and down saying "I can't hear you. Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah. I can't hear you."

Fantome
21st Feb 2013, 16:15
Crikey dot com . . .. . you yanks have some funny ways. At least our mutual appreciation of a good beer says something for the trans-Pacific accord. (Funny . . .. . never knew too many sheilas who could savour an ale like a bloke does.)

In the local press in Hobart some thirty years ago was an item about a couple living in that city who had cohabited for over forty years. For most of those years they had not spoken a single word to one another. They communicated, only when it seemed imperative, by writing notes. But wait for it, the cream of the not a joke really was that while hating each other intensely they had long ago decided that neither one could afford to move out. On top of that they still occupied the marital bed, with a big bolster always down the middle.

For your information rgb while I have lived here in 'The Testicle of Australia" as Dame Edna Everage called the island state, for thirty years
my city of origin is to the north on the most beautiful harbour in the whole wide world. And if you have the temerity to say "tell that to the marines . .. "

Tableview
21st Feb 2013, 16:17
Mine hasn't said a word to me for 5 years. All my married friends are jealous.

UniFoxOs
21st Feb 2013, 16:30
the brain of a woman contains more of a "language protein" called FOXP2

Presumably this is also present in alcohol?

UFO

goudie
21st Feb 2013, 16:31
Women Talk Much More Than Men

But do they actually say anything?

G&T ice n slice
21st Feb 2013, 16:42
the brain of a woman contains more of a "language protein" called FOXP2

I hesitate to ask this, but... exactly HOW do they get the stuff out to analyse it? I mean even a woman might notice someone taking the lid off her head whilst she is talking.

ohhh.. on reflection, as it doesn't involve shoes, maybe not....

rgbrock1
21st Feb 2013, 16:52
I mean even a woman might notice someone taking the lid off her head whilst she is talking.

Are you sure about that? Whilst talking I know of several women who wouldn't notice a 100Kt nuclear weapon exploding 100 feet away from them.

Haraka
21st Feb 2013, 16:56
According to the study, the average woman speaks approx. 20,000 words per day whereas the average man speaks approx. 7,000 words per day.

Thus the depressing realisation around evening meal-time that, having exhausted your 7k's worth in conversation throughout the day , she still has another 13,000 to go.

603DX
21st Feb 2013, 17:01

Before this thread deteriorates further into the usual 'slagging off' of 'SWMBO' and women in general on this subject, perhaps we men might pause for a moment to consider this possibility: Could it be that women actually know at least 20,000 words, compared to the puny figure of 7,000 actually known by the average man? The extent of vocabulary used on a daily basis is generally accepted as having some correlation with intelligence. Despite past male reluctance to believe that girls were performing better than boys in public examinations, the publication of annual 'league tables' now reveals the awful truth by showing all-girl schools to consistently out-perform the boys. :eek:

So maybe 'SWMBO' has a better command of English, a greater depth of understanding of the meaning of the multiplicity of words comprising that 20,000 figure, and the good sense to practice by regular loquacious exercise, the vocal skills possessed. ;) Yes, that must be it, mustn't it? :E

Fantome
21st Feb 2013, 17:06
Don't know about a decline into slagging off. Implies a preponderance of misogynistic attitudes, whereas of late "the tone" seems to be improving.

One thing about a woman with a sharp mind and verbal skills to match,
there have been and will continue to be, exchange after healthy exchange where the 'mere male' is left floundering. Can't imagine the likes of Judi Dench, Robyn Nevin or Margaret Atwood, for instance, ever being thought remotely capable of verbal diarrhoea. Tempted to add the names of Judith Wright and Gwen Harwood here, as these late, great Australian poets deserve lasting recognition.

Ancient Observer
21st Feb 2013, 17:07
You haven't been listening to a word I said

SWMBO expects me to listen carefully to her 20,000 words.

However, if I am speaking, using my 7,000 words, her brain is pre-occupied with creating her next speech, so she seldom listens to me at all.

Thus, even if I speak 7,000 words, and the transmitter is fine, her receiver is nearly always on the blink. I'm lucky if 1,000 get through.

Erwin Schroedinger
21st Feb 2013, 17:16
Supposedly, the reason why women insist on chatting so much more than men is because the brain of a woman contains more of a "language protein" called FOXP2.

Ooh noo! Does this mean I have to forego the 'protein injections' just to shut her up?

Lon More
21st Feb 2013, 17:27
I know this to be true. It's linked to the reason that women never [email protected] as they don't stop talking long enough to build up back-pressure.

rgbrock1
21st Feb 2013, 17:31
603DX wrote:

Could it be that women actually know at least 20,000 wordsNo, they do not. They know, at most, approx 5,000 words in total. But when they speak they repeat themselves over and over again, ad naseum. "Did you take the garbage out?" "Did you take care of...." So every 4th word is a repeat. Thus, 20,000 words in total for the day with the caveat that every 4th is repeated.

Lon:

Think carefully about what you wrote. They talk a lot but don't fart. You alluded to a gaseous build up which leads to farting. (For us men anyway.) Since women rarely, if ever, fart then the gaseous buildup has other methods of egress. Perhaps it can be called, it is true: gaseous orations.

Milo Minderbinder
21st Feb 2013, 17:49
You have to understand that this directly relates to the claim that women are better at multitasking. They are able to talk while carrying out other tasks like eating, drinking, watching TV, knitting, going to the toilet. It just comes naturally. Men tend to be better at one task at a time, giving better concentration to the matter in hand.
However, one circumstance where women can't multitask, is talking while thinking. Men tend to be better at that.

rgbrock1
21st Feb 2013, 17:57
Milo wrote:

However, one circumstance where women can't multitask, is talking while thinking.

So Milo, you've met my mother-in-law then? For her, the brain totally disconnects whilst talking/babbling i.e., her brain's synapses become complacent/non-functional.

Fantome
21st Feb 2013, 17:59
Mistake #3 Women Make During Sex: Talking too Much

Conversation has its place, but no one, especially men, really wants to talk about the kids, grocery shopping, or what you did that day while screwing. Small talk ruins the mood. Most of the men in the focus group said a lot of women like to 'chat' during sex. Talking during sex should be reserved only for sex talk, dirty talk, and whispering sweet nothings.

There was a terribly off joke about conversation during a 69er. Had to do with some scrap of old newspaper that caught the eye . . . . some green peas were somehow involved too. Absolutely disgusting.

probes
21st Feb 2013, 18:03
So. 24 male posts up to now about how much women talk. Keep going, gentlemen. :} :E

21st Feb 2013, 18:08
What is also true is that if you're away on a trip, the words you didn't get hit with whilst you were away get stored up for your return. There's no escape :ugh:

Milo Minderbinder
21st Feb 2013, 18:17
but Probes, this is not talking this is conversation. Theres quite a difference.
One is vacuous randomised noise, the other is coherent

Helol
21st Feb 2013, 18:25
Rubbish.

All the blokes I work with never stop bloody yapping. I swear they are all henpecked. Yap yap this, yap yap that. It's white noise! :)

Lonewolf_50
21st Feb 2013, 18:27
probes
So. 24 male posts up to now about how much women talk. Keep going, gentlemen. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif
That's not talking, that's typing. ;)

redsnail
21st Feb 2013, 18:32
Probes So. 24 male posts up to now about how much women talk. Keep going, gentlemen. :D

Sunnyjohn
21st Feb 2013, 18:39
As a teacher of students with learning disabilities, I worked with women for most of my working life. Given the choice of a bar full of men or a cafe full of women, I'd go for the latter every time. Men tend to talk only about the three necessities in life - sex, cars and football. Women can and do talk about anything. The reason why women talk more than men is because they have more interesting things to say.

rgbrock1
21st Feb 2013, 18:42
Men tend to talk only about the three necessities in life - sex, cars and football

And? What else is there in life to talk about? :}:}:}

603DX
21st Feb 2013, 18:50
Men tend to talk only about the three necessities in life - sex, cars and football. Women can and do talk about anything. The reason why women talk more than men is because they have more interesting things to say.

Well said, Sunnyjohn! Careful reading of the male posts in this thread will actually reveal a handful from men who actually like women, and often value their company in a social context above that of other males. I fully concur with your view. :ok:

rgbrock1
21st Feb 2013, 18:52
Oh I just can't wait until Slasher weighs in. :}

603DX
21st Feb 2013, 18:55
Yes, perhaps he will explain for us all, the distinction between liking and lusting. :rolleyes:

spInY nORmAn
21st Feb 2013, 19:04
This topic is partly covered in the "Man Rules". If you're not familiar with them, here they are:

Man Rules

We always hear 'the rules' from the female side
Now here are the rules from the male side

These are our rules!

Please note. These are all numbered #1 on purpose!

1. Men are not mind readers.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one:

Subtle hints do not work!
Strong hints do not work!
Obvious hints do not work!
Just say it!

1. Yes and no are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.

1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

1. If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.

1. Christopher columbus did not need directions and neither do we...

1. All men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say 'nothing,' we will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear..

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine... really.

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as football or motor sports.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. Round is a shape!

1. Thank you for reading this. Yes, i know, i have to sleep on the couch tonight. But did you know men really don't mind that? It's like camping...

Slasher
21st Feb 2013, 20:07
About an hour after the missus gets her "protein dose" she's a chatterbox at least for
the next five, thankfully most of it on the phone. I think the sex protein CUM4U must
be somehow converted into FOXP2.

toffeez
21st Feb 2013, 21:18
I try to give mine her injection three times a day. If a miss the lunchtime shot she moans a bit then goes shopping. Gives me a break. Anyway I should have married someone my own age.

Milo Minderbinder
21st Feb 2013, 21:27
"Anyway I should have married someone my own age. "

I sympathise - older women are like that, very non-understanding

Slasher
21st Feb 2013, 21:32
Toffeez - you're as young (or old) as the woman you shag.

With a 28yo missus I'm 30 (but trapped in a 50+ body).

Fantome
21st Feb 2013, 22:24
For the ears of the probes and the redsnail . . . so the count is way out of kilter. What does that indicate? Anything telling? It should be primarily about content, methinks, and probably you too.

To be sure, some of us would like to read an incisive, female, feminine summation that in a trice nails the guts of the imbalance and moreover gives an insight into what the hell is it all about, Alfie?

Incidentally, has there ever been one of the so-called gentler sex on here making with the smutty allusions in that distinctive male way? That would be so off. Like a loud tart in a backroom bar.

Vive la difference! Monsieurs and mesdames.

Class will now dismiss. Tomorrow we shall study Simone Beauvoir, Germaine Greer, and Alf Garnett.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
21st Feb 2013, 22:28
Ah, Alf Garnett - played by Warren Mitchell - who qualified as a Nav along with his buddy Richard Burton in WWII.

Dangerously close to aviation content there...

Fantome
21st Feb 2013, 22:52
THE ART OF THE MASTERFUL REBUTTAL

Frasier Crane, Seattle radio psychologist, attempted a devastating retaliation aimed at two radio characters (Carlos and the Chicken) who mocked him on air. Frasier and Niles think that Frasier's use of his quotations reference book will make him invincible. What's funny is not that the insults are that great, - what's funny is that Frasier and Niles think that they've found the greatest of all put-downs!

Frasier: ... I've decided it's time to fight back. I was up to all hours last night crafting my response to those two idiots. I believe I have arrived at the art of the masterful rebuttal.

Frasier and Niles cross to the table where quotations books are laid across the table along with Frasier's speech.

Niles: I see your "Bartlett's" is out. You're not pulling any punches!

Frasier: Hardly. I go in swinging with La Rochefoucauld: "If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others."

Niles: [boxing-match style] Ouch!

Frasier: And when I've knocked them reeling, I go in with a jab of Dorothy Parker: "Wit has truth in it, wise-cracking is merely calisthenics with words."

Niles: Pow!

Frasier: And when they're bloody and against the ropes, I go in with the kill - [shadow-boxing] Twain, Wilde, Twain, Twain, Mencken!

Niles: It's not a fight, it's an execution!

broadreach
21st Feb 2013, 23:37
Another reasoned male post:

Somewhat heated discussion over breakfast this morning developed into a bit of a diatribe, during which I normally tend to keep trap firmly shut. After two minutes and those 20,000 words I got up, walked out and said, over my shoulder, oh do stop the yap yap yap.

"Better than your deep silence" was the reply.

It happens. We're friends and collaborators again but I don't think I'll ever find the right equilibrium. Must read over the previous posts for tips, tricks and traps.

Cacophonix
22nd Feb 2013, 00:48
They may do, but come on, you are a man, you don't listen anyway! ;)

Caco

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Feb 2013, 04:48
When asking what you're thinking, women don't really want to hear what you're thinking. They want to hear what they're thinking, but in a deeper voice.

probes
22nd Feb 2013, 06:53
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnNTwr4LUVmaP9QehYcSUtJhpCk7vsCIsst7AEjZT GcPO-KEGJ

:p

B Fraser
22nd Feb 2013, 07:34
Can somebody please post a picture of a woman with her mouth shut. My camera only goes to 1/5000 of a second.

Probes, are you referring to the "Flower Alphabet" thread or the "Last two letters" thread ?

probes
22nd Feb 2013, 07:43
:) - how do you even know these exist, Fraser?
But ok, if it makes you feel better, let them be me and Wombat :p.

P.S actually I should have added: "Fraser, I have sinned" for it was kind of mean-ish of me :uhoh:... but that's to be expected from the ones who talk, right? :p :ouch:

B Fraser
22nd Feb 2013, 07:52
Does anyone have one of those scientific cameras used to photograph stuff like this ?

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4642289328587453&pid=15.1&H=102&W=160

tony draper
22nd Feb 2013, 08:19
Tiz a hold over from our ancient past,we chaps had to remain silent when out hunting the Mammoth,the ladies however could bunny away as much as they liked when picking berries.:rolleyes:
Hunters are quiet
Gatherers - yack a lot

Lon More
22nd Feb 2013, 08:24
Scottish linguists have succeeded in reducing the female vocabulary by two words.
"You have to ..." becomes "Yuftae ..."

probes
22nd Feb 2013, 10:40
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/22/article-2282709-006CD14100000258-912_634x401.jpg
A male nightingale singing: Researchers from MIT say that humans combined the elaborate songs of birds and the information-bearing grunts of apes to evolve expressive, meaningful language

How human speech evolved from birdsong, according to new study | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2282709/How-human-speech-evolved-birdsong-according-new-study.html#ixzz2LcvIavZD)

A study has shed light on exactly why tongue-twisters like 'she sells sea shells on the sea shore' are so hard to say.

Research showed the brain exercises split-second, symphony-like control to coordinate the tongue, jaw, tongue and larynx to articulate the words we speak.

In the same way an orchestra relies on a conductor to coordinate the orchestra's plucks, beats or blows to make music, speaking demands well-timed instructions from the brain to orchestrate these various parts.

So, like a conductor's gestures being picked up by the wrong player, when the brain sends messages to muscles near each other that make different sounds, confusion can ensue.
---
'Sss' and 'Shh', for example, are both recognised by the brain as front-of-the-tongue sounds, so it more easily confuses these than sounds made by different parts of the tongue.

And that's why 'she sells sea shells by the sea shore' is more difficult to say than 'he sells sea snails by the green door'.

my favorite is "Two toads totally tired trying to trot to Tedbury", btw. I can almost see the poor exhausted trotters when I say it.

TWT
22nd Feb 2013, 10:53
My favourite is:

" How many ninjas could a ninja injure if a ninja could injure ninjas".I have no trouble saying it quickly even after 5 pints.But it's difficult for a lot of people.

B Fraser
22nd Feb 2013, 11:02
Is the reason that the "finish the sentence" thread just keeps on going is that women neither pause for breath nor use a full stop ?

;)

Slasher
22nd Feb 2013, 16:35
The sixth sheikh's sheep is sick.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Feb 2013, 16:45
http://pubshistory.com/SussexPubs/StLeonards/NagsHeadSign.jpg

Limeygal
22nd Feb 2013, 16:49
some of us would like to read an incisive, female, feminine summation that in a trice nails the guts of the imbalance and moreover gives an insight into what the hell is it all about, Alfie?

"Men are full of shit"

You may quote me :E

beaufort1
22nd Feb 2013, 16:59
Is this why they are known as the fairer sex? :}

Limeygal
22nd Feb 2013, 17:29
Yes, I hope this clears up any confusion

Fantome
22nd Feb 2013, 17:39
Though once familiar ( in the work place that is) with the sharp razor tongued CC hosties of yore eg 'My, my man, we are a bit thin lipped this morning, aren't we?' Cap'n of good ship narrows eyes, more thin lippedly, glares, and says NOWT.

Full of it , L gal,ol' gal, ? Indubitably.

But, when you are done spittin' chips , it figures you are less, full of it .

Good onya probes. . . . you gotta give us the bird, and bring beauty to the board.

thing
22nd Feb 2013, 19:20
After 35 years of marriage I think I've now managed at least to keep the wife on an even keel when she is talking at me. I know all of the right noises to make at the right times without thinking now. I've often wondered whether it's type specific or whether I could employ the same strategy with all women.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Feb 2013, 19:58
"Men are full of shit"

yep thats what happens when the women do the cooking

Sunnyjohn
22nd Feb 2013, 20:13
For some strange reason , most of the posts here surprise me not one whit.

probes
22nd Feb 2013, 20:39
I've often wondered whether it's type specific or whether I could employ the same strategy with all women.
think you should try and test. :E

Slasher
22nd Feb 2013, 22:19
My missus can multitask - she can pissed off with me, and later shag my brains out
while still being angry at the same time.

She'll gruffly tell me what she wants done with lots of nasty name-calling.

She hates it.

I love it! :)

thing
22nd Feb 2013, 22:22
You know it doesn't count without photographs....:E

captainsmiffy
23rd Feb 2013, 02:33
Consider this though....if a man speaks and there is no woman to hear him.....is he STILL wrong?

Pinky the pilot
23rd Feb 2013, 02:52
if a man speaks and there is no woman to hear him.....is he STILL wrong?

Every Woman I have ever told that joke to has instantly replied...Yes!:eek:

The Defence rests, M'Lud.:uhoh: