PDA

View Full Version : KLMuk Sponsorship

2BBA
22nd Apr 2002, 16:25
Well, for all you cynics out there!

In today's Flight Int. - KLMuk/Cabair seeking intake to start "in 2002", 2 years at Cabair etc. The usual stuff, except just 180 hrs TT (no IMC req. now). Deadline's 10 May 2002.

Good luck - but still, where is BA!!!

A Very Civil Pilot
23rd Apr 2002, 06:57
I hope that this means the recently made redundant KLMuk pilots will get re-hired then

Polar_stereographic
23rd Apr 2002, 07:46
A Very Civil Pilot

Post 911, how many where layed off, and I mean not taken back?

I have a mate who works for them, and I have heard number from him,, but I'm curious to cross check.

PS

KitKatPacificuk
23rd Apr 2002, 11:52
There was Six of them and none taken back on yet! I know 3 of them.

Polar_stereographic
23rd Apr 2002, 11:53
That's the same number I was told.

Cheers

PS

wobblyprop
23rd Apr 2002, 12:59
anyone from klmuk able to comment on what may be expected in the future?

I spend upto 2 yrs with cabair and then get to fly a F100 from stansted to holland 4 times a day? Will Buzz become so disperate from klm that there is no possiblilty of moving across to different routes and types?

:confused:

crackerjack
23rd Apr 2002, 18:28
wobblyprop,

Excuse me if I've missread the tone of your post but you seem to be a little negative about this and I don't know why you have this attitude.

The Cabair/KLM uk scheme has suited a lot of good people in the past and while it's not perfect, at least you get to an airline with a few hours under your belt and having a rough idea of the difference between your @rse and your elbow.

Or perhaps you expect to swan into the right hand seat of something more glamorous?

wobblyprop
24th Apr 2002, 07:48
cracker,

yes, you have. I've already sent off for the app form.

Whilst i know this is another way in i just wonder what the opportunities are once you're there.

foghorn
24th Apr 2002, 12:15
As has been said KLM UK laid off six guys just before Christmas, most if not all of them from the Cabair sponsorship scheme, and none have been taken back on.

I know a couple of them and they're losing hope of re-instatement (and are running out of redundancy money!)

Therefore it's rather cheeky of KLM UK to advertise again for their sponsorship so soon unless they know something about the next 2 years job market that we don't... I know it takes several years to get people through the system, but they already have the Cabair flying schools backed up with their sponsored instructors, plus there is a huge number of unemployed CPL/IRs out there desperate for a crack at getting into KLM UK, and that number grows by the week (me included!)

foggy.

Troy McClure
24th Apr 2002, 19:38
If it's anything like BE, it'll turn out that you need 180 TT, 100 PIC, IMC, 10 night, 300 nm x-country. BE ad only stated the 180TT, rest came to light later.

crackerjack
24th Apr 2002, 21:21
wobbly,

In that case my apologies, and the best of luck to you.

The options for the future are good if you get on this scheme. Air Uk, KLM uk or whatever have had a reputation for not only being a good place to work but also as an "advanced flying training school". In as much as other airlines are very happy to take on ex Air UK pilots because they know they're getting a good "product".

Once again, good luck for the future.

wobblyprop
25th Apr 2002, 07:59
Cracker, thanks. I know one of the 737 cptn's at buzz and i know he's been at klm uk for at least 11 yrs. It's his fault i'm hooked on been a pilot :) He speaks highly of the outfit.

Troy, did you get through to the second round of BE in March then?

Chuffer Chadley
1st May 2002, 16:58
Hello!

Not wanting to be a killjoy or anything, and I fully appreciate that there's no such thing as a free lunch etc........however..

Is this scheme really a good deal? I mean, they want people with a PPL and 180hrs TT- and the cost of 14100 is quite a chunk: ESPECIALLY when, from reading the contract the right to chop any student is reserved at all times, the cost of failure is £15000 there's no real guarantee of a job at the end of it (as far as I can tell).

And is it normal to charge for the application process- I know that Ryanair do this, but that's a rather different affair.

I hate to be a cynic.....

Ciao!

Sagey
1st May 2002, 23:31
Think people are missing the point with the laid off KLM pilots, and surely they will be reinstated first.

However, training at Cabair, and then 2 years being a FI, sure means that for roughly 3 years these individuals are not being employed by KLM.

Not sure what KLM financial contribution is, but surely Cabair have a financial input too and then low pay whilst the sponsored people are working for them.

It is a thing for the future I guess for KLM, and no doubt those unlucky people that were made redundant will have been re-employed well in advance of the sponsored lot finally being able to leave Cabair

Sagey

topunicyclist
20th Jun 2002, 20:03
OK then, I can wait no longer.....who got through then?

Congrats to all who got through last Friday, I got chopped after the second day of aptitudes :(

luckyboy
20th Jun 2002, 21:44
I think this is an excellant start to what is a very difficult industry to get a foot in the door. I have just been awarded the scholorship along with five others after having just completed my ATPL theory's achieving all first time.

My advise from experience is to start a modular course with a good school such as Cabair or Oxford. Work hard and achieve good results. IT CAN BE DONE!!

I am only 20 and straight out of school with 3 a-levels in Maths, Physics and Geography.

Gaining good results in your ATPL theorys will aid you through the sponsorship process. My freind also achieved all theory exams first time and is now sponsored by British European! In gaining good results you have shown the potential sponser an aptitude they can relate to!!!!

I do wish the best of luck to all those who are trying for sponsorship. I have been there and I lost £5000 with SFT in Bournemouth. So even after walls are put up infront of your face their are ways of getting over them!!!!

topunicyclist
21st Jun 2002, 07:57
Congrats, Luckboy, hope everything goes well, got home from work yesterday to see a letter in a KLM uk envelope. I thought they must have realised they must have made a terrible mistake and were writing to say that yes I would have a final interview with the airline after all, alas, no, it was just a summary from the personality questionnaire!

Waypoint10
21st Jun 2002, 09:21
luckyboy,

Congratulations on the scholarship.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you only had to have 180TT, I didn't think you had to have the ATPL theory as well.

Is it an advantage if you have done the ATPL theory?

driver1
22nd Jun 2002, 12:11
They have it easy these days, can do the ATPL theory exams from the start, no more having to do the dreaded CPL exams, get your licence then sit the ATPL exams, also no negative marking!!! Kids these days dont know they are born !! :D :D :D

Also I am pleased to say that the redundant pilots have been re-employed, and the demoted Captains have been offered their commands back. There is talk of splitting Buzz away from KLMuk and the KLMuk "blue line" being merged with KLMcityhopper, though lots of negotiating to be done. Rumour has it that Buzz will be getting 10 to 20 new B737s in the next year to 18 months also 2 more F100s for blue line, lots of potential jobs to be had in the future.

:) :)

noblues
23rd Jun 2002, 08:39
Good scheme, I did it over 10 years ago (then Air Uk) - worked as an instructor for Cabair for 2.5 years, 6 years with KLMuk on the F50 and F100, now been with BA for a few years ......

Good fun instructing and you will learn a lot about flying and people ....

It worked for me !

wobblyprop
24th Jun 2002, 08:47
Yes buzz will be getting some nice new jets on the fleet but initially to replace the 12? 146 money sucking monsters they currently operate.

I believe the lease is up sometime toward next march

EGLG777
24th Jun 2002, 10:53
Congrats Luckyboy,

Wobbly, did you get a place on the scheme?

driver1
4th Jul 2002, 08:59
Wobblyprop

only 8 146 a/c at Buzz, and yes they will be replaced, however there will be a significant increase in the fleet totals, the figure of 70 further pilots is being discussed for next year.

Luke Wingwalker
11th Jul 2002, 18:38
I got one of the places as well. Thats 2 down, I know one more so thats three so where are the others?????