PDA

View Full Version : One for The Arsenal fans

Rail Engineer
20th Feb 2013, 22:16
So folks, given his dismal overall long-term performance, how long more do think Arsene Wenger has got before he gets the old "we have every faith in our Manager" treatment ?

Sprogget
20th Feb 2013, 22:18
I think he's doing a great job & should be made manager for life.

Rail Engineer
20th Feb 2013, 22:26
Ah but you are not a true footbal fan I think ;):p

dead_pan
21st Feb 2013, 07:14
Well, in view of the fact he's most likely a Tottenham supporter (those other north London under-achievers), probably not.

ExRAFRadar
21st Feb 2013, 07:42
According to the news today He has 'Been given the full backing of the Board'

Taxi !!!

Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke to offer manager Arsène Wenger his full support despite defeat by Bayern Munich - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9884327/Arsenal-owner-Stan-Kroenke-to-offer-manager-Arsene-Wenger-his-full-support-despite-defeat-by-Bayern-Munich.html)

Cyber Bob
21st Feb 2013, 07:51
Two issues currently prevent Arsenal from returing to their glory days:

1. Club policy and investing more in facilities rather than staff
2. Wenger's stubborness in trying to find inexpensive European players as of the likes of Henry, Pires and Bergkamp

Times have changed however although I personally like the fella, he hasn't. That said, he seems to be getting more and more detached and defensive (in nature not team tactics!!) which is a clear sign that he's gone past his peak.

angels
21st Feb 2013, 07:54
When you say 'one for the Arsenal fans' do you mean the one goal they got versus Bayern, who got three?!

Wenger is toast, even the Highbury buffers will have had enough now.

Sprogget
21st Feb 2013, 07:58
1. Club policy and investing more in facilities rather than staff
2. Wenger's stubborness in trying to find inexpensive European players as of the likes of Henry, Pires and BergkampWith respect Bob, it's a fallacy that Wenger hasn't spent on players. He has spent £120m in the past three seasons, he's simply made poor choices. See the stats here:

Arsenal Transfers | Premiership Transfers (http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/arsenal-transfers.html)

As we saw on Tuesday when he stumped off down the tunnel without shaking Heynckes' hand, you can't buy class, but you can sell it.

Cyber Bob
21st Feb 2013, 08:53
True - stats are stats, but Wenger is driven by the need to find a cheap 'Starlet' and trun them into a world class player as he did with Henry

That's difficult to achieve nowadays and that's probably why he's trying to invest as much time as possible in Wilshire

Libertine Winno
21st Feb 2013, 09:27
@Sprogget

Not sure where that site gets its info, but it has wildly overestimated some of the fees paid. Cazorla was nowhere near £20m, which would make him our record signing, and similarly the likes of Mertesacker and Koscielny have been exaggerated by at least a couple of million on each one.

Not to say I disagree with the general point that he has spent badly, but to say he has spent £120m in the past 3 seasons is wildly sensationalist

Sprogget
21st Feb 2013, 09:42
Cazorla's fee was undisclosed, but widely reported at £16-18 Million. Not so far away.

The point being the net spend looks good since Arse became a Manchester feeder club, but the notion that Wenger is building a cheap team of kids from the ground up is not true. Which makes it all the more perplexing when you consider how few leaders there are in that side. Wilshere is the exception, he will be world class one day.

As a gleeful Spud, I would rather have the traditional opportunity to hate a prosperous Arse than pity them as we do now.

Libertine Winno
21st Feb 2013, 10:08
Widely reported by whom?! It was widely reported, according to what I read, that due to Malaga's financial issues the deal was around £10m. According to the Club, Wiltord is still the record signing at £13m due to most others (including the likes of Reyes and Arshavin) being 'up to' the fees quoted which, owing to the relevant parameters not being met, were not paid.

On another note, whilst I don't begrudge the spuds their day in the sun, I would urge one note of caution and that being that despite Arsenal's worst season under Wenger, we still sit only 4 points behind you in 4th and 5 behind the chavs in 3rd...this time last year it was 12, and we all know how that ended up ;-)

Sprogget
21st Feb 2013, 10:23
We are the current holders of the January cup as you know. DVD widely available.

Without getting bogged down in the Cazorla fee, the issue at hand is the decline of the Arse. Whilst I'm delighted to see it as you would expect, I look on with amazement at the whole miasma surrounding the place. Most expensive prem prices and by some margin too, consistently sold the best players, poor replacements & a lack of steel in the team. Wilshere is a gobby little pleb, but that is exactly what is sorely lacking in the first team right now. The capitulations witnessed this season are incredible - no way they are performances I would associate with the goons at all.

If you don't make fourth this year, I foresee Wenger seeing out his contract in 2014 amid a half empty library & mounting protests then being kicked upstairs as director of something or other while a new guy comes in.

If they've any sense, they'll boot Gazidis out at the same time. Still it's all looking lovely spudly from here, until we get handed our arses by Lyon tonight that is.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Feb 2013, 11:50
One for the Yids,

What's the diffferance between Real Madrid and Oscar Pistorious
Real Madrid will get Bale :p

Sprogget
21st Feb 2013, 11:55
One for the madridistes...

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii497/fats2576/old%20bikes/A38088A1-092F-4409-A0D5-0838E602B086-1374-00000397F3BFCB92_zpsb698403f.jpg

green granite
21st Feb 2013, 11:59
There and I thought this was going to be a thread about weapon making. :ugh::mad:

Libertine Winno
21st Feb 2013, 12:28
@Sprogget

As much as it upsets me, I can't really disagree with much of what you say!

The biggest issue for us Goons is that there IS money available to spend, and the squad clearly needs it. For all the grief the Board gets, and Gazidis in particular, for me their biggest failing is not putting enough pressure on Wenger to get the results and giving him too much of an easy ride.

There have been too many years of selling off our best players and replacing them with cheaper, less capable players and the cracks that were showing before but being papered over (by RvP's goals, or Cesc's brilliance) are now turning into chasms.

Sprogget
21st Feb 2013, 12:45
The problem is the decline easily gathers pace. Successful sides don't chop & change manager every year, the Chavs being the exception that proves the rule. If Wenger - who would never resign imo- is put out to pasture in 2014, you'll have a new guy & that will mean at least a season of adjustment = no trophies.

Added to that you have a situation where the side is too weak to compete for honours and a wage structure that apparently sits below the top clubs, so marquee players will look at that & walk on by to the Citeh's & Manure's of this world. In the states they have the draft & salary caps to stop this gap opening up, but here we don't & I think without a few very careful moves, you could be looking at an elongated period of decline.

Not helped by the stature Wenger has at the club. I hope he stays forever, because I think he is the problem now.

Alloa Akbar
21st Feb 2013, 12:45
Two issues currently prevent Arsenal from returing to their glory days:

Correct..

1. They are shite.

2. They are shite.

phnuff
21st Feb 2013, 13:25
+500 for the post by Seldomfitforpurpose

Moron of the year award for Alloa Akbar

dazdaz1
21st Feb 2013, 14:14
Pal of mine who works for a national newspaper has heard 'whispers' that David Moyes (Everton) might be in line for a nod. Moyes has not yet negotiated his new contract with Everton.

Daz

Cyber Bob
21st Feb 2013, 14:32
Moysie will be going to Man U.

Alloa Akbar
21st Feb 2013, 15:04
Moron of the year award for Alloa Akbar I think you'll find there are about 50,000 Gooners ahead of me in the queue paying £60 a head for that award..:p

Sprogget
21st Feb 2013, 16:28
The numbers never lie.

http://thumbsnap.com/s/TuqGze5U.png|http://thumbsnap.com/TuqGze5U"]

Ancient Observer
21st Feb 2013, 17:18
61, never again, 61, never again,

But lucky me has seen 3 doubles. Yup, it was wonderful being at WHL in 71.
Er, and which Division was the team in that beat the Spuds in the Cup?
And, why weren't the Spuds knocked out of the Champions League?

"You have to be in it to win it"

However, something needs doing at AFC............I'm not sure that Sprogs is qualified to provide the solution, tho.

Sprogget
21st Feb 2013, 17:21
61 Never again. Too right mate. No one will ever do it first again. We do, you (used to) follow.

reynoldsno1
21st Feb 2013, 20:29
One for the madridistes...
... the diving board has been photoshopped out ....

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Feb 2013, 23:00
Not sure tonites score will help the Gooners posting on here.......

Alloa Akbar
22nd Feb 2013, 07:21
I actually have some sympathy for the gooners, after all, they make boat-loads of money and play in Europe every year.. The real European competition, not the Johnsons Paint trophy for Europes also-rans, yet still get the brunt of the stick from the media.

Liverpool on the other hand are an absolute embarrassment to their proud history. No money, crap players, and rapidly becoming a mid-table selling club. Gerrard, Carragher and Reina are has-beens, Allen, Downing, Henderson et al are all "Never going to be's" which leaves them with Suarez.. Despite his faults, a fabulously talented footballer, they'll get a good transfer fee for him in the summer.. :ugh:

Sprogget
22nd Feb 2013, 07:43
Suarez is the author of his own legacy though. He could have been remembered as one of the great players in the premier league, but the self destruct button is pressed every time he pulls on the shirt. As we saw again last night with a delightful stamp on his oppo's back.

We should be grateful for small mercies. At least he's moved on from biting people & calling them Negritos.