PDA

View Full Version : London - Mid-Air Near Miss, Daily Mail style

CherokeeDriver
20th Feb 2013, 15:36
High drama: Fears of mid air crash over London as planes appear to touch - London - News - London Evening Standard (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/high-drama-fears-of-mid-air-crash-over-london-as-planes-appear-to-touch-8502641.html)

Well done to those who wrestled the controls, narrowly missing schools, children and puppies. The METAR for yesterday over Clapham?:E

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Feb 2013, 15:43
When a Base Flight Safety Officer, I discovered that 'Distance of crash site from nearest school' was on the report form. This piqued my interest.
I enquired what the average distance was, and was told "2 miles". I then got out a couple of OS maps, and found that '2 miles' was what you would expect from a random distribution.
I also read the accident reports for the last 10 accidents where the media had reported the pilot 'bravely wrestling with the controls to avoid a school/crowd/cute little kitten' or some such. In every case the aircraft was not controllable after the failure which triggered the crash sequence.
That's not to say the pilot wasn't 'wrestling bravely', but it would have made no bloody difference.

The SSK
20th Feb 2013, 15:49
I imagine that 'people gasped' at the size of his lens. Those 'planes' were six miles away, after all.

sitigeltfel
20th Feb 2013, 15:49
When out walking the dogs this afternoon, I saw a contrail pass just under the moon.

Bloody close shave, I tell ya!

Captivep
20th Feb 2013, 15:50
And, of course, if he is "wrestling bravely" it's because he'd rather attempt a landing into something green rather than something brick or concrete coloured...

wings folded
20th Feb 2013, 16:03
And, of course, if he is "wrestling bravely" it's because he'd rather attempt a landing into something green rather than something brick or concrete coloured...

More than once I have been dead chuffed to land on something concrete coloured.

"Runways", I think they are called.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Feb 2013, 16:15
Having landed on most types of surface, I think 'flat' is my main consideration. Level is nice too, and 'doesn't have a 400' cliff (up or down) just beyond the end of the surface ' calms the nerves somewhat.

racedo
20th Feb 2013, 16:27
Having landed on most types of surface, I think 'flat' is my main consideration. Level is nice too, and 'doesn't have a 400' cliff (up or down) just beyond the end of the surface ' calms the nerves somewhat.

Ah so you one of those bloody pilots who want "a great landing" everytime :rolleyes:

Insuffereable pilots they are wanting to be able to use the same aircraft again:E

Course taking the name of Slasher in vain he prefers to land on bumpy surfaces alledgedly ;)

bluecode
20th Feb 2013, 16:29
I often wrestle bravely with the controls. But it's no use. The controls always win.

west lakes
20th Feb 2013, 16:30
Those are well cropped photos as well

Here's one where the controls were being wrestled with - not!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c0.5.403.403/p403x403/581134_4695273573918_271991741_n.jpg

39,000 ft overhead.
Only slightly cropped

The original
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/IMG_6902_zpsbda77fe5.jpg

racedo
20th Feb 2013, 16:34
The only wrestling pilots wish to do, doesn't involve being airborne or in uniform........well not in a Pilots uniform anyway :p

stuckgear
20th Feb 2013, 16:35
Having landed on most types of surface, I think 'flat' is my main consideration. Level is nice too, and 'doesn't have a 400' cliff

heaven forbid !

http://www.badscience.net/wp-content/uploads/cliff-richard.jpg

green granite
20th Feb 2013, 16:36
Course taking the name of Slasher in vain he prefers to land on bumpy surfaces alledgedly

Yes but soft yielding ones. :E

Lon More
20th Feb 2013, 16:36
at least there was no mention of chemtrails

G-CPTN
20th Feb 2013, 16:55
I saw a contrail pass just under the moon.
It's when they pass behind the moon that you have to worry.

racedo
20th Feb 2013, 17:15
For the record, I have no opinion other than that, for any one company to control more than 50% of any product or service, is not good for the consumer.

Chemtrails.......

Do remember during Iceland volcano debacle driving up M40 and lots of gliders up but on a clear blue sky it really was gorgeous to see clear sky with no trails.

ZOOKER
20th Feb 2013, 17:22
We were out walking around Edale on volcanic Sunday. The silence was deafening.
I love this sort of crap journalism.

hval
20th Feb 2013, 17:32
Fox3,

'doesn't have a 400' cliff (up or down) just beyond the end of the surface '

Incorrect aircraft. Harrier is what you need, or Dave.

Do you think anyone will notice that I mentioned the Harrier?

500N
20th Feb 2013, 19:00
It must be a very slow news day.

"people gasped"

Yeah, right.

The person probably hasn't figured out that
only those in a certain location would see that
perspective !

Lonewolf_50
20th Feb 2013, 21:21
Fox3:
... landed on most types of surface, I think 'flat' is my main
consideration. Level is nice too, and 'doesn't have a 400' cliff (up or down)
just beyond the end of the surface ' calms the nerves somewhat.
The Hudson river fits that description.
We mostly don't want to be forced into Sully's scenario, given a choice ... :E

BigEndBob
20th Feb 2013, 22:19
I held my breath a year or so ago. About to pull out of petrol station at Walsall north of Birmingham. Position about 15 miles final approach for 15.
Blue cloudless sky, sun reflecting off aircraft on straight in final approach, possibly 737. Then from right base appeared a 757. I just stared believing i was going to be a eye witness to a collision. The 757 banked harder right and went into a right orbit. I think seperation was lost that day.
I've lived that area 40 years and never seen two aircraft so close.

CATIII-NDB
20th Feb 2013, 22:57
NB from Memory: I grew up in B23 the 757 would have been, what somewhere over Codsall or there abouts: the 737 at 15 statute miles 15 would be perhaps; abeam Cannock/Great Wyrley.

It sounds like both were visual with each other: Perhaps the 757 was requested to "Obit" to facilitate a departure after the 737 ?

It might be they were not quite as close as it seemed.

CAT III