PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating

MTW
22nd Apr 2002, 15:19
Hi,

I posted the following in the flying instructors forum , but am not really sure what forum it should be in the most. So I`m posting it here too , then if someone wants me to remove one please let me know.

I currently have a JAR CPL(R) with a FI(R).
Having completed my FI course at the end of last year , I`m about to start to look for a job , hopefuly full time but part time would do for now.
My problem is I need to get my instrument rating by october, as that will be 3 years from finishing my ATPL exams.
I can`t at this time afford to do a full instrument rating course though , so what i idealy would like is somewhere that would part sponser me towards doing it , while i worked for them as a instructor to pay it off.
I`d like it to be a multi-engine instrument rating but would be happy with a single engine one for now , as any will at least keep my credit for the atpl exams and I could pay somewhere around £4000 towards the course plus the test fee of course.
So what I`m hoping someone can tell me , if they know of any flying schools what do part sponsership like this or if anyone else has been able to do something like this before.
A few people have advised me against doing a single engine IR as I will need to redo the test anyway, but my thinking is it`s better to do that than to have to do the ground course and exams again and then still have to do the IR.
Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

G-SPOTs Lost
22nd Apr 2002, 20:40
MTW

How many hours have you got?

MTW
22nd Apr 2002, 21:07
I only have 300 hours.

G-SPOTs Lost
23rd Apr 2002, 05:49
The thought of having to do all those exams again, just gives me shivers. I suggest that you just borrow the money and get on with it. If you do the SE IR you'll probably have to cover the course more or less entirely again anyway. The problem with IR training is that you lose the skills so quickly.

I did an unapproved IR and it cost me £6500 £1000 of that was due to a required retest, a lot of the approved training can be done in the sim so if you shopabout you might get a deal.

Fwiw try LFS at leeds, they have a FNPT1 with good availability Stuart Anderson did my course and he's absolutely a no nonsense bloke and unusually cost conscious.

Borrow 10k its difficult enough without having to worry about not being able to afford to finish the course half way through.

Besides the cost of borrowing has never been so low and you would need to borrow probably 5 grand to do another set of exams that dont forget you have never seen before (ie JAR).

egg.com for you I suggest

The man formerly known as
23rd Apr 2002, 12:40
Good luck with your quest MTW.

One line of caution, are you sure a SEIR retains your ATPL credits? When I did it I was told it had to be a professional ie twin IR otherwise the ATPLS lapse. It may account for the low number of SEIRs that are issued.

Check before you spend.