PDA

View Full Version : CAD Airbus type rating to FAA ATP

oicur12.again
19th Feb 2013, 17:52
Hey all,

Does the FAA recognize our CAD Airbus type rating and can we use a letter of verification to transfer this to our FAA ATP?

Regards

Flying Mechanic
19th Feb 2013, 18:10
A friend in Vietnam Airlines just put he 330 on his FAA ATP, because he had hours on type he only had to 4 sims sessions and a full ATP check ride in the USA. He did at Northwest airlines(now Delta).

oicur12.again
19th Feb 2013, 18:20
thanks very much for the info.

oicur12.again
28th Mar 2013, 04:08
Yeah, it looks like I can do a reduced course but it still involves doing most of the ground school and sim. I thought maybe it would work like other countries where they recognize your type and stamp it across accordingly.

but no.

Hellenic aviator
29th Mar 2013, 06:42
I just went to the FSDO in Portland, Maine and transferred my B744 type (for what it's worth) to my FAA ATP. I'll have to dig into the FARs and find a reference whereby it states that foreign licences can be transferred to FAA with the same restrictions etc. If my memory serves me correctly, I think it's somewhere in FAR Part 61. I'll have to sift through to verify.

Didn't need to do any sim nor ground school back in the U.S.

.....unless of course the FAR relevance has change :confused:

oicur12.again
31st Mar 2013, 03:57
O.....k.

Thats a new ballgame.

Are there redtrictions on that?

Hellenic aviator
31st Mar 2013, 21:12
Nil.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=40760189a03dfea0b501608f33820a45&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#_top)

FAR 61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

xi) Is operating an aircraft with a U.S. pilot certificate, issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license, issued under § 61.75, and holds a medical certificate issued by the foreign country that issued the foreign pilot license, which is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that airman certificate.

Now, bear in mind, it has been my personal experience that when dealing with the FAA inspector, the understanding of the FARs has been subject to the individual's opinion. I had to ask numerous inspectors (LAX, LAS, PDX, PHX to name a few) before I got someone to say, "Yep, that's what it says" and give me the required form to fill and submit.

jonathon68
3rd Apr 2013, 05:11
This is Part 61 though, and so surely you are restricted to flying on Private Ops only.

Not many non Commercial/Privately operated 744/777/330/340 jobs out there.

oicur12.again
9th Apr 2013, 14:34
jonothon I think you are correct. 61 only which is not going to work!

Thanks for the info guys