PDA

View Full Version : Stupid patents

Wile E. Coyote
22nd Apr 2002, 15:32
Does anyone know a sillier patent than this???

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='6368227'.WKU.&OS=PN/6368227&RS=PN/6368227

la fresher
22nd Apr 2002, 17:08
I'm not sure about being daft but I think this one's particularly apt for PPRuNE, bearing in mind the photos I've seen of the various Gat/Oz bashes! You know the photos I mean ;)

http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/viewer?PN=US5609042&CY=gb&LG=en&DB=EPD

Tartan Gannet
23rd Apr 2002, 06:56
That's nothing! I understand that some big money making organisation is trying to patent part of the Human Genome. I wonder what GOD the orginal inventor thinks about that ?????

Feeton Terrafirma
23rd Apr 2002, 14:48
As the holder of Australian and world wide patents for an invention in the mobile data communications area, I can tell you that one of the basic requirements of a patent is that it is substantially inventive, as opposed to an improvement or extension of an existing idea. Where is the inventive characteristic here?

Another example of the US legal systems gone right of the tracks.

When will they figure this out for themselves, and realise how silly they look? :rolleyes:

HugMonster
23rd Apr 2002, 15:00
Well, all we can hope is that the guy gets seriously into checking up on infringement of his patent, and wanders around the children's playgrounds waiting to submit an invoice to anyone seen swinging sideways, until somebody gets the wrong idea and call the police to someone "acting suspiciously"... :D

PS Can you just hear his defence in court?

Defendant:- "...and that is how I came to be arrested, your honour."
Prosecuting counsel:- "And how do you explain the goat?"

ft
23rd Apr 2002, 16:42
Oh, and it can't be published before the claim is registered either. Now I know I have seen film footage on the telly of kids swinging sideways way before the the year 2000.

Someone wasn't doing his or her job!

Edit: On second thought, I seem to recall that it is not up to the patent office to verify that the invention isn't published earlier. The patent just isn't valid if it is, IIRC. OTOH, I have no idea what happens when it isn't an international but only a US patent. :)

Cheers,
Fred

RadarContact
23rd Apr 2002, 16:42
Trying to explain this to the clerk in the patent office of any other nation would have led to the grant of a personal state-of-the-art suit with extra long sleeves... :rolleyes: