PDA

View Full Version : Calling all aerial survey pilots

Fris B. Fairing
19th Feb 2013, 03:51
As an extension of my research into the history of Adastra Aerial Surveys, I am attempting to compile a listing of all aircraft that have undertaken survey operations in Australia. There are already 282 aircraft on the list which can be viewed here:

The Big List (http://www.adastra.adastron.com/aircraft/misc/survey-aircraft.htm)

Please note that there are certain criteria for inclusion and these are shown at the foot of the list. As I need all additions to be attributed to an individual you may prefer to use the email link on the list.

Rgds

romeocharlie
19th Feb 2013, 08:08
Both UJN and YJU, AC500S/500U. GAM shrikes, Aerometrex survey. Hope this helps.

Kemerton
19th Feb 2013, 08:11
VH-UJU united photo and graphic. GAM. Circa 1994-1999

Horatio Leafblower
19th Feb 2013, 08:25
Atlass Aviation:

U206G VH-JEK, 2007 -
BE36 VH-IOL, 2008-
PN68 VH-CFT, 2011-

All used on LiDAR for ATLASS (Aust) pty Ltd

And good fun it was too :ok:

CasperA320
19th Feb 2013, 08:38
I have many hours on Fokker F-27 operated by East West airlines in survey for the CSIRO

CasperA320
19th Feb 2013, 08:41
In addition to above the call sign was VH-CAT

mendi63
19th Feb 2013, 08:46
Aerometrex

Beech V35TC - VH-MQS
Cessna 320D - VH-AIY

1980's - 1990's

tail wheel
19th Feb 2013, 09:45
I remember seeing B-17G F-BEEA in Port Moresby during the 1960s.

aroa
19th Feb 2013, 09:46
DRK C320E Southbank Avation, Wollongong/Albion Park
TMG C 182 Tamair, Tamworth
SIB TU206 Mapmakers, and Northern Air Surveys.
ACB C 310 was with Mapmakers before Reprograhics.
EXX AC680 FL Survair, Adelaide.
SXX PA 32RT-300T Northair Surveys, Mareeba FNQ

LadyLlamapilot
19th Feb 2013, 09:55
VH-KZC P-750 XSTOL, operated by UTS
VH-PZO, C210L, operated by Ozshore Aviation/GPX
Also, VH-MDG was operated by Ozshore Aviation/GPX on Aeromag, and also Nearmap for aerial photography, in addition to UTS.

Volumex
19th Feb 2013, 11:10
A52-306 became VH-WWS
Both A52-306 and A52-309 were PR Mk 41's.

Ref "Mosquito Monograph" David Vincent 1982 p 208
Photo of A52-306 is on page 207.

FAR CU
19th Feb 2013, 11:24
AERO COMMANDER 680 FL VH-BTN Aerotechnologies Pty Ltd Hobart

Extensive contracts Australia wide 1985-2005, including Sunmap in Queensland.

(C206 VH-PLE as noted in list, operated by Aerial Photographs and Surveys Pty Ltd. of Perth WA. Principal was the late Kingsley Watson. RC-9 camera. The years were approximately 1965 to 1975)

CESSNA 402B VH-PEH Rainbow Airlines, Albion Park, NSW
Proprietor - B Bradbury
Operated in 1990s on contract to BHP and others
RC-9 camera

Ex FSO GRIFFO
19th Feb 2013, 13:25
Fletcher FU-24 VH-EOG, 'Geo - Physical' survey in Pilbara WA, late 60's.
I ferried acft back, JT - BK, in March 1970.

boocs
19th Feb 2013, 15:57
And the Grand Daddy of them all, VH-UBU C-207, operated by Australian Aeronautical Academy Essendon Airport circa 1990 -2000???

b.

Bankstown Boy
19th Feb 2013, 19:42
Dont have all the data to hand but i thought i knew a few survey aircraft, only to see none of them on the list!

VH-ATO Nomad (sometimes P2-ATO) - I think has now been retired
VH-DEQ PA31-310 2008 - current
VH-TSO PA31-350 2006 - current

There are also 2 new (well, new to oz) f406's and another PA31, rego's elude me at the moment

Horatio Leafblower
19th Feb 2013, 21:26
What about all the Airpasture/UTS FU-24-720s that were running around WA in the late 90s?

rover5520
19th Feb 2013, 21:55
Army survey corps used a Cessna(182?),VH-RTG? based in Kalgoorlie in about 1967-68,for aerial photo-checking,cant remember pilot's name,maybe Mitch somebody?
We(Army survey)also had a Bell G3(B2?)at Wyndham(WA)a year or so before that,it was hired from Helicopter Utilities.There was a fixed wing (Cessna 182?) on that job too(always referred to by chopper pilot as "the tin thing").Can't remember rego for either of those two,but I think the F/W pilot had a LAME ticket to service the chopper,can't remember any names,though.

19th Feb 2013, 21:57
Unionair

VH-FWG - A65-8200
VH-TYV? lost in crash near Shepparton
VH-??? replaced TYV and lost in hanger fire
VH-RUU - B70

holdingagain
20th Feb 2013, 01:49
B35 VH SDD Operated by RQAC 1974 approx
- early quantity trials on coal mine stockpiles
- mapping around Mt Isa and CQ

B23 VH BZO Operated by Sunland Aviation 1974 approx
- vegatation mapping Military Restricted Areas East coast Aus
- vegatation mapping following satelite tracks east / west
between Moree to Rockhampton west to about Thargomindah

Cessna 180
20th Feb 2013, 03:10
I don't see AAM mentioned anywhwere. Probably the biggest aerial survey company in Aus- 8 planes plus with the aquisition of Vekta a total of 11.

ATO still going strong in PNG at the moment as well as the two 406's somebody mentioned.

Fris B. Fairing
20th Feb 2013, 03:48
Thanks to everyone who has posted a response or sent me a PM. I will respond individually as I process all of the contributions.

Taily, your B-17 is on the list along with a Bruce Hoy photo:

F-BEEA (http://www.adastra.adastron.com/aircraft/misc/others.htm#F-BEEA)

Rgds

LadyLlamapilot
20th Feb 2013, 05:04
Also VH-OZO, Cessna 404, Did some mag/spec for Ozshore Aviation/GPX Surveys.

Capt Casper
20th Feb 2013, 05:47
In the early sixties as an apprentice aircraft fitter, I was involved in the instalation of a Wilde vertcal camera and a drift sight in a Piper Aztec VH- FWH operated by James Air Charter. Unfortunately I have no information to add as to whom the possible user may have been or whether any contracts were fulfilled. It was certainly flight tested.

FAR CU
20th Feb 2013, 19:03
In 1967 Jack Masling (Cootamundra) hired his C310B VH-TTM to a Sydney
survey company, (Retalick?), who fitted a magnetometer. The initial work was done in the Blackstone Range region of WA just west of Surveyor-Generals Corner. The pilot was an American, the late Lane Morrow.

Flying tigers
20th Feb 2013, 22:04
VH-ECF C421B
Australian Aerial surveys.

Miles Long
22nd Feb 2013, 01:08
Beech Duke VH IFD was operated by Kevron Aerial Surveys during the 80s. Also Queen Air CTE saw service with Kevrons at the same time.
IFD had a large aux tank fitted into the nose compartment (240l from memory).
We flew it to Asia a number of times and when full of gear and fuel we were always appreciative of the curvature of the earth for takeoffs. Whilst it looked like it was doing 100 mph standing still it was one of two aircraft ( the other was an Islander) that when the throttles were closed for landing the drag forced you forward into your straps.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Feb 2013, 07:03
Was that You in IFD ex KG, one day, on climb to FL's, when the #@*& heater wouldn't work, and you were *$#^ freezin', so you returned to KG., and when you called 'On descent inbound', you 'was politely informed' that we already KNEW THAT, as your mic was 'open' ....and had been for the whole of the climb..??

We knew all about the status of your *&#@ heater.....and your feet!!

Cheers:ok::ok:

Manubada
22nd Feb 2013, 08:04
Airesearch VH-SUV & AEA. A56TC Barrons. Had both of them up to FL280 many a time. Full military diluter demand oxy systems. Michael Costello was my navvy. Top lad and a great systems operator.

Miles Long
22nd Feb 2013, 10:07
What a memory you have Griffo...but honest and for true that wasn't me, but I do know who it was, however I still took a lot of well meaning crap from many many of you FSO characters for the sins of the other 2 guys.
The heaters were a lingering source of malcontent from IFD and KPY the turbo baron. We regularly flew them for long periods above FL250 with the heater not functioning properly and I can tell you it got colder than a mother in laws kiss.
I remember landing in Alice Springs after one such event and all 3 of us subsequently collapsing on the tarmac with jelly legs. That night we presented at the hospital with self diagnosed suspected frost bite but much to our disappointment we were diagnosed as being pissed and told to bugger off.
So much for compassion in the local health system.
I fully support the decision of those guys to return to Kal, open mike or not.

CharlieCharlie78
22nd Feb 2013, 12:41
Missing a fair few I know of :ugh:

Fris B. Fairing
22nd Feb 2013, 19:49
Missing a fair few I know of :ugh:

Thank you for that very helpful response. We're all in awe of your knowledge.

Fris B. Fairing
23rd Feb 2013, 01:31
I have uploaded most of the contributions received via this thread. If your aircraft isn't on the list yet please check for a PM. Some are subject to ongoing research e.g. the Unionair Queen Airs. While I realise that the project will never be complete we now have 313 aircraft on the list. Thanks to all who responded. Please keep them coming.

The Big List (http://www.adastra.adastron.com/aircraft/misc/survey-aircraft.htm)

Kabwum balus
4th May 2013, 02:15
Hey Frisbee Fairing,

In 1959 at Cootamundra I took a few photos of VH-AAG DH89 Rapide, operated by Alpine Airways of Cooma doing local aerial photo surveys.

Am an ex-survey pilot & navigator myself - can tell you more and also send you some images.

Ben:)

[email protected]

zac21
4th May 2013, 06:53
OK, there was C208B VH-NWT set up for mag work in Perth for a job over the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. Ferried via Hedland, Bali, Kuching, Seletar direct Ho Chi Minh City.
It would have been July to September 07.
I believe it went back there at a later date to do more work in the same area.

MakeItHappenCaptain
4th May 2013, 08:46
I took VH-EPF up to Taiwan last year. It was a Vlcanair P68 Turbo that was fitted up at Airborne Technologies in Austria before being ferried to Moorabbin where the Taiwanese pilots were type checked.

May technically be ineligible for inclusion as it didn't do any work (other than the test and calibration runs in Austria) before it went onto the Taiwanese register.:confused:

aroa
4th May 2013, 11:21
MapMakers Turbo Aztec VH-COC used to come down to fly jobs in Oz, late 60s/early 70s. Boorooloola/McCarthur River area, Cape York and Qld map sheets, I remember.
After independence in '75 was P2-COC and later P2 -MAP.

Also back again prior to MM getting TU 206 SIB from SIL in 1977/8? for Oz ops. Finally went off flying on its own in the Jan 1986 super storm in BNE. Vale SIByl.!

You sure used to freeze yr bits off at FL250 siting behind that Wild RC8 and camera hole!
Aahh..the good old days...!:ok:

Qasco also had a Turbo Aztec in PNG...AYY ??...have some air to air pics of it near the Bena Gap somewhere. AEA Turbo Baron, mentioned elsewhere, was there for a while also.

aroa
5th May 2013, 08:12
B17 got a mention.:ok:

In late 60s/early 70s there was a DC 6B :ok: set up with side- scan radar and the images came out on a processsed roll 'on the fly'. Heaps of room for all that gear in such a big bird. Shown thru it at POM.
N number ?? Might have a pic some place.
In the mountainous terrain of PNG lots of "shadow" to be looked into on a later pass.
I believe it came on to Oz to fly areas here, later. Can anyone confirm that?
World Wide Surveys????

Fris B. Fairing
5th May 2013, 09:00
Thanks everyone for giving this thread a bump. I'll process the latest additions at the first opportunity.

aroa is this your DC-6 (http://www.adastra.adastron.com/projects/westinghouse-dc6.htm)?

Rgds

aroa
5th May 2013, 11:48
FBF...Yep, thats her. The neurons nearly had it right with the W anyway, but..Westinghouse. There was a World Wide Surveys in the picture somewhere?...now where/what did they operate?

I think the sound of run ups and the take-off of the DC 6 has to be the ultimate "sky music"...equalled only by a passing Lancaster.
Four on the roar...magic.!:ok:
Or the same thing ..two Mosquitos in TIGHT formation, tucked up together,
back from target towing for Vampire gunnery students. Exeter. UK .1961.

Good to see an ex survey Mossie about to get back in the air in Canada.
For Oz..I wish !

holdingagain
8th May 2013, 03:39
Frisby
VH SDD and VH BZO dont apear in the big list
If it helps both had camera bays in the floor
Refer post 19 20th Feb

Fris B. Fairing
8th May 2013, 06:32
zac21
I have added C208B VH-NWT. Who was the operator at the time? Polar?

MakeItHappenCaptain
Your P68T would qualify if it conducted survey ops within Aust, even for training purposes. Was the training for pilots only or for survey operators as well? Clearly the survey ops in Taiwan were under Taiwanese registration.

aroa
Aztec VH-COC is already on the list as is TU206 VH-SIB. I suspect your Aztec might have been VH-PYY which is also on the list.

holdingagain
I have added Bonanza VH-SDD and Musketeer VH-BZO. I seem to recall sending you a PM a while back seeking confirmation that it wasn't simple oblique handheld camera out the window stuff. Your confirmation that they both had holes in the floor does it.

Thanks again for the contributions.

The Big List is here (http://www.adastra.adastron.com/aircraft/misc/survey-aircraft.htm#Latest)

Rgds
Ron

Seagull V
11th May 2013, 08:52
Fris B.
Please check your PMs
Seagull V

Stationair8
12th May 2013, 01:20
What about VH-KAK Shrike 500, that was owned by a pastoral company but leaesed out for vertical photography during the late 1970'?

Fantome
12th May 2013, 03:01
Earlier talk here a few posts back about heater failure. Not related to photo survey but to cloud seeding, in 1968 the Masling C310 VH-AER was contracted to the Department of the Interior in Canberra for rain-making over the Cotter Dam catchments as the capitol was in the grip of a severe drought.

The cloud seeding officer from CSIRO seconded to the operation was the late Arthur Tapp, who had been a nav on Lancs during the war. A very droll soul.
He was training a new recruit from BOM in the fine art of rain dancing.
On his first op without being overseen, this bloke was violently ill on descent back into Canberra. Quite a relief to pull up, open the door and get some fresh air circulating. His first job on deplaning was to fetch a bucket of water and a cloth and clean up the right side of the panel. Also to carefully remove all trace of his bacon and egg breakfast, evidenced by little greasy scraps hanging off the instrument post lights.

The next morning the two of us went off again, three hours of silver iodide and acetone in the tank. After two hours of boring back and forth through thick stratus at 14,000 feet, minus 10 on the OAT, the Janitrol heater packed up, resulting in minutes in numb tootsies. When we could bear it no longer we gave it away and headed on down. As soon as we pulled up outside the aero club the trainee chappy hobbled off inside to warmer climes. Arto Tapp was standing by the wing root and the step saying to me "Well, aren't you going to get out?" "Can't yet" said I, "Just waiting for some feeling to come back in the feet."

Arto's response was more than curious, for he said "Mick has none at all and never will." It took a while to discover the meaning of this cryptic remark.
Arto in fact was in mild shock. He had just had a phone call from his head office. His fellow cloud seeder in CSIRO and life long friend, Mick Heffernan, in Hobart the evening before, had walked out of the Ocean Child Hotel in Argyle Sreet, most likely a little unsteady on his feet, right into the path of a passing car. There was driving rain and wind at the time. Mick died in the ambulance.

re VH-AAG, the aforementioned Dragon Rapide of Alpine Airways, in 1958 and 1959 she came to airshows in Canberra, there to drop on each occasion four white overalled parachutists as part of the display. The fate of this red and white liveried beauty is recorded in the DH89 data files.

12.12.52. Op 2.53-2.56 by [Airwork-owned] South Island Airways, Christchurch. Regn cld
24.1.57 and shipped to Sydney 1.57 on SS Kaitoke. Stored crated until late .58. Regd VH-AAG
19.8.58 to Alpine Airways Pty Ltd, Cooma, NSW (C/n quoted as 6684). Regd 16.8.60 to Robert
G [Bob] Carswell, t/a Carsair Air Service Pty Ltd, Archerfield (later Darwin). Badly damaged by
engine start-up fire Banyan Station Airstrip, NT 12.12.60. Repaired in the bush with replacement
mainplanes; reflown 16.2.61. Leased to Darwin Air Taxis wef 10.61. Collided with kangaroo at
Wolner Station, NT 27.2.63 which broke lower main spar; reportedly ferried by air back to Darwin
where repairs abandoned. Remains donated to RAAF Leanyeh Range, nr Darwin and used as
target by RAAF Sabres early .64. Regn cld 21.12.64.

Is there anyone who may be able to confirm that the repairs at Banyan Station were undertaken by Ivan Unwin, more recently of Emu Park, Queensland?

Pardon this massive digression, Mr FF. I suspect you will not be too cross. In the latest FLIGHTPATH the piece on the recently restored Beech 17, VH-UXP, says that this aircraft has camera hatches.

In the Big List there are five DH84 Dragons listed. Another was VH-APP, 'Auntie', of Brown and Dureau. This one is featured on page 178 of 'The South West Book', an ACF publication that came out in 1979. In the 1940s the company did work in Tasmania. In the book it states that Brown and Dureau had on strength a Dragon and a Dragonfly. There is a photograph of VH-APP on the beach at Cox's Bight in the far SW of the State. The Dragonfly is not identified. The DCA registers of civil aircraft held at the Airways Museum in Essendon are a good source of information as to who owned and operated what.

Kabwum balus
26th May 2013, 23:32
Hey Far CU,

As did your good self, I too flew AC680FLP BTN & also C402B PEH plus C421C NSW amongst others. Flew Do27 & AC520 in Europe, including infra-red scanning of major rivers for pollution monitoring before that. Started out as a survey navigator on low-level aero-magnetometer work in WA & Qld. mid-1960's, DHC2 SMH & AAS, prior to which I was a ground prospector, initially solo geochemical including gravity survey & grid pegging for geophysical & drill crews (northern SA) then team geophysics on induced polarisation in WA - Kalgoorlie/Kambalda area - leading to the aeromag job on the dear old Beaver - being in the final stages of gaining my CPL.

Ben
:)

[email protected]

Stationair8
27th May 2013, 10:18
Reference VH-KAK, it was actually leased by Tasair over the summer while they used there Shrike 500 VH-EX? for vertical photography.

My informant can't recall the actual year and if the contract was with the Hydro or another state govermnet department.

Springhill
11th Jul 2014, 23:35
Could I ask you a few questions about EPF please? I am considering purchasing a P68C and would very like to hear about the TC version.
Who owns this aircraft now? Where is it being operated?
Cheers

Oceanhopper
12th Jul 2014, 08:56
Could not read thie list, but did VH MDG(MaDoG) get on it also VH IBY and VH STB, (C210's) All flown throughout WA in 2012 by a lucky few pilots......

Fris B. Fairing
13th Jul 2014, 22:32
Oceanhopper

The list is Here (http://www.adastron.com/adastra/aircraft/misc/survey-aircraft.htm)

Your three nominations are already on the list.

Rgds

dubbleyew eight
14th Jul 2014, 04:43
RUU and the queen air that crashed at shepparton were used for aerodist ops by the army survey corps.

Fris B. Fairing
14th Jul 2014, 05:12
That would be TYV. Both are already on the list.

Rgds

Centaurus
14th Jul 2014, 13:38
I know the subject is Australian surveys but tribute should be made to RAAF Canberra crews that surveyed PNG in the Sixties plus all the area including New Britain and New Ireland down to Honiara in the Solomon Islands. One of their pilots is a mate of mine living in Melbourne. His story is fascinating.

Fris B. Fairing
14th Jul 2014, 22:14
Centaurus

IIRC that would be Operation Skai Piksa and I agree that it is worthy of coverage in its own right. Unfortunately, when I started the list it was decided not to include military ops as there is limited information available. I would like to read that story though.

Rgds

AussieO2
17th Jun 2015, 02:07
VH-AYE, Cessna 411A, c/n 411A0228, VH-AEA, Beech A56TC/A1, c/n TG-91 and VH-SFR, GAF N22SL, c/n N22S-90, all once with Reprographics.

aroa
17th Jun 2015, 07:14
AYE ...was that the one that crashed at Archerfield..?

AEA was at one time with Qasco in PNG...before or after.?

I have a pic of the Nomad somewhere..was it just operating for Coast Watch tho as it had a radome under the nose.?

And one for Centaurus...you be de story man. Can you get yr Skai Piksa mate to write it all down for you and give us some anecdotes ?? :ok:

17th Jun 2015, 23:44
RUU and the queen air that crashed at shepparton were used for aerodist ops by the army survey corps.

RUU never had the Aerodist installed.

FWG had the Aerodist installed. The 25mm coax aerial cabling was permanently installed in the wings of FWG as was the structure for the wing-tip aerials.

RUU carried WREMAPS-II equipment and/or a RC10 camera. Part of the WREMAPS-II installation was a "bomb bay" door for the laser, RC10 navigation sight and 70mm strip film camera.

WREMAPS
WREMAPS | DSTO (http://www.dsto.defence.gov.au/innovation/wremaps)

Centaurus
18th Jun 2015, 07:26
And one for Centaurus...you be de story man. Can you get yr Skai Piksa mate to write it all down for you and give us some anecdotes ??

I have just had a chat with him and he will give it a go in the next week or so. He said he was given a couple of days notice to go away for six weeks to photograph from his Canberra bomber, all of PNG including New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomons. He took a navigator and two technicians. All hand flying up to 40,000 ft single pilot and no autopilot on the Canberra.

And just digressing on an allied subject. Talked to an Airbus pilot the other day. He was on a recurrent simulator training session. The session was completed in well under scheduled time so the simulator instructor asked the first officer (a former FTA cadet with total of 700 hours in his log book) if he would like to do some general flying practice of his own choosing. The former cadet refused saying he just wanted to go home. Such boundless enthusiasm from someone with such low flying experience.

The simulator instructor was annoyed at this attitude and said "you are not going home - you will practice some circuits. The first officer was dismayed, saying he had not had time to study how to fly circuits. This crap from a second in command of a large jet transport.

Homesick-Angel
18th Jun 2015, 14:46
Centaurus ..

I'm always first in line to bash low hour cadets cos frankly they didn't have to do the hard yards , are way better paid than I was (and probably still am) and in many cases probably have me in the looks department as well... But there may be more to this than meets the eye.

Or not but hear me out .

Bashing Circuits in the sim may sound like a simple thing, but is an unusual offer as far as I'm aware in recurrent training (Sim guys and gals?) So the FO may have felt it was a bit of a trick or something that he should've prepared for (SOP,s more than anything else - not that id imagine there'd be many if any for an Airbus?)

Despite modern day human factors and open reporting fairness in the workplace etc, The industry as a whole is set up for a pilot to go 20 years without incident and be strung up for the one wrong step .

I've seen people make relatively small errors early in their careers and have themselves tainted for the rest of their time at that particular employer and its affected their progression.

Maybe he was just fearful of judgment ? They don't handfly much at all.

Has it always been this way?

Saying all that, I woulda taken the circuits in a second...

aroa
19th Jun 2015, 00:54
Centaurus. Looking fwd to that.

I recall seeing the Canberra blasting out of POM. On the way up to $40K ft at least they would have had a great view to see where the cloud free areas were.

Meanwhile we spent all morning chugging up to 20K in old COC /MapMakers and freezing the vital assets in the process.!
Was entertaining to try and fly a straight line across the terrain from a map with a big blank in it stating ' No photographic coverage this area'
Trouble is all those jungle covered ranges looked the same !.
Ah.. the good old days.:ok: