PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 mail & AOL account

ex_matelot
18th Feb 2013, 21:16
I'm having snags getting my AOL account to work on windows mail. I can receive emails but if I attempt to send they just get stuck in my outbox.

I have googled this and it appears to be a common problem. Has anyone here had this problem and found a solution?

I can send email as normal if I do it via logging in to AOL.com - just can't get windows mail to configure correctly.

Cheers.

Milo Minderbinder
19th Feb 2013, 16:39
AOL mail usually has to be set up manually to work with a Microsoft client - the auto feature usually goes wrong

settings for AOL mail should be

incoming
Server imap.aol.com or imap.aim.com
Security - none
Port 143

outgoing
Server smtp.aol.com or smtp.aim.com
Security - none
Port 587

user name needs to include the full email address - e.g. [email protected]
NOT just the AOL user name of fredbloggs

ex_matelot
19th Feb 2013, 19:49
I've just tried that. Started from scratch adding the account etc. It "connects" and I can see previous sent / received mail but if I try to send using windows mail it still goes straight to the outbox and is undeletable - unless I delete the account.

Cheers anyway Milo:ok:

Bollocks to Windows mail!

And I'm pretty sure a 'bollocks to Windows 8' will be in order once I fathom it's intracasies:}

Milo Minderbinder
19th Feb 2013, 20:33
have you tried using both the aol and aim servers?
I sometimes find one stops working for no reason and have to switch to the other
also try options on which version of your e-mail address you use:
e.g. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] should all work, but sometimes one will stall while the others get through

note - any of the e-mail variants can be used with either server

and your comment re Windows 8 seems valid
The Register reported this morning that only 2% of world computers are using it, for Win7 after the similar period the figure was 5% - and if I remember correctly, Win7 was released mid-year, not for the Xmas rush as Win8 was