PDA

View Full Version : Dignity in Dying

Erwin Schroedinger
17th Feb 2013, 13:53
Here's a cheerful topic: Terminal illness and assisted death.

However, on the basis that it pays to think ahead, what legal rights would you wish to have on your side, or on the side of a loved one, if you, or they, had terminal cancer, motor neurone disease or any similarly horrific illness and faced the certainty of a slow and painful death, with a quality of life way into negative numbers?

A Google of this exact word or phrase: "dignity in dying" will provide a link to the Dignity in Dying campaign website/blog etc. I won't risk a link, in case it causes problems.

From the site:

'Terminally ill Britons, who want control and choice over the dying process, continue to be forced to take matters into their own hands either at home in the UK or by travelling abroad to die. A better way forward is possible. 2013 is the year we begin to make a change in the law on assisted dying possible, both to provide greater choice at the end of life and, by providing up-front safeguards, greater public safety'.

The website tries to provide you with an overview of the plan for the coming year, with information on how you can make a real difference.

One of these days, you, or a loved one, might be glad you took a few minutes to look it up.

airship
17th Feb 2013, 14:17
But why just limited to Terminal illness and assisted death? :confused:

There are lots of folks out there today (including meself), who might well entertain an easy, painless way out of the current rat-race. Perhaps today already experiencing, or at least looking forward to a time when retirement (or premature lack of adequate employment) means finding themselves in a position where they cannot afford to properly feed themselves with any better than horse-burgers and relying on food agencies redistributing food thrown-out from supermakets, or heat their homes or even afford to have their own pets anymore. Where is the quality of life? Even pets are "put-down" when their quality of life suffers.

I get the impression most recently that few citizens are bothered. Our governments certainly are not. Unsure how much influence from the all-pervasive religious institutions are involved.

I don't want to end up in an old people's home, bathed once a week at best, fed with horse-meat burgers and soup, and not allowed to post here in JB...?! Or put a bullet in my brain immediately and forthwith, if that's all I can look forward to.

vulcanised
17th Feb 2013, 14:26
The most dignified way I know, and the one I will use if/when it comes to it, is a polythene bag over the head and taped tightly around the neck.

Sit back quietly, think your last, drift into unconsciousness as you use the last of the oxygen, never wake up.

cavortingcheetah
17th Feb 2013, 14:51
The government should require people to obtain a Life Permit, starting at the age of fifty and renewable every five years thereafter until the age of seventy at which point the licence would be renewed annually. There'd have to be a decent sort of charge for the permit, say $100 a time and the applicant would have to satisfy certain basic requirements for permit issuance. Such requirements would obviously include a health and finance review as well as police clearance certificate and statement of valid usage from friends, relatives or work place. All those who either did not apply for an LP (Life Permit) or who failed to satisfy the minimum requirements would be taken away at government expense and destroyed.

fernytickles
17th Feb 2013, 15:34
A family friend was deeply involved in the International Humanist & Ethical Union. Some years ago, she sent out a note to family & friends announcing that she planned to follow her beliefs, (I think she was in her eighties at this point), and bow out with dignity. About a month later, a second note came, this time from her family to let everyone know that she had died as she wished.

I really admire her for her courage, and the support she gave to the organisation she believed in. I believe everyone should be able to have the right to die in a manner they choose should they so wish.

stuckgear
17th Feb 2013, 15:50
dignity in dying..

i would like to contend that. there is no dignity in death, what we can do is provide dignity to the remaining days of life.

The case of Tony Nicklinson was both heartbreaking and devastating to all that followed it. There was no dignity in death, but he could have been given dignity in life.

It's also the case for degenerative disease like MND. there is no dignity in death, but we can provide those with such unimaginable limited futures dignity in life.

Krystal n chips
17th Feb 2013, 16:04
" but we can provide those with such unimaginable limited futures dignity in life. "

A very salient comment.....:ok:

I knew somebody who died from MND, an engineer, and a really genuine person...he got a lot of support from all of us over the time the illness developed.

At his well attended funeral no less, the then station engineer, ever one of lifes natural aŁ$holes was heard to say that, if anybody else contracted a similar condition, he wasn't having another X X on his station.

I don't think I'm alone in hoping he has a lingering and painful death.

cavortingcheetah
17th Feb 2013, 16:10
The International Humanist and Ethical Union has come a long way since the Amsterdam Declaration in 1952 in which it proclaimed ethical humanism as a faith. Since then the Union has spent much time and effort trying to destroy that of others and in propounding atheism and godlessness.
Tony Nicklinson had no dignity remaining to him in his own life and thus presumably cared little about losing any in death. The problem that needed and still needs to be addressed as a consequence of his tragic circumstance is the position of those who aid and abet in the termination of life especially when that life offers no further option of dignity to the stake holder.
The problem that all persons of spiritual faith encounter is of the what if variety. It must take some courage, apart from the final act itself, if one thinks for one moment in time that burning in hell for all eternity might be a very real consequence of one's action?

fitliker
17th Feb 2013, 16:18
The Druids had a very nice way of offing those who did not put out.
Ah, for the good old days of Pagan rituals before those pesky Christians and all their fricken moralities.
BRING BACK THE DRUIDS :}:}

cavortingcheetah
17th Feb 2013, 16:21
Yes exactly, a good example, the Druids. Precisely the sort of people with whom one would have to cavort if you'd topped yourself and found your soul in Hell as a consequence.

Slasher
17th Feb 2013, 17:03
Buggered if I'm going to be bumped off by some "youth in Asia"
method - I'd rather go out while fighting to protect a damzel in
distress or something....

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGx8WIAZKDYbZ6Nbj0OkO5twmw-OM9J_juTZZFyUYFcyu_QvAgvA

That or being shot in the back by a angry husband!