PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth crash?

Cornish Jack
17th Feb 2013, 11:39
Tried to install Google Earth on two separate occasions recently and both appeared to install but, when initiated, the 'pooter' crashed after a couple of seconds of opening screen.Using XP and refused to allow Chrome as part of the installation. Have used GE previously on same machine OK but lost it after doing a complete reload.
Not the most important thing in my life, but useful on occasion, so can anyone suggest likely problem and/or fix, please?

Milo Minderbinder
17th Feb 2013, 12:46
its probably trying to run in OpenGL mode
Use DirectX mode - the choice is in the startup menu

Cornish Jack
17th Feb 2013, 13:30
Thanks, Milo - problem is the start up sequence only gets to flash the opening screen and then crashes; not really enough time to change anything. Given that my OS is getting somewhat 'long in the tooth', might it be a revamped GE not liking old software?

OFSO
17th Feb 2013, 13:46
I confirm that on a couple of recent occasions, when I clicked on the icon Google Earth started to load and then froze leaving me with a black square where the globe normally apears. Had to restart it, and it worked.

I think Cornish Jack is correct.

Pelikal
18th Feb 2013, 14:11
I think Milo is correct, I was having issues and somehow switched to DirectX and all worked. If you can't get to the panel where you can switch from OpenGL not sure what to suggest to be honest.

M.Mouse
18th Feb 2013, 14:33
In my version I go to 'Start' - 'Google Earth' and there are two options within that folder - 'Start Google Earth in OpenGL Mode' and 'Start Google Earth in DirectX Mode'. No need to get into the program to alter settings.

Milo Minderbinder
18th Feb 2013, 16:04
Mr Mouse is absolutely correct - the choice is in the Windows start menu, not within the program

Cornish Jack
18th Feb 2013, 21:41
OFSO, Pelikal, MM and Milo - Thank you all.
The ways of confusers and Google Earth are truly wondrous!!:mad::ugh:
Have just downloaded a different version of GE with a dl prefix and not only was the d/l much faster but the installation was at least 3 times faster and it initialised and opened without a reboot and, wonder of wonders, NO CRASH!!
Even if someone could offer an explanation, I wouldn't stand a hope in Hell of understanding it! Used to say that 'pooters' is simple - must be - they only deal with 0s and 1s ...what a load of horlicks!

Milo Minderbinder
19th Feb 2013, 16:16
where were you originally trying to download from? It sounds like maybe it was some kind of fake?