PDA

View Full Version : Macgyver Moment

Cyber Bob
17th Feb 2013, 06:25
Blasted retaining pin broke on my watch last night resulting in a rather limp dangling bracelet. Needed a quick fix and managed to self repair with a paper clip .

Feeling pretty pleased and smug I can tell you. Such a good job, might not even visit my local jeweler and part with £30. With that in mind, can anyone better that with their 'Macgyver Moment'?

skydiver69
17th Feb 2013, 09:57
Using blu tack to keep the sole of a boot on as a get me home repair.

TWT
17th Feb 2013, 10:09
Paper clips also good to replace the tiny screws that hold the 2 arms of your glasses on.Side-cutters handy to cut off excess wire.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th Feb 2013, 10:10
Using a map of Mannheim, Germany to direct a coach driver around Lille, France.

They were topographically equivalent for the route we were taking, and he didn't notice.

p.s. never give your boss the only map! Said boss did literally fail to organise a p!ss up in a brewery the next year.

probes
17th Feb 2013, 10:58
4 soup cans (empty, Ža 3 liter) to support a bed?

vulcanised
17th Feb 2013, 11:50
Using the innards of a 'chocolate block' electrical connector to re-join the clutch cable on my mower.

G-CPTN
17th Feb 2013, 12:01
Using the innards of a 'chocolate block' electrical connector to re-join the clutch cable on my mower.
Now that demonstrates a make-do-and-mend engineering mind!

Akrotiri71
17th Feb 2013, 12:14
Cut out part of a soft-drinks can to replace the rupture disc on the cooling water outlet of a HP compressor. No spare in the stores.

merlinxx
17th Feb 2013, 12:21
BIC pen tops as ear wax extractors

G-CPTN
17th Feb 2013, 12:31
Many years ago (early 1950s), my father used an old penny to replace a core plug of a Humber engine block. He used a ball-pein hammer to dish the penny before tapping it into place and then flattening the dish to secure the penny in place. That lasted as long as we kept the car (and probably during its life with the next owner, too).

arcniz
17th Feb 2013, 12:41
Paper clips also good to replace the tiny screws that hold the 2 arms of your glasses on.Side-cutters handy to cut off excess wire.

The steel wires that come inside the ubiquitous small "twist-ties" used in myriad sorts of packaging and even garden training can serve well for replacing lost screws in glasses.. can be looped around multiple times for better stability... and serious cutters not needed for the job... just a nick from a file or scissor.

Dushan
17th Feb 2013, 14:29
Using a string that ties the top of a sail bag to replace the throttle cable on a VW and control the speed by pulling on it by hand. Got me home.

lomapaseo
17th Feb 2013, 14:30
speed tape to hold important bits on an airplane together

mike-wsm
17th Feb 2013, 14:47
Wooden lollipop stick to hold ht ignition cable in distrbutor cap of girl-friend's Morris Minor

OFSO
17th Feb 2013, 14:47
Using "UHU Glue" to reattach a crown to a tooth. Dentist said it's OK to use in the mouth, will hold crown on well but not too difficult to remove cown when "permament" fix is necessary eventually (or eventually necessary).

Incidently you hafta be careful: look at the ingredient in "superglue" and you'll know why a friend collapsed a few days after using it to repair his dental plate....

500N
17th Feb 2013, 15:14
OFSO

I don't have any superglue, what is the ingredient ?

Farrell
17th Feb 2013, 15:22
Cyanoacrylate

Mac the Knife
17th Feb 2013, 15:24
I use Superglue to "spot-weld" skin-grafts in place.

No one has died yet!

Mac

:\

arcniz
17th Feb 2013, 15:25
Cyanoacrylate in the original 3M product (50's.. it cost more than gold then) and in the inexpensive store products today.

A variant with more user friendly chemistry was created for replacing stitches in certain surgery situations. Should be findable on a search.

...ya beat me on the draw. Mac! Maybe you can read the label and tell us what it says.

OFSO
17th Feb 2013, 15:26
No and I haven't experienced any ill effects with Cyanoacrylate on my skin, but there was something about using it in a saliva-rich environment....

If any member of JB has used it to reattach a foreskin perhaps they could let us know what happened.

arcniz
17th Feb 2013, 15:31
Would be interesting to hear a bit about the psychology behind that, also.

500N
17th Feb 2013, 15:52
Had the rear sight of a rifle fly off when hunting, right in the middle
of shooting a Buffalo quite close.

Surprisingly, found the sight in the long grass, glued it back on
and it's still there today !

Dushan
17th Feb 2013, 15:59
(urban?) legend says superglue was invented during Vietnam war to close wounds on the battlefield.

MadsDad
17th Feb 2013, 16:27
In a mini with the battery in the boot, lead under car from back to front, landed badly after a jump, squidged the power lead under the car so it was shorting out.

Solution. Disconnect lead. Then one pair of jump leads, clipped together, out of the boot, into the back window, out the front window, under the bonnet. Got us home.

Loose rivets
17th Feb 2013, 17:42
let's get this straight. It was the mini making the jump, or did the jumper land on an upturned mini, or did . . . oh, never mind.:ooh:

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Feb 2013, 18:30
Static line strops used as a pull starter for a DC3 with a US starter motor.

When I played hockey, cyanoacrylate was used to glue up superficial facial injuries. There's a reason little children run away screaming when they see me.

Tarq57
17th Feb 2013, 21:05
Large crescent spanner onto the steering nut of a vehicle when the steering wheel broke. (prior accident, no-one had noticed the wheel had been fractured near the hub.)
Used it like a tiller, got me to the auto shop.

tony draper
17th Feb 2013, 21:38
Best bit of fettling on filum, that German cove building a new aeroplane out of a broken one in Flight of the Phoenix,the original movie, not the shite remake.
The daftest, that lady disarming a nuclear bomb with her high heels in that filum about stolen nukes who's title escapes me at the mo.
:rolleyes:

racedo
17th Feb 2013, 22:06
I use Superglue to "spot-weld" skin-grafts in place.

No one has died yet!

Mac

But I bet they all do and you will be responsible.....

Oh Wait no that will be old age...sorry.:)

racedo
17th Feb 2013, 22:08
The daftest, that lady disarming a nuclear bomb with her high heels in that filum about stolen nukes who's title escapes me at the mo.

Peacemaker ? Clooney and Kidman.....

mini
17th Feb 2013, 23:26
Dropped car keys in a dirty great puddle one evening many moons ago, unscrewed door speaker (big magnet), taped it to a length of bamboo from the boot and used it to retrieve keys from puddle. Took 10 mins and my date was mighty impressed. :ok:

500N
17th Feb 2013, 23:30
mini

If she was impressed, I hope you were rewarded :O

cattletruck
18th Feb 2013, 00:07
The underside of my exhaust pipe on my vehicle had rusted out completely just after the muffler.

One day I was changing the old leaking metallic toilet cistern with a new plastic one. The old cistern's water downflow pipe just happenned to be the perfect circumference and it even came with a bracket.

After a quick cut to size, a couple of hits with a mallet and tightening the bracket my vehicle now sported a chrome tipped exhaust. :cool:

I was waiting it to fall off, it never did.

MagnusP
18th Feb 2013, 11:32
Excess bits cut from guitar strings are good for clearing blocked windscreen washer jets.

Soft cotton handles from MrsP's clothes-shop bags are ideal for tidying cables and hoses.

Groundbased
18th Feb 2013, 11:33
Once filled up my fiat uno with oil at a garage, failed to replace the oil cap and drove off. Looked in rear view mirror at 80mph to see clouds of black smoke.

Stopped and walked back but couldn't find the oil filler cap anywhere.

A plastic sandwich bag secured by a condom provided a makeshift replacement cover for the oil filler and got us back home.

wings folded
18th Feb 2013, 11:50
A plastic sandwich bag secured by a condom

That might be a clue as to where you put the oil filler cap...