PDA

View Full Version : More good news for users of Royal Mail mail order

Haraka
16th Feb 2013, 06:10
This just in from Hannants Model Mail order :

Message. Following recently unannounced new rules weregret we are currently unable to despatch certain items through the post byRoyal Mail. These include Xtracolor and Humbrol enamel paints, Alclad products,liquid glues etc etc. What they regard as inflammables. Many of our orders arehaving these items removed and destroyed and then they are returning the restof the parcel to us.

ParcelForce say they can still accept them for now whichis strange as they are essentially the same firm. Now if you put any of theaffected items into your cart you will not see the cheaper Royal Mail postageoptions. Only the more expensive ParcelForce option will be visible andavailable. Customers who's orders weighed over 2kg will not notice anydifference as these were always sent by ParcelForce. You can remove any ofthese items from your cart to see the Royal Mail postage rates.

Acrylic paints are not affected though they do say wecannot send more than 4 bottles per parcel. 4 x 12ml or 4 x 150ml does not seemto matter so long as it is no more than 4.

This is to the UK AND Overseas.

We do realise that the Royal Mail website says that wecan send enamel paints but as mentioned above they are ripping open the parcelskeeping the paint and returning the rest to us so in affect we cannot despatch.

We do realise that this is all ridiculous and have toldRoyal Mail so.

Always the problem with safety regulations. Rules are made for the protection of us all which give no latitude for interpretation by officials. Immediately there are logical exceptions , however these cannot risk being accommodated by the system at large ( i.e. by poorly educated functionaries) so innocent people are therefore inconvenienced.

But why does is it always seem to be me? L

500N
16th Feb 2013, 06:17
Well they should proably use the word "flammables"
instead of "inflammables" to save a bit of confusion.

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2013, 06:44
Having flown Royal Mail 5 nights a month in my 'retirement job', I wonder anything gets anywhere with its contents intact.

Even the speck of lithium? in a life-jacket battery was refused by the dispatcher. It was the same kind as those on board.

How did they know what was in the parcel?

Haraka
23rd Feb 2013, 05:35
Continuing the saga , this below in from Hannants this morning. It's now apparently due to "the Airlines". So , Internationally, does this apply to any of you others using mail order around the world?
Message. Regarding the problems we are having posting outpaints we are sorry but there is no good news. We have been told that thissituation will not change and has originated from the airlines and also appliesto surface rates as they cannot guarantee the parcel will not go by air at somepoint it it's journey. We cannot send enamel paints and a few other items likeZap glues etc unless it goes by ParcelForce who are more expensive than RoyalMail. We get no pleasure or money from this because it goes to ParcelForce. Ourwebsite has been modified so if you put any items in your cart that Royal Mailwill not take you will only see the ParcelForce rates. We are aware that thereare a few other shops that can still send paints and we have been told they arenot allowed to either and it is only because they have not been spotted yet andover time they will also be stopped. We advise you to buy as much paint as youcan from your local model shop, at shows, my post from anyone who can stillsend it or, of course, from us and have it sent by ParcelForce. Stock up now.We are continuing to look for a firm that will take enamels. If you know anyplease do let us know….

Erwin Schroedinger
23rd Feb 2013, 05:42
Based upon the battered condition of some of the mail and parcels delivered by Royal Mail, they themselves are nothing better than wild enamals.

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Feb 2013, 08:09
I've been involved in shipping small quantities of hazardous materials around for years, and the rules have not changed. Royal Mail have never allowed these items to be shipped (or at least not since the 1980s at least).
All thats happened is that either that Royal Mail have realised what business this paint company is in, or else they have tightened up the security checks.
Either way, all they are doing is abiding by the rules. No hazardous goods by post.
And yes, the risk of them going by air is part of the equation. Dangerous goods - even in limited quantities -have to be packed and labelled in accordance with IATA (or in some cases ICAO) regulations. As aviators you should all be more than aware of that.

UniFoxOs
23rd Feb 2013, 09:41
GPO are not the only ones that are inconsistent. A while back I sent some soil samples for analysis via a well known parcel company. The most solid box I could find to pack these in was a shotgun cartridge box, which I cut down to size to save weight, and it stood about 3/4 the height of the original.

The local van collected this no problem and took it to their hub. I was then advised that they would not ship this as it was dangerous, despite the fact the the box was obviously second hand (and weighed nowhere near as much as it would have had it really contained ammo) and they could not ship it to a UK location 100 miles away.

Strangely enough, though, they could return it to me in one of their vans!

Slightly amused as their name is that of an explosive!

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Feb 2013, 09:58
UniFox
were the old shipping classification marks still on the box?
or the ammunition hazchem labels?

Haraka
23rd Feb 2013, 11:02
At last we have somebody who is cogniscent of the the regs ( Milo) .
So how do you ship sealed 10ml containers ( half the size of a cotton reel) of oil based , or acrylic paints, around by air?
Is there a proven threat that quantities of this type and volume are dangerous?
I am very interested to know.

Captivep
23rd Feb 2013, 11:06
I'm impressed you could decipher those emails from that company...

Apologies for thread drift!