PDA

View Full Version : Mod Moving Threads

WhatsaLizad?
15th Feb 2013, 16:32
Get a clue.

You are trashing PPrune.

Bealzebub
15th Feb 2013, 16:48
Have you demanded a refund of your subscription?

WhatsaLizad?
15th Feb 2013, 16:59
No, but it has been a good site. Hate to see it continue to rival a Yahoo chatboard rather than a good place for aviation interests worldwide.

Got a better response?

lomapaseo
15th Feb 2013, 17:07
Got a better response?

I consider it good form when they point to the forum it was moved. That way I can guess at my own answers to why it was moved.

I hate it when stuff just disapears making me wonder if it really was that bad after all

SpringHeeledJack
15th Feb 2013, 17:26
Assuming that none of the users are paying, it must be that 'we' are the product. That is to say that the targeted banner adverts (and who knows, onsold information) are where the owners of pprune make money. Without the registered users, the site is of no worth. The vast majority of the users seem to be respectful and adult in their digital discourse, so it wouldn't be unfair to expect a modicum of respect from 'behind the curtain' so to say.

How about if the owner's administrators spent an hour or so creating some stock 'explanation paragraphs' that can be posted with no difficulty, such as "Thread removed due to abusive content", "Thread considered inappropriate to this forum" and so on. Many times I've seen posters asking "where did my thread/posts go ?" and it just seems so simple (to my simple mind) to reduce any bad feeling by sending a message to that person and/or a note within the forum. I appreciate that the mods are policing the forums for no gain, except a laptop and things can get monotonous, but as a courtesy to all the remote nodes of the system such a notification might be welcomed.

SHJ

FAR CU
15th Feb 2013, 17:27
Lom . . this seems to be a not infrequent experience . . .. the solution
is not immediately apparent . . ... as the moderators have the whip hand and will exercise it as moderately or authoritarianly as they choose . . . but it certainly is not to unsubscribe.

Liz. . . . don't go . .. . you have been a source of refreshing, thoughtful
comment and informed opinion for some 12 years now. (Just the sort
of qualified input that can turn a guest into a subscriber. Admin please note.)

It, as you say, has been a good site. And continues to be.

p.s. re indiscriminate mindless moving of threads to other forums, for case in point,
nothing beats that post shifting . . . the one about that meteorite you saw from your 'work station' being shifted from 'rumour and news'
to 'spotters' forum. ARF ARF

Shades of what confronts you trying to reason with some drongo in a call centre.

Lyman
15th Feb 2013, 17:32
Of course the goal of the moderators is to reduce traffic, piss off the content, and do themselves out of a job....

.....not

rgbrock1
15th Feb 2013, 17:58
There are threads which move Mods? Physically move them?

Wow. That's even scarier than meteors blowing up over Russia.

FAR CU
15th Feb 2013, 18:33
You very funny fellow rgb. Let me buy you drink in Doctor Syntax Hotel Sandy Bay Road Hobart

(The Boags is beaut . . . the Cascade crash hot . . and the VB vg. but
for my money matey nothing comes near to the old Kilkenney on tap . . the top drop .. .
puts hairs on yer hairs)

Slasher
15th Feb 2013, 18:46
(The Boags is beaut . . .

Only Taswegians say that. Nobody else does!

mikeygd
15th Feb 2013, 21:32
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots... I guess it didn't belong there.

For some strange reason I can't see a meteorite reporting section on PPRuNe (Don't they count as aviation?). So maybe the Mod put it in the best place he/she could think of.

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2013, 21:40
So maybe the Mod put it in the best place he/she could think of. Should be in NOTAMs . . .

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Feb 2013, 04:39
As long as they keep the drivel on R&N out of JB, I've got no problem with them.

unstable load
16th Feb 2013, 04:50
Plus 1 here.

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2013, 05:07
authoritarianly

That should be authoritarianistically, surely?

FAR CU
16th Feb 2013, 05:17
Ah . . . linguistically check mated . . .. . but reset the board . .. . the authoritarianistically challenged must combinatorally undermine, insidiously.

(Google was my friend again here, you see. )

Slasher
16th Feb 2013, 05:39
Your correctivity for linguasciousness is high for a member of the Taswegiana FARC. ;)

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2013, 07:12
And what's happened to Search function? I've put in several words I know were there and it's a Sorry bla bla bla.

Slasher
16th Feb 2013, 07:34
Mine works just fine Loose - try using just one word in each search instance.

david1300
16th Feb 2013, 07:45
My search function is also AWOL, or is that FUBAR?

toffeez
16th Feb 2013, 12:15
Does anyone know for sure how moderation comes to pass?

Is there a real live Mod or Modess-Godess always on duty, or more a software like a spam-catcher flagging up undesirable text for later review?

BOAC
16th Feb 2013, 12:40
Confirm search is fubar. I believe a mod posted an acknowledgement somewhere earlier.

From wholi
"Yep it's knackered again and been reported upwards again.

However, it's now the weekend in the USA so nothing likely to be solved for a while."

belfrybat
16th Feb 2013, 16:20
So where are the Mods being moved to?

Matari
16th Feb 2013, 16:31
I was struck by an incredibly rude PM I received by a certain Mod after some (I thought) innocuous post. Something about my being a confederate soldier or something, which could of course have been taken as a compliment.

I just considered the source, having seen many of the mod's own posts, and attributed it to a bad day, or probably a case of dementius culturus superioritus.

toffeez
16th Feb 2013, 17:15
Somewhere you old Rockers won't find them.

SpringHeeledJack
16th Feb 2013, 18:15
Earlier today an innocuous thread that I commented on, in the appropriate forum, simply disappeared. I mention this only as it's fresh in the mind, and as usual no-one has a clue why the thread disappeared. It's not the end of the world, but it just leaves one baffled :confused:

SHJ

Two's in
16th Feb 2013, 18:21
I believe threads disappear if the OP deletes their original post, so don't overlook that option...

Dushan
18th Feb 2013, 01:05
Search not working for me either? Can someone please clarify if this is by design or something is broken.

11Fan
18th Feb 2013, 01:54
Dushan,

Wholigan said it was dysfunctional but it has been reported to IB. You can search for threads that Wholigan posted in and find the actual statement....

oh wait.

Dushan
18th Feb 2013, 01:58
Always a joker, even on a hiatus.

11Fan
18th Feb 2013, 02:33
Yeah, getting my sea legs back though.

wings folded
18th Feb 2013, 12:55
I suppose a little bit related, when a familiar name appears with the "banned" placard alongside it, I never can work out why the said banning occurred.

That could well be because I did not see the offending remark, or pehaps I did but was not offended.

Is there any way of knowing why somebody received such a sanction?

Mr Chips
18th Feb 2013, 13:11
wings folded the offenders usually tell us when they return - but they are always innocent and just misunderstood ;)

KBPsen
18th Feb 2013, 13:16
Wholigan said it was dysfunctional Was it ever anything but?

That could well be because I did not see the offending remarkIt need not be made in public. There's a fair amount of activity behind the scenes as well.

MagnusP
18th Feb 2013, 13:53
I see Tableview has incurred the wrath of the Gods (or Mods).

wings folded
18th Feb 2013, 13:56
that, magnus, was what prompted my post.

"Where on earth" will be impoverished, nay, paralysed without him.

lomapaseo
18th Feb 2013, 14:14
"Where on earth" will be impoverished, nay, paralysed without him.

did he declared open house as he left ?

wings folded
18th Feb 2013, 14:21
did he declared open house as he left ?

Oh, bugger, hadn't thought of that. Will have to go and check.

wings folded
18th Feb 2013, 14:25
Been and checked.

Last thing showing was not an open tableview challenge. Phew. Could have gone a bit blue holdings one's breath.

sled dog
18th Feb 2013, 18:40
If you are showing as " Banned " how can you post :confused:

lomapaseo
18th Feb 2013, 18:46
If you are showing as " Banned " how can you post http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

True ... but most liberals are clairvoyant and and can see the writing on the wall before they post :)

Matari
19th Feb 2013, 02:53
I don't know why they keep banning Tableview, in all his various names and guises. You kinda know what you are getting with him, and enjoy or not accordingly.

In fact, I'm not sure what purpose banning serves, outside of well....better not say. A while back the mods seemed to disappear for a good month or so, in a protest of some kind from what I understand. Did anyone notice any degradation of quality? Ideally, the place kind of polices itself.

Seldomfitforpurpose
19th Feb 2013, 08:05
Not one to jump to their support as I often think a very high handed approach always offends however in the recent Gun Fiasco Whooligan did give fair warning for the bitching to stop, let it run for another week or so but it has now gone.

Not saying he pulled it but he did give fair warning, maybe a few other MODS could take a leaf so to speak........

Dushan
19th Feb 2013, 11:41
And what exactly was wrong with that thread? I didn't see any name calling and serious put-downs. Cartanly nothing like what Temp Spike used to dish out, but he is now gone. We are all big boys and don't need anyone to guard us from hurt feelings. Then again the thread was not advancing in the direction that was perhaps being seen as favorable so closing it was a face saving gesture.

Sayin'.

Seldomfitforpurpose
19th Feb 2013, 12:15
And what exactly was wrong with that thread? I didn't see any name calling and serious put-downs. What :eek: Cartanly nothing like what Temp Spike used to dish out, but he is now gone. We are all big boys and don't need anyone to guard us from hurt feelings. Absolutely, I have floated better things first thing in the morning than those that offer nothing but insult. Then again the thread was not advancing in the direction that was perhaps being seen as favorable so closing it was a face saving gesture.

Sayin'.

The thread was started in an attempt to discuss US gun control issues, the second anyone asked a question they were either labeled anti, sent to the hall of fame or told to keep their noses out of US matters.

There was no debate, just page after page of snipe, insult, avoidance and obfuscation, as predicted by the OP.

Whooligan issued a warning, folk did not heed, it was pulled.

Wholigan
19th Feb 2013, 14:04
Then again the thread was not advancing in the direction that was perhaps being seen as favorable so closing it was a face saving gesture.

Mr Dushan sir, as far as I (and several others) could see, the thread was not advancing in ANY direction.

It was merely locked into the spiral of "you said" / "no I didn't" / "you Americans are all idiots if you think you need guns" / "well you don't live in the States so what sodding right do you have to tell us what we can or can't do" / "I haven't told you what to do" / "yes you have in post 237" / "no I didn't and you can't prove it" / "well I can't now because you've changed your post" / "no I didn't" / "yes you did" / "anyway my aunt knew someone who used to live in the UK and they say that there are masses of killings by guns there and you ban guns there, so that shows how much you know" / "well my friend bought a parrot from someone who lives in the USA and they don't have a gun and they've never been killed so it proves that ownership of guns is bloody dangerous and you shouldn't allow it" / "there you go again telling us how to live in America when you've never even been here and know nothing about anything" / "I didn't tell you how to live" / " you said 'you shouldn't allow it' and that IS telling us" / "no it isn't" / " well sod you then, you never listen to what anybody says if they don't agree with you and I'm going to put you on my ignore list" / "that doesn't stop all you Americans (or Brits or Europeans or people living in China) being stupid"

I think that's a fair summary of the thread lately. ;)

I am also not sure who you think might be judging what is or is not a "favourable" direction. I certainly wouldn't dream of deciding whether it is right or wrong to own guns as far as that thread is concerned.

Seldomfitforpurpose
19th Feb 2013, 14:29
Wholigan,

Spot on :D:D:D:D:D

racedo
19th Feb 2013, 15:07
Mods in general do a pretty damm good job especially when they have to deal with idiots who post on here (yup i am included in that idiot comment as well.)

Sometime they may get it wrong but in the majority of cases they don't.

Even when I have annoyed the hell out of mods they have been tolerant (I thank you for that tolerance) but bottom line for everyone is you make a choice to be here.

Dushan
19th Feb 2013, 16:39
Wholigan, have you considered writing for Monty Python?

El Grifo
19th Feb 2013, 16:49
Huh Dushan, clearly you have never shared a bottle ot two with the fellow, or you would not be asking that question :ok:

Dushan
19th Feb 2013, 19:11
It was TIC, EG. It is obvious, in more ways than one, that I haven't...

Wholigan
19th Feb 2013, 19:42
But that would be a good thing to do sometime in the future Dushan. :ok:

Dushan
19th Feb 2013, 19:48
Sounds like a plan, First round's on me. Let me know when you plan to be on this side of the pond.:ok: