PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneer

Unwell_Raptor
20th Apr 2002, 19:53
I was in Llangollen at lunchtime today, and I looked up when I heard jet noise, not expecting the RAF to work weekends(!). I was surprised and delighted to see a Buccaneer at a few hundred knots and a few hundred feet, with a backdrop of mountains. Don't suppose I shall ever see another.

Windy Militant
22nd Apr 2002, 14:31
Hello Mr Raptor,
Was it in raspberry ripple livery? If so then its ex Boscombe Down. Delta jets at Kemble have just finished restoring it. Apparently its on its way to South Africa where it's joining "Wings over Cape Town". So get the Wife out working, sell the kids and you too can afford a jolly in a Buccaneer.:D

DamienB
22nd Apr 2002, 17:35
Some piccies to be found in this thread...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=471271#post471271

Unwell_Raptor
22nd Apr 2002, 20:19
That's the one!:)

Delta Whiskey
23rd Apr 2002, 08:55
Raptor - was watching Discovery Channel on a night shift last week and saw an item on a South African chap (in Cape Town) who runs a stable of (among other things) two Buccanneers and a two seat English Electric Lightning - they make a very pretty picture going by in formation. With a liberal application of Brass you can have your choice of transonic low level or mach 2.
Fair takes your breath away, but good on him for keeping them operational and available for the lucky few who are rich enough and qualified to fly them.
Cheers ;)

Spiney Norman
23rd Apr 2002, 10:44
Does anybody remember the news footage from, I think, the early 80's when the Civil war in Lebanon was at it's height and the UN decided to try and do something about it? Initial action was USAF aircraft going Supersonic over Beirut but the best bit was the film of the RAF Buccaneers weaving between the high rise buidings at 100ft! What an aeroplane!

Spiney

Gainesy
27th Apr 2002, 16:31
Yep remember that, but a lot lower than 100ft as I recall. Superb aeroplane.