PDA

View Full Version : Splitting a Powerpoint file ?

ExSp33db1rd
15th Feb 2013, 02:59
I've just received some amazing photographs of the 20th Century, some historical gems, the Titanic, Kennedy Assassination, Buchenwald, Viet Nam pictures that we all remember, even a young Hitler !

I even felt emotiomal at times, well remembering the events from my past, and tried to forward to some friends, but it is an 8.47 Mb Powerpoint file, and my Outlook Express ( Windows Mail on Vista ) timed out after about 5 minutes of trying to send, tho' surprisingly the e-mail was sent with my text, just not the Powerpoint file. I then tried directly from my ISP Webmail, with the same result, so all my friends just thought I'd forgotten to 'attach'.

Is it possible to split a received Powerpoint file into smaller sections for transmission ? or compress it maybe ?

Milo Minderbinder
15th Feb 2013, 04:32
winzip should allow you to to both compress the file and chop it into a series of 1.44MB files, which are each small enough to mail

WHBM
15th Feb 2013, 05:45
Powerpoint is well-known for excessive filesizes of presentations.

To break it up is straightforward. Take a guess how many slides you need in each of the broken-up separate files, they are likely pretty much of a constant size if there aren't any embedded videos in there. Copy the original first, of course, so you don't lose it, then create one (or more) new ones (File-New-Blank Presentation), and save with names. In the copy, in the thumbnails down the left side just click one, then hold CTRL down and click some more until you have what you want. Right-click over them, select Cut, go to the new presentation, position over the first blank thumbnail, right click over it, and paste. You can just take time over this until everything is split up as you want it.

Winzip is not particularly efficient with photographs, there's not a lot to compress.

Big Tudor
15th Feb 2013, 07:47
Alternatively, why not set up a drop box account (others are available) and upload the entire file? Your friends can then download their own copies at their leisure.

ExSp33db1rd
15th Feb 2013, 08:28
Alternatively, why not set up a drop box account (others are available) and upload the entire file?

?? but if I can't upload to my ISP server, how can I upload to Dropbox ?

Prazum
15th Feb 2013, 09:35
Download a program called nxpowerlite from the web. You get 10 free uses. Use that on your PowerPoint file and please be good enough to report the result back here.

Hempy
15th Feb 2013, 09:43
www.filestube.com

Mac the Knife
15th Feb 2013, 13:55
From 6 Tips to Reduce the Size of your PowerPoint File (http://powerpoint.wiziq.com/topic/504-6-tips-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-powerpoint-file)

"2. How to Compress Pictures in PowerPoint:
If you have any pictures in your PowerPoint presentation, then you can optimize the size by compressing pictures.
Step 1 - Click on the picture to bring up the Picture toolbar
Step 2- Click the compress picture button
Step 3 - On the Compress Pictures menu:
• Apply to: All pictures in document
• Change resolution: Web/Screen
• Options: Compress pictures and Delete cropped areas of pictures
• Click OK
When the command finishes, you can save the file at a fraction of it’s prior size. In this case we had 100+ maps in a 70 Meg file. After the Compress Picture command finished, the file was only 12 Meg."

Alternatively, just save the whole presentation as a series of images (.png or .jp(e)g) and use Irfanview to create an executable (.exe) slideshow.

Mac

:sad:

lomapaseo
15th Feb 2013, 14:16
I've just received some amazing photographs of the 20th Century, some historical gems, the Titanic, Kennedy Assassination, Buchenwald, Viet Nam pictures that we all remember, even a young Hitler !

Currious, how was this PPt file transmitted to you. By hand s a flash drive or electronically via the internet? If the latter what kind of link (E-mail program or URL etc.)

When you do finally establish the best was to send them on (drop box is simplest) how about sharing the file (s) with the rest of us. Sounds interesting :ok:

Big Tudor
15th Feb 2013, 17:06
?? but if I can't upload to my ISP server, how can I upload to Dropbox ?

Outlook Express has a limit if 10mb on any one email message. Add your attachment to all the other bytes, bits and encoding associated with email and you are exceeding the max limit for an email. Dropbox is just like a server so uploading a file to it does not follow the same restrictions.

ExSp33db1rd
15th Feb 2013, 23:03
In answer to lomapaseo, I received the powerpoint file as an attachment to an e-mail, and just tried to pass it on to a couple of other friends - but I now realise that I omitted one vital piece of info. - I don't have PowerPoint installed on my computer, only PowerPoint Viewer 2007 which won't even open a PowerPoint attachment directly viz. .... " don't have associated programme installed, go to Set Associations etc. etc." which I've never overcome so I have to Save to Documents, and then the PowerPoint viewer allows me to open them.

I guess I'm stuffed, and as it was only really friendly chatter for me anyway, I'm not going to get too excited. I do have access to another computer, which I think has the Libre Office Powerpoint link installed, so I may give that a go when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

unclenelli
16th Feb 2013, 06:47
Create a hotmail account, upload to SkyDrive and send your friends the login & password

Safe and secure

They can also upload more material for you to see & share

Mac the Knife
16th Feb 2013, 07:01
Powerpoint Image Extractor V1.2 - PowerPointImageExtractor (free) - Download (http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-177-powerpointimageextractor) - will extract all images (and .wav files) from a presentation and save them in a separate folder (as .png files).

The user interface is completely nonstandard (typical Frenchman!) but the functions are comprehensible and it works very well (just tried it).

Mac

:ok:

You could then zip the images if you wanted and get 'em all in in a single file (.png is already compressed, so you won't be much smaller than the sum though).

ExSp33db1rd
17th Feb 2013, 19:53
Well look what I found!

MAGIC !!
Thank you, Mille Grazie, Merci beaucoup etc. etc.

Come to New Zealand and I'll buy you a beer ( even 2 )

ExS.

P.s. I've only got as far as getting them all into one "Document" folder so far, but that was the major battle, I'm sure the rest is plain sailing now !!

5 hours later.........

It was ! 85 photographs in one Powerpoint split into 4 e-mails and sent successfully.

Unclenellie .... SkyDrive worked as well, thank you.