PDA

View Full Version : Active Desktop in W95

Dimensional
20th Apr 2002, 18:09
I had some problems with my Win95 installation and therefore decided to reformat. However, in the process I've lost my active desktop! Now I don't have the address bar on the toolbar or any of the fancy folder options, such as single clicking.

As far as I know I'm running W95 without Service Pack 1 and IE 5.0 .... as I originally had IE4 then upgraded to IE5, (but this time went straight to IE5, which doesn't have the active desktop components in it), do I have to install IE4, then upgrade that to IE5? Or is there an easier way than that?

Dmensional

FL310
20th Apr 2002, 21:29
this sounds very strange. You reformatted and installed from scratch? Are you sure you formatted the correct harddrive?
W95, as far as I remember, did come with IE 4 and if it installs now IE 5 straight away, than it has collected it somewhere during the installation process.
Do you still have a boot floppy and can look on the harddrives?

I may be wrong here, but I am not convinced that you really did an install from scratch...

PPRuNeUser0171
20th Apr 2002, 22:25
There are four versions of Win95.
Win95 then the updates A, B & C.

Certainly Win95 did NOT come with IE, At that stage MS where playing with IE and released IE3 a few weeks/months later.
I think there was an option to install it in A&B.

You SHOULD be able to run active desktop by Right-clicking on the background of the desktop and selecting 'Active-Desktop' in IE4 or 5.....

It may be worth doing a re-install of IE5 and see if there is an option during the install of IE5 to switch on Active Destop. There was in 4 but I can't remember if it was in 5 or not.

Another option is to use the Power Toys (http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp) which should be able to do most of what you want.

HTH,

--
Gary Williams

Dimensional
24th Apr 2002, 18:14
Cheers all.

Tried re-installing IE5, no option for active desktop :(. Shall just have to learn to live with it I suppose

- D

GeneralElectric
25th Apr 2002, 09:33
Active desktop came with IE4.
It isn't included with IE5, as MS probably assumed that everyone was using Win98 by the time they released it!

The only real way to get it back is by reinstalling IE4. Then you will have to install IE5 on top of it. What a pain....

:rolleyes: :mad:

Cheers