PDA

View Full Version : Romantic Love

SpringHeeledJack
13th Feb 2013, 09:22
BBC News - Viewpoint: Down with romantic love (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21410275)

I was reading this article and some of the comments made me think of the madness of romantic love, that seems to overpower the sense and contentment of real stablised love between 2 adults within society. In the media, happy content relationships are given short shrift, whilst youth, beauty, 'passion', drama are lauded and promoted even though they have a short shelf life. It does all seem to be a bit back to front.

SHJ

MagnusP
13th Feb 2013, 09:26
She: "I want to be wooed"

He: "WOOOO! Show us yer boobs".

Tableview
13th Feb 2013, 09:42
Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species.(Somerset Maughan)

603DX
13th Feb 2013, 10:08
Somerset Maughan was in my opinion too clever for his own good, that quotation of his being a typical smartaleck aphorism, probably carefully crafted, from a person whose own romantic life was a confused mess. He had much in common with Oscar Wilde, in that respect.

probes
13th Feb 2013, 10:48
Well, one would need to know the basics first. What is romantic love?
Falling in love, the stuff of romance, is the intoxicating sense of possessing someone and/or being possessed. And it just can't last, because possessiveness crushes liveliness. If you look at the photo of the author, you might guess why he’s so sceptical about it. I wouldn’t agree at all about the ‘possessing/possessed’ thing. Sounds more like something obsessive-compulsive to me, which is crushing of course. Also – is it love like inspiration, or desire, lust,- or need for a friend or just inability to be alone.
The myth is that there is someone out there with whom your life will be complete, and conversely, without whom your life would be a half-life.
Myth or not, being romantically in love makes one inspired and more alive and I'm all for it.

603DX
13th Feb 2013, 11:22
Myth or not, being romantically in love makes one inspired and more alive and I'm all for it

Well said, probes. It wasn't a myth for me, life went into 'second best' mode, on that sad day nearly nine years ago. It continues, but there's a void where once all the best fun was.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Feb 2013, 12:32
Hormonal imbalance.

Bah! Humbug!

SpringHeeledJack
13th Feb 2013, 13:22
Myth or not, being romantically in love makes one inspired and more alive and I'm all for it.

Feeling more alive is a wonderful feeling and many things can bring about such a feeling/emotion, but as is the way of life all things are transitory and somewhat short in duration, especially when emotions are involved. To be constantly in a single state of emotion is both unhealthy and unnatural. Yet 'we' seem to be searching for this state.

SHJ

probes
13th Feb 2013, 13:30
as is the way of life all things are transitory and somewhat short in duration
So? Feeling full and content after a good meal is also transitory, still we eat now and then?

RJM
13th Feb 2013, 13:32
Agreed, 603. Life goes on - you can still have fun or good times, in all sorts of ways, but not the best fun.

rgbrock1
13th Feb 2013, 13:39
as is the way of life all things are transitory and somewhat short in duration

So is life itself.

SpringHeeledJack
13th Feb 2013, 13:57
So? Feeling full and content after a good meal is also transitory, still we eat now and then?

Comparing a great meal to 'being in love' is a bit off the mark, unless you are Italian where it would be de rigeur ;) The 'being in love' state lasts for weeks or months and is all consuming, night and day, often to the detriment of the person and those around them.You're unlikely to hurt anyone when in this state, unless due to reading the latest love text from your lover you walk/ride/drive into an unsuspecting passerby. :rolleyes:

SHJ

603DX
13th Feb 2013, 15:45
The 'being in love' state lasts for weeks or months and is all consuming, night and day

More than that, even. In my case it lasted over 40 years, and the happy memories live on. I count myself very fortunate indeed to have found "the one", who was a perfect match for me. Not everyone who marries is that lucky, it's a rare thing.

Alloa Akbar
13th Feb 2013, 16:32
That must be where I have been going wrong.. I thought "Love" was spelt "L-U-S-T" and pronounced "Fcuk"..?

True Love is different of course, it is spelt A-N-A-L.. :E

Slasher
13th Feb 2013, 16:42
True Love is also spelt G-A-R-G-L-E.... :E

probes
13th Feb 2013, 21:04
Slash, the point was not about 'true love', it was about 'romantic love'. First things first (= what's the thing we're discussing).
SHJ:
Comparing a great meal to 'being in love' where did I do that? I compared the feeling after one, in terms of temporariness. :suspect:

OK, I do realise it's (=the discussion) pointless anyway, as it's different for everyone. :8

Alloa Akbar
14th Feb 2013, 07:53
Yeah come on Slash, wake the fcuk up dude..

True love is spelt g-a-r-g-l-e- (Spit)

Romantic love is spelt g-a-r-g-l-e- (Swallow)

stay on thread man! :p

owen meaney
14th Feb 2013, 08:01
Its a western construct to explain a man and womans overwhelming urge to fcku each others brains out.
Hormonal and chemical reaction

Slasher
14th Feb 2013, 08:13
Oops sorry guys I'll try not to run off the rails again! :ouch:

You're right about the difference between real and romantic love Alloa.... :E

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ1pHsOkqTU3_bZbh3LKrmF6u8yVzVNJ4xg-4nY5SEOu69P1PRJA....http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLwCtmY6Iw6XbLaCYRSK6eNFpG7_eN1v69SogELwl O6hZpuO8Kog

Tableview
14th Feb 2013, 08:25
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJXLQkCRE-SOyOG-xkvp81kVc1DrIthOXfCaLOUYP_y_w3A4M-rg http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/love-is-like-a-fart.jpghttp://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t162/hotlyts24/fb-covers/color/women-fall-in-love.png

Tableview
14th Feb 2013, 08:44
E3pjq0WAupc

Slasher
14th Feb 2013, 09:12
Table....

Brilliant! :ok:

Alloa Akbar
14th Feb 2013, 09:21
although with a body like that, I would be inclined to allow her the opportunity to retract her comments and apologize in any way she deemed suitable.. :E

Fliegenmong
14th Feb 2013, 10:15
AA No way!..........:cool:

Alloa Akbar
14th Feb 2013, 10:18
AA No way!

Way! (With bangers like that she's always in with a chance) :ok:

aviate1138
14th Feb 2013, 11:00
Spike Milligan penned, or noted on a wall during WW2......

"I love you in your negligee,
I love you in your nightie,
But when moonlight flits, across your tits,
By Christ all Fcuking Mighty!

MagnusP
14th Feb 2013, 11:07
Roses are red
Violets are glorious.
Don't ever surprise
Oscar Pistorius.

arcniz
14th Feb 2013, 11:23
Back in the orphanage, one was taught that the origins of Romantic Love trace back to about the time of the Renaissance, and not noticeably earlier. Despite efforts toward revisionism, the theory goes, scant trace of Romance, as we know it today, is to be found in any European literature before the 1500's -- and the concept is still quite foreign to many cultures and tribes about the planet.

By that theory, Elizabethan and Victorian novels and poetry and Hollywood hustling have done more for Romance in the popular mind in a few centuries than was true for the entire emotionally callous, rough and brutish existence of humanity preceeding.... all the way back to the worms and fishes and other unromantic protein bits crawling about.

Will note that Omar's Rubiyat gives clue to a romantic shadow culture way before... but quickly snuffed out when officially observed.

As a way of selling things, Romance done briefly is no doubt quite ancient.

Slasher
14th Feb 2013, 15:58
Spike Milligan penned, or noted on a wall during WW2......

Dudley Moore's version here (http://previews.7digital.com/clips/34/559570.clip.mp3).

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwCzQE06lnoDOnzKCYke7m3s2O7ZF4FJF0jOAjylc dArVt5Mep

FAR CU
14th Feb 2013, 16:33
Omar as everyone knows was liberally translated by Edward Fitzgerald.

If it were not he that admitted to the fact the original Persian was quite

different to the slant he put on nearly every quatrain, other scholars have.

Even so, the notions and practices of romantic love were deeply entrenched

in the culture as shown recently in an exhibition of ancient Persian art

concentrating on love and devotion. (It was on display for a longtime

in the Victorian State Library in Swanston Street. Beautiful and expensive

book was on sale too. I ran to three arty bookmarks.)

You're unlikely to hurt anyone when in this state, unless due to

reading the latest love text from your lover you walk/ride/drive into an

unsuspecting passerby

. . . . . . thanks SHJ - loverly!

A LITLE POSTSCRIPT THREE YEARS ON . . . ..

where oh where has one of PPRuNe's most entertaining way out there crack you right up posters gone???

Slasher

True Love is also spelt G-A-R-G-L-E....