PDA

View Full Version : A new twist on the old 419 con?

con-pilot
12th Feb 2013, 22:22
Got this in my e-mail today.

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:30 AM
To: Antoine, Judy
Subject: Hello

My wife Violet and I Allen Large won 11.3 million USD in a lottery 6-49 in July and we have decided to donate the sum of 500,000 USD to you. Contact us via my wife's personal email for more details.

Now, if anyone could explain to be just what a 6-49 lottery is exactly, I could almost believe this.

Oh, and his wife's personal e-mail is in his name. :p

pigboat
12th Feb 2013, 22:33
Six-fourty nine is a Canadian weekly lottery where you select 6 out of 49 numbers. Normal payout is around $5-$6 million, depending on tickets sold, but if the jackpot isn't won one week it is added to the following week. It has gone as high as 40-some million, I seem to recall.

con-pilot
12th Feb 2013, 22:41
Okay, thanks.

And to think I didn't have any friends in Canada except for you. I'll reply right away.

Then again, probably not. :p

racedo
12th Feb 2013, 22:42
Con

Don't be a spoilsport.

Time for Rope-a-dope.

If only Cape was around.

galaxy flyer
12th Feb 2013, 22:56
Con-pilot

If you do win all those loonies, can you spot me 130 of them to pay my fine for speeding, please?

GF

con-pilot
12th Feb 2013, 23:00
If you do win all those loonies, can you spot me 130 of them to pay my fine for speeding, please?

Sure no probem, as I've already spent 1.8 million of that $500,000.00 that they are going to give me. So a little more will not hurt.

Hey, if it works for Obama and the Democrats, why not for me. :p

Dushan
12th Feb 2013, 23:06
This is a variant of a similar one I got a few weeks ago.

About a year ago a couple in Nova Scotia won $50 mil on the 6-49. They announced that they will donate most of the money to others. There was a lot of talk about it on tHe news.

The email I got made to look like it came from the couple with their names in it. It even had a link to the TV station clip about them winning and announcing that they would give money away. The catch was that the return email was, who knows where, and the link was probably going to install some malware on the machine.

Needles to say I deleted it without clicking, but thought it was clever. I just couldn't be bothered with the mere $500k, as I was getting ready to receive $5,700,00.00 (five million seven hundred thousand USD dollars and zero cents) from a business associate in Lagos. I wish I could tell you more, but at this time I have to keep the details confidential.

Rail Engineer
12th Feb 2013, 23:10
Con-pilot

If you do win all those loonies, can you
spot me 130 of them to pay my fine for speeding, please?

GFI was quite surprised when driving in the US last week to find that the average speed on some of the Interstate routes was up in the 70s/80s. I drove about 500 miles in one day mostly running at 75/80 and at times for long distances at 90/95 (all indicated speeds) simply keeping up with the flow of traffic.

I was overtaken at one point by a lorry whilst doing 70 !

galaxy flyer
12th Feb 2013, 23:46
A lorry or an artic? Yes, 75 is quite normal except in the cities, maybe even then. My wife was going along at about 85 when she noticed the cops behind us. Pulled over right smartly, only to be passed by two cruisers.

Apparently, in Quebec, not so much.

GF

Dushan
12th Feb 2013, 23:53
Did you have moundi Anglaise license plate?

chuks
13th Feb 2013, 00:13
That's my $5.7 million! I have the Western Union receipt for the handling fees and everything, and I have been waiting for that money for years now.

Give it back!

Dushan
13th Feb 2013, 02:21
Hey, Chuks, I'd be happy to refund your funds, less the 1% handling fee. Just send me your bank name, address, account number, SIN, email, PIN, and bank card number and I'll have the money refunded by tomorrow morning.

chuks
13th Feb 2013, 11:51
A mutual friend has told me that you are a very good Christian man, Mr. D. so that I know I can trust you to do this wonderful thing for me.

Send me copies of your particulars, including passport, two bank account numbers and two credit card numbers. and your 1% of my 30% of that $5.7 million USD will be waiting for you in a plain brown enveloped on the bench next to Glenn Gould next tomorrow.

Dushan
13th Feb 2013, 12:06
Ooh, I don't know, that is in front of the CBC building, not a place I go to often. I have them banned from my TV dial so going near them gives me the hives, just the same.

Maybe we can arrange another camera parts for German groceries exchange, instead.

rgbrock1
13th Feb 2013, 12:22
WTF is Glenn Gould? Was he the founder of Fire Lake?

We must be told.

pigboat
13th Feb 2013, 12:48
WTF is Glenn Gould? Was he the founder of Fire Lake?

Not a Scotch as one might expect, but a Canadian pianist composer with, I think, Tourettes Syndrome. Progressives get a wet spot in their knickers at the mere mention of his name. Us ordinary folk think he was probably a prick. :p

rgbrock1
13th Feb 2013, 12:58
A Canadian concert pianist with Tourettes syndrome? Geez, this person must have been really evil in a previous existence to deserve all that. I wonder if he cursed out loud during recitals?

<the tune for Fuer Elise.....>

<F&^k. Sh*t. B***ch>

<more of the tune for Fuer Elise...>

<sh*t.... bast***d... f**K>

Dushan
13th Feb 2013, 13:57
Isn't JB wonderful? From 419 scammers to pianists with Tourette's in 15 posts.

I once had to save a man with Tourette's in the subway. The people were getting ready to lynch him because he was swearing. Idiots.

rgbrock1
13th Feb 2013, 14:08
Dushan:

My cousin who happens to be the CEO of a reputable financial institution on Wall Street has tourettes. We all get a laugh at it when he embarks on profanity-laden tirades. (He laughs about it himself.)

I wonder how that goes over in board meetings though?

"I want each of you to see to it... you mother f***king, as*ho*, sons of *&&%^&, that this years financials..... you f**king dimwitted as*h*l*s...."

Dushan
13th Feb 2013, 14:28
That sounds about the right tone for that kind of a meeting. Too bad it's unintentional.

OFSO
13th Feb 2013, 15:48
How would you know if the Big Yin had Tourettes ?

Billy Connolly at the Shaftesbury Theatre1986 - Part One - YouTube

chuks
13th Feb 2013, 18:08
Am I a liberal? Perhaps, since I really do think they should be flogged and then hanged; hanging them and then flogging them is a bit excessive.

Then too, I did purchase a CD of Glenn Gould performing J. S. Bach's Goldberg Variations, something I had been after for quite some time. When I got home and put my prize on the hi-fi, though, there were such weird background noises that I thought the poor old hi-fi was playing up. No, it turned out to be the maestro humming and groaning along to his playing!

There's a bronze sculpture memorial to Glenn Gould in downtown Toronto, the famously eccentric pianist all bundled up as was his wont year 'round, sat on a bench, life-size.

Anyway, never mind all that now. I just got a call from Western Union that the entire $5.7 million has arrived from Lagos.

Once I get the money I am going to buy my own website so that I can send angry messages back and forth to myself without worrying about upsetting Flaps Forty, so there!

Dushan
14th Feb 2013, 01:01
rom Lagos.

Once I get the money I am going to buy my own website so that I can send angry messages back and forth to myself without worrying about upsetting Flaps Forty, so there!

Can I come? I need an Internet place where I don't constantly have to look over my shoulder (keyboard?) in fear of being smacked across the fingers. I can even argue AGW with you Chuks, and promise to bring Lord Moncton up every so often.

There's a bronze sculpture memorial to Glenn Gould in downtown Toronto, the famously eccentric pianist all bundled up as was his wont year 'round, sat on a bench, life-size.

I am going to the auto show this weekend, across the street from that bench, so I'll cross the street and have my picture taken and post it here so you can see it. I promise not to humm.

pigboat
14th Feb 2013, 01:42
...the famously eccentric pianist all bundled up as was his wont year 'round...

Ok, so he suffered from cheimaphobia instead of Tourettes. I knew it was something.

Dushan
14th Feb 2013, 02:17
Here is one of me with Oscar Peterson

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/dushan_divjak/IMG_1584_zpsf823852f.jpg

Dushan
17th Feb 2013, 13:54
Here you go Chuks.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/dushan_divjak/c1f5ee96b5495edc98a7f07fca27a692_zps79899d41.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/dushan_divjak/cf5ce5706553e556734a67be8828b35a_zps0bd34840.jpg

Big Hammer
17th Feb 2013, 16:07
There is a place where you can speak your mind without too much worry about mods. I shall not post it on here but if you wish to pm me I may divulge it.

Lon More
17th Feb 2013, 17:03
A bit of thread drift, but would an Air Traffic Controller with tourettes , say, "F*ck right off" instead of "Clear for take off." ?