PDA

View Full Version : Best Schools for a Full Time Initial MECIR

Arch Angelos
12th Feb 2013, 20:38
Morning Fellas,

Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me.

Looking for the best schools to do a full time initial MECIR starting early March intensively for 5 - 6 weeks.

Unfortunately I will have to rule out a couple of suggestions you guys may have as Bini's (Melb) and Johnston's (Port Mac) which I know are fantastic schools are fully booked until late April and Mid May respectively.

Other places I had mind are really Bob Harris' Flying School in Innisfail?

Suggestions and comments/PMs very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

seneca208
12th Feb 2013, 20:41
Heard some good things about the Macquarie Pilot Centre in Tamworth.

Unusual-Attitude
12th Feb 2013, 21:18
Go see Bob.

Not only will he give you knowledge that you'll take throughout your career, but he's got such a strong reputation amongst the operators in the far north, that it'll open up job opportunities that might not have been forthcoming with a rating from other larger schools.

In fact I'm pretty sure there's a few GA operators that still get Bob to do check rides on prospective employees, (which obviously they forego if you've just come out of his school with a shiny new IR).

He's a well known and respected name. (Plus a top bloke!) :ok:

ChaseIt
12th Feb 2013, 23:22
I second UA go see bob

tail wheel
13th Feb 2013, 01:02
We do not normally allow threads of this nature. "To each their own" - it will be the solution that is best for you.

You seem to have answered your own question when you assessed Bob Harris as the best available solution for you. It is an assessment that I, and a number of others here agree with.

Why do you not wish to proceed with your MECIR with Bob at Innisfail? :confused:

anothertwit
13th Feb 2013, 03:07
I can recommend WardAir in Bathurst. Done my Initial with Salli-Ann and couldn't have hoped for better. :ok:

And she never whacked me with a folder like I've heard Bob has done to students. :ouch:

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Dash8capt
13th Feb 2013, 04:40
whacked with a folder Probably deserved it :}

Arch Angelos
13th Feb 2013, 04:49
As always, thanks for the advice/PMs everyone, much appreciated. In the process of liasing with the training providers now.

TW...never said I was or wasn't going to proceed, nor did I even contact the said training provider prior to posting.

I was merely seeking some more options/advice as there is always a wealth of experience and knowledge here far beyond what I have and hope to attain in aviation one day.

Cheers.

RENURPP
13th Feb 2013, 06:42
I don't like to be negative about instructors on here, however I did approach Bob Harris a few years ago with the intention of renewing my lapsed grade 1 M/E instructor rating.
I had around 17,000 total, around 7000 instructing and the best received was some time with a grade 3 instructor. I spoke with him several weeks up to a month before and made the booking expecting to deal directly with him. I got absolutely nothing out of that few hundred bucks, and needless to say didn't waist another cent there..
As for Bob himself, I have no idea. My point being, before you spend one razoo make sure you have determined WHO will be training you. I thought I had.............

PA39
13th Feb 2013, 08:13
I agree I approached BH a few years ago on a renewal and he said "just because you have 18 renewals doesn't mean I am going to give it to you" ! F##k off BH. Go to Rick Wedgwood at Caboolture (Avalon Air Svs). Experienced, Upfront and a straight shooter :)

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Feb 2013, 08:34
I am moved to balance the leger here!

Have lost track of the number of renewals I have done with Harris. When you renew with Bob - you know that you have been renewed! He demands a very high standard, but always fair in my experience.

Top instructor, great pilot, good bloke!

Dr :8

PS: Time to lock this one up, Wheelie Bin!

RENURPP
13th Feb 2013, 09:34
There is no ledger and "Bob" may be the ace of the base, all I said is ensure you know who you will be trained by as "Bob" doesn't train everyone and on my occasion I ended up with some be who didn't have a clue!

Some of these companies trade on a name yet the name isn't involved with your trainng, in which case you may as well pick be out of a hat.

Jack Ranga
13th Feb 2013, 09:48
Aviation is farked & full of wankas..........

Do it on your own terms bro :ok:

Dash 42
13th Feb 2013, 10:14
Another vote for Bob, was rightly shagged after a renewal with him. As has been mentioned, some operators up north QLD will give preference to Bob's renewal candidates.

tail wheel
13th Feb 2013, 17:38
Now you see why we don't like threads of this nature.........

To each their own!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Closed-1.gif