PDA

View Full Version : Name that tune.

Erwin Schroedinger
12th Feb 2013, 06:38
Been trying to identify the title of this tune. Don't have a computer microphone. Maybe no sound card either, but I've no idea how to check, otherwise I'd try the usual sites needing microphone input.

This is just the intro. I'm really struggling to get the much slower main theme to sound correct on my online 'virtual keyboard', but I'll attempt to include it if this gets me nowhere.

A hyphen between notes indicates those notes played quickly together. Pause slightly at a full stop. Pause longer at the end of each full line.

This is the output from my input to Musipedia: Musipedia Melody Search Engine (http://www.musipedia.org). No idea what the '4' means:

d''4-d''4 a'4 fis'4. d'4-d'4 e'4 d'4
d''4-d''4 a'4 b'4. g'4-g'4 b'4 a'4
d'4-d'4 e'4 d'4
d'4-d'4 e'4 d'4
d'4-d'4 e'4 d'4

:confused:

aviate1138
12th Feb 2013, 07:44
Shazam app on a mobile will answer your question.

tony draper
12th Feb 2013, 10:38
Tried it on me Strat,sound like the backing for a song by the singing nun.:uhoh:

pigboat
12th Feb 2013, 12:22
Tried it on me Strat,sound like the backing for a song by the singing nun.

This one Tony?

wjsU4mqSdhU

Erwin Schroedinger
13th Feb 2013, 05:28
Thanks for the ideas so far, but no bullseyes.

However, I spent a big chunk of last night sorting out the main tune (I have no musical training, so the process hard going), so here it is. It's an orchestral piece, but I have a flute in my head as the main sound.

Musipedia is hopeless, not helped by the keyboard being too short for all the notes. :rolleyes:

I guess played at about two notes per second, all pretty much evenly spaced, except for a double pause before each new line.

A1, C#2, D2, E2, F#2, D2, A1
F#2, D2, A2, E2, F#2, D2, A1
F#2, D2, A2, D3, C#3, B2, G2, D2
B2, G3, A2, F#2, A1
G2, F#2, G2, E2, A1
F#2, E2, D2

Fingers crossed at this end. :)

Erwin Schroedinger
13th Feb 2013, 10:38
Context:

This is a tune from 50 to 60 or so years ago. Best categorised as light orchestral. You could imagine it as the backing for an old fashioned Lurpak butter advert, or a very English 1950's documentary, such as a Betjeman. I'm keen to identify it, get hold of a copy and see (or hear, more like) what else the composer came up with.

Edited to spel Lurpak curektly.

bnt
13th Feb 2013, 12:17
I played the notes and recognised the tune instantly - but I don't know what it's called! Triplet feel, possibly by one of the Romantic composers (Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff etc.)

Link to my very rough synthesiser interpretation: here (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85261/namethetune.mp3). Yes, I know it stops at a strange spot, but it's a start.

Pelikal
13th Feb 2013, 12:25
Well buggah me, bnt, I recognise that! Haven't a clue what it is but with that clue someone will know!

treadigraph
13th Feb 2013, 12:32
I recognise it too, wasn't it a TV show theme? The version I'm playing in my head reminds me a little of the "light" instrumental tunes of the 1950s/1960s.

(PS, well done BNT!)

pigboat
13th Feb 2013, 12:39
Here ya go. The original music was called Elizabethan Serenade. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabethan_Serenade)

Louise Tucker recorded a song called Only For You using this music, it's on her album titled Midnight Blue. What a voice. :ok:

Rthj1nqfzgI

Pelikal
13th Feb 2013, 12:40
Sod it, it's going around and around in my head now! What is it called when that happens?

Keef
13th Feb 2013, 12:44
Elizabethan Serenade it is, aka "Hör mein Lied, Elisabeth".

bnt
13th Feb 2013, 12:45
Oh well - I was only out by about 80 years ..!

Roger Whittaker did a Whistling version too:

H3-IoylSOuc

treadigraph
13th Feb 2013, 12:46
What is it called when that happens?

Irritating? :}

david1300
13th Feb 2013, 12:53
Earworm, or Ear Worm.

Erwin Schroedinger
13th Feb 2013, 13:19
Many thanks to bnt, pigboat and all supporting JetBlasters! :ok:

Found this on YouTube (and many more versions under 'Elizabethan Serenade' besides): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5ZTqEar7I

Isn't that just gorgeous. :)

I'll be playing and humming it for weeks now. :\

bnt
15th Feb 2013, 21:32
Just in case any of you are starting to shake the Elizabethan Earworm, you're not getting off that easily. Try Boris Gardiner's Elizabethan Reggae on for size, Mon:

EZYCfkWLWZI

Righteous! :E

pigboat
16th Feb 2013, 00:16
Well that's one way to skin a cat. :p

Erwin Schroedinger
16th Feb 2013, 06:27
Y-e-e-e-e-s.

I came across (as opposed to I came across) the reggae version during my sampling of all Elizabethan Serenades de YouTube.

As pigboat so rightly says, there's more than one way to skin a cat. The racket said cat makes during some of the skinning processes shouldn't be called 'music', though. Mind you, the word 'reggae' is a fair enough warning to most of us.

I've been sampling as much of Reginald Binge's music as seems to be available. Sadly, he was a 'one hit wonder', IMHO, to put it mildly. :(

Blackgate
16th Feb 2013, 09:48
"The Watermill" is also well worth listening to:

The Watermill by Ronald Binge - YouTube

Jonathan

Slasher
16th Feb 2013, 12:11
Can anyone identify the song or music title that starts at that point when
Travolta tastes the milkshake at Jackrabbit Slims?

Its been bugging me for some time now...and fires a weird vague memory
neuron from my youth every time I hear it.

I tried that Misipedia thingy but got zilch.

Slew to 4:19...

A8X2SM0ioJ4

Thanks.

Sprogget
16th Feb 2013, 12:19
Rumble. Link Wray.

Slasher
16th Feb 2013, 12:56
Thanks for instantly solving 20 years of brain-wracking Sprog! :)

I'm sure I heard it once on an old B&W flick I saw as a kid. Might go do a search.

Update - found it! (I think).

Numerous emails to an older sibling and and 2 hours goggling, it seems I may've
seen it on Dick Clark -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0c9wFoT1I

....Clark wasn't shown back then on Oz TV, but clips were shown on the then
Australian Bandstand. I wasn't around in 1959 but a few of Wray's clips were
shown as repeats - including Rumble - in the early to mid 60s. This would've
put me in the toddler stage of life, certainly not older than 5.

The sib thinks this is what I am probably recalling - as she'd sit me and we'd
watch Bandstand together. Talk about the "formative years"! :bored:

Pelikal
16th Feb 2013, 13:07
bnt, thanks for that reggae link. I've heard that before, very fine if I may say so.

Mind you, the word 'reggae' is a fair enough warning to most of us.Erwin, huh? Beats the heck out of some that 'slushy' stuff.:\

Windy Militant
16th Feb 2013, 14:00
The More I read this thread the more I think of this!
The Intelligence Men - How is going? - YouTube

Sprogget
17th Feb 2013, 22:46
Although Link Wray was known as a Rockabilly hero, he moved with the times. this is my favourite tune of his, then again it's typical of what was about when I was a kid.

This performance has Chas Charles on drums, most famous as time keeper for the Blockheads, the tightest rhythm section in town in the seventies.

LINK WRAY - Midnight Lover (1975 UK TV performance) ~ HIGH QUALITY HQ ~ - YouTube

Fantome
20th Feb 2013, 20:06
Love the way old lyrics come into the head in a nanosecond a propos of nothing at all.

If I see you tomorrow on some street in town
Pardon me if I don't say hello
I belong to another, it wouldn't look so good
To know someone I'm not suppose to know

Just walk on by, wait on the corner
I love you but we're strangers when we meet.

In a dimly lit corner, at a place outside of town.
Tonight we'll try to say goodbye again.
But I know it's not over, I'll call tomorrow night
I can't let you go so why pretend.

Just walk on by, wait on the corner
I love you but we're strangers when we meet.

JIM REEVES - JUST WALK ON BY LYRICS

tony draper
20th Feb 2013, 20:21
Link Wray's rumble is as far as I know the only instrumental to be banned from many radio stations in the USA for being likely to promote violence.:uhoh: