PDA

View Full Version : Your pprune life

KAG
11th Feb 2013, 19:28
how many hours per week (per day) do you spend on pprune?

I have seen a few people posting here everyday of the year, on pprune basically 8 or 12 hours a day or more sometimes.

Some people, even if they don't spend here 8 hours in a raw, come here everyday.

Some people (probabely like me) come maybe one or twice a week, some others every other month.

I believe you have in addition some other internet activities. Do you think pprune (pprune for us, any internet forum anyway) could become an addiction?
I see many of you spending more than 6 hours a day here everyday, how much of your free time does it take?
Would you consider that for quite a few of you, and apart from your professional activities, pprune would become your entire life, giving it most of your free time?

Internet forums are new, it started end 90s (in the 80s in France with forums on Minitel ;) ), and have quite evolved since, so for the ones posting everyday several hours here: how much it has changed your life?

con-pilot
11th Feb 2013, 19:47
Well being retired, not being able to golf anymore, when I finish writing in the mornings, I go on to Pprune and some other sites.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :p

gingernut
11th Feb 2013, 19:49
What's an internet ?

Rwy in Sight
11th Feb 2013, 19:51
As another PPRuNer said one it is our psychological support. I spent several hours a day (I have not count them so far). It is one of the few sites allowed at the office (I have specifically asked to have access) and no internet visit is complete without spending some time here.

Plus it is a very cheap entertainment much better than TV most of the times.

Rwy in Sight

Dushan
11th Feb 2013, 20:40
I am on all day long, but not exclusively. I do other things and just like checking the weather or the news I am checking PPRuNe and some other forums.

First read around 0500 and last around 2300.

gingernut
11th Feb 2013, 20:54
Stalked !

Is KAG part of Big Brother ?

KAG
11th Feb 2013, 20:56
One thing to consider is that JB doesn't count your posts. Some JB posters might write close to thousands posts... a year! Considering they write 10 posts or more a day.
I don't see any of you above could be considered as "addicted" or something like that. Some others however... It would be interesting to hear from them what they think about it and how much of their free time (or worse: work time????) they spend here in their life, as I believe pprune/JB has became their life, a phenomenon not described yet by doctors, scientist or psychologist, but it will come. Internet forum "addiction" eating your personal (and familly) life? I think a few here are in this situation.

con-pilot
11th Feb 2013, 21:23
To be honest, when I was banned for three months during the Great Saturday night massacre, I did miss Pprune and JB for the first week or so, but then after that it was no big deal not being here.

I missed it for sure, but not to a degree that it affected my life.

Fantome
11th Feb 2013, 21:25
There is, needless to say, such a diverse cross-section of posters and thread

starters.

There are brilliant minds, intellects, at one end of the spectrum. At

the other, of course, complete drongoes. It takes very

little time to sort the good, bad, ugly, mediocre, from

the talented.

The one thing that keeps my interest alive is the quality of the

contributions from people immersed in specific branches of the industry,

such as the president of the union that represents Qantas engineers.

The numerous threads covering major air accidents contain revelation

after revelation, insights and informed opinions that were only

fragmentary back in the days when you scanned the correspondence pages

of the periodicals for the good oil.

But if you want stats KAG, seems you already have a fair handle

on the frequency factor.

Without opening an attractive, beguiling confessional, in a resort of your

own choosing, you won't get too many addicts admitting to their

excesses, their compulsions, likewise

how much they drink, smoke, gamble, consort with loose wimmen.

Tableview
11th Feb 2013, 21:31
I see many of you spending more than 6 hours a day here everyday

I am unsure how you reach this conclusion. First of all, you don't know where someone is, so a posting apparently made at 0300 may have been made at 1200 their time.

If someone posts at 0800, 1000, 1300, and 1600, do you conclude that they were on Pprune for 8 hours?

I can only speak for myself. I have many other activities, some at home and some out, and I travel a lot. I tend to post when I come home, as tonight, have been out for a meal with friends and just doing this while drinking my bedtime tea, and I post whilst working when I need a break.

KAG
11th Feb 2013, 21:44
Yes Fantome, some interesting people are posting, sometimes we know who they are, and sometimes pprune members know who "you" (me or you) are.
Some of my friends speak to me about my pprune posts when they see me, their is not such a thing as being anonymous, unless you don't give anything about your personal life (like many do) but then it becomes much less human.

Some people won't even tell us what's their job, while they are happilly giving their comment on anything, basically undercover while posting everyday. Some have several usernames (or use to have a different username), which might show some kind of addiction too.

you won't get too many addicts admitting to their

excesses, their compulsions, likewise

how much they drink, smoke, gamble, consort with loose wimmen.True.

Shack37
11th Feb 2013, 21:52
I am on most days but only post on subjects of interest to me or on which I feel strongly.
That said, I find it odd KAG that you can start a thread in which you suggest we have PPRuNe addicts whose lives are affected by their addiction when your own "statistical study" must have taken quite a lot of time to complete prior to your scientific conclusions.

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Feb 2013, 22:05
Recently quite a lot following a torn ACL op. At least I found something to keep me busy. :E

KAG
11th Feb 2013, 22:06
I have not done any scientific study on the matter Shack37 (and do not intend to), it is only based on what I have seen over the years. When each time you come to pprune and see the same posters active, it gives you a good idea that they post everyday, without having the proof, and without looking for it.

This thread is in no way a scientific one (I am not a scientist), that's a discussion. Like every discussion it can be biaised, and some posters I could believe post everyday here might post only now and then in reality who knows. Anyway that's not about giving poster's name, that's about to discuss about the "forum addiction" (if it exists at all, and I believe, as a non-scientist, that it does).

Worrals in the wilds
11th Feb 2013, 22:14
I am on all day long, but not exclusively. I do other things and just like checking the weather or the news I am checking PPRuNe and some other forums.Same. When I am doing something else at the computer I usually have PPRuNe running in another tab, and Facebook in a third.

If I'm on here a lot it means I'm using the computer a lot (I study part time so that happens regularly :{). Sometimes I'll check on PPruNe and Facebook every hour or so, maybe more frequently. Depends on what's being discussed and how exciting the study is at the time. :zzz:

If I'm not at the computer for something else I don't check in all that often.

Shack37
11th Feb 2013, 22:16
I have not done any scientific study on the matter Shack37 (and do not intend to), it is only based on what I have seen over the years. When each time you come to PPRuNe and see the same posters active, it gives you a good idea that they post everyday, without having the proof, and without looking for it.
This thread is in no way a scientific one (I am not a scientist),
that's a discussion. Like every discussion it can be biaised, and some posters I could believe post everyday here might post only now and then in reality who knows. Anyway that's not about giving poster's name, that's about to discuss about the "forum addiction" (if it exists at all, and I believe, as a
non-scientist, that it does).

So, no study. Just an opinion based on remembering every post and poster you have seen/read and/or answered "over the years"
Now look what you've done, I'm an addict now too.

KAG
11th Feb 2013, 22:23
Not necessarily MY opinion Shack37. Yours or anybody else opinion on the matter welcomed ;)

Even if JB might influence one's life to perhaps some great extend for some of us, don't take this thread too seriously (no science involved (yet?) here), that's just a discussion about our pprune life... ;)

con-pilot
11th Feb 2013, 22:28
The only time I really, really regretted not being able to post here when I desired, was when I was on an around the world trip in 2005 that lasted four months, my laptop computer blew up in Beijing on the first two weeks of the trip. So the only way I could post was from the various hotels business centers or use my co-pilots, which really didn't work that well, as she was not the sharing type, even if it was company property. The first time I tried to turn my computer was the first night in Beijing when it crashed. Tried to get it fixed, but it was the hard drive that crashed, unrepairable. Thought about buying a new, but didn't, bad mistake now that I look back at it, for more reasons than one.

Too many times I would go to the business centers only to find them full or locked, so I basically just gave up trying.

My goal was to give a day to day accounting of the trip, oh well, maybe next time.

KAG
11th Feb 2013, 22:41
I was in Beijing in 2005... ;) And was reading pprune now and then for aviation informations. This is the year my crazy former GF smashed my computer on the hotel wall... Yes Chinese girls can do that too... Hopefully happilly married today...

We both lost our computer the same year in Beijing Con...

con-pilot
11th Feb 2013, 22:42
I was there in late March. You?

KAG
11th Feb 2013, 22:44
I was living there... Still live in China... But I moved around China a few times since though.

con-pilot
11th Feb 2013, 22:58
We were at the Beijing Hilton Great Wall* for two weeks, then on to Hangzhou, China for a couple of days and then off to Singapore for a couple of weeks and then on westward for the next three and a half months until finally getting home from London in June.

* We stayed there because two other corporate crews that we knew were there as well, one of pilots of the other crews is a good friend that I used to fly Jet Commanders with back in the old days.

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Feb 2013, 23:02
Hey chaps, can't you chat about this on FB?

con-pilot
11th Feb 2013, 23:06
Why? After all, this is a aviation website, is it not.

And we be a talkin' 'bout aviating stuff. :p

KAG
11th Feb 2013, 23:09
Interesting trip Con.

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Feb 2013, 23:13
Sorry Con, I forgot the smiley again!

con-pilot
12th Feb 2013, 00:01
Interesting trip Con.

Yup, sure was. Would love to do it again, but east bound this time, with the winds. :p

Cacophonix
12th Feb 2013, 00:07
Occasionally ******* it up (not in the wing on the ground sense).

I am happy to be flying again...

Caco

probes
12th Feb 2013, 08:41
I must confess I've found pprune an extremely effective way of procrastination... :sad: also an excuse for doing it - the truly interesting things I've found here. Engineering, mostly, and engineering fun. Not every day, but often enough to keep me reinforced positively. And interesting personalities :).
But I don't think posting frequency shows 'pprune total time'. Probably just depends on whether one's work is computer-based or not.
I do agree, though, that it does not need any research to notice things.

Rwy in Sight
12th Feb 2013, 11:20
We also have to consider how much PPRuNe impacts one's life. I often mention this forum to friends as quick reference guide.

Rwy in Sight

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 12:42
KAG:

If you visit PPRuNe once or twice a week as you wrote, then how would you know about people who spend 6 or more hours per day here? Hmmmmm?

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 12:43
con-pilot wrote:

Well being retired, not being able to golf anymore, when I finish writing in the mornings,

Finish writing in the mornings? Care to elaborate on that, con?
Something we should know about? (An aspiring author perhaps?)

con-pilot
12th Feb 2013, 16:17
Finish writing in the mornings? Care to elaborate on that, con?
Something we should know about? (An aspiring author perhaps?)

Have a couple of projects ongoing, one a fiction book based very, very loosely on my Marshal days and from time to time I assist some corporate flight departments with operations manuals and compliance requirements for ICAO/FAA nonsense.

Nothing earth shattering. :p

By the way, getting really heavy snow here right now. So don't feel like the Lone Ranger up there in the Northeast. But no wind, should get around 5-6 inches today, but, tomorrow, clear and 50f plus. So it will be gone soon.

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 16:35
I wish you well in your fiction book, con. Hey, ya never know.

I read about your snowstorm. Unfortunately it may head this way, once it's done with y'all, just in time for the weekend. Again. The weather "forecasters" are currently saying that after it leaves the mid-West it may well head to the NE and dump a bunch of snow on our asses again.

If it does, I'm comin' to OK to kick YOUR ass because it will be all YOUR fault. (Or is it Bush's fault?) I've seen enough snow this winter to last me until my old, gray days. So please Con, keep the snow out your way!!!!

:}:}:}

BenThere
12th Feb 2013, 16:45
I always regarded Pprune as a place where a flyer could interact with others associated with the business on any topic.

I'm partial to JetBlast as that is where our everyday lives, outlooks, issues and perspectives can be opened up and examined.

The current easing of moderator restraint is optimum.

I used to be passionate about our Pprune discussions, and would not miss a day. Now it's less of an obsession and more a pleasant pass-time, when I have the time.

I cherish the Ppruners who have been around a while, some of whom I have met in the flesh. We are a community.

I've instructed in my will that my survivor will notify the Pprune community of my passing and she will attest to the value I placed on Pprune and the friends and interlocutors I have exchanged barbs with over the years I've spent here. I plan on that event many, many years in the future.

Fantome
12th Feb 2013, 17:53
I cherish the Ppruners who have been around a while, some of whom I have met in the flesh. We are a community.

These Ben are my sentiments too. Fazackly. This has been a place where new friendships are in time forged and more than a few old mates from way back, emerge from the thickets of forgetfulness. There is a faint parallel you know in the songlines of the Australian Aborigines. Their oral traditions, their story, was everything to them. 50,000 years plus of the evolvement of a culture which today is merely an object of study. ('Poor Fellow My Country') The sagas of the North American Indians too.

BTW a propos your post elsewhere re graffiti . . . . . .

The best graffiti I ever saw was back in the 70's when I was in college. It read:

"Moby Dick is not a social disease."

. . . . . there was a popular bumper sticker over here - LEAVE WHALES IN THE GROUND.

One of the best tho' was on a wall in Oxford Street in Sydney following the annual gay and lesbian mardi gras -

RALPH . . . COME BACK . . . IT WAS ONLY A RASH.

11Fan
12th Feb 2013, 17:57
there was a popular bumper sticker over here - LEAVE WHALES IN THE GROUND.

My favorite is....

SAVE THE WHALES
COLLECT THE WHOLE SET

KAG
12th Feb 2013, 22:34
rgbrock1: that's a good point.

BenThere: nice post.

We are getting a " pprune social " it seems???

Tankertrashnav
13th Feb 2013, 09:09
Fantome - Glad to see you've dropped the double spacing thing you used in your earlier post. What was that all about? Now how about using the same typeface as the rest of us?

What are you, some kind of a rebel? ;)

MagnusP
13th Feb 2013, 09:19
I spend most of the day in front of a PC, so I usually have a tab for PPRuNeing, along with tabs for searching legal databases and online law resources. Other programs running are standard stuff like outlook, excel, word, as well as a remote desktop in Vancouver where my primary database is hosted. Normally some music playing, too. I try to remember to refresh JB regularly so I don't get timed out.

Fliegenmong
13th Feb 2013, 10:05
My name is Fliegenmong.....and I'm a JB 'Holic :(.....:p;)

airship
13th Feb 2013, 17:55
Mon cher KAG,

You pose somewhat overly-complicated questions, perhaps innocently, and perhaps not.

Perhaps simply disdaining the contributions here from all those who have "time on their hands" for whatever reasons, and which you do not?!

Unlike Tableview, I believe that most posters here in JB are quite aware of global time differences.

KAG, as a professionel pilote, why bother to post here in JB at all? Whatever professional aviation expertise and advice you may have to offer is perhaps best directed to the other PPRuNe forums. Here in JB, everyone is more or less treated equally and indifferently, regardless of how many safe landings you made...

JBers don't usually ask to see how big a watch you wear. That's what makes the difference between JB and the rest of PPRuNe.

KAG may well be the ultimate authority and rule of law in his own cockpit / environment. Here in JB, he's just another "airship" trying to make his voice heard over the tannoy...

Fantome
20th Feb 2013, 19:25
Example sentences

Not the gloomiest iconoclast expects ever to see the supply of wood from the old tree.

Even a cursory review of the accomplishments of this scientific maverick and iconoclast is a breath-taking endeavor.

Equal parts icon and iconoclast , he shocked respectable opinion even as he seemed to embody the contradictory moods of his era.

Trash . . . . . As a classicist I like the old fonts. My near vision is not what it used to be, the cataracts don't help, so that is why I convert
to 18 or 24 as a general rule.

. .. . rebel or not, I don't feel the need to explain myself anymore than that Trash. Last time I crossed swords with someone on Proone they sent me to Coventry. Such is life .. .

dead_pan
20th Feb 2013, 19:54
one a fiction book based very, very loosely on my Marshal days

Con Air II?

My access to said forum has been greatly enhanced of late by my downloading of the unofficial PPRuNe app on my smartphone. It takes a little getting used and is a bit clunky but otherwise works just fine.

I do get hacked off every once in a while and go AWOL vowing never to return, but once I've cooled down I'll come crawling back.

con-pilot
20th Feb 2013, 20:09
Con Air II?

God I hope not. :uhoh:

finfly1
20th Feb 2013, 20:28
Twice, I have seen websites in which I was fairly heavily invested time and emotion-wise disappear.

Both greatly changed and improved my life, as I met friends literally from all over the world (Beijing included).

Being on the Yankee side of the pond, I have not met many jet blasters in 3D, but, thinking about it, I HAVE actually met three--all very high quality people.

There is a quality and level of discussion and information on this site which appeals to me and which is certainly far from universal throughout the world wide web. I don't particularly WANT to be addicted to it, but when days go by that I cannot visit, I miss it.

And I have had some really off-the-wall questions answered, as well as countless mystery photograph locations pinpointed. Where On Earth indeed!

funfly
20th Feb 2013, 21:21
Hey Finfly. are we related?

funfly
20th Feb 2013, 21:27
Hey con-pilot, I also am a writer.

I wrote a small specialist book two years ago and had it published myself, so far it has sold 1 copy although my stock has been reduced by all the people who demand freebees. I have now put it on Kindle and am pleased to announce that 3 copies have been downloaded worldwide.

Wow success or not eh?

My golf is not very good at the moment iether:rolleyes:

Fantome
21st Feb 2013, 00:58
funfly . . . . does your book concern your lifelong interest in aviation at all?

Pedant that I am, I must ask you how often you put the
'i' before the 'e' when the 'e' before the 'i' is correct?

Ronnie Barker in his best didactic way discoursed on the correct pronunciation of 'either'. It is impossible to do justice to the sketch
by writing it out. He ended by saying -
" . .. .. and an anaesthetist said 'ether' . A farmer said "bollocks".

Some of the best writing on PPRuNe has come from people deeply immersed in their trade. If the contributions from the likes of 'Centaurus' and the late 'Duke Elegant' were gathered together in one place, then I'd prepare to shed a tear before I'd part with them my dear.

" Ah ha ha, you and me . . ."

God the air's bracing down here today.

Keep passin' that little brown jug round now.

Hobo
21st Feb 2013, 04:59
God the air's bracing down here today.

But it weren't on Monday when Mrs H & I walked round Port Arthur in 35C!

Lightning Mate
21st Feb 2013, 07:32
Nuvver fing......

Does anyone know why posts on JB do not add to ones post count?

Worrals in the wilds
21st Feb 2013, 08:39
Wow, I've just noticed yours.
That's a big post count.:}
IIRC it's because JB is supposed to be disreputable. Unlike DG&P, which is a bastion of common sense arguments and intelligent debate...:uhoh:

funfly
21st Feb 2013, 09:21
Fantome, luckily my book wasn't about grammar although I have to say that my grammar is very good except I always spell either wrongly - it's the one word that I can never get right.
My book was about the Kitchener poster from WW1 with the words "Your Country Needs You", words which were never on a poster in WW1. The design was plagiarised from a cigarette advert and the poster made into an icon by the Imperial War Museum after it bought the artwork. There was a poster using the artwork but the words were "Kitchener Needs You" and the poster referred to at the time as the "Kitchener" poster was most likely another one printed by the government.
You now have a very good indication why no-one has bought the book although, if you are wondering, the facts are very well researched as I did it as my thesis for a BA.
I must get out more...

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Feb 2013, 11:23
What WITW said. It appears us'm denizens of the dungeons are not regarded as real aviators with steely gazes fixed on far horizons, and big watches (we'll say nothing about being hung like a hamster). To this end, our debate is not regarded as important enough to qualify for any addition to the official tally of Aunt Mary's Winnings.

Probably better that way, or we could end up looking like we have no life.

vulcanised
21st Feb 2013, 11:40
Just be thankful they don't deduct points earned elsewhere when you post in JB.

lomapaseo
21st Feb 2013, 16:33
According to one poster in R&N who follows me everywhere on the board I'm a boy wonder who has a deviant mind while posting in JB.

Not far from the truth :)

Fantome
21st Feb 2013, 16:45
My book was about the Kitchener poster from WW1 with the words "Your Country Needs You", words which were never on a poster in WW1.

It was Kitchener who gave the final thumbs down for the execution of Lieutenants Harry "Breaker" Morant and Peter Handcock, soldiers who believed that they were simply following the uncertain rules of engagement between the British and the Boers. They were scapegoats. There is no argument about that today. They should be exonerated. There is a website set up for just that purpose and hope.

Little wonder that the character of the Australian troops during the First World War was in general highly contemptuous of the British high command and moreover of any British officer who had not proved himself worthy of being followed.

El Grifo
21st Feb 2013, 17:47
Heck, I need something to do while the other machine is mincing my snaps into something sellable :ok:

OFSO
21st Feb 2013, 17:54
I post every day when I'm at home with all my machines, but I do NOT sit here all day waiting for something to happen on PPRuNe. It's more "wander over to the machine, post a limerick or twain and go and do something else for a few hours". And I have a rule that when away in London or Paris or wherever, I do not access PPRuNe.

Fantome
23rd Feb 2013, 09:20
There can be no doubt that some contributers are highly proficient writers. Essayists of the first water, some might say. The archive contains many a gem.

'What excellent creative writers you are, Mr Dickens, Miss Austen."

Enter the age of yuck-speak.

If you need to do a course in 'creative writing', then you probably can paint
a presentable picture painting in the numbered sections.

Someone here , I think from Long Island NY, said something about his encounters with three people he met through these forums, and how
stimulating that was. (He referred to these people as 'quality').

Good friend of mine had the opposite experience, also on three occasions.
He formed an impression of the character of the other parties based on their posts and later many email exchanges. And some phone conversations. But in the flesh, another matter. So maybe that should serve as a caution. Keep up the fence. Beware of lowering the drawbridge impulsively.

If some of us were to be ship wrecked together, pleasant banter could descend into mayhem. On the other hand god knows what posterity
could be frequenting cyberspace next century.

"My grandma was known as *************. Reading what she wrote a hundred years ago, she must have been quite a firebrand."

Definition of FIREBRAND

1 a piece of burning wood
2 one that creates unrest or strife (as in aggressively promoting a cause)