PDA

View Full Version : University or not? 2013

Wizbod7
10th Feb 2013, 09:55
Hey guys!

Basically, I want to become a pilot, flying for an airline, that's the long term goal! Now, this as been a dream of mine for about 5 years, only recently I've decided that I need to start pursuing this dream as I can't see myself being satisfied doing anything els!

My current situation is that I'm working, I don't earn to much, roughly 300 a week. I do understand the first step would be to get a class 1 medical then start my PPL from there, correct me if I'm wrong or missing something!

Here is my dilemma: do I continue to work full time and pay for my licenses, or go back to college to complete A Levels, considering I only have 5 A-C GCSE's? This decision is now beginning to get the better of me, everyday with out fail I'm thinking which way should I go?

I have until September to make this decision, so I do have a bit of time to think things over, I do believe I need to decide ASAP as I'm 23 in 2 months, I don't want to let it get 'too late' as I know I'd regret not taking the plunge!

I'd be really appreciative for and help, guidance, which could help me. I'm from the West Midlands area too so if you could recommend a flying school, that would be a bonus!!!

Thanks for reading! :) looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Sovi3tskiy
10th Feb 2013, 12:30
Hi, your situation seems familiar, my story goes a little like this, I did both A-levels & college with aerospace engineering diploma, but no uni, instead after that I worked at student jobs, even stacking shelfs at tesco, didnt go out much or have a massive crazy lifestyle like going to ibiza and so forth, instead I focused on what really metered, flying, so I saved up over time, enough to do PPL with night, did it all in one go, then had enough to start ATPL theory with BGS, mod 1 takes you a while so by the time your ready for that you will have saved up enough for some hours and to do mod 2, the real deal is with hour building... To do it all in UK, you can but costs a lot! Going abroad there are better options... CPL single engine do in UK, IR/ME do abroad again, will cost less and you add it into your UK CPL, so at the end of the day you have a UK fATPL. But as you know thats expensive, so taking a loan is the most common plan for people...

BIG POING, dont go college, no point, your over 19 so you will pay money for it and also it wont give you much in the long run, I have college with very high grades, but no way did it help to get something meanwhile while I was working to save up.

Go to the Open University, its rated very very highly, distance learning, lots of course options, and not as expensive as normal Uni, plus, you dont need a-levels to get in, there's no set grade... Also you can take study breaks, so when you start your ATPL theory, you can pause uni, get the Mod 1 and 2 done and get back to uni... Highly recommend it... ( I think they offer financial aid and plans too).

Are you living at home? Suggest that you do, save more money quicker...

Do you know a second language at all? Sometimes you could relocate to another country for a job offer so its always a plus.

Lastly, Western job market for pilots doesn't look great now, but dont get discouraged, if its your passion and dream, go for it, just don't sell your soul and work for free ;) Take some flying lessons too see if that really what you want, First class medical is always a good idea before you really start investing into flying, but you can do a few lessons without a medical to try it out....

Hope this was of some use!

Wizbod7
11th Feb 2013, 08:03
Thanks for the replies guys! No unfortunately I don't know a second language, but I have thought of learning! I do however, live at home so I guess that will help! I do plan to get my medical in the next month or so, then hopefully by April i'll be able to start my PPL!

B2N2
11th Feb 2013, 12:56
Not trying to be an azz but stop using exclamation marks.
Then follow this:

Unless you have someone who's willing to fund your training, you're going to need a very well paid job to fund your licences so if it were me I would get my A levels, then get a job in the Finance industry, preferably in London due to higher wages, work hard and progress up the ladder. You could be earning £50k in 5 years if you're good at your job. During that time you can do your modular training, ATPL exams and at the end of it maybe get a loan for the remaining training. You'll need a plan like this, looking ahead 5 years or so.

Miracles don't happen overnight, they take a lot of work.

Halfwayback
11th Feb 2013, 17:11
A new thread to collate all the info.
There is an older file in the Stickies

HWB