PDA

View Full Version : The One and Only Pope Resignation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

angels
11th Feb 2013, 09:54
The Pope is resigning according to an Italian news agency.

I didn't know they could.

Does this mean much nowadays?

ORAC
11th Feb 2013, 09:56
Breaking news on Sky News that Italian press state Pope Benedict is to resign. No reason given.

Break: Vatican sources confirm resignation, reason given as health, no details.

Resignation within 2 weeks.

green granite
11th Feb 2013, 10:00
BBC News - Pope Benedict XVI 'is to resign' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304)

Airborne Aircrew
11th Feb 2013, 10:02
He has bigger plans... :}

RedhillPhil
11th Feb 2013, 10:06
The Pope is resigning according to an Italian news agency.

I didn't know they could.

Does this mean much nowadays?

I always used to think that it was a job for life although a precedent has been set by Celestine V, John XVIII and Benedict IX (although he got his job back). Gregory XII was effectively sacked.

Funny old job having to ensure that people play to rules of a game that you don't play.

tony draper
11th Feb 2013, 10:07
Perhaps he just wants to spend more time with his children.
:uhoh:

gorter
11th Feb 2013, 10:09
So come on, taking odds on what scandal's about to hit the Vatican. Something from the past about to catch up with him, Is he ill or has he lost the faith? Any other options on a post card.

Tableview
11th Feb 2013, 10:09
Perhaps he just wants to spend more time with his mistresses! Maybe he is taking a leaf out of Silvio's book!

Sprogget
11th Feb 2013, 10:17
I didn't know they could.I wouldn't put anything past the papacy. Time was you could buy the job & they have at least once dug up a dead pope & put him on trial.

I wonder who'll we'll get next - Pope Idol shirley.

ExXB
11th Feb 2013, 10:18
Don't have any postcards or stamps.

He just wants to spend some time with his grandkids, er, somebody else's grandkids more likely. Got to set a good example for the troops.

Alloa Akbar
11th Feb 2013, 10:20
So the ar5e bandit in Chief is banging out before another scandal breaks eh??

Vitesse
11th Feb 2013, 10:21
Mr Draper's post was particularly droll.

I wonder what Benedict was caught with his hands in.

david1300
11th Feb 2013, 10:23
Yes, Mr Draper made me smile too:)

Adam Nams
11th Feb 2013, 10:30
It seems that the two fishes tested positive for horse.

Alloa Akbar
11th Feb 2013, 10:32
He's been outed, that's why he's quit..

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_low9inbgsE1qhvrl8o1_500.jpg

tony draper
11th Feb 2013, 10:36
The endless speculation has started on the news channels,could be the reason for his jacking it in is nothing sinister it could just be what he said, he is getting to long in the tooth to do the job.:uhoh:

Worrals in the wilds
11th Feb 2013, 10:40
That would be a welcome change from previous, albeit much loved Popes.

Buster Hyman
11th Feb 2013, 10:45
In Warsaw, during the war, a young German soldier captured Polish man and was about to shoot him when a loud, booming voice shouted "STOP!""Who said that?" Asked the German.
"IT IS I, GOD"
"Why shouldn't I shoot him?" He asked.
"BECAUSE THIS MAN IS DESTINED TO BECOME THE POPE" was the reply.
He thought about this and then asked, "We'll, what's in it for me?"
God thought for a bit and then said, "YOU CAN GO NEXT."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 10:47
..perhaps he's just discovered that he's personally liable for the Catholic Church's debts. Given the rate they're getting sued for child abuse.......

Buster Hyman
11th Feb 2013, 10:51
So where does that leave Nostrildarkmass and his predictions eh?

ShyTorque
11th Feb 2013, 10:51
Perhaps he thinks he's been flogging a dead horse?

El Grifo
11th Feb 2013, 10:58
Never like the man for a second.

Shifty creep !!

Last guy seemed OK.

Let's hope there is a scandal about to break. Dodgy bunch these Vatican lot.

Wiki are on it already:eek:

Papal resignation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_resignation)

On 11 February 2013, the Vatican announced that Pope Benedict XVI would resign effective February 28, 2013, due to infirmity from advanced age.[4] He is the first pope to resign in nearly 600 years.

blue up
11th Feb 2013, 11:21
Maybe he has a better job offer. Customer relations at Ryanair? At least he'd get Sunday off for a change.

Farrell
11th Feb 2013, 11:23
From the time he began as Pontiff, he has always had a very practical view of the church and made his comments and activities based on what it says in the Catholic bible.

He took a tremendous amount of abuse for that, and while I do not agree with a lot if what he promoted or said, I am not in the least bit surprised that he would resign if he felt he was getting too old to execute his tasks to the best of the Catholic Church.

He has his faith and sticks to it. Hats off to him.

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2013, 11:25
Will he receive a pension?

Will he be allowed to remain in the Vatican, or will he be banished therefrom?

Will he be martyred?

Can the Pope Retire? (http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0786.html)

blue up
11th Feb 2013, 11:26
If the Pope goes, will Eldridge carry on alone?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTlrjqLDXSSnKBACNG5zb8pkAu5xhZ7kYBfscAmPw TmpGHBGMz

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 11:36
Senile Chief Executive of a dodgy, scandal -ridden and contracting enterprise resigns.

Call that news?

screwballburling
11th Feb 2013, 11:39
My guess is, he knew too much and got out before they moved him aside (poisoned) him.

Same crowd that hung the banker under Blackfriers bridge, IIRC.

SASless
11th Feb 2013, 11:42
If for health....I wonder what is on his "Bucket List"?

OFSO
11th Feb 2013, 11:56
Bears seen running out of the woods here.....

BOAC
11th Feb 2013, 12:02
Anyone offering odds on Silvio yet?

screwballburling
11th Feb 2013, 12:04
Good one!! :ok:

He would be ideal for them!

Blacksheep
11th Feb 2013, 12:09
He was shown on TV at some ceremony recently and Mrs BS commented "Oh Dear! He looks just like you father did at his 80th birthday party".

My father died from Alzheimers three years later. My guess is that he's been diagnosed in similar condition and quitting is then the best option for all concerned.

Tankertrashnav
11th Feb 2013, 12:14
What Farrell said :ok:

Having just watched some news clips of the Pope in recent months it's pretty obvious the old guy is in very poor health, and can hardly be up to the job any more. Can't see that there's any point in looking for an ulterior motive.

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 12:17
The bloke before him seemed even more knackered, but hung on till the last moment.

Why don't they retire at 65 or 67 or whatever the current age is?

Oh, hang on, they are usually not appointed until well after that age.

B Fraser
11th Feb 2013, 12:21
As they say in Edinburgh, "Lang may yer lum reek !".

El Grifo
11th Feb 2013, 12:39
Yeah, but that's "wi other peoples coal" :ok:

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 12:42
Perhaps he thinks he's been flogging a dead horse?

I had not realised that the Holy See had a shareholding in Findus.

sitigeltfel
11th Feb 2013, 12:49
An ideal candidate.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/buddles/jack037fj.jpg

ShyTorque
11th Feb 2013, 12:54
I had not realised that the Holy See had a shareholding in Findus.

Er, yes, exactly...... or choose any other similar punch line from the many in circulation. :p

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 13:01
Er, yes, exactly...... or choose any other similar punch line from the many in circulation. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I am so sorry.

I do have one or two other things to do, and have failed to follow all the sources available. Mea culps.

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
11th Feb 2013, 13:27
.......My grand daughter thinks maybe he's forgotten his password.

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2013, 13:30
What would Jesus have done?

El Grifo
11th Feb 2013, 13:35
Are we really being asked to believe that this was a snap decision that shocke those around him. A decision that he kept from all until the last minute.

That is certainly how it is being played in the media.

Would this be likely to happen.

If so, why, if not, why present it as such ???

rgbrock1
11th Feb 2013, 13:35
What would Jesus have done? Wept?

Fareastdriver
11th Feb 2013, 13:58
I've had an email from somebody trying to unload stacks of money from the Vatican's coffers because the Pope has packed it in already.

Ancient Observer
11th Feb 2013, 14:11
We need a creative list of candidates.

I would favour Billy Connolly.

Beckham seems to have lots of spare time at present.

B liar is free of current commitments.

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 14:15
Ex MP C. Huhne is probably available. He wouldn't need a car within the confines of the Vatican, and you would be hard pressed to build up enough speed to get caught.

He could always pass the points on to the Virgin Mary.

Lonewolf_50
11th Feb 2013, 14:16
Two thoughts here.

a. Possibly an exercise in humility: I can't hack it anymore.

b. Possible diagnosis of dementia and Alzheimers, and a decision that " I soon won't be able to hack it any more, and will then be just a puppet with someone's hand up me backside."

Can't figure out which one is more likely. What I heard on radio this morning was that he made this remark in Latin, during a meeting, and apparently took most of the assembled persons by surprise.

So long, Benny, go back to being a scholar, your first love.

Just a spotter
11th Feb 2013, 14:17
A bit of the brilliance of Fr. Ted;

Father Dougal McGuire: I've never met a celebrity before.
Father Ted Crilly: You met the Pope.
Dougal: Did I?
Ted: Yes, do you not remember that time we were in Rome?
Dougal: That was the Pope? That old fella living in the art gallery?
Ted: The Vatican, Dougal! The Vatican!
Dougal: Still, he's not a celebrity in the true sense of the word.
Ted: He's God's representative on Earth, Dougal!
Dougal: You'd think he'd be taller.
Ted: You mean like a giant?

JAS

hellsbrink
11th Feb 2013, 14:31
b. Possible diagnosis of dementia and Alzheimers, and a decision that " I soon won't be able to hack it any more, and will then be just a puppet with someone's hand up me backside."

I thought that was the main qualification for the job?

B liar is free of current commitments.

Nope, he thinks he is God, so that would be a demotion..........

Alloa Akbar
11th Feb 2013, 14:40
He looks chuffed about it though..

https://twitter.com/Popemeister

hellsbrink
11th Feb 2013, 14:49
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/222730_536022999751967_434488697_n.jpg

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 14:51
How on Earth can B Liar think he's God when he hasn't done CFS??:ok:

hellsbrink
11th Feb 2013, 15:01
Because Cherie (forked fingers, hack, spit) told him it was true

obgraham
11th Feb 2013, 15:07
The usual vitriol here, I see. You all seem to take an inordinate interest in this man, considering you mostly claim to be irreligious.

I'll take his message at face value: "I'm getting too old and too infirm to do the job any more."

He's exactly what was asked of him, to be a placeholder for the job after the prior occupant. I'm hoping for a reformer this time around.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 15:12
What? You mean someone who will immediately hand over all evidence of child-molesting, and the subsequent cover-ups, like any decent person would?

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 15:18
You all seem to take an inordinate interest in this man, considering you mostly claim to be irreligious.

One can hardly avoid his doctrines, his organisation's views, actions and lack of actions.
See my earlier post. CEO resigns from failing entreprise.

SpringHeeledJack
11th Feb 2013, 15:23
I think that retiring before he becomes as decrepit as his predecessor is/was a smart move and will pave the way for a younger, perhaps more vibrant pope.

You mean someone who will immediately hand over all evidence of child-molesting, and the subsequent cover-ups, like any decent person would?

Sadly 'The Firm' won't allow that to happen as it would weaken the omnipotence of the Roman Catholic church around the world to millions of devoted followers. The Pope is the same as the US President, a figurehead (with powers), but ultimately the real power lies behind the curtain amongst the dominant interests/factions.

SHJ

Ancient Observer
11th Feb 2013, 15:31
There's an awful lot of art in the "art galley" that the old man lives in. They could flog a load of that off to some Russian oligarch and use the money to firstly pay the fines for the sins of the flesh that the various local vicars have indulged in, and then spend some on helping the poor.

Once they've helped the poor, and, of course, donned some hair shirts, maybe they could get out and about a bit selling Jesus' message, with a bit less of the threats of damnation???

As they are losing customers at a fast rate of knots, maybe a big Corporate merger with one of the Competitors?

stuckgear
11th Feb 2013, 15:37
from what i understand, his resignation, due to health reasons, is parkinsons which he considers would impinge on his abilities for his role.

not being a catholic, i wish him all the best and think that he made the right decision. apparantly my spies tell me he's been considering the health implications on his role for some months.

rgbrock1
11th Feb 2013, 15:40
Parkinsons? Interesting in that any of the recent footage of the Pontiff doesn't outwardly show any signs of that disease. Then again, who knows?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 15:41
stuckgear has some pretty bloody good spies.....

lomapaseo
11th Feb 2013, 15:42
Of course there will be the theories of cover-ups and hidden children in the background.

But does it matter?

What does matter is the recovery process.

Lots of intrigue left to speculate on.

Do they even need a cathoilic ? let alone a priest, a bishop or a cardinal.

How about a muslim? He/she could even wear a suicide vest under their vestments in case somebody crossed them

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 15:43
the sins of the flesh that the various local vicars have indulged in

"priests", I think, not "vicars"

Let us be accurate in our remarks.

rgbrock1
11th Feb 2013, 15:44
Or Brothers, wings. Must not forget them.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 15:47
Do they even need a Catholic?

Why not a horse? They're everywhere else these days?

Pope Incitatus !!

Speaking of spies, this article from a year ago is quite prescient

Pope Benedict XVI (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/28/pope-benedict-xvi-s-age-health-have-vatican-watchers-abuzz.html)

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2013, 15:56
Do they even need a Catholic?

Mrs Blair (http://www.dollymix.tv/sharpen%20cherie4.gif)?

ExXB
11th Feb 2013, 15:57
What? You mean someone who will immediately hand over all evidence of child-molesting, and the subsequent cover-ups, like any decent person would?

Or to take realistic steps to make sure it Never (Never, Never, Never, Never, Ever) happens again.

stuckgear
11th Feb 2013, 16:00
stuckgear has some pretty bloody good spies.....

my connections with the Illuminati.

Ancient Observer
11th Feb 2013, 16:01
Wings -

"Let us be accurate in our remarks."

....and break the habits of JB????

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 16:02
If you have Alzheimer or Parkinson or any other sort of dementia or cerebral affliction, and feel you should retire / withdraw from office, then why not?

Has this bloke got either? Or both?

I have no idea.

There will, I suppose, come a point where if one is victim of one or t'other, one can no longer reason. So better to jack it in before that point is reached.

It does strike the non christian, however, that the alleged infallibility of the pope, succesor to saint peter, may be a little bit of a stretch of the imagination, since the popes are subject to the same maladies as anybody else.

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 16:04
Wings -

"Let us be accurate in our remarks."

....and break the habits of JB????

Well, at least a nod in the direction of accuracy. OK?

Ancient Observer
11th Feb 2013, 16:07
SWMBO, who was brought up in a very seriously Catholic household, Irish style, wishes to point out that there just cannot ever be 2 popes, even if 1 has retired. (Quickly points out that she was brought up in the Latin/Roman Catholic faith, not the Irish Catholic faith, which was a serious competitor to the Roman version back in the day)

The doctrines have evolved since the last resignation, and there just cannot be two Popes. So, her theory is that the old one expects to breathe his last before the new one gets her feet under the table.

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 16:13
If you blindly swallow all this stuff about the pope being the direct apostolic descendant of St peter, then of course there cannot be be two alive at the same time.

Curious Pax
11th Feb 2013, 16:17
Unless the next one is his son. Oh....errr.... I'll get me coat......

beaufort1
11th Feb 2013, 16:18
Apparently he's a bit upset that the Papal Bull turned out to be a horse. :}

rgbrock1
11th Feb 2013, 16:18
AO:

SWMBO is correct: there cannot be two popes. (I too was raised a Roman Catholic. And I have the scars to prove it.)

According to what I've read, it is believed a new pope will be selected shortly before Easter.

It would not surprise me if the current incumbent dies before then.

Tankertrashnav
11th Feb 2013, 16:19
With the greatest of respect to Mrs A-O I think we can assume that the Pope has checked his facts and is sure that the new Pope will indeed be just that, not an interloper. By the way, re your earlier suggestion about flogging the family silver (in this case art collection) to pay fines and distribute among the poor, well that's great as far as it goes, but spread out among the world's poor it would probably mean everybody got $5 or some similar sum. In any case Gordon Brown tried that once (in our case it was gold). Didn't that work out well!

stuckgear
11th Feb 2013, 16:19
ahh but there can be two popes...

behold.. the Pope on a Rope Soap..

http://www.ship-of-fools.com/gadgets/pope/media/soap_on_a_rope.jpg

or is it Soap on a Rope Pope?

rgbrock1
11th Feb 2013, 16:21
stuckgear:

is that picture of a device used for self-flagellation? Or for casting out the evil spirits of MS Windows Vista (or ME for that matter) whilst striking the subject machine?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 16:23
I think it's used by nuns when there isn't a candle handy.

Illustration please, Slasher....

Ancient Observer
11th Feb 2013, 16:23
That piccy must be a forgery. The rope isn't attached in the right place.

B Fraser
11th Feb 2013, 16:27
I'm voting for Cardinal Scola as the next pontiff.

Pope Scola !!!!!!!!

:D

Ancient Observer
11th Feb 2013, 16:45
How about Cardinal Athletics? (The Women's teams, of course)

Tableview
11th Feb 2013, 17:08
Just watching BBC news and listening to the sycophantic fawning reactions of people to this. Puke-making stuff.

racedo
11th Feb 2013, 17:49
It does strike the non christian, however, that the alleged infallibility of the pope, succesor to saint peter, may be a little bit of a stretch of the imagination, since the popes are subject to the same maladies as anybody else.

Pope is not infallible on everything nor has Catholic church ever claimed he is.

Slasher
11th Feb 2013, 18:00
I think according to Catholic dogma the Pope is supposed to be
infallible when he pumps out an encyclical - ie ex cathedra.

flying lid
11th Feb 2013, 18:06
Is battering the Bishop a cardinal sin ?

Lid

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 18:06
Pope is not infallible on everything nor has Catholic church ever claimed he is.

Well, you perhaps know best.

I had heard otherwise, without ever believing it.

racedo
11th Feb 2013, 18:14
Well, you perhaps know best.

I had heard otherwise, without ever believing it.

What you said is a common misconception..............even among some Catholics but its not the case.

Papal Infallibility | Catholic Answers (http://www.catholic.com/tracts/papal-infallibility)

Sunnyjohn
11th Feb 2013, 18:15
SWMBO, who was brought up in a very seriously Catholic household, Irish style, wishes to point out that there just cannot ever be 2 popes
Sorry Ancient Observer,but in this case your better half is wrong. Direct her to a splendid book which I m wading through entitled 'Three Thousand Years of Christianity' by Diarmaid MacCulloch, in which you will find that during the eleventh century there were indeed two Popes, one for the Western Catholic Church and one for the Eastern CC.

racedo
11th Feb 2013, 18:21
Sorry Ancient Observer,but in this case your better half is wrong. Direct her to a splendid book which I m wading through entitled 'Three Thousand Years of Christianity' by Diarmaid MacCulloch, in which you will find that during the eleventh century there were indeed two Popes, one for the Western Catholic Church and one for the Eastern CC.

There still is a Coptic Pope in Egypt.

rgbrock1
11th Feb 2013, 18:23
According to one of the many dogma of the Roman Catholic church, the pope is without error when in exercise of his office
as "shepherd and teacher of all Christians" and in virtue of supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church. In this, he is
infallible.

In other words, the teachings of the Pope are infallible. These are solemn papal definitions or, ex Cathedra teachings.

The Pope himself, as a man, is not infallible in his mortal being.

rotornut
11th Feb 2013, 18:29
Maybe he joined the Jehovah's Witnesses!

wings folded
11th Feb 2013, 18:33
What you said is a common misconception..............even among some Catholics but its not the case.

Your quoted sorce is a tract, relying for its source on quotations from litterary sources whose veracity you appear to adopt, but for others, who are more sceptical, remain open to debate.

Never mind. Believe what you want to believe.

I have nothing but respect for that ( Your) freedom.

Hobo
11th Feb 2013, 18:39
Will he be taking over at QPR?

Sunnyjohn
11th Feb 2013, 18:48
The Pope is not infallible on everything nor has Catholic church ever claimed he is.
the confusion is that the Catholic Church's definition with regard to the word 'Infallible' as applied to the Pope is not the same as the dictionary definition, which is: incapable of making mistakes or being wrong
However, the definition of Papal Infallibility (yes, there is one!) is: the doctrine that in specified circumstances the Pope is incapable of error in pronouncing dogma. (My italics). Interesting stuff.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 18:56
Will he be taking over at QPR?

No point; Harry knows he's infallible.

I reckon this is who Abramovich has lined up to replace Benitez at Chelsea. Would explain a lot.

exeng
11th Feb 2013, 19:39
If there is a funny hat and dress going spare my Mrs would ne interested?

dead_pan
11th Feb 2013, 20:58
incapable of making mistakes or being wrong

On this basis my missus would be ideally suited to this job - to whom should she address her application?

Tankertrashnav
11th Feb 2013, 21:29
Racedo - I think you are flogging a dead horse here. You understand the doctrine of papal infallibility, as I did as a kid when we were taught it at school, notably the limited circumstances of his infallibility. However it suits the Catholic bashers to say that Catholics believe that the Pope can do no wrong and cannot make any mistakes, and I don't think you are going to change their minds. Basically, don't confuse them with the facts, their minds are made up :ugh:

racedo
11th Feb 2013, 21:54
TT

Yup I know that :)

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2013, 23:04
I'm surprised that he only has to give 16 days notice.

lomapaseo
12th Feb 2013, 00:15
I'm surprised that he only has to give 16 days notice.

Notice of what? It's like the president (Nixon) retiring. It's not like there are no apprentices waiting to do the job. They probably won't go bankrupt or lose a lot of money. I sure won't miss him nor do I expect the world to notice.

It's all about his succesor that matters and the pagentry of the movie Shoes of the Fisherman"

Cacophonix
12th Feb 2013, 01:09
Rope and dope and, well **** the pope...

Muhammad Ali Famous Interview After Defeating Foreman - YouTube

Caco

Mac the Knife
12th Feb 2013, 03:21
Best headline

"Ex-Benedict no longer on Vatican menu" (Daily Maverick)

Mac

:ok:

notmyC150v2
12th Feb 2013, 05:16
My ten year old, upon reading the ticker tape at the bottom of the TV screen said "Maybe the muslims couldn't make a better offer".

Apparently he thought it said "Pope Benedict Re Signs"

sitigeltfel
12th Feb 2013, 06:18
If there is a funny hat and dress going spare my Mrs would be interested?

She can make her choice here ;)

CYzRL9YIswQ

B Fraser
12th Feb 2013, 06:51
Thanks Mac, I have tea running down my nose. Brilliant !

:D

Tankertrashnav
12th Feb 2013, 09:02
I sure won't miss him nor do I expect the world to notice.

Top news item on every bulletin here in the UK, and I suspect in all nominally Christian countries around the world, not to mention 100 plus posts on here in a short time. Some may miss him, some won't, but billions will notice.

Upslack
12th Feb 2013, 09:40
While some of the replies to this thread have been humorous, a good many are ill-informed, ignorant, disrespectful and offensive to people with any kind of affiliation to the catholic church. This kind of tabloid commentary has been the source of much conflict when similar comments are made about faiths less tolerant than the catholic faith. Caution and restraint are advised.

I admire a man who puts his faith and core belief before his ego. He clearly is in failing health and I believe has made the right decision for the church in which he believes.

Has anyone else on this forum loyally devoted over 60 years to anything?

funfly
12th Feb 2013, 11:22
Wow, upslack says it all.:rolleyes:

(By the way, it's not the 'Catholic' church, it's the 'Roman Catholic Church' - 'catholic' is a bit presumptuous)

Tony Blair for next pope methinks, he could do the same for the Roman Catholic church as he did for us :)

funfly
12th Feb 2013, 11:34
Question - If you post something in JP (which doesn't count your posts) then how do you get a count of 1 ?
Sorry Pope, I digressed:p

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Feb 2013, 11:38
Unless and until the Roman Catholic Church hands over all documentation relating to child abuse, actively assists (not just 'co-operates') in tracking down all wrong-doers, and willingly compensates the victims, then they are clearly not interested in the teachings of their faith, just their own power and egos.
The Pope's duty is to lead the faithful in 'doing the right thing'? All I've seen is the opposite.
Judging by the massive drop in church attendances, the Church's parishioners are even more ashamed of it than the rest of us.

Ancient Observer
12th Feb 2013, 11:59
Disrespectful

Of course we are disrespectful. Covering up and hiding paedos on a Global basis is not a way to earn respect.

The current resident at the art galley - admission only 50 Euros - might well be a clever person, but it appears that his team is letting him down.......everywhere in the world.

Also, why does he need a Butler??? Jesus did not have a Butler.

Tableview
12th Feb 2013, 12:02
Disrespectful ........... oh, you mean the Catholic Church deserves respect? I must have missed something then.

Alloa Akbar
12th Feb 2013, 12:14
I'll second the previous 3 posters (Particularly Fox3) and point out that by sad coincidence, Jimmy Savile was a Roman Catholic too!!

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 12:17
Well, at least the vast majority of the Roman Catholic church adherents don't strap bombs to themselves and blow their arses up, all in the name of Jesus.

Tableview
12th Feb 2013, 12:23
A Catholic boy in confession says,
"Bless me Father, I have sinned, I masturbated while thinking about my sister."

"That's a disgrace," said the priest, "especially when you have two gorgeous brothers."

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 12:24
Tableview:

That's was extremely not nice. You will not have 7 virgins in Paradise because of your last post.

Oh.

Ooops. Wrong religion.

Never mind.

BOAC
12th Feb 2013, 12:25
all in the name of Jesus. - not sure many do?

funfly - if you are wondering about 'upslack', there is a post outside JB - or it could be divine intervention..

B Fraser
12th Feb 2013, 12:28
Jesus did not have a Butler

Indeed he didn't. He went to a wedding and got the beers in without any help. Top chap !

dead_pan
12th Feb 2013, 13:13
Has anyone else on this forum loyally devoted over 60 years to anything?

What a silly question. It is also deeply ageist.

I've loyally devoted 40 or so years of my life to breathing and not being run over by cars - is that the sort of thing you mean?

dead_pan
12th Feb 2013, 13:23
Well, at least the vast majority of the Roman Catholic church adherents don't strap bombs to themselves and blow their arses up, all in the name of Jesus.

Are you saying a minority do? Pray do tell.

I was just thinking how certain of our Muslim brethren would have reacted to such ribald commentary on this thread had it related to their religion? Fatwas all round methinks.

Alloa Akbar
12th Feb 2013, 13:28
at least the vast majority of the Roman Catholic church adherents don't strap bombs to themselves and blow their arses up, all in the name of Jesus.

That's true.. Over here in the UK they just strapped bombs to everything else and blew every other fcuker up in the name of Republicanism.. Terrorism didn't start with Al Qaeda.

Are you saying a minority do? Pray do tell IRA.. Next question.. (in anticipation of pedant mode, I know that those feckwits weren't noted for suicide bombs, it was a general terrorism / Catholic connection)

charliegolf
12th Feb 2013, 13:38
IRA Catholic connection? Alloa, are you seriously proposing that the '68 onward 'troubles' were 'religious'? Sectarian- in a secular sense- yes, religious, nope.

CG

PS haven't read all the stuff before your post.

Alloa Akbar
12th Feb 2013, 14:01
CG - Nope.. Just suggesting that the Republican feckwits were generally of a Catholic persuasion.. In the same vane that the Loyalists were predominantly Protestant. Their actual motivation was allegedly politics.. seasoned with a smattering or extortion, drug dealing, arms dealing and prostitution.. well even politically motivated terrorists have got to find money somewhere, other than from your average ill informed 3rd generation Irish American Noraid contributor

Anyway, without wishing to feed thread creep into "Which religion provides the biggest bunch of terrorist twats".. It was merely a method of demonstrating that Catholics are not simply fine upstanding people by virtue of their devotion to their religion, and in fact they can be vile, lying murderous bastards as much as anybody else..

PS haven't read all the stuff before your post. The previous page or so will give you an idea as to what I was getting at ;)

charliegolf
12th Feb 2013, 14:51
AA

Alloa Admirable! Thought you'd gone off piste there!:ok:

CG

G-CPTN
12th Feb 2013, 15:29
If there is a funny hat and dress going spare my Mrs would be interested?
The wife of an archbishop was buying herself an outfit to attend a wedding as a guest. The sales assistant was suggesting various colours, however the wife remarked that there might be a problem as her husband "wore a lot of purple".

obgraham
12th Feb 2013, 15:43
Upslack:

If you are a person of faith, and expecting to get any sort of respect, you are certainly in the wrong place here. There is a long history of denigrating anything to do with Christianity.

Most here will spend inordinate amount of time telling you ewhy you should not believe what you believe.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it is innate in the English mentality to be preoccupied with telling everyone else what to do and how to think: faith, guns, food, others' politics, and even aviation topics.

Perhaps it goes back to the 19th century which they spent trying to impose Englishness on the rest of the world.

Tankertrashnav
12th Feb 2013, 16:17
It's strange. I was brought up as Roman Catholic, even went to a Jesuit prep school (and no, I wasn't abused, sexually or otherwise). Through my early teens I gradually started thinking (as a lot do) that it was all a load of tosh, and my final attendance at mass (other than weddings, funerals etc) was when I was 17. Originally, with all the arrogance and certainty of the young I thought myself an atheist. Now I would describe myself as an agnostic, although I sometimes attend Anglican services because I enjoy the atmosphere and the music.

However every now and then when I see the Roman Catholic church being attacked in a way that seeks to attribute the evil doings of some of its clergy to the majority I think of the many kind, hard-working priests (and nuns) I have met over the years, particularly during my childhood, and feel it is a pity that they get tarred with the same brush as the evil minority.

Tableview
12th Feb 2013, 16:29
I attended a RC school. The level of sadistic cruelty meted out by the teachers and housemasters was way beyond the bounds of what would be acceptable today. I am not a believer in 'softly softly' and am of the opinion that a clip round the ear or a reasonably administered caning is not a bad thing. What I am referring to is ritual public humiliation and inappropriate touching bordering on, but not quite, sexual abuse.

It was, of course, all in the name of our Bountiful Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Trinity and all that crap.

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 16:47
Tableview:

I attended parochial Kindergarten, parochial elementary school and 2 years of parochial High School. All of which was hosted by the Roman Catholic church.

Abuse? Tell me about it. Although I never saw anything which could possibly be construed as sexual abuse, there was plenty of abuse for all. Head slapping, beatings by the Brothers in the hallways, having the ruler smacked down hard on your knuckles, etc. None of these could possibly be taken as normal forms of discipline but profound wuppins', beatings, trashings, etc. I remember one kid, during 8th grade, who came back into the classroom with a bloody nose and a black eye. This was suffered at the hands of one of our illustrious Franciscan Brothers. The kid's crime? He got a 'D' grade in, gulp, religion.

The nuns could be just as ruthless. I made the decidedly wrong decision of using my fountain pen to flip ink onto the back of a nun's robe as she walked by my desk one day. Little did I know she saw, somehow, what I had done. I still recall the wuppin' I got for that transgression. And believe me, I would have much rather have said 1 billion Hail Mary's in 33.4 seconds as penance instead of the thorough trashing I got!

THEY ARE ALL SICK.

:)

charliegolf
12th Feb 2013, 16:51
I've only attended and worked in Catholic schools and was never abused, ritually humiliated or cruelly beaten as a kid. As a teacher, I never ritually abused, cruelly beat or touched up a child. As a head I never saw, heard or had it reported to me that one of my staff had done such things.

Am I due a rebate from someone?

CG

PS TTN :D

PPS RGB Rock: I made the decidedly wrong decision of using my fountain pen to flip ink onto the back of a nun's robe as she walked by my desk one day. Little did I know she saw, somehow, what I had done. I still recall the wuppin' I got for that transgression.

a) what did you expect? b) had you done that to your squad Sgt, what would you expect?

Upslack
12th Feb 2013, 16:53
obgraham, you along with Farrell and Stuckgear, are about the only three contributors to this thread who are making any kind of rational sense. The rest, who rush to jump on the populist band wagon, only expose the limitations of their understanding.

"Paedophile Father", "Paedophile Uncle", "Paedophile Next-Door-Neighbour" or even "Paedophile Pilot" don't have the same ring as "Paedophile Priest", yet all the research tells us (if you guys bother to read it) that significantly more children are abused by men who have nothing to do with the church. But that doesn't sell newspapers does it?

Nobody in their right mind would condone the abuse of children by sexual predators, or the manner in which this tragedy for victims has been handled by the hierarchy, but please don't' blame "the Catholic Church" for the disgraceful actions of a few errant clergy. The majority of clergy, are fine upstanding men of conviction and character who, unlike many on this forum, stand up for what they believe in.

BTW "the Catholic Church" is not the Vatican. The Catholic Church is comprised of its faithful members, ordinary Joe Soaps who go about their business as best they can, raising families, making a living etc. Hence my initial point about some posts being offensive and disrespectful. I doubt the big cheeses in the Vatican give a hoot about any views expressed here!

While I'm at it.....the fall in church attendance referred to by Foz3WheresMyBanana has little if anything to do with child abuse scandals in the Catholic Church. Again, if you read a little wider than this forum, you would know that church attendance is in decline in most religions in the western world, largely due to a rise in secularism.

It is regrettable that this thread has degenerated into Irish Catholic bashing based on ill-informed opinion. Why don't you start a thread that takes cheap shots at Islam and see what happens?

radeng
12th Feb 2013, 17:25
Father Lombardi has stated that the Pope had heart surgery the other month and had the batteries in his pacemaker replaced. As pacemakers are in electron beam welded titanium cans, and pacemakers get changed, not the batteries, it shows that they are lying. That maybe through ignorance, but it makes one wonder how accurate the rest of their ideas are....... especially about contraception, divorce and abortion.

Mr Chips
12th Feb 2013, 17:30
Catholic educated 5-18
Altar Boy 11-17

never abused, never beaten.

is almost as if these terrible acts were committed by individuals rather than an entire religion....

Mr Chips
12th Feb 2013, 17:32
Radeng please tell me you are joking!!! A priest didn't know about batteries in pacemakers therefore the entire foundation of the Roman Catholic church is a sham?

I'm pretty sure most people have no idea about pacemakers....

stuckgear
12th Feb 2013, 17:35
I was just thinking how certain of our Muslim brethren would have reacted to such ribald commentary on this thread had it related to their religion? Fatwas all round methinks.

perhaps many chrsitians are more secure in their faith, not feeling the need to vow death and destruction over any percieved slight.

:hmm:

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 17:38
charliegolf wrote:

a) what did you expect? b) had you done that to your squad Sgt, what would you expect?

a: a beatin'
b: a beatin', squared.

stuckgear
12th Feb 2013, 17:38
I've only attended and worked in Catholic schools and was never abused, ritually humiliated or cruelly beaten

went to a catholic school and likewise..

now if only Ryanair and Flexiscrew pilots could say the same thing about their employment* terms.

NB the word 'employment' of course used in very loose context. :hmm:

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 17:39
Mr Chips wrote:

is almost as if these terrible acts were committed by individuals rather than an entire religion...

Yes, these terrible and heinous acts were committed by individuals who represent a specific religion.

rgbrock1
12th Feb 2013, 17:50
eh stuckgear? What does O'Bummer have to do with priests, nuns and Brothers who represent the RC church?

edited to add: I see Mr. Stuckgear has removed his post. Suffering from a Momentary Lapse of Reason, stuckgear me boy?!!!!!! :}:}:}

Low Flier
12th Feb 2013, 17:50
http://i.mol.im/img/cartoons/mac/2013/02/12022013.jpg
‘He’s right you know – we’ve never had a Pope Tony.’

stuckgear
12th Feb 2013, 17:51
yeah i tugged the post RGB i re-read your post a second time and saw the context you were posting in.

racedo
12th Feb 2013, 18:20
(By the way, it's not the 'Catholic' church, it's the 'Roman Catholic Church' - 'catholic' is a bit presumptuous)

Nope its Catholic Church..................only in UK is there a need to use "Roman".

pigboat
12th Feb 2013, 19:55
Habemus Papam!

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s480x480/44371_480767235305341_491323225_n.jpg

tony draper
12th Feb 2013, 20:17
Do they still check if the incoming chap has the required correct amount of tackle hanging from his nether regions?,they don't want to make the error of finding the incoming chap is a chappess again.
:uhoh:

obgraham
12th Feb 2013, 20:27
RGB:

So are you saying you didn't deserve that thrashing?
It should be encouraged, not denigrated.

Moreover, despite having lost that particular disciplinarian tool, it seems that Catholic schools still do a better job of educating and instilling some sense of responsibility into the miscreant yoof of our inner cities. Unfortunately they have become too expensive, once the free labor was eliminated.

Mr Chips
12th Feb 2013, 20:49
Yes, these terrible and heinous acts were committed by individuals who are members of a specific religion

Fixed that for you :ok:

cockney steve
12th Feb 2013, 21:25
Sorry, Mr. Chips, they're MANAGEMENT of that religion.....they sell the dogma to anyone who will take it.

Now, think, IF they believed in the Almighty and the religious tenets surrounding that belief, they wouldn't have DARED to abuse their fellow man,contrary to all the teachings they profess to uphold

The dichotomy between their professed belief and their actions is so vast that any rational person would conclude that these "priests" were Charlatans and hucksters of the highest order

In isolation, one accepts that there are a few "lost souls" in any organisation.
In the case of the Religion business, there was a systematic abuse, lying, denial and falsehoods that destroyed the credibility of the organisation.

Those who have stuck by "the roman-catholic Church" have therefore endorsed this behaviour by their acceptance.

They proofess a belief in God and "his" word...tha fact that they haven't turned their backs on this religion,to which, by their own "teachings" they bore false witness, shows their hypocrisy.

I have yet to hear of ANY organised religion which is not predicated on making a comfortable living for it's heirarchy.

I have made good aquaintance with a couple of clergy ,over the years,their excuse for staying with a particular faith, is "it brings comfort and strength to those who need it"...in other words, It's a crutch, an emotional prop.....nowt wrong with that, but IF there is a supreme being, it's an absolute, I don't believe you can choose the "flavour" of ideologies that suit YOU...and do you really have the arrogant presumption to thinkthis almighty power has time and inclination to listen to you, among billions? Conceit or what?

Tankertrashnav
12th Feb 2013, 21:41
Where's Keef? We need a bit of sound common sense from someone who is a "representative" (as some would have it) of a different branch of Christianity.

Mr Chips
12th Feb 2013, 21:42
Wow Cockney, thats quite a rant, and one that could be aimed at any religion, political party, large company, charity etc.

I have yet to hear of ANY organised religion which is not predicated on making a comfortable living for it's heirarchy
I've yet to meet a wealthy catholic parish priest.

Does a religious belief bring solace to those with faith? yes? Good. Their business, not yours

I can see what annoys you, now let me tell you what annoys me. On Jetblast, in more threads than I can count, we get treated to posters say that tehy have met a bad teacher/policeman/priest/wog/american etc therefore all of them are bad, and the organisation concerned is therefore rotten to the core and anyone supporting said organisation are /deluded/fools/involved

Frankly bored of it.

My father was raised in the Catholic Care system. My mother worked for a catholic adoption agency. I was educated by the catholic church and the money from the catholic church.

I have seen the level of support received by many people from the catholic church, its clergy and its lay supporters/organisations

I know one single solitary person who suffered abuse at the hands of a clergyman. A CofE vicar. A vicar, not the Church of England.

racedo
12th Feb 2013, 22:05
Well said Mr Chips :D:D:D

Listen to the crap that somehow all Catholics are to blame for actions of a few and it is a very few.

Overwhelming majority of abuse occurs in the home by family members but somehow easier to blame Catholic church.

obgraham
12th Feb 2013, 23:22
Those who have stuck by "the roman-catholic Church" have therefore endorsed this behaviour by their acceptance.
Horse sh1te. There's no other word to describe your stupidity.

lomapaseo
12th Feb 2013, 23:44
Lets stick with the thread subject, the Pope and his likely successor and can the rest of the crap :ugh:

david1300
13th Feb 2013, 02:13
Well said, Mr Chips:ok::ok:

And no, I am not a catholic/Catholic/Roman Catholic

RatherBeFlying
13th Feb 2013, 04:08
Child abuse in the church goes back centuries, but in fact, it's ecumenical.

Here in Canada aboriginal children were forcibly rounded up and sent to residential schools run by various denominations -- abuse was ecumenical.

The mortality rate was substantial.

While some Muslims have taken to blowing up innocent people, the toll exacted by them still falls far short of that exacted by various religious wars and ethnic cleansings in Europe -- even far short of the toll exacted in the Iraq Enterprise.

pigboat
14th Feb 2013, 02:04
While some Muslims have taken to blowing up innocent people, the toll exacted by them still falls far short of that exacted by various religious wars and ethnic cleansings in Europe..
Give 'em time, they've had 600 years less to work on it. :E

Looks like the resignation made the boss a little testy.

http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/bolt-from-bluel.jpg?w=260

VFD
14th Feb 2013, 02:09
I think the Pope is giving up being Pope for Lent:ok:

VFD

Desert Dingo
14th Feb 2013, 03:39
The change can only be good.
It is always a bit of a worry seeing a German on a balcony in front of a crowd of adoring followers :E

Ancient Observer
14th Feb 2013, 11:22
I'm sure that some bits of the Roman catholic church ruled from the art gallery in Rome do some good stuff.

Others do not.

I have a cunning plan to put it all right.

For many years in the Roman church it was traditional that Rich families bought their way in to Pope positions. So my proposal is that a rich family - keeping up the tradition, should buy their way in to the next Pope election. There are lots of Russians with a bit of spare cash, or that Italian media baron.

Then, they could put in a black woman as the next Pope. The black part of the plot might work, but the woman bit might prove difficult, so they would have to use the ploys used by the filmers of Shakespeare in Love.

Then, once this person had got their feet under the table, and had issues an infallible encyclical or two, they could reveal their true gender.

The men in skirts with funny hats would not dare to remove the new person, so in no time at all the church would have been modernised. As the new Pope would be female, she could sort out lots of their problems that the current men will not address.

A cunning plan.

Tableview
14th Feb 2013, 11:44
http://sixtorodriguez.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/rod-for-pope.jpg?w=560

Mr Chips
14th Feb 2013, 14:02
Ancient Observer I thought you were building up to suggesting Prince Harry for Pope.... :E

(I think there is still a ceremonial/traditional check performed to prevent pesky women getting in)

Lonewolf_50
14th Feb 2013, 16:02
racedo, you are mistaken, see below in my rsponse to wings.
Wings, the RCC doctrine of infallibility is reserved to the pope's acting ex cathedra, in terms of faith and morals. You will find that spelled out in the bull that asserted it, and in the current teachings of the RCC.
Infallible does not mean immortal.
He is still human, as we all are, with a human's shortcomings and capacity for sin and suffering.
The pope is Christ's Vicar on earth, not Christ. (Then again, at no few points in time various Pope's have asserted the Savior's authority as their own. I am not sure that always went well, see King Henry VIII as an example).
"Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole
Church"."
References, if you'd care to get better informed:
Catholic Encyclopedia: "Scope and object of infallibility: In the Vatican definition infallibility (whether of the Church at large or of the pope) is affirmed only in regard to doctrines of faith or morals ... for the maintenance and interpretation and legitimate development of Christ's teaching that the Church was endowed with this charisma."
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Infallibility (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07790a.htm)
First Vatican Council, "First Dogmatic Constitution on the Church (http://www.ewtn.com/library/COUNCILS/V1.htm#6)", chapter 4, 9 (this is from the Vatican Council being held (1870ish) while the Italian Civil war was drawing to a close, and the Papacy was being divested of its lands one by one.

Just a note about all this:

One reason the question of papal infallibliity came up had to do with some centuries of dispute between various popes and various bishops and factions (such as the Dominicans) regarding papal authority and its limits. What was meant by that, and what power a given Pope tried to exercise, varied from Pope to Pope. Part of what went on in Vatican I was that the Ecumenical Council (more or less a meeting of as many bishops from all over the world as could make it) came to the agreement on what being ifnallible wasn't, as much as what being ifnallible was, and now is. ;)

A note for the gentleman who griped about dictionary definitions: many words have multiple and subtly distinct meainings. The Vatican I arguments and proceedings took the time to render a meaning for the term as applied to a pope.
Best headline "Ex-Benedict no longer on Vatican menu" (Daily
Maverick) Mac
Heh :ok:

Sunnyjohn
14th Feb 2013, 21:09
A note for the gentleman who griped about dictionary definitions: many words have multiple and subtly distinct meainings. The Vatican I arguments and proceedings took the time to render a meaning for the term as applied to a pope.
If you are referring to me, I didn't gripe, I made a comment. Since I have an MA in linguistics, I am well aware of multiple definitions of words. The Catholic Church has an interesting long history of providing its own definitions to existing words. Nothing wrong with that, except that sometimes one has to wonder whether the reason is to deliberately obfuscate.

racedo
14th Feb 2013, 21:13
Lone

I said Pope not infallible on everything and er you just proved the point so how was I wrong again ? or are you assuming that I have stated that Catholic church stated he is ?

They didn't or haven't.

Cacophonix
14th Feb 2013, 22:36
I must say that if I was the old ex pontiff I would rather surprised and pleased about the interest here on the bell weather of public opinion call JB. ;)

Caco

fernytickles
14th Feb 2013, 22:48
So, according to the press, an organisation (or business if you prefer) has 1 billion followers worldwide, and they employ a 78 year old to lead it? Can't think of many other multi-national corporations who follow that sort of philosophy?

And I think I'm correct in saying that as part of the process to choose a new pope, they huddle in a room, shut off from any communication with the outside world. Twice a day they send up a smoke signal, black for no, white for yes? Have they not heard of twi(t)ter or text? :bored:

Cacophonix
14th Feb 2013, 22:55
So, according to the press, an organisation (or business if you prefer) has 1 billion followers worldwide, and they employ a 78 year old to lead it? Can't think of many other multi-national corporations who follow that sort of philosophy?

Fernie I was wondering how old that communicator called Reagan was while he commanded the most powerful nation in the world?

I shan't mention the old USSR wax works! ;)

Caco

Sunnyjohn
15th Feb 2013, 08:19
they employ a 78 year old to lead it?
Do I detect a bit of ageism here?

Alloa Akbar
15th Feb 2013, 08:32
I currently work for a 78 year old self made man, whose Chairmanships include Mettis Aerospace, Wilkinson Sword and a few other well known names..

His age is irrelevant when measured against his ability, our company will be poorer when he retires eventually!!

charliegolf
15th Feb 2013, 10:24
On Papal Infallibility...

Time moves on, so I may be a bit out of date, but to my knowledge, the Papacy has only invoked infallibility in 2 cases:

The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception (the ignorant think this is about birth with no sex) and;
The doctrine on Papal Infall... well you get the drift, from Vatican I.

Happy to be shown fallible.:ok:

CG

sitigeltfel
16th Feb 2013, 08:35
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=9ba84c9b4f&view=att&th=13ce25805966cab9&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1

Mr Chips
16th Feb 2013, 12:06
How old is Rupert Murdoch now?

And I think I'm correct in saying that as part of the process to choose a new pope, they huddle in a room, shut off from any communication with the outside world. Twice a day they send up a smoke signal, black for no, white for yes? Have they not heard of twi(t)ter or text?

The smoke is from burning the voting slips. And shut off from communication with the world? Well...yes, its just them making the decision, so why not?

toffeez
16th Feb 2013, 12:30
The ones who will be most interested in and affected by the pope's succession are the gold-and-purple Vatican hierarchy.

The ones who will not be affected at all are the millions of poverty-stricken shirtless hungry believers.

bnt
16th Feb 2013, 20:13
From the Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/13/3852847/new-pope.html):

http://i.imgur.com/CnHyRer.jpg

ricardian
17th Feb 2013, 15:24
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525142_213267915483143_551744268_n.jpg

Sprogget
17th Feb 2013, 16:48
The RC racket likes it's Popes to die in office. If they retired, there is the risk that the old pope with his pals still at the controls will carry on running things the way the old man likes it. This is the risk it faces now. Benedicts appointments will be the conclave & you can bet your bottom dollar they are going to elect another old conservative & the show will roll on somewhere around the late seventeenth century - business as usual.

So, for someone like me guilty of fornicating outside of marriage & using birth control amongst other sins, the Eucharist is unavailable unless of course I conceal my behaviour & add sacrilege to the charge sheet. Benedict has written that those who cannot follow the doctrine on those matters should go, so even if I wanted to be a practicing Catholic before God, I am not welcome.

Does anyone think they will elect a forty year old radical liberal who will overturn all of this or even reinstate Vatican II? No, that's not going to happen, we all know it & the stance of the church which becomes less & less relevant to what actually goes on in the world every day will inexorably continue as before.

It's a nailed on cert.

El Grifo
17th Feb 2013, 17:39
The ones who will be most interested in and affected by the pope's succession are the gold-and-purple Vatican hierarchy.

The ones who will not be affected at all are the millions of poverty-stricken shirtless hungry believers.

If there was ever a truth regarding catholicism, then that must be one.

Forbidding birth control in the poorest of poor countries therefore sentencing families and children to abject poverty.

More meat for their mill :ugh:

A curse on their wicked ways !!

ExXB
17th Feb 2013, 18:27
... and more children to be molested.

racedo
17th Feb 2013, 19:14
If there was ever a truth regarding catholicism, then that must be one.

Forbidding birth control in the poorest of poor countries therefore sentencing families and children to abject poverty.

More meat for their mill :ugh:

A curse on their wicked ways !!

So how have they forbidden birth control in Bangladesh ?

Congo - 60% of primary children and 40% of secondary children educated by Catholic church as well as provision of hospitals clinics and schools.

Western Govt only sell it or the interfering powers arms to continue fighting a war for its resources.

El Grifo
17th Feb 2013, 19:44
... and more children to be molested.

or as I put it :-

More meat for their mill

Quite a lot of "Congos" about racedo. Be more specific.

racedo
17th Feb 2013, 21:55
Quite a lot of "Congos" about racedo. Be more specific.

Only one at bottom of world poorest with a major war.

Question for all those who think all Catholic priests are abusers..............

Without looking on google what % do they think ?

Sprogget
17th Feb 2013, 22:17
I don't think anyone believes they're all abusers do they? That would make it the international rock of kiddy fiddling.

I think what is central to the issue is Eggs Benedict as chief exec/prez for life guy has systematically along with the board of directors exhibited a level of denial that there has been a significant number of abusers amongst the clergy for a significant number of years and consequently done significantly nothing about it.

Not all, not most, maybe not even many, but enough for action to be required. Action that has not been forthcoming & so by common consensus, has been a massive failure on the part of the holy see to it's eternal shame.

lomapaseo
18th Feb 2013, 00:30
Warning thread drift :ugh:

Time to lock this thread

Buster Hyman
18th Feb 2013, 00:52
Really? So, they can't see their own plight & keep their pants on? Stunning logic there. :rolleyes:

El Grifo
18th Feb 2013, 11:05
Really? So, they can't see their own plight & keep their pants on? Stunning logic there.

Yeah yeah, and if you offer penniless people cheap loans which they accep,t then it is their fault if they cannot repay.

Wake up and smell the coffee mate :ugh:

ivory tower.com !!!!

quoteWarning thread drift

Time to lock this thread

Getting to close for comfort is it :p

Matari
18th Feb 2013, 11:13
Unlike certain systems of government favored by Europe's left smart set...you know, the government that forces abortions. The resulting high proportion of baby girls aborted means a future overpopulation of unmarried young men. That should be interesting.

racedo
18th Feb 2013, 12:08
I don't think anyone believes they're all abusers do they? That would make it the international rock of kiddy fiddling.

Unfortunately they do as have seen surveys where general population believed the figure was 60-70 % of priests involved where all the stats show it massively different.

Catholic child abuse in proportion | Andrew Brown | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2010/mar/11/catholic-abuse-priests)

Buster Hyman
18th Feb 2013, 12:14
Yeah yeah, and if you offer penniless people cheap loans which they accep,t then it is their fault if they cannot repay.
WTF? Lower the dosage & come back to us when you're stable. :rolleyes:

El Grifo
18th Feb 2013, 12:22
Attaboy Buster. Fight back with the only weapons you have.

Tha blunt ones :ok:

Buster Hyman
18th Feb 2013, 12:28
Whateva...:rolleyes:...I leave you to your free internet therapy...let out all that repressed angst....

Lonewolf_50
18th Feb 2013, 12:55
bnt, thank you for that cartoon. Made me chuckle. :ok:

Sprogget
18th Feb 2013, 13:15
Unfortunately they do as have seen surveys where general population believed the figure was 60-70 % of priests involved where all the stats show it massively different.Irrespective of public perception, it is a fact that as doctrinal enforcer since 1981, Benedict has rowed back from Vatican II & wielded huge power personally, ruthlessly kicking out heretical theologians, disciplining dissident priests yet not being so keen to rein in staff who are keen on itty bitty titty & young boys. The charge remains, the perception of it's scale is not really the issue.

El Grifo
18th Feb 2013, 13:20
The charge remains, the perception of it's scale is not really the issue.

Therin lies the nub :D

Ancient Observer
18th Feb 2013, 15:41
When do the men in skirts and silly hats get to-gether to bitch and moan, and then produce another entirely out of touch top guy?

Those skirts and silly hats are really something. Why do they wear them, and not the sorts of togs that Jesus and the disciples wore?

Tankertrashnav
18th Feb 2013, 15:58
Dont see what skirts and silly hats have to do with it. All organisations have uniforms. When I first joined the RAF in the mid 60's all my mates had hair down their backs and wore loon pants, whereas I was forced into short back and sides and a uniform essentially unchanged for over 50 years (over 90 years now).

They thought I looked silly!

Lonewolf_50
19th Feb 2013, 13:51
Those skirts and silly hats are really something. Why do they wear them, and not the sorts of togs that Jesus and the disciples wore?
Because they aren't Jewish carpenters nor fishermen from the year 30 AD. ;) You could argue that they are more like tax collectors, as the tithe was once a bit more stringently required ... :p

ricardian
19th Feb 2013, 14:13
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/11376_310806465689204_1547538848_n.jpg

Lonewolf_50
19th Feb 2013, 16:06
ricardian, the advertisement is, per previous discussion in this thread, very wrong in one respect.
"Fallible candidates need not apply."

In fact, all candidates are fallible before getting the fancy hat and slippers, and even after the hat and slippers (once the Cardinals do their thing and the smoke rises) are only infallible when speaking ex cathedra on faith and morals, and hence dogma, for the Church.

If you don't get what that means, consider this fact:
every pope has a confessor who accompanies him.
Why does a pope need a confessor?
He's fallible, and is fully (fally?) aware of same, and thus needs to now and again confess his falls, as it were. :}
Otherwise, that advert tickled the old funny bone. :ok:
Cheers.

wings folded
19th Feb 2013, 16:20
I thought that the "Leveraged Finance Origination" post, advertised just below, was a continuation of the former. Made as much sense anyway.

toffeez
19th Feb 2013, 16:47
Whenever I'm reading here about the Catholic church and the Vatican's riches, Google throws up an ad along the lines of "give as much as you can to Oxfam".

Tableview
23rd Feb 2013, 13:05
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p103/aidanski/album3/Popemobile.jpg

Hydromet
23rd Feb 2013, 20:49
Is there any truth to the rumour that the reason Kevin Rudd isn't interested in becoming PM is that he's responded to the ad above?

hellsbrink
24th Feb 2013, 17:46
The current Pope seemingly declared that he is quitting "because God told him he has to devote his life to prayer" (according to BBC News in the last few minutes).

Utter bullshit, there is so much more that the Vatican will not be able to squash and they know it............

lomapaseo
24th Feb 2013, 19:11
... Utter bullshit, there is so much more that the Vatican will not be able to squash and they know it............

yes but they won't have benedict to kick around anymore, he'll be enjoying his after life with 60 virgins

El Grifo
24th Feb 2013, 19:13
In the interests of precision, could he define exactly which "god" gave him the aforementioned direction.

There seems to be a lot of them about. ("gods" that is ):ugh:

Lon More
24th Feb 2013, 20:50
It seems the RH Member for Scotland won't be casting his vote

Desert Dingo
24th Feb 2013, 21:18
Maybe this will help.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1954/chooseyourreligion.jpg

El Grifo
24th Feb 2013, 21:31
It seems the RH Member for Scotland won't be casting his vote

Coming (heh, heh, coming) from a Scottish perspective, he was always a bit of a w#nker !!!

El G.

Lonewolf_50
25th Feb 2013, 00:48
El Grifo, you will find that God, as described in the Bible, is The One for the Pope. The Great I am, and all that ... unlike Yeats, who worshipped the great iamb ... :E

Hydromet
25th Feb 2013, 01:47
...unlike Yeats, who worshipped the great iamb ...
LW, is that the religion where they inscribe a pentameter on the floor?;)

Lee
25th Feb 2013, 04:03
The last Pope (Pope Benidict XVI is the last but one) will be Peter the Roman as predicited by St Malacai

Lon More
25th Feb 2013, 06:28
To quote a friend in the Lodge, "No potpourri"

http://www.atlanticspice.com/store/images/category/potpourri.jpg

Just read Wiki on Malachi. All that malarky; he must have been on the Guinness

dead_pan
25th Feb 2013, 11:32
Not sure if this thread is the right place for this question, but are the senior members of the RC Church errm 'untouchable' here in the UK? With the latest allegations one was wondering when said individual would soon be receiving a visit from the police. I mean they moved pretty fast when the Savile allegations broke interviewing all manner of witnesses and suspects.

ExRAFRadar
25th Feb 2013, 11:46
TONY BLAIR FOR POPE !!!!!!
Just look at his qualifications:

Superb diplomat
Always Honest
Never involved in any shabby cover ups
Surrounded himself with reliable, hard working, honest people
Recent convert to Catholicism, and from what I hear is the best Catholic, ever.

Dg800
25th Feb 2013, 12:03
Those skirts and silly hats are really something. Why do they wear them, and not the sorts of togs that Jesus and the disciples wore? Because that's what people wore in Rome round about the 5th century. Well, minus the gold embroidery and lacing, unless you were a nobleman and could actually afford it. It's not called the Roman Catholic Church for no reason. ;)
Same reason why really devout Mormons still dress like 19th Century North American farmers, actually. :ok:

Alloa Akbar
25th Feb 2013, 12:23
So the Jockanese piece of filth has resigned.. Do I smell another "Quit and run from the spotlight" moment for the RC Church??

How bad is it, that on a day when a Cardinal is accused of sexual abuse, and a football team fans sing a sectarian song.. guess which one provokes most outrage in Scotland?? :ugh:

B Fraser
25th Feb 2013, 12:46
The current Pope seemingly declared that he is quitting "because God told him he has to devote his life to prayer"

Mmmmmmmh, so the big fella in the sky wants more adulation ? I think not. If I was in his sandals, I would be telling the branch manager that lives in the art gallery to stop ducking the issue and go sort his team.

How gullible does he think we are ?

Alloa Akbar
25th Feb 2013, 14:03
the big fella in the sky wants more adulation

Are we talking about Rupert Murdoch now?

cockney steve
25th Feb 2013, 14:33
The resulting high proportion of baby girls aborted means a future overpopulation of unmarried young men. That should be interesting.

@ Matari....I wouldn't worry, rumour has it they'll be a bunch of wankers.

OFSO
25th Feb 2013, 15:03
The archbishop of Philadelphia resigned after a grand jury charged church employees with raping children, and church officials with covering it ...

The resignation of a Los Angeles bishop who fathered two children ... Zavala, 60, who once urged Catholic media to report scandals such as ...

Archbishop of Benin resigns. May 31, 2010 1:46 PM | By Sapa-AFP Pope Benedict XVI accepted the resignation of Irish prelate

May 4, 2012 – Ireland's top Catholic cleric was under growing pressure Friday to quit over renewed claims about his handling of a child abuse scandal.

Feb 3, 2013 – Sex Abuse Scandal - Archbishop sacks Cardinal Mahony, Bishop Curry resigns

6 days ago – The Irish premier will finally issue a state apology to up to 10,000 women who were incarcerated in Catholic-run laundries where they were abused...

14 mins ago – Britain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, is stepping down... Cardinal O'Brien's resignation is also a personal tragedy for himself. ... In resigning his post at the head of the Scottish Catholic Church, over their connection with their handling of the Church's sex abuse scandal.

(The result of five minutes searching on Giggle. No doubt there are more...)

Lonewolf_50
25th Feb 2013, 15:43
LW, is that the religion where they inscribe a pentameter on the floor?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif
Hydromet: you got it in one. :ok:

Lee: I'll argue that no Pope will ever take the name Peter, since the original Peter has sandals/shoes too big to fill by any Pope. I'd guess that were we to arrive at a time that a Pope thought he needed to bring back "Peter" to the papacy, the second coming will be upon us already.

So, don't hold your breath. :cool:

wings folded
25th Feb 2013, 16:54
A senile Chief Executive who finally sees the need to step down from a scandal ridden entreprise with a diminishing market share, Board Members resigning or being forced out because of the scandals.
Complete inability to adapt to current market conditions.
Demoralised middle management.
Total absence of ethic in the firm.
Meteoric rise of competing firms, whose methods are ruthless, capturing market share.
Is it not time that Standard & Poors downgraded this outfit?

B Fraser
25th Feb 2013, 17:29
the second coming will be upon us already

I think they've had a little too much of that elsewhere already. :rolleyes:

Lonewolf_50
25th Feb 2013, 18:02
I think they've had a little too much of that elsewhere already. :rolleyes:
Puts a whole new meaning into fiddling while Rome burns ... :p

racedo
25th Feb 2013, 18:11
Not sure if this thread is the right place for this question, but are the senior members of the RC Church errm 'untouchable' here in the UK? With the latest allegations one was wondering when said individual would soon be receiving a visit from the police. I mean they moved pretty fast when the Savile allegations broke interviewing all manner of witnesses and suspects.

On what basis exactly would police be involved ?

lomapaseo
25th Feb 2013, 18:12
A senile Chief Executive who finally sees the need to step down from a scandal ridden entreprise with a diminishing market share, Board Members resigning or being forced out because of the scandals.
Complete inability to adapt to current market conditions.
Demoralised middle management.
Total absence of ethic in the firm.
Meteoric rise of competing firms, whose methods are ruthless, capturing market share.
Is it not time that Standard & Poors downgraded this outfit?

Expecting a revival, that's the stuff my analyst invests me money in.

racedo
25th Feb 2013, 18:13
6 days ago – The Irish premier will finally issue a state apology to up to 10,000 women who were incarcerated in Catholic-run laundries where they were abused...

Not what the independent report said and it was commented on here.

This was a political apology nothing more because the report didn't show up what they wanted it to show.

racedo
25th Feb 2013, 18:16
How bad is it, that on a day when a Cardinal is accused of sexual abuse, and a football team fans sing a sectarian song.. guess which one provokes most outrage in Scotland??

But the scum singing sectarian songs allowed their ground to be used to fund raise for Loyalist paramilitaries did they not and continually sing sectarian songs such that their manager disowns them.

G-CPTN
25th Feb 2013, 21:42
BBC News - Decoding the Papacy: Benedict XVI's cryptic frustration (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21577917)

Kerosene Kraut
26th Feb 2013, 09:44
Any proof to the story that the pope himself is (or was) a private pilot's licence holder for rotary wing?

"Pope Benedict XVI has a pilot's license for the papal helicopter and likes to fly from the Vatican to the papal summer residence, Castel Gandolfo, but the pope does not have a driver's license as he never learned to drive a car."

Interesting Facts about His Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI :: Catholic News Agency (http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resources/benedict-xvi/did-you-know/interesting-facts-about-his-holy-father-pope-benedict-xvi/)

Lon More
26th Feb 2013, 10:26
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/funnies/OBrien_zps5826fb91.jpg

G-CPTN
26th Feb 2013, 11:13
the pope does not have a driver's license as he never learned to drive a car.Wasn't there a VW Golf that attracted great interest after Ratzinger was elevated to the Popedom?
http://thepopeblog.********.co.uk/2005/04/ratzingers-car-for-sale-on-ebay.html

DX Wombat
26th Feb 2013, 11:38
Cardinal O'Brien's resignation is also a personal tragedy for himself. ... In resigning his post at the head of the Scottish Catholic Church, over their connection with their handling of the Church's sex abuse scandal.
That is incorrect. He is accused of inappropriate behaviour towards other priests over thirty years ago. The sex abuse scandal has not been mentioned in this connection. I suggest that you read this BBC report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21584820)carefully.

fernytickles
26th Feb 2013, 12:25
Phew! I'm so glad they've sorted this out. It must be terribly worrying not to know what to tell people to call you, or how to dress..... :rolleyes:

Pope Benedict will be known as "pope emeritus" and will retain the honorific "His Holiness" after he abdicates on Thursday, Vatican officials say.

He will also continue to be known by his papal title of Benedict XVI, rather than reverting to Josef Ratzinger.

He will wear his distinctive white cassock without any cape or trimmings.

BBC News - Benedict XVI to be known as 'pope emeritus' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21589982)

Lon More
26th Feb 2013, 13:08
He will also continue to be known by his papal title of Benedict XVI
What about his Paypal title?

Lonewolf_50
26th Feb 2013, 14:55
Calling him Old Joe instead of Old Benny wold be more dignified.

Lonewolf_50
26th Feb 2013, 15:01
Group Captain: my deciphering of the article about how tough it is to decipher the cryptic phrases the current Pope drops for public consumption would be, regarding the internal nonsense he's been putting up with at the Vatican, that Benedict XVI is saying:

"Ah'm too old for this shiyit."

(Spelling is intended to reflect Southern rural accent, and results in two syllable word ending in 'yit' ... ) As I seem to recall Benny being from Bavaria, he'd speak with a Southern German accent. :8

Shack37
26th Feb 2013, 15:37
Why not let him just enjoy his retirement like any other pensioner?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/exshack37/PopeinRetirement.jpg

airship
26th Feb 2013, 16:21
Pope Bendict XVI's retirement program (paragraph 6) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21585674): He also enjoys playing the piano and watching old black-and-white comedies - and he loves cats. At least one, Contessina, is known to live at Mater Ecclesiae.

Well that's good enough for me, I reckon. All truly God-fearing folk should eventually be faced with having one or more cats to look after. The ultimate opportunity of seeking humility, faced with almost God-like indifference to all their efforts. :ok:

toffeez
26th Feb 2013, 16:47
Thursday night he'll first get some fags in, then be off downtown for a few pints, followed by a therapeutic massage to sooth his weary soul.

Finishing it all off with a Chinese. Unless she was the one doing the massage.

P.S. BBC says "it's possible he will continue to be cared for by the small group of German nuns who have looked after him during his papacy"

Lon More
26th Feb 2013, 17:25
Benny should get a dog, they're more faithful ...

He'll probably be getting that in his Chinese ....

G-CPTN
26th Feb 2013, 17:26
BBC News - Cardinal Keith O'Brien 'very upset' about his resignation (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21584820)

rgbrock1
26th Feb 2013, 17:44
Lon:

Dog in one's Chinese? How barbaric. We here in the U.S. would never suffer dog meat in our Chinese. Never, ever.

What we DO have in our Chinese is:

http://marketingforhippies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/pigeon.jpg

The Chinese think they're clever by naming the dish 'Beijing Duck'.

We know it better as 'Insert-your-local-city-here Pigeon'

Lonewolf_50
26th Feb 2013, 18:09
4. His ring The papal gold ring, known as the fisherman's ring, will be smashed with a specially designed silver hammer when the Pope leaves office. No change here from normal practice. "Objects strictly tied to the ministry of St Peter must be destroyed," the Vatican says. His personal seal will also be defaced

Maxwell's Silver Hammer?

Could be used to tenderize the "duck" or "dog" in posts Papal repasts. With 600 nuns about, one is bound to know how to cook. :E

Krystal n chips
27th Feb 2013, 03:02
An interesting interview to say the least. Watch the body language carefully at the very end, as the interview finishes....that's if you can survive the ingratiating "PR" first....

Catch up - Channel 4 News (http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/display/playlistref/250213)

Click on the Cardinal resigns item, the interview starts about 3 mins. into the piece.

Alloa Akbar
27th Feb 2013, 09:40
So the final papal address today.. I wonder if he will quit then turn whistleblower?? Now THAT would be worth listening to!