PDA

View Full Version : Which Diversion airports do you like for DXB?

Kapitanleutnant
10th Feb 2013, 17:10
Came into Desdi a week ago and got a 90 minutes hold initially. Luckily, the dispatcher had put on 5.2 tones and the holding times reduced about 3 times so holding was about 30-40 minutes.

I've not yet had to divert but would like to get some feel for which diversions airports are favored. For example, I've heard there's one airport which the crew have to do the refueling.... never done that before.

Anyways, would appreciate some input on this.

Kap

spacecadet
10th Feb 2013, 17:21
Sharjah & Abu Dhabi?

Kapitanleutnant
10th Feb 2013, 17:23
Why those two SpaceCadet?

fatbus
11th Feb 2013, 03:01
AUH has the most floor space but also their own increasing traffic, SHJ is ok but use as a very last resort because it 's so close. RAK is good - ILS, new ramp, ALN is good ,ILS, bigger ramp. If you are new to DXB remember when thing go bad they go very bad and all these airports fill up or go down in fog as well.

galaxy flyer
11th Feb 2013, 03:22
Never fueled your plane? Hmmmmmm.......

GF

flaphandlemover
11th Feb 2013, 10:44
@ GF.

GF, have u ever flown into DXB when the sh... hits the fan?
at one stage you have to divert... no matter how much fuel you have.. the question that was asked was about favorite airports and not how much fuel can you put into your airplane...
:ugh::ugh:
please don't hijack the topic.

I once diverted from SIN - DXB into Damam due to fog.... all other airports FULL!!! NO SPACE!!!

GF.. we filled her up....:ugh:

givemewings
11th Feb 2013, 12:42
The way I read it I thought he meant the crew were actually physically carrying out the fuelling... surely not on a large jet?!

Never ever fuelled A plane? Hardly likely, everyone who flies has done it at some point. Refuelling a 320 or 330 yourself? Didn't think it would be allowed! Flap I don't think he was talking about the amount of fuel either

Unless I completely misunderstood what Kapitan was trying to ask...

Payscale
11th Feb 2013, 13:51
EDDM is my prefered OMDB alternate:)

Plank Cap
11th Feb 2013, 17:17
Nice, very nice.

Recommend early decision though if eastbound.........

Kapitanleutnant
11th Feb 2013, 18:12
I had heard that one of the local airports around DXB... can't recall which, had no personnel at that airport who knew how to refuel a 777 and because of that, had heard that guys were having to refuel the 777 using the manual by themselves. Maybe it was a one-off that particular night.

And yes of course I have refueled aircraft in my life.... first job was a "lineman" at my local airport at the age of 17.

The point of that was regarding the refueling after diversion of the 777. Yes, the crew was actually having to refuel the 777 at the diversion airport near DXB. Just what I've heard...

Kap

givemewings
12th Feb 2013, 05:22
Could be a case of the individual fueller then, I have been on a flight diverted to Al Ain within the last 12 months and don't recall the guys leaving the aircraft, either that or fueller learnt how to fuel bigger jets since you went? :E

Jet II
12th Feb 2013, 06:50
I had heard that one of the local airports around DXB... can't recall which, had no personnel at that airport who knew how to refuel a 777 and because of that, had heard that guys were having to refuel the 777 using the manual by themselves. Maybe it was a one-off that particular night.

I think that happened a couple of weeks ago - DXB sent engineers to SHJ to do the transit and refuel but they were not allowed airside as they didnt have the correct pass.

Old King Coal
12th Feb 2013, 19:02
In flydubai, the pilots are nearly always required to refuel their aircraft / operate the refuelling panel (i.e. especially when they're down-route... and occasionally also in Dubai too) and wherein many of my Captain colleagues seem to be under some delusion that it is they / themselves whom must conduct this task, i.e. as part of the the Pre-Departure Inspection (PDI), though I'd point out the re-fuelling is NOT actually defined as part of the Pre-Departure Inspection (PDI) [wherein, within FZ at least, it's only the Captain's whom are 'trained' (via a 60 minute PowerPoint presentation) :rolleyes: and 'approved' :ugh: to conduct the PDI, i.e. when down-route]. As such, there is NO reason why a F/O either can't or shouldn't do re-fuelling (imho) !

Thus, when F/O's tell me that they have never done refuelling, (after first liaising with CabinCrew) I invite the F/O outside and show them how refuelling is done / use of the fuelling panel (read that as: 'get them to do it for themselves'... wherein it's not like it's difficult); including advice on ramp & refuelling safety; ramp-to-flight-deck communications (i.e. as required during refuelling, e.g. in the case of an emergency); requirements for re-fuelling with pax either de-planing / on-board / boarding; use of ear protection (those a/c packs can be noisy!); how to know if the fuel is contaminated, e.g. with water (and it's AMAZING how many seem to think that jet fuel is coloured blue, or yellow, or some such?!); location & use of the de-fuelling panel; point out the drip-sticks and how they work; what to write on the fuel receipt and how to check that the quantity delivered is correct; and I'll then also get the F/O to fill-in the fuel section of the TechLog (remembering that it's me whom ultimately signs it), etc... and, fwiw, I'd never blame a F/O for not knowing about these things, but I certainly do blame useless wankers whom call & promote themselves as 'instructors' !

Craggenmore
12th Feb 2013, 19:09
whats the PCN rating for the strip next to Barracuda?

You'll need a wee dram if you ever end up there..!

falconeasydriver
13th Feb 2013, 05:21
My preferred OMDB alternate...OMDB, as I'm a committed company man:E
Refuelling a 777 is ostensibly identical to the 767 and 757, the only difference being that the blue lights probably are a bit easier to see on the 777 as most are a bit younger than the 75/76's I used to fly.

Old King Coal
13th Feb 2013, 06:09
Ditto on always 'diverting' to Dubai... if only because that's where my car's parked !