PDA

View Full Version : Medical Leave

erda
10th Feb 2013, 09:53
Appreciate very much if airline pilots here could give some info on what is the requirement to call in sick in their company. I understand some companies allow pilots to call in sick without producing a Medical Certificate or visit a doctor.

I am interested to know what is practised worldwide . My company has strict requirements. We are allowed to call in sick only with an MC from a company clinic.

Thanks in advance

Dave Clarke Fife
10th Feb 2013, 10:44
The rules as they pertain to the UK........

Employees only need a fit note from a doctor after 7 days off work sick and have the right to use their statutory holiday entitlement during their sickness.
Fit notes and proof of sickness
Employees must give their employer a doctor’s ‘fit note’ (formerly ‘sick note’) if they’re off sick for more than 7 days. Hospital doctors or GPs provide them. They can charge a fee if one is asked for before the 7th day.

Employers can also ask employees to fill in a form when they return to work to confirm they’ve been off sick for up to 7 days. This is called ‘self-certification’. Employers usually provide their own version of this form.

wiggy
10th Feb 2013, 10:52
I understand some companies allow pilots to call in sick without producing a Medical Certificate or visit a doctor.

That's the case where I work (UK), in fact the national rules are such that your doctor usually won't expect to be asked issue any paperwork for sickness of 7 days or less. For short illnesses (e.g cold/flu) you just ring in when sick, then ring in again when fit to fly - but you do back it up with a computer generated form on return to work and if you are continually and frequently absent the company will start looking at your record with interest.

Long term injury and/or sickness of more than 7 days may well require a visit to a doctor and may involve extra paperwork.

( Edit to add - must speed up my typing - in other words what Dave said)

Denti
10th Feb 2013, 18:42
Over here in germany the company can ask for a medical certificate, however in our CLA's as with many other companies it only has to be produced after more than 3 days of sickness. Sending it in by mail is sufficient. If one becomes sick during his vacation he can also visit any MD and get the certificate, call in sick to the company and get his vacation days refunded to be taken later during the year. During sick leave one is paid the normal rate of base pay and the average of the last 12 months of any additional pay, up to six weeks by law, in my outfit up to 9 months depending on time with the company.

So for any short-term sickness up to three days just calling in is sufficient.

erda
11th Feb 2013, 09:41
Thanks for the reply.

captjns
11th Feb 2013, 11:48
Your Company's Operations Manual should provide detailed information;

Procedures for notification bo being sick or unfit for flight;
Whether or not Company Doctor needs to evaluate your situation;
Maximum sick days before a fresh physical is required by an AME;

Good luck.