PDA

View Full Version : 2 versions of same browser on same HDD?

Slasher
20th Apr 2002, 08:31
Im just after some advice guys. I use Nutscrape 4.79 and Opera 5.11. But the new PPRuNe software dictates an upgrade of both these browsers. The upgraded version of Opera is 6.1. Im not happy with it for use on most sites but I need it for PPRuNe.

Question: Can I succesfuly operate both Opera 5.11 and the 6.1 version from the same HDD?

Opera 5.11 is in "C\blah\blah\blah\Opera". If I create a new folder and put 6.1 in say "C\blah\blah\blah\Opera61" can anyone see if thered be any operating problems in any way? Of course I realise similtaneous use of these browsers could create crashes.

I prefer to keep the old reliable gasoline-powered 5.11 for most browsing, and utilise this nuclear-fusioned 6.1 exclusivley for PPRuNe only. Thats why Id like both versions of the same browser on the hard-disk.

Any advice welcome before I terrifyingley embark into the unknown void.

thanks,
Slash

What_does_this_button_do?
20th Apr 2002, 08:43
Slash,

I can't see reasons why you cannot. I run three versions of IE OK but don't know about Opera. If it doesn't work you can de-install the verison you don't like and replace it with the version you do.

Any problems let me know.

B

Slasher
20th Apr 2002, 17:51
Thanks Butts. Yeh Im runnin Opera 6.01 for PPRuNe which seems to be working ok. Theres been no conflicts, crashes, registry screw-ups. Just hopin this server-transfer the despots have cooked-up doesnt require yet another bloodey round of re-registation and frigging browser upgrades. Im sick and tired of it.

Slasher
23rd Apr 2002, 05:56
This new PPRuNe server bypasses my AdSub program alowing ads to get in but more importantley that bloodey intrusive Doubleclick is now getting past too.

I think its a combination of Opera 6.01 and the new PPRuNe server, because prior to the server change my trustey AdSub was intercepting Doubleclick no problem.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
23rd Apr 2002, 12:37
Yes, it's perfectly possible to run two versions of Opera in parallel.
I have both 5.12 and 6.01 installed on the machine I'm posting from -- just specify different directories during installation.

Opera 6 is really good when it works, but printing in particular is severely broken .

HTH,