PDA

View Full Version : Missing bag at Heathrow

Prawn2king4
9th Feb 2013, 12:18
Recently returned to UK on a long haul BA flight and (for the first time on my travels) my bag was nowhere to be seen on the carousel. After waiting about 30 minutes, gave my bag check tag to the baggage query desk and they informed me it was on a different carousel. Hightailed it across to the new carousel and on the way there spotted by bag, among others – all with red tags on, on a trolley being wheeled away. Retrieved it and returned to the query desk to ask what happened.

The guy behind the desk told me that it was one of the last to be taken from the aircraft and because the baggage container for the allocated carousel was full, it had been put into another “universal” container which was used for similar occasions with other flight arrivals – all were then just placed on a convenient carousel, and if not collected were red tagged and removed.

So – maybe those who have lost baggage in the past at Heathrow are jumping the gun when they blame the airline. If you have a similar problem, probably a good idea to check with the baggage desk there as soon as you start feeling uneasy rather than wait forlornly at the carousel hoping your bag will appear.

PAXboy
9th Feb 2013, 13:02
Thanks for that, Prawn2king4, there is an ever expanding list of the ways in which BAA help their customers.

If the staff had to wait for the designated carousel to empty a bit, it would take up staff time. Almost like - if the staff then have to inform pax where their bags might be and staff have to remove bags that are now 'missing' and have to be got to their owners, would take up staff time. :hmm:

ExXB
9th Feb 2013, 13:52
And how difficult would it have been for them to have paged you, or put a chalkboard up with your name, or .. or ... or ....

Another reason I don't fly BA. They really don't think that 30 minutes of your time is any of their concern.

PAXboy
9th Feb 2013, 14:04
It's lucky they built T5 with lots of capacity for the future ...:ouch:

Hotel Tango
9th Feb 2013, 14:56
Had similar experience in Brussels coming off an Brussels Airlines flight. No bag on designated carousel. Went to the baggage desk and joined a long line (various flights). After half an hour (still in line) I overheard that some missing bags had begun to appear on a different carousel. Left the missus in the line and went to check. There it was. No attempt by handling agents to inform pax. So not just an LHR and BA thing.

Peter47
9th Feb 2013, 19:10
I flew DTW - BWI - JFK with DL a couple of years ago (much cheaper than a direct flight, capacity management in action). My bag was checked through to JFK. I had a bit of spare time at BWI and the security queue didn't appear too long so I thought that I would explore landside. I saw my bag at the baggage carousel. The baggage agent dealt with it immediately but if I hadn't been curious I suspect that the bag would have been delivered to my hotel - the following day if I was lucky.

Prior to baggage reconciliation it was common for bags to go on an earlier flight if you booked in early and your bag was kept in a corner somewhere - enhanced security has ended this.

BKS Air Transport
9th Feb 2013, 21:38
Reminds me of a trip I made some years ago.

I was flying with a colleague Leeds (BD) Heathrow (BA) Antigua (LI) Montserrat. We had through tickets and the Midland agent at Leeds checked the baggage through to MNI. This caused some consternation at the BA desk at Heathrow where we were told that Antigua "didn't do that" and we'd have to collect our cases when we got there and clear customs with them.

At Antigua, I soon spot my case and collect it, but no sign of my colleague's. After queuing at customs, where they seem determined to look in everybody's case, I spend the next couple of hours sat in the bar waiting for the connection, listening to my colleague berating BA and all the handling staff at Heathrow with increasing ferocity.

On we go to MNI. As the Twin Otter comes to rest outside the terminal, my colleague yelps with delight as he spots his case, already there, on a trolley with some boxes. We never did work that one out.

sherburn2LA
12th Feb 2013, 04:16
anybody who trusts their bags to an airline or airport authority needs their head examining

YorkshireTyke
12th Feb 2013, 07:58
Yes, sherburn2LA, it's my ambition to travel around the World with just my passport, also.

( or do you charter your own bag carrying freighter to follow you ? )

Haven't a clue
12th Feb 2013, 08:56
Used to go RTW quite happily with one item of handbaggage only - pannier over my briefcase. Hotel laundry could be a tad expensive though.

Heathrow Harry
18th Feb 2013, 14:39
Unfortunately, since 911, many security people look very very hard at those who are not encumbered by a ton of baggage

Unless you are a celeb and travelling up front of course...............

Cyber Bob
18th Feb 2013, 14:59
Do whatever I can to turn left with 'Carry-on' only. As for paying top dollar - rather stick pins in my eyes