PDA

View Full Version : Do we recognise promotion in the RAF?

Whenurhappy
8th Feb 2013, 14:54
I've just returned (suitably imbibed) for a re-enlistment and promotion ceremony hosting by American colleagues. I used to be rather sniffy of these corny ceremonies but this one,like others I have attended recently, have changed my mind.

The re-enlistment ceremony was for a USN PO who had agreed to sign on for another 6 years. He swore allegiance to the senior officer present (a US Army Colonel) after some good-natured ribbing and praise to his wife and kids, who have followed him around the world. The second was a pinning-up ceremony for a USAF Major promoted to Lt Col. Again, a nice speech by the Col followed by-a presentation to his wife and kids (the latter beamed as they were promoted with the insignia before their dad) then the pinning up on the Lt Col, again with some really nice words of appreciation. I've also see a few medal ceremonies over the last couple of years - invited by US colleagues - and I have felt humbled to both be invited and to share in what is a big moment for the SP and the family.

In all my years, I have never attended any similar ceremony in the RAF; indeed, the only congrats I received was when I got to Wg Cdr and Stn Cdr Uxbridge (sigh!) sent me a nice note as I was part of his flock in MB. Similarly, apart from being given the latest jubilee medal by a visiting Maj Gen who was asked to bring the medals across, They've either arrived in The post or have been signed for in Gen Office. (Clearly, all round medals, of course!).

Although I'm still serving, I've not been with the mainstream RAF for a few years, but I suspect that little has changed. What do other pruners think? Should we make more of these events, or shall British stoicism reign?

Courtney Mil
8th Feb 2013, 15:05
I see your point. Having served with the USAF many years back, I was always rather taken by their ceremonies. It's as if acheivement really matters and those around you want to celebrate your success.

I couldn't really see us doing it in the RAF, though. I wouldn't have minded a couple of words of encouragement myself. Even a goodbye might have been nice!

Two's in
8th Feb 2013, 15:09
My everlasting memory of the professionalism, respect and dignity with which members of HM Forces are treated is from when I wrote a slightly snotty memo to the (new) Sqn boss asking if I could expect a GW1 gong at anytime, as it was now some 12 months or more since the event. The Sqn clerk wrote back to me asking if "I was sure" I had in fact deployed on Op Granby! The said gong was eventually handed to me by the most junior of junior ranks in the Orderly Room while I was collecting my mail one day. It was a very moving occasion...

Lima Juliet
8th Feb 2013, 15:27
I had to be demoted 1 rank to get my own office, car parking space and command appointment! :eek:

E-Spy
8th Feb 2013, 15:32
GAF has a nice small ceremony for promotions: done in front of the sqn (or whatever assembled unit), the promotee is called up to the front, and the Stn Cdr and OC Flying Group tear off the old rank slides, replacing them with the new ones, accompanied by a fairly hefty pat on the shoulder.

Nothing over the top, but recognition in front of 'die Kamaraden' in any case.

Pontius Navigator
8th Feb 2013, 15:35
WUH, I got a very nice letter from air officer when I was promoted to fg off a year early. I also got an equally good letter from the Staff College when I passed the ISS. I appreciated both letters, I am not sure I would have enjoyed a public award.

It is though an RAF thing as when I was in Ascension, SNOW, Senior Naval Officer Wideawake, had a change of command ceremony. The Naval personnel were paraded outside operations, the outgoing SNOW said a few words, the new SNOW then read out his orders, the men could see who was now in charge and the whole thing certainly seemed far more traditional than a few CoC lines in SROs and possibly a small thank you in SROs by the outgoing staish. It was all the more touching as the parade consisted of 3 PO and 2 2.5s.

Pontius Navigator
8th Feb 2013, 15:39
E-Spy, you remind me, when the UK-NAEW Component was stood up with IOC a GAF One Star flew in and at a small ceremony presented the Force Command flag. Although I was only on the periphery of the Component all the aircrew on 8 managed to be elsewhere and it fell to me to accept the standard.

langleybaston
8th Feb 2013, 16:11
As for the Met. Office!

"I suppose I should congratulate you on your good fortune!"

I think he'd spent all night working that up to a suitably snide level.

And when I retired after 41 years and five promotions, a ****ty standard letter and an invitation to provide feedback on the organisation.

I had, I thought, been providing [mostly negative] feedback for 41 years!

Never mind, the lump sum and the monthly dole meant and means a lot more than ceremonies and praise.

Best leave things as they are, gives us all something to whinge about.

Courtney Mil
8th Feb 2013, 16:51
"Weren't you promoted a couple of years back?"

"Oh, yeah. Another beer?"

"Thanks, I'll have a Black Sheep. So what happened?"

"I got demoted."

"Blimey. You must have been really bad at your job."

"Oh, no, no, no...

I had to be demoted 1 rank to get my own office, car parking space and command appointment!

"Right! Thanks for the beer."

:E

MSOCS
8th Feb 2013, 16:57
Recognition of one of your own achieving promotion should always be worth an occasion to remember. If you can't get that right you shouldn't be in Command yourself.

I'd very much like to see promotion occasions shared with one's family - after all, they also go through the 'Mill' with their military spouse and deserve recognition themselves for their sacrifices and support.

BEagle
8th Feb 2013, 17:01
"Dear BEagle. Herewith your Kuwait Liberation Medal of the third degree, granted by the Amir of Kuwait. Please note that you may not wear it".

"Dear BEagle. Herewith your Kuwait Liberation Medal awarded by His Majesty Fahad Bun Abdul Aziz Al Saud, King of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Please note that you may not wear it".

Thanks a bunch, Binnsworth....:mad:

Courtney Mil
8th Feb 2013, 17:11
Indeed, BEags. I have a couple that I may not wear:=. But much better than those was the very nice watches from the Crown Prince of Kuwait and the Sultan on Oman, both of which I can wear.

Tashengurt
8th Feb 2013, 17:38
Indeed, BEags. I have a couple that I may not wear . But much better than those was the very nice watches from the Crown Prince of Kuwait and the Sultan on Oman, both of which I can wear.

Are those the ones that caused an upset when they were dished out to people who hadn't been on the squadron during Granby?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Courtney Mil
8th Feb 2013, 18:00
The watches or the gongs? I wasn't (unfortnately) involved in either Gulf War. The watches I truly earned. No, I have no Granby momentos.

Tashengurt
8th Feb 2013, 18:08
The watches. I may have my wires crossed here as I'd left 43 by then but I thought many were given when the squadron visited Kuwait on the anniversary and those left behind who had been there for the war were miffed by this?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

ShyTorque
8th Feb 2013, 18:38
The best congratulatory chat (and probably the only one), I received was from a certain AVM (D.L.) after passing the RAF CFS (plank wing) QFI course and being presented with my certificate.

He noted that I had already passed the CFS(H) course some years before, and that I was an A2 QHI.

"Well ShyT, you'll be able to get yourself a nice job in civvie street, on the strength of those qualifications......!"

He was in the process of leaving the service himself - his office was already cleared! :ok:

WPH
8th Feb 2013, 18:45
Having served with the USAF for 3 years I found the constant awards/ pinning on ceremonies/ re-enlistments etc well over the top.... well at least initially! They actually grew on me over time and I do think we might actually be missing something. The most prominent example were the official retirement ceremonies which really put us to shame and I think we should do more at all levels to thank our people for the service to their country. I've seen many SNCOs and Officers leave the Service, some with as many as 35 years plus, just to receive a small gift and a quiet send off from immediate colleagues at a local pub.

In my opinion, adopting just some of these ceremonies and the use of more awards would help increase morale and esprit-De-corps, especially in the current climate.

Where I was based the Stn Cdr would send out a weekly email to everybody with some of the stuff he'd been up to that week and some of the "accomplishments" he'd seen on the base. I actually grew to like his light-hearted informal updates and found them much more personal than the annual formal stuffy disingenuous 'Christmas Messages' we tend to get!

Ken Scott
8th Feb 2013, 19:12
Promotion in the RAF from Flt Lt to Sqn Ldr seems to come with 'congratulations, now enjoy your out of area tour!'

octavian
8th Feb 2013, 19:38
The pride that that the citizens of the United States have in their armed forces puts us to shame. I was sat in Seaworld Orlando with Mrs O and our son about 18 months ago when the announcer asked all members of their armed forces and its allied forces, currently serving and retired, to stand and be appreciated. I didn't, British reserve and all that, but wow what a buzz went round the amphitheatre when those heroes did stand. The applause and recognition was awesome.

Having spent so many years skulking around in civvies to placate our pathetic politicians and their fears about offending various proscribed organisations it is about time we showed pride in the commitment of our servicemen and women.

Oh and before you ask, after 19 years of service I handed in my 1250 and walked out the gate without a backward glance. No regrets, but no warm feeling. Until Seaworld 2011.

SASless
8th Feb 2013, 19:44
When I was promoted to the lofty rank of Chief Warrant Officer-Two in the US Army....a formal ceremony was held in our Officers Mess Bar. That is the preferred venue for Warrant Officer Helicopter Pilot formal functions. The shiny new Bar was placed at the bottom of a steel Mess Water Pitcher, submerged in one shot of everything behind the Bar (pays to keep a very sharp eye on the guys filling the pitcher mind you). The Rule extant was...until that Pitcher got emptied you did not pin on the new Rank. It was two days before I could see and think well enough to be able to realize I was wearing it....as it was a very large Pitcher.

Fancy it wasn't....but being surrounded by your fellows...mine was in a combat unit in a combat area....made it very special. Being a Spectator at one did have its advantages.

Melchett01
8th Feb 2013, 20:21
Having done a few of the American promotion ceremonies, they have grown on me over the years as I see just how indifferent we are in recognising individual's success. Consequently, at my current unit, I rather like the way for each and every promotion board, regardless of service or rank, the CO gets the HQ staff plus the promoted individual, their other half and their boss up to the HQ and we toast their success with a glass of port or champagne and a few words of congratulations. It's the first time I have seen it done in the UK military, but it is definitely the right thing to do.

In direct contrast, and as an example of how bad we are as an institution at recognising success through promotion:

Plt Off - Fg Off: I was entitled to accelerated promotion owing to joining up with a postgrad MSc. Manning & Cranwell both knew about it, but I only got the extra seniority having been made to apply for it and wait for a letter to land in the Flt pidgeon hole half way through IOT.

Fg Off - Flt Lt: Informed I had been promoted early after several months of uncertainty over admin issues. Only found out when I rank Handbrake House on a separate issue only to be asked by the SAC on the end of the phone "did you say Fg Off sir? So nobody has told you you promoted early 4 days ago?"

Flt Lt - Sqn Ldr: board sits, results sent out to the lucky few. I heard nothing all day the day the results were announced despite having been told substantiation in rank was a cert. Had to email the Deskie to confirm that I had actually substantiated only to get a quick phone call at close to 1800 saying oh sorry has nobody told you?

Sob stories aside - the increased tax on promotion meant I could only afford smoked salmon three times as week - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced the abortion that is the RAF and promotions. All I can say is thank God we no longer do the whole investors in people thing; most organisations try not to publicize their lies so openly as putting a plaque up on the wall!

Pontius Navigator
8th Feb 2013, 20:59
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced the abortion that is the RAF and promotions.

The sad thing Melchett is that you are talking about YOU. Not you personally but YOU the RAF. You (and me when I was in) are what create the abortion of which we complain.

Some COs have the touch, many don't. I think one reason for the poor recognition is simply overstretch. People just don't have the capacity and time for empathy. Now, when someone does show some glimmer of humanity you doubt their sincerity.

That said, there are also many outstanding senior officers but there are also others.

smujsmith
8th Feb 2013, 21:03
I remember returning from GW1 about three months after the rest of the Herkdet ' officially ' were welcomed home. This due to the fact that 3 aircraft and crews were sent off to Bahrain to maintain the round robin re supply. I'm sure there were still army, navy and fast jet people in theatre. Having returned at around 2200Z on the Tuesday I was telephoned at home ( on the patch) at 0830 on the next day by a WRAF Flight Lt from SHQ. Who said that if I didn't come and sign for these medals, they would be returned. I went in and duly signed for the two foreign Medals and the GW1 GSM jobby. I was duly lectured about what I could and could not wear. To be honest I got the impression that the young lady was annoyed that her draw space was being wasted by trash. After that I can say I lost respect for any and all medals, and also for any administrators who try to suggest that they even understand what their colleagues get such 'trinkets' for. I hope that my son will at least understand that I earned the blobs of metal I will leave him.

Smudge

Union Jack
8th Feb 2013, 21:04
Should we make more of these events, or shall British stoicism reign?

Not promotion and not the Royal Air Force, but Whenurhappy's question above reminds of being present when the first submarine badges, or dolphins were being awarded to the crew of an SSBN by the local Flag Officer. As he pinned the badge on the breast of the Chief of the Boat, the latter visibly winced, only to be told sharply by the Admiral, "Keep still man - I'm sure my submariner father didn't wince when he was being awarded the VC by King George V", to which the Chief of the Boat replied, "Well, Sir, I don't suppose the King pinned the VC through your father's left nipple.":eek:

Jack

Jimlad1
8th Feb 2013, 23:23
As a manager of both civilian and military personnel, I have a simple rule that as people leave each day, I try to make a point of saying 'thank you for your help today' and ensuring that any positive comments by seniors about their work are passed directly to them.
similarly, I ensure that I take every chance to praise and name check my team for their efforts with seniors, not to brown nose, but to ensure they know who put the effort in at the last minute to dig them out of a hole.
My other cardinal rule is to refuse to say something about a member of my team to another that I would not say to their face.

I only wish my peers (civilian and military) behaved in a similar way, and I can but hope that when appropriate my own seniors would do the same for me.

Fire 'n' Forget
9th Feb 2013, 00:19
TBH in the RAF the only true promotion for our cadre is Flt Lt to Sqn Ldr. It is not competitive promotion before that so does not really factor. After Sqn Ldr it is simply who can kiss it more, and for each rank after it is who can forget where they originated from first and can try to re-invent the wheel !

In our air force these promotion's would not be recognised or attended because most could identify immediately the majority are service writing knob's rather than the 'good stick' that isn't a mess sec !

Robert Cooper
9th Feb 2013, 04:23
I dunno what its like today, but when I was a squadron and unit commander I had a pin-on ceremony for every one of my personnel awarded a medal, with photographer present. Awards are an event worthy of recognition.

Bob C

Corrona
9th Feb 2013, 04:47
Maybe we don't celebrate the promotion of others in the RAF because the only promotion we're interested is our own. That may be a difficult thing to contemplate, however with the odd exception, I have seen plenty of evidence to suggest that it may well be the case.

airborne_artist
9th Feb 2013, 05:21
As a Pusser's brat I well remember the half-yearly promotions signal, and the importance of being near the telephone that morning. Pere Artist was a Signals Officer so normally managed to get a copy dropped off from HMS Mercury which was a couple of miles away.

The form was that those on the list (for Commander/Captain as this was in the days of automatic promotion to 2.5) hosted a party that would start at 12.01 and finish much later.

Unofficial perhaps, but certainly memorable ;)

The Old Fat One
9th Feb 2013, 06:03
Uncle Sam is a bit better a some of this stuff than we are, but there are more than few downsides over the water as well, so don't just cherry pick it. None to keen on the "show up ten minutes before your boss, leave ten minutes after" mentality...and as for being a dry old do on dets...:=

As for departing plaudits....I got all the recognition I needed in my bank account the next day!

Whenurhappy
9th Feb 2013, 06:47
Perhaps I'm happy to cherry-picked what the Americans seem to do as a matter of course, but what impressed me about this otherwise informal ceremony was the deliberate inclusion of family - stressing (as they do in the US Army) that it's the family that is serving, and in these days of high op tempo, that has never been truer. Some of you here might remember the promotion of a USAF Lt Col in MB a few years ago - in Mem Court. His daughter sang both National Anthems and the service was attended by ACAS. I Doubt there was a dry eye about!

Perhaps that might have been regarded as a bit OTT, but I wish I was back in a Command Appointment and I would institute regular, family recognition.

BEagle
9th Feb 2013, 06:58
....I would institute regular, family recognition.

And how do you think those without any 'family' would feel about that?

Rigga
9th Feb 2013, 07:21
Only three times in 24 years did I see some actual occasion being made for the announcement of promotion:
Falklands - at a beercall
Germany - at a beercall
Odiham - at a tea break

But the best occasion was a couple of months ago when, in a not so small office with two other people, all that was said was:

"The Job's yours if you want it?"

Genstabler
9th Feb 2013, 07:26
It aint just you crabs. I discovered that I had been promoted to Major when I read the Daily Telegraph I bought in the NAAFI at Hohne.

Pontius Navigator
9th Feb 2013, 08:17
As a Pusser's brat I well remember the half-yearly promotions signal, and the importance of being near the telephone that morning.

I think A_A may have a clue here. The blue letter replaced the old system so there was no element of surprise as in days gone by.

I recall a New Year's Eve ball at Cottesmore - we used to return to work after Boxing Day - at midnight the band was quietened, the dancers stopped, and the statish produced the SIGNAL.

Promotions, honours and awards were all read out in front of both recipients and wives. One engineering officer, single, had retired early. He was ordered to return and he did, still sleepy, wearing his issue pyjamas and woolly dressing gown and slippers - panache if not style. He was then told of his promotion to sqn ldr and his posting too. In those days postings followed promotion with neither choice nor notice.

There was also perhaps discontinuity between the issue of medals post-WW2 and their effective resumption 30 or so years later.

themightyimp
9th Feb 2013, 08:17
As for me it was a week before anyone noticed I had been promoted to Cpl - they only did when someone pointed out that I was wearing the wrong colour dustcoat in the bay (Jnr Tech and below wore brown, Cpl and above wore white). No one handed me my Flt Lt tapes on promotion and no one noticed when I wore SO2 tapes either (although one kind sqn ldr did point out that I wasn't calling him Sir any more :}). No one noticed when I had turned down assimilation and sign on to 55. Maybe it was just me? I made a point of ensuring that if promotion ever happened to any one whom I was responsible for then they would be appropriately recognized.

I had the pleasure of presenting promotions to two Jnr Techs. Both times they were marched in by the WO and a charge sheet read out - neither picked up that they were called Cpl instead of Jnr Tech. Then a heart felt well done by both myself and the WO and into the tea bar for a round of applause by the Flt/Sqn. In another situation one of my guys was in the FI when I found out he was being promoted to Sgt. Went to the effort of a similar 'well done' to find out that the deskie had already told him. Bumped into the deskie in the bar and asked about it - apparently they had (still the case?) tell the individual first so he already knew!!

We can moan when there isn't a system to do this or we can get on and do it ourselves. Call it leadership / man management - or as I did - just plain politeness and gratitude towards the individuals. :ok:

P6 Driver
9th Feb 2013, 09:25
The most valued promotion I look back on was when an officer I had respect for caught up with me outside a hangar one morning and informed me that I was improperly dressed from that point onwards, shook my hand and sent me on my way to stores for the insignia. Low key, but well done and meaningful.

Courtney Mil
9th Feb 2013, 10:18
Fg Off Courtney Mil was bollocked in the "Officers' Wardroom" onboard the TEV Rangatira in Stanley Harbour for being improperly dressed and ordered to buy a round for all those there present. Flt Lt Courtney Mil then had to borrow appropriate insignia from a phellow phlyer. Very fitting really.:cool:

Pontius Navigator
9th Feb 2013, 10:21
Compare and contrast:

After 4 years in one post, come the Friday, I thought I should say good bye to the boss. He looked up from his computer "Oh, you're off then, good bye."

With

Al Bowman, CBFASI, who had a dining out night brought forward, the shift patterns changed, and insisted I attend. After 6 months and numerous dining in nights my tropical mess kit was looking distinctly shabby but a great night and you felt valued.

Or in more recent memory, the staish at Coningsby had very regular presentations in the BB suite for medals and awards with everyone invited.

Yellow Sun
9th Feb 2013, 10:27
at midnight the band was quietened, the dancers stopped, and the statish produced the SIGNAL.

I recall one station commander who did this and then announced:

" I have received the half-yearly promotions signal and it would appear that tonight we are celebrating the feast of the passover! Let's get on and drown our sorrows."

YS

Melchett01
9th Feb 2013, 11:29
PN,

You are quite right, the system is what people make it. But if you want to go down that line of argument, then the logical conclusion is that the past decade or so - you might have a more informed take on the period before that - would seem to have brought in individuals more interested in their own futures rather than those they have been privileged to command. I already know the answer to that one!

I don't buy the overstretch argument. I'm not advocating huge ceremonies and parades, but it doesn't take a lot of time or effort to get people together and publically acknowledge a colleague's success. I did one on behalf of the CO just last Thursday and I think the guy was quite surprised and quietly appreciative that we took the time to honour his achievements. If COs really are too stretched to take 20 mins to congratulate their colleagues on promotion, then maybe they lack capacity and people skills to be a CO?

Union Jack
9th Feb 2013, 11:35
As a Pusser's brat I well remember the half-yearly promotions signal, and the importance of being near the telephone that morning.- A_A

The signal to which A_A refers used to come out at 1000 in the UK, which translated very nicely in the Far Flung to the bar opening in the evening, and I remember hearing the Gunnery Officer in one carrier coming into the wardroom anteroom and saying, "If X (the CO of 8** Squadron) gets promoted in this list, I'll eat my bloody hat". Five minutes later Guns was to be found on the fringes of X's party, chewing rather ineffectually on his Panama hat ..... :E

Fg Off Courtney Mil was bollocked in the "Officers' Wardroom" onboard the TEV Rangatira in Stanley Harbour for being improperly dressed and ordered to buy a round for all those there present - Courtney Mil

At least the light blue do not run the risk the dark blue do of having to buy a round if spotted being improperly dressed with their shoulder straps "going astern", namely with the 'bow wave' of the curl facing aft, when it should face forward, just as on the sleeve of uniform jackets.

Nowadays of course, you can wind up your dark blue friends by checking whether, when wearing a chest badge of rank, they are correctly wearing the right hand slide - given that if they are in an area where it's necessary to wear a chest badge then it should be the last thing anyone should be worrying about! Stay safe ....:ok:

Jack

downsizer
9th Feb 2013, 11:44
In answer to the original question, I think not. The binning of promotion letters to save money sums the whole attitude up I think....

Courtney Mil
9th Feb 2013, 11:50
Just go with SMS then. Text is so personal. :suspect:

dash2
9th Feb 2013, 12:09
It's definitely a failing of the RAF not to do this better. On my sqn in Canada every chap is promoted by the CO in front of the rest of the sqn. This goes down very well and is really appreciated. We also hold 'depart with dignity' ceremonies when experienced guys leave the RCAF, these are formal occasions where the leaving member is congratulated in front of their peers and have a nice couple of hours (if they want it) during their last day in uniform.

I know that this doesn't seem very British but having seen it done a few times I wonder if we don't have something to learn.

Pontius Navigator
9th Feb 2013, 16:23
Melchett agree, it is however personality driven. How many superb wg cdrs have we met who are great blokes but who subsequently discover are happy with their lot, see the tree has no more branches, or are destined for a new career in civil aviation?

One nav wg cdr, disliked by some, came to my office to do my 1369 debrief rather than call me to his as he knew I was busy! I had a lot of time for him, the sort you wanted to work for not the sort that wanted you to work for him.

Hangarshuffle
9th Feb 2013, 17:08
The Americans seem to be much better at promotion ceremonies,and leaving the service type ceremonies. I can remember being stiffed by my bosses for promos and medals ceremonies far, far more times than getting say, a pat on the back.
It's a shame really, I think recognition goes a long way.Especially if you are far down the food chain, which I was for the great majority of my career in the RN.
One chap on here says he got his medals from a rather indifferent clerk, and that sounds very familiar.
I had seven medals in all (I think I am still owed one but I cant even be bothered to pursue it anymore - thats in a drawer somewhere, no doubt) and only ever received one properly.
That one medal I received properly in a way one would expect was from the CO of 800 NAS. The whole squadron was fell in properly in the South Dispersal Hangar, in our Number 1's, we were all marched up, one at a time and given the gong, plus a handshake and photo with the CO. Then fell out, downtown VL for beer. Simple but effective.
Thats the way to do it. The only time mind.
People remember things like that.It should be standard for op medals, but sadly isnt.

Climebear
10th Feb 2013, 07:13
At least the light blue do not run the risk the dark blue do of having to buy a round if spotted being improperly dressed with their shoulder straps "going astern", namely with the 'bow wave' of the curl facing aft, when it should face forward, just as on the sleeve of uniform.

We do if we're:

Non-commissioned aircrew,

Officers in No6A SD, No8 SD, or Red Sea Rig,

or

Air Officers in No1A SD

thing
10th Feb 2013, 11:44
I was surprised when I was awarded my 15 yrs undetected crime medal in that my section actually put on a sherry reception for me and the wife and I was awarded the medal by my boss, best blues and all that. It was very touching actually, mind you my boss at the time was probably the best officer I ever worked for. Needless to say, he didn't go far.

On my return from det in Belize I had the usual 7 days off and at about day four there was a knock at the door. It was my Sengo's wife come to tell my wife that I would be home next week.....I rang Sengo to ask if that meant I was having another two weeks off then...

On leaving the mob after 22 years my boss at the time, another decent stick, told me that I would be having a leaving interview with OC Eng as he was interested in 'no holds barred' discussions with NCO engs leaving the service.
'Nah he'll not bother' I said. He didn't.

I often wondered what it would be like wandering around with the blue card on my last day. Truth is I felt nothing at all. I finished up with my clerk at Gen Office, handed in my blue card, said 'Is that it then?', he said 'Yep' and carried on doing whatever he was doing. Drove out the gate and carried on with the rest of my life.

I too have had the Seaworld experience and my wife had to nudge me to stand up after whispering 'You're an ally'.The American guy next to me shook my hand and told me he was proud to meet me. I told him it was the most recognition I'd ever had. I didn't feel bitter about it, I suppose being British we just don't expect anyone to appreciate what we did.

Haraka
10th Feb 2013, 15:28
Amusingly, whilst being put forward by the Service to go on secondment internationally and following the failure of my putative "Boss "on his interview, I was then asked to go for his post by the R.A.F. ,which I got following my, more succcesful, interview.
I then found myself arbitrarily promoted (acting, unpaid) one, and then , following objections by the French, two ranks up ( Wg Cdr) by the R.A.F. . then down again one rank, after the French threw in the towel . This position I filled for the U.K., getting Spec. Rec. 1369's.
Following this and after three years (one tour) in post, I was subsequently put forward by the U.K. for further consideration.
This was fully supported by U.K. MoD.for "us" to take up a far more senior operational post on our behalf and I was encouraged to " Go for It". This post I duly acquired in the interest of my country.
Consequently I was promoted yet again within the organisation, following competitive assesment internationally.

This having being achieved, I then found myself in receipt of a telephone call from Innsworth informing me of my option of returning to RAF service in my original rank in short order , or of PVR'ing.
What would you have done?

4mastacker
10th Feb 2013, 16:15
If I may add my most savoured memories of one particular promotion. I was a young(ish) SAC serving on a small radar station in darkest Suffolk. It was the Stn Cdr's "habit" of occasionally visiting the Naafi on a Thursday night to have a couple of drinks with the junior ranks. One Thursday, he arrives as usual, greets everyone there and then announces "I think Cpl 4mastacker should be bought a few drinks". The following morning and still feeling a bit shabby from the night before, OC Blankets called me into his office and said "You got the news then?". That was, by far, a much better way of being notified of a promotion than receiving the Blue Letter through the post; a method used for my next promotion.

recce_FAC
10th Feb 2013, 16:35
I think the RAF are masters of self promotion, so no requirement for anyone else to it for them.

Courtney Mil
10th Feb 2013, 16:50
As long as that's only what you THINK, that's fine.

Haraka
10th Feb 2013, 17:19
Having done Promex "C", in the old days the next hurdle was "iss" ( potential promotion to Wg. Cdr.)
I leapt into mine with alacrity, thinking that potential Wing Commanders should be able to research, evaluate and present information in a readable and understandable format.
So I went out and got additional information to the first questions asked on ISS , added comment and proudly submitted.
To then promptly find my efforts metaphorically torn up for a*rse paper and returned as such.
All that was actually needed was to be able to cut and edit the texts supplied.
No intellectual input required:

or appreciated.

Courtney Mil
10th Feb 2013, 17:34
No intellectual input required

Just as well in my case!

langleybaston
10th Feb 2013, 18:13
When at Finningley as an instructor I shared an office with two Nav. instructors, one of whom went far. They were discussing a newly-promoted SLdr. "I didn't know he'd done the Initiative Suppression Course!"

So I introduced the phrase for internal Met Office use.

thing
10th Feb 2013, 18:28
Officer's promotion form the OR's point of view usually came up with the old chesnut

'Yes, he got his Wing Commander after his medical'

'What medical was that Chief?'

'They found a particle of brain lodged in his skull but he's had it removed now.'

Yellow Sun
10th Feb 2013, 18:43
I was informed that at one time naval officers were permitted to petition the Lords of The Admiralty on their own behalf. The story goes that one officer took advantage of this procedure in the following manner:

"You Lordships,

On each promotion list there is one officer of whom all who know him remark " How on earth was he selected?". Your Lordships, I feel that I am well qualified to be that officer on the forthcoming list.

Your obedient servant......"

Apocryphal, but I like it.

YS:)

fabs
10th Feb 2013, 19:56
My promotion to Cpl was announced in the Rugby Club and I was handed my blue letter by my Wg Cdr (cost me a round too). Few years later on IOT I was summoned to the Flt Cdr's office, he threw a blue letter at me and muttered 'you'll be ok when you inevitably f**k up here OC Fabs, and no pay rise until you either fail or graduate'.
Not sure if I liked that style or not; got very drunk that night though!

reynoldsno1
10th Feb 2013, 20:12
Promoted to Flt Lt in the sand outside the Officers' Mess at Masirah, when I was informed I was improperly dressed - bought a bottle of "Gizzit" gin, followed later by a bottle of "Posbee" whisky. Crept out of the back door when I 'retired', and never did get the quaiche they earnestly promised me... I'll get over it, eventually ....:rolleyes:
Daughter had 3 years in a US school, and was very glad to recount the stories of her grandad, great uncle and Dad on Veteran's Day ...:)

Pontius Navigator
10th Feb 2013, 20:57
Officers' Mess at Masirah . . . Crept out of the back door when I 'retired'

Would that have been the TV Room?

We knew the date we were due to be promoted to flt lt but no blue letter or anything like that. It was a question of scouring the London Gazette looking for the confirmation. Only after it was in the Gazette did we bring out the ribboned No 2 jacket. Never any notice from handbrake house. Next of course was scrutinising one's pay chit but you couldn't fault Lloyds, always on time and always accurate.

Whenurhappy
11th Feb 2013, 08:33
A lot of interesting comments and reminiscences - I would add that in my time in the RNZAF, Happy Hour in the Officers' Mess was often used by the PMC to announce - informally - promotions and postings, as well as hatches, matches and dispatches, to the rest of the officers (with copncomittant rounds of free drinks). But that was in the days when officers were expected to attend happy hour...

Union Jack
11th Feb 2013, 09:23
.... with copncomittant rounds of free drinks ....

Whenurhappy - Looks like you've had some accompanying drinks already ....:)

Jack

langleybaston
11th Feb 2013, 16:33
that would be slimaltanious then?

Or is that just with Cab Sauv?

Jumping_Jack
12th Feb 2013, 10:04
On my last promotion I had no idea when it was actually to be put up, I found out the correct date on receipt of my pay sheet some 3 weeks later. :hmm:

Canadian WokkaDoctor
12th Feb 2013, 13:50
This is a culture issue within the RAF and is not limited to promotion ceremonies or re-enlistments. In the RCAF the Depart with Dignity events that mark a retirement are are real opportunity for the Canadian Forces to show appreciation to the member's family and the retiring member themselves. The contrast to the 'certificate of service' and the veterans’ badge that you get in the mail from the UKAF is, quite frankly, sickening. As I said, this is an organisational culture issue, and I don't see it changing in the RAF.
CWD

BEagle
12th Feb 2013, 16:47
CWD, yes indeed. The RCAF still does such things properly and with dignity, not sycophancy!

I did at least get my blue letter in person from the Stn Cdr, who was genuine with his congratulations.

But that 'letter' one gets on leaving has probably been written by someone joe'd for the purpose.......

As for leaving dos, a colleague and I were sent bills for attending our dining-out night when leaving the service after about 75 years of service between us. Whereas once such things were free, if I recall correctly?

ShyTorque
12th Feb 2013, 16:57
Veteran's pass and retirement with dignity? Never received mine, or any formal acknowledgement of two decades of service from my final station.

When I announced my decision to leave at my 38 point, my Stn Cdr actively tried to delay my departure in time to take up a civilian job offer, although I was perfectly entitled to go (and finally did, by the skin of my teeth, despite his spiteful interference).

My last few weeks were not happy times; I instantly felt I had become persona non grata on the station.

I was very, very glad to see the final view of that particular station, SHQ in particular, in my rear view mirror. :mad:

Haraka
13th Feb 2013, 04:42
I was shown the proforma that had been sent for his filling out the blanks in my valedictory letter by my French Air Force boss: before his binning it after seeing the look on my face.
Nothing ever heard since on that front..

Pontius Navigator
13th Feb 2013, 07:17
But that 'letter' one gets on leaving has probably been written by someone joe'd for the purpose.......

Yes, me. Boss called me in, said he was drafting it and wanted some note. The letter, signed by the AOC was really heartfelt and sincere. Yeah right!

As for leaving dos, a colleague and I were sent bills for attending our dining-out night when leaving the service after about 75 years of service between us. Whereas once such things were free, if I recall correctly? Yes mine was free.

I got Joe'd for a leaving letter. FS, off sick when I took over the unit on retirement of predecessor. FS then medically discharged. Handbrake house sent me the paperwork for the blue letter. I returned and said you know more about him than I do, you have his file, you write it. They did.

BEagle
13th Feb 2013, 07:35
I was joe'd to write a valedictory letter for a colleague, who was also a personal friend. So my plan was, strictly with his agreement, to include some totally bogus reference to a non-existent secondary duty.....:E

Unfortunately, said chum was busy with his √irgin Atlantic conversion training at the time and I couldn't get hold of him to hatch my plan before the boss's deadline for the draft....:(

Ever since the advent of the Wg Cdr (Typist) Branch, who sit in their offices clattering away on keyboards rather than getting to know their squadron members, it is highly probable that a well-crafted spoof 'valedictory' draft would fail to attract the boss's attention....:hmm:

Union Jack
13th Feb 2013, 09:12
.... it is highly probable that a well-crafted spoof 'valedictory' draft would fail to attract the boss's attention....

.... which reminds me how Squadron Staff Officers used to have fun inveigling the Boss into signing Service letters ending, "This officer does not read what he signs.":O

Jack

Samuel
13th Feb 2013, 12:16
Reading these pages reminds me of just how many forms of 'modus operandi' the RNZAF inherited from the RAF, and not just the annual Officers vs SNCOs cricket match where the latter once again would field too many players and inflate the run tally.

I was notified of my promotion to Sqn Ldr by signal when I could see the guy who issued it from my desk! My departure letter from the CAS, after 26 years service, contained a number of errors, and after initially thinking " who cares" I decided I did and returned it with a request that these be corrected! They got it right the second time!

Pontius Navigator
13th Feb 2013, 12:40
.. which reminds me how Squadron Staff Officers used to have fun inveigling the Boss into signing Service letters ending, "This officer does not read what he signs."

Our immediate SO2 at Strike had the usual blurb on the bottom of all his emails: If you are not the intended recipient . . . . the views expressed
are . . . and are not necessarily etc etc.

I took his verbiage and added it to my emails with the addition ". . . you may therefore ignore this message."

No one ever questioned this nonsense except for my daughter who spotted it :)

reynoldsno1
15th Feb 2013, 00:01
the RNZAF inherited from the RAF

When I left the RNZAF I was presented with a nicely bound passport sized "Record of Service" beautifully typed with some very nice comments from my former boss.

I did have occasion to have to write to the RAF once for my record of service. It turned up as a photocopy of a dot matrix printout on old dot matrix printout paper. Service recorded as "Satisfactory"...

Failed_Scopie
15th Feb 2013, 08:54
Recognition is something that we do very poorly indeed, beyond the usual round of MBEs etc., most of which go to Commissioned Officers (I'm not sure that this was John Major's intention when he suspended the BEM). I had to speak to my SO1 last year about fellow SO2 who was leaving the Colours for the last time just prior to his 60th Birthday and who had completed 45 years service man and boy in the Royal Corps of Signals (Harrogate Apprentice, then Crypto Tech, served on Op Corporate and survived the attack on the Galahad, retired as a WO2 (RQMS), commissioned in to the TA, QM, OC Sqn, SO2). It took the Full Col Dep Comd to go into the Brigadier's office and 'invite' the Bde Comd to present said SO2 with his Bar to his VRSM (as well as present another SO1 with 39 years service with a VRSM and Bar and an SO3 with her VRSM). As I said to my SO1 at the time, it is the only bit of regonition that you get. So, as you can see, it's not just the Air Force that get it wrong...

octavian
15th Feb 2013, 09:56
I don't think the casual approach to end of service in the UK armed forces is anything new.

My paternal grandfather enlisted in one of the London (infantry) Regiments on 28 October 1913. Whilst I haven't researched his service, I do recall him talking to me, as a child of perhaps 12 or so, about some of his experiences in the trenches during the First World War, whilst my father sat beside us in some disbelief having never heard any of it from his father.

Grandad (obviously) survived that conflict and was, in the immortal terms of his Army Form Z.21., which I have before me, "Disembodied" on 6 February 1919. I am also looking at his three war medals which came to me following his death in 1973.

I dare say that he was simply given the bit of paper and shown the door. Like most, if not all, of his, and subsequent, generations he just went off and got on with the rest of his life.

I think we could do it so much better, and perhaps a bit of fuss and recognition would mean even more pride in what we achieved.

Oseedubbs
22nd Feb 2013, 20:04
In a ski hutte in south Germany, bunch of enlisted who are looking after relaxing seniors in the eve, hard day skiing, few beers underway. Equivalent of SAC promoted - unknown to most - approached by 4* SACEUR USA and 4* DSACEUR GE who slap his new rank slides on each shoulder simultaneously - observed by, and timing called out, by 4* Chief of Staff at SHAPE UK ...! A 12* promotion - lovely look on his face and nicely done.......

thing
22nd Feb 2013, 21:50
MAcr pal of mine retired last week and was approached at a sporting event last month by a very senior officer and asked 'Are you *******?' Who then proceeded to thank him for his service which I thought was very nice.

PeregrineW
23rd Feb 2013, 09:30
In a ski hutte in south Germany, bunch of enlisted who are looking after relaxing seniors in the eve, hard day skiing, few beers underway. Equivalent of SAC promoted - unknown to most - approached by 4* SACEUR USA and 4* DSACEUR GE who slap his new rank slides on each shoulder simultaneously - observed by, and timing called out, by 4* Chief of Staff at SHAPE UK ...! A 12* promotion - lovely look on his face and nicely done.......

Nicely done, indeed...my promotion to Cpl was marked by the Sqn and Flt Cdrs simultaneously applying my new rank slides to my wooly pully (yes, I was inhabiting it at the time!). Nowhere near what this chap got, but recognition all the same, and I've remembered it to this day.

BEagle
23rd Feb 2013, 14:04
In Dec 2000, I was doing a combined 'Flight Cat' and 'AAR Role Cat' on a squadron Captain, who needed the check as the last element necessary to be upgraded to 'B' Cat / Above the Average. We did the AAR, a PD to Waddington, then some circuits at Brize, finally landing on what had become a nasty wet December evening. 4½ hours of pretty hard work for him!

As we taxyed in, I could vaguely make out more than just the usual crew van waiting. The GE came on intercom and announced that the Stn Cdr was on his way up to the flight deck, which had us wondering. He also added "Message from the boss, did the trip go OK?" An odd request, but I said it had been absolutely fine. Then the Stn Cdr appeared on the flight deck looking furious and proceeded to bawl me out over some alleged serious complaint from ATC, which had me doing the proverbial 'guppy fish at feeding time' impression. Then, without pausing for breath, he turned to the other pilot, who was also looking equally nonplussed and said "And as for you, O'****n, how dare you fly one of my station's aircraft improperly dressed!". As my colleague began to open his mouth in astonishment, the Stn Cdr thrust a pair of Sqn Ldr rank slides at him and ripped the Flt Lt ones off his epaulettes - then roared with laughter at his 100% successful wind up. It seems he'd discovered some little known 'manning' clause in the Blunty Bible, allowing him to promote people ahead of their appearance on the official list and had decided to use it on this occasion. Which was thoroughly well deserved, I hasten to add.

As my newly promoted, newly B-Cat'd chum was recovering from the shock, a hand appeared with a glass of something fizzy. His Flt Cdr and a couple of colleagues had been in the crew van with bottles and glasses at the ready, so once we'd signed off the jet to the GE as being, as usual, 100% serviceable, we had a most excellent crew debrief.

Oh - and we hadn't upset ATC either. Kelvin had me completely fooled on that!