PDA

View Full Version : Audacity on Ubuntu

rans6andrew
8th Feb 2013, 13:52
I would quite like to install Audacity music editor onto my Ubuntu system. On the download page of their website (Audacity: Download (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/)) it suggests that the GNU/Linux version is only available as a source code rather than an executable installer.

How does this work? Will it work for a Ubuntu platform?

If all else fails I could put it onto a Winduz machine but ...... the sound card in my Ubuntu desktop machine is the business.

Rans6......

Bushfiva
9th Feb 2013, 02:15
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Audacity and follow the links within such as InstallingSoftware then CompilingEasyHowTo.

MG23
9th Feb 2013, 02:24
Audacity is an optional install in Ubuntu, so there's no need to build it yourself unless you really need the absolute latest version. Just use apt or the software installer GUI to install it.

le Pingouin
9th Feb 2013, 02:37
You're doing it all wrong! Linux is not Windows where you need to download everything directly and manually install it.

Almost everything you'll need is available form a software repository. A big advantage is whenever you check for updates (or the system does it for you) any program you've installed this way is included. It does rely on Ubuntu building the updates and adding them to the repository.

From the command line:
sudo apt-get install audacity

For the GUI:
Ubuntu Software Centre

bnt
10th Feb 2013, 20:52
Basically, the makers of Audacity provide the Linux source code, then the various Linux distributors (Ubuntu, Red Hat, SuSE etc) compile it and add it to their repositories. You can compile it from source code if you want to, but you don't need to.

rans6andrew
11th Feb 2013, 12:34
Ah! I got it now. I was first shown this by a PC user, who showed me where to download on the Audacity website. As in my opening post, they only have the "flatpack" version there, you have to build it for yourself.

Ta.

Rans6....