PDA

View Full Version : RWY 16R ILS OOS - SYDNEY KSA

sunnySA
8th Feb 2013, 09:00
I will try again, as a supplement to NOTAMs and to hopefully avoid what NN referred to (as there were numerous aircrew who on day one didn't seem to know about the importance of being able to accept the RNAV approach).

Works on the RWY 16R ILS commence on 18-February, 2013.

Be advised that when instrument approaches are required for RWY 16R then the RNAV-Z (GNSS) will be the default, a VOR approach to RWY 16R or (for suitable aircraft) an ILS approach to RWY 16L would be the other option.

Depending on the weather conditions and cloud base, delays to inbound traffic may occur due to a 50% increase in the separation standards that apply to parallel runway operations when both ILS aren't available, that is, 3nm between traffic on the adjacent runway (rather than 2nm). Arrival rates will be adjusted to reflect this reduced capacity.

neville_nobody
Yeah you'll be looking at 30+ mins during peak hour. I remember when works were on 34R a few years ago and some heavy rain during the early morning peak caused mayhem. Guys couldn't get visual off the RNAV, Indefinite holding, single runway ops, diversions everywhere,

Capt Fathom
8th Feb 2013, 10:53
Is this any different to what has occurred in the past?

Not sure what your point is here?

sunnySA
8th Feb 2013, 11:22
My point is that unless the information (about the RWY 16R ILS) is widely distributed and understood then we will repeat our mistakes. It is different this time because the RNAV-Z (GNSS) approach will be the default (not the VOR approach).

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
Karl Marx

Tidbinbilla
8th Feb 2013, 11:24
Indeed. Companies will issue standing orders to flight crew regarding such outages. These orders refer crew to the relevant notams.

Thank you for the information.