PDA

View Full Version : Burning mp3's on to CD

Warren Rabbit
20th Apr 2002, 02:26
I was under the impression that you could record about 150 mp3's on to one CD (roughly 5Mb per average length song), and in fact have seen it done. However when I drag and drop my mp3 files for burning (I use Adaptec CD Creator), even though they are only 5Mb each, the software measures the used capacity of the CD by time rather than file size. So after it detects 75 mins worth of music it says "that's all, folks", despite there being only 60Mb or so of files.

Am I doing something wrong?

What_does_this_button_do?
20th Apr 2002, 05:45
Well, yes you are.

The software thinks you want to create a music CD and thus is converting your MP3 files into CD Audio. What you want to do is create a data CD and then the files will be stored against there size rather than by time.

B

spannersatcx
20th Apr 2002, 05:53
I think this is what is happening, so I could be wrong!
You are trying to make an AUDIO CD so ezcd is automatically converting the mp3's into .wav files and therefore restricting the amount you can record to the capacity of the cdr i.e 74 mins. I think you need to just make it as a data cd therefore the amount you can put on will be restricted by the cdr capacity i.e 650mbs and not time. Try it and see. Hope that helps.:cool:

spannersatcx
20th Apr 2002, 05:55
I must of been typing at the same time as What_does_this_button_do? at least we have the same answer!

carbheatcold
20th Apr 2002, 07:13
The alternative is to upgrade your version of EZCD to 5.1 which, I believe, allows you to create specific MP3 Cd's. I have not tried using it to create MP3's yet. If you are a regular to this thread you will be aware of the problems running ver 5.0 with Win XP, it doesn't!!!! So far 5.1 does seem to work well but I bet someone is struggling with it.

carbheatcold

FL310
20th Apr 2002, 09:10
As others said before, you are creating audio cd, this is NOT what you want to do...change the setting to DATA and all will be fine. MP3s are not audio files, they are pure data files, in terms used by the software at least...

BRL
20th Apr 2002, 23:13
I have got everything that The Beatles have ever done plus a few rare interviews on ONE CD. Unreal isn't it.!!!!!!:confused:

Squawk7777
25th Apr 2002, 14:28
I wanted to burn my MP3s onto CD using Nero 5.5.1.9.

Something rather odd happened: I dragged all songs to the "to-be-burned" window, and noticed that two songs displayed only about 30 secs to 1 minute playing time. I checked the file size and played them with WinAmp and Sonique and the files are not corrupt! Then I thought that Nero wasn't able to recognized the 99 min CD so I reduced the number of songs and total playing time considerably, but it didn't change.

Any idea(s)? Software bug?

FL310
25th Apr 2002, 22:04
Big L ...now that would be unreal if you would put that CD into my player here on my PC to have a thorough check of all the songs....while some lights on the PC would flicker for some time
;) :p

BRL
25th Apr 2002, 23:01
FL310. I have it here now. I can do you a copy if you want it...?

FL310
25th Apr 2002, 23:31
squawk...I know from other places that Nero has in some versions strange bugs.

Three suggestions, delete the list completely and start with these files in question first to see how they show up, secondly, try to create a list for a "standard" CD and check the indicated lenght, thirdly, invest a CD and burn them to see what happens.

You may be entitled to have your Nero version upgraded as a registered user, check their website in any case!

Squawk7777
26th Apr 2002, 13:26
Thanks FL310 !!!

Warren Rabbit
27th Apr 2002, 10:27
And thanks to those who answered my original query. Been computerless for a week, hence the tardiness, but this forum once again proves itself a tremendous source of assistance and knowledge.

WR

BayAreaLondoner
28th Apr 2002, 16:39
Squawk - I encountered something similar with an MP3 track I was burning using NTI CD-Maker. My solution was to convert into a .WAV file for the purposes of burning. Worked fine.
So if an upgrade doesn't fix the problem, try the format conversion method.

Squawk7777
29th Apr 2002, 05:42
BayAreaLondoner - thanks. I'll give it a try. I am trying to remember if you can convert MP3 into WAV with Nero. I am using my laptop now, so I am uncertain ... What program do you use to convert MP3 into WAV and vice versa?

BayAreaLondoner
29th Apr 2002, 17:19
Squawk - I use SonicFoundry's Vegas Video, but unless you're into video editing, it is unlikely that you'll have that :)
Something that you can use for free (in demo mode) is Cool Edit. It can be found here http://www.syntrillium.com/ and, if memory serves, should do the trick.