PDA

View Full Version : Driving test in English or Welsh

ricardian
7th Feb 2013, 20:35
The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) wants to know your views on removing the language support given to some driving test candidates.
At the moment, learner drivers and riders can:

take a theory test with a voiceover in 1 of 19 languages, other than English or Welsh
bring an interpreter with them when they take their theory and practical driving tests.

DSA wants to know your views on:

options for changing the current level of language support
how much notice should be given before making a change
how best to avoid an increase in unlicensed driving

Interesting but rather long survey. (https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/driving-test-language-support)

racedo
7th Feb 2013, 20:57

Require all Insurance policies to have the driving licence number of the person or persons on the insurance policy.

Then let Insurance company check DL when policy taken out as to validate it, no insurance then no license.

Tableview
7th Feb 2013, 21:07

Allow police to stop any car, at any time, for any reason. Unlicensed drivers should havge the car confiscated (tough if it's someone else's, teaches them to be more careful who they lend their car to) and the car sold at public auction. If unroadworthy, as often the case, it should be crushed (ideally with the driver and occupants inside it but that may be a little OTT!).

Drivers found to be illegally in the country, deported, regardless of their human rights.

Applicants for licences who are not proficient in the national language(s) should be inhibited from obtaining a licence until proficient, on the basis that particularly in a stressful or dangerous situation, their lack of proficiency places themselves and other road users at risk if unable ot understand police officers' instructions, road signs, etc.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Feb 2013, 21:13
make it compulsory to place an a driving licence cert, and an insurance certificate in the windscreen, alongside the road tax licence

MadsDad
7th Feb 2013, 22:03
Tableview, as a point of information if the police stop a car and the driver is unlicenced they will confiscate it currently. No licence = no insurance = you can't drive it.

racedo
7th Feb 2013, 22:09
make it compulsory to place an a driving licence cert, and an insurance certificate in the windscreen, alongside the road tax licence

Prefer not as too much info out there for scammers.

Tax disk is proof of Insurance and MOT WHEN tax taken out.

Police it and target people without proper driving documents.

Insurance company happy to take premiums so end that practice.

Tableview
8th Feb 2013, 05:09
Tableview, as a point of information if the police stop a car and the driver is unlicenced they will confiscate it currently. No licence = no insurance = you can't drive it.

They may have the right to do so. Whether they enforce that right is a different matter. I know of a case where a friend of mine was hit by an unlicensed (ergo uninsured) driver from the Middle East ( I forget where exactly), who had overstayed his 'welcome' in the UK. He came round a corner on the wrong side of the road.

My friend and her two small sons would probably have been killed had it not been for the fact that they were in a Merc, which was a write off. The driver of the other car, whose English was so bad that the police had to call an interpreter to the scene of the accident, got off with a caution.

This is why I feel so strongly about the above.

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Feb 2013, 05:19
No licence = no insurance = you can't drive it.

As has oft been stated in the various firearm debates, that kind of thing only applies to the law abiding. Unless there are severe consequences and they're rigorously enforced, no change. Even then, many will just do as they please anyway.

Blacksheep
8th Feb 2013, 12:45
I recently drove from Luton all the way to Lemsford behind a Welwyn Hatfield licensed taxicab that was being driven so badly, the driver cannot possible have passed a PSV driving test. This week's Welwyn Hatfield Times had an article in it about the council cracking down on illegal taxis. Once they started checking near the bus station, taxicabs all but disappeared from the town centre. :hmm:

OFSO
8th Feb 2013, 13:12
Drivers found to be illegally in the country, deported, regardless of their human rights.

Far too lenient, old boy. Shot and THEN the remains deported. That'll teach 'em.

beaufort1
8th Feb 2013, 13:18
We have by law to show an insurance certificate inside the windscreen, road tax was transferred as a tax on fuel at the same time a few years ago. This system was thought fairer under the 'user pays' principle. I have no problem with this as I reckon I'll struggle to do 2000 miles this year. :)

Mr Chips
8th Feb 2013, 19:30
tableview - if the car was a write off in the accident, not much point in the Police impounding it...

Keef
8th Feb 2013, 20:41
When I got my German licence, back in the pre-EU days, I had to prove competence in the German language. There was a brief problem since they didn't have a test paper for English speakers, but the Beamte and I worked out a way past that.

Why wouldn't you need to speak adequate English to be allowed a driving licence in the UK?

The Welsh point is an interesting one. My elder daughter (who is reasonably fluent in the North Walian version) had a Landie bang into her in a country lane. The vehicle fled. She reported it to the police, with the registration number. They caught up with the driver, whose answer was that he spoke only Welsh, and the car had "English" plates, so there was no point in stopping.