PDA

View Full Version : Horsemeat - Part Deux

Pages : [1] 2

OFSO
7th Feb 2013, 20:08
Did not someone have the gall in Horsemeat Part 1 to tell me he had a relative working at Aldi, and how careful in the procurement area that store was ?

Well: BBC News - Horsemeat row: Aldi is latest to drop Silvercrest (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21276584)

Although to be fair, is there any mass-market chain still untouched by the scandal ?

G-CPTN
7th Feb 2013, 20:39
BBC News - Findus beef lasagne contained up to 100% horsemeat, FSA says (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21375594)

What I want to know is whether I am getting better value if my meat product is horsemeat rather than beef? (or am I due a refund?)

tony draper
7th Feb 2013, 20:48
Neigh your not.:rolleyes:

500N
7th Feb 2013, 20:54
G-CPTN

Depends on which part of the horse they use.

Their is a lot of meat on a horse and very little fat
- well, fit, wild one's.

Cheap pies et al, we all know what goes in them.

I can't see what all the fuss is about, it's only a culture based thing,
same as when I was in France and they cooked up Sheep's brains
and eyeballs.

Send it all to France, they'll grab them quick.

It's just a media beat up like they do to get a reaction and
then the story feeds on itself.

Slasher
7th Feb 2013, 20:57
So from now on it'll be horses doovers then?

Sunnyjohn
7th Feb 2013, 20:59
I can't see what all the fuss is about. So we've all been eating horse meat for years and we're still here. What the stomach don't know, the heart can't grieve about.

con-pilot
7th Feb 2013, 21:01
So from now on it'll be horses doovers then?

Oh God, that is so bad. :p

Now you know why I never ask what I am eating when in China. There are times I really don't want to know.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Feb 2013, 21:01
Hold up a hoof if you've ever bought a 'value' food product from a supermarket?

No, thought not. None of us are that dumb. The question is, will Waynetta Slob keep buying the stuff after Tesco et al promises not to do it again? One awaits developments.

Point is:it is inevitable this will keep happening if the supermarkets continue their practice of awarding big contracts to a few suppliers only, whose business survival then depends on those contracts, then insisting they drop prices every year.

Probably lucky they caught it at horse before the cats started going missing.

G-CPTN
7th Feb 2013, 21:05
I have no inbuilt prejudice against consuming horsemeat (although I have never knowingly eaten any).

Even the threat of 'bute' (Phenylbutazone) seems to be exaggerated:-
Truth about 'bute', the drug at the centre of the Findus lasagne horse meat scandal - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/truth-about-bute-the-drug-at-the-centre-of-the-findus-lasagne-horse-meat-scandal-8486089.html)

I blame the French . . .

500N
7th Feb 2013, 21:09
"So from now on it'll be horses doovers then?"

Reminds me of those British comedy's - like Bucket Hyacinth :O
when someone from the other side of the fence tries to
say something like that.

500N
7th Feb 2013, 21:10
This whole saga reminds me of the Kangaroo meat issue
- when people don't realise that 'roos are the best meat out,
great taste, no fat, all good stuff.

Vitesse
7th Feb 2013, 21:14
My lad's a coeliac and we rely on food labels being accurate.

I don't care whether I eat horsemeat or not, but I do worry that if someone has the neck to chuck dobbin in a burger there's likely other stuff going on that I'd rather not know about.

Can of worms waiting to be opened?

Slasher
7th Feb 2013, 21:15
Rule 1 in China con is to never tell a gweilo what he's actually eating if he
appears to be enjoying it. I had a fantastic (though toughish) sossie once
in HKG. Wasn't till later I dry-wretched after finding out it was deer penis! http://serve.mysmiley.net/sick/sick0025.gif

....before the cats started going missing.

In any Chinese stall check out the cats - if they wander around as if they
own the damn place you're safe. If they appear twitchy and nervous and
watch everything anyone does...especially anybody with meat cleavers...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Feb 2013, 21:15
Can of worms waiting to be opened?

I think they call that 'value spaghetti'

500N
7th Feb 2013, 21:21
Fox3

Very good :O

Milo Minderbinder
7th Feb 2013, 21:23
On demand - a can of worms (Silkworms actually, so really caterpillars)

Eating Korean Silk Worms - YouTube

Slasher
7th Feb 2013, 21:27
Poofters food Milo!

REAL men eat worms straight from the can! :ok:

http://www.gomonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/can-of-worms.jpg

500N
7th Feb 2013, 21:35
Worms.

Just remember to squeeze them from one end to the other
to get all the dirt out first :O

Vitesse
7th Feb 2013, 21:38
Cans of Worms.

Thank you all!

con-pilot
7th Feb 2013, 21:39
In any Chinese stall check out the cats - if they wander around as if they
own the damn place you're safe. If they appear twitchy and nervous and
watch everything anyone does...especially anybody with meat cleavers...

I've heard that before and you know what, I think that is the truth. :p

Milo Minderbinder
7th Feb 2013, 21:41
500N
I thort you were supposed to do that to wimmen (squeeze the dirt out that is...)

Slasher
7th Feb 2013, 21:41
500N - you mean you want to get rid of the garnish? :confused:

ex_matelot
7th Feb 2013, 21:43
Just a quick one.....

Does anybody blame the french?

Milo Minderbinder
7th Feb 2013, 21:44
The Argentines eat more horses than the French

from Wikidpaedia

Horse meat production levels
as of 2009
Country Tons per year
Mexico 78,000
Argentina 57,000
Kazakhstan 55,000
Mongolia 38,000
Kyrgyzstan 25,000
Australia 24,000
Brazil 21,000
Canada 18,000
Poland 18,000
Italy 16,000*
Romania 14,000
Chile 10,000
France 7,500
Uruguay 8,000
Senegal 9,500
Colombia 6,000
Spain 5,000*

500N
7th Feb 2013, 21:46
Milo
Standards please, standards :O

Slasher
Is that what they call it. I'll remember this when I next order
something and it has "garnish" on the menu :O

Tell me, do you apply the same to Lobster, Prawns etc :O

I'm going to pass on that "garnish" comment to an Aboriginal lady
who cooked a Turtle once. I ripped a leg out, only to see the space
fill up with a green fatty liquid. Almost made me puke.
Garnish indeed !

Slasher
7th Feb 2013, 21:48
Tell me, do you apply the same to Lobster, Prawns etc

No of course not! Just that worms without dirt is like....apple pie without cream! :}

500N
7th Feb 2013, 21:52
Slasher

OK, I'll believe you.

It's a long time since I ate one :O

Milo Minderbinder
7th Feb 2013, 21:57
so what are women without dirt like?

Slasher
7th Feb 2013, 22:00
Thai! :E ...........

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Feb 2013, 22:07
Lobster

Drive 15 clicks to wharf.
Buy one off the boat.
Food source assured.

G-CPTN
7th Feb 2013, 22:17
Mussels are frequently found near sewage outflows.

Just saying . . .

Does anybody blame the french?
I blame the French . . .

broadreach
7th Feb 2013, 22:42
Thanks for your stats, Milo.

I checked to see if any Brazilian horse/donkey meat was going to Ireland. No trace, and the last year any went to the UK was 2007, only 48 tons.

Brazil's biggest market is still Belgium but even that's reduced, from 5,927 tons in 2007 to 1,480 in 2012.

"Donkey"? Yes, for customs purposes they're classed as one and the same and, as far as Brazilian production's concerned, the meat is mostly from donkeys. Don't know about other countries' split but those hamburgers may actually have been assburgers. Nowhere near as tasty as furburgers. I should think.

ex_matelot
8th Feb 2013, 01:10
Thanks gcptn. Glad to see standards are being maintained

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Feb 2013, 05:34
A few years ago, SA Flora and Fauna started a rumour that the crayfish sold along the side of the road in rural areas in the Eastern Cape were kept in the long drop toilets overnight. This was to put folks off buying them as they were all poached, and stocks were being decimated.

sitigeltfel
8th Feb 2013, 07:05
Exactly what it says on the tin???????? :eek:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/sitigeltfel/FishAssholes.jpg

Mac the Knife
8th Feb 2013, 07:22
"..so what are women without dirt like?"

Boring!

[Someone wrote on my Landy, "I wish my girlfriend was as dirty as this car!"]

Mac

:}

shalo
8th Feb 2013, 07:22
Here in Northern France, horse meat is a staple part of our diet. Cheaper than beef, it is leaner too and if properly prepared very tender.

Now I don't have a problem eating it as long as I know what it is, and I think that the problems that are being encountered in the UK are down to this mislabeling of the products. It also makes one wonder what else is being mislabeled....

For those who have travelled to these parts I suggest you try a Fricadelle... delicious, but as the saying goes, don't ask whats in it... I never have and still love em :ok:

B Fraser
8th Feb 2013, 07:28
I was shocked that Findus products contained 100% meat. My doctor advised me that I should watch what I eat so I went out and bought a ticket for the Grand National.

Lon More
8th Feb 2013, 07:57
Plernty of horsemeat here in the supermarkets in NL , usually smoked. Very tasty.

SpringHeeledJack
8th Feb 2013, 09:19
It's pretty sobering when one considers the morals of the meat trade, that is the side of it that supplies the trade, providing industrial quantities of dubious meat and meat products to end product distributors. That something so fundamental as food is treated with such disdain is telling. An uncle worked for years in a meat processing company as an electrician, responsible for the rendering facilities. He became a vegetarian after witnessing one too many horrors (albeit legal and in regular usage even today). A good book to read is 'Fast Food Nation', both fascinating and shocking :yuk:

SHJ

screwballburling
8th Feb 2013, 10:30
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Storm in a horse meat stew if you ask me.

Think ourselves lucky we have something eatable to put in out mouths. Half the world's population go hungry and would relish the throught of a decent meal, even if it consisted of 100% horse meat.

At some of these fast food franchises, run by shall we say foreigners, have probably got traces of rat meat in their products they sell over the counter.

A relative of mine maintains appliances at certain fast food outlets. The stories he tells would make you want throw up.

You can take a person out of the swill they are bought up but you will never take the swill out of the person. You will never be able to teach them hygiene.

vulcanised
8th Feb 2013, 11:36
I hear an Irish supermarket have cleared their shelves of Horseradish.

500N
8th Feb 2013, 11:39
"Anyway, I recollect being told that, if it flies, swims, walks or crawls you can eat it http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif"

Yes, that is normally the case, until something gets presented to you
that makes you dry reach.

In my case, Dry roasted Fruit bat :O

Looks as bad as it smells.

unclenelli
8th Feb 2013, 12:07
But the problem here isn't the non-disclosure of horsemeat! (althoiugh this only breaches the Trades Descriptions Act)

It's the possible presence of phenylbutazone in that horsemeat!
And what ELSE could have been included......!

El Grifo
8th Feb 2013, 12:16
You tell em unclenelli, they just seem to be ignoring the facts !

A few nuggets to come out of the disgrace.

A new term " One species meat product"

And one from the Heilans

"Neigh mare ready meals for me then"

Blacksheep
8th Feb 2013, 12:18
No.

Regardless of what is edible and/or tasty, the actual issues are of (1) trade description and (2) substitution.
1. The product is not what is described on the package and
2.What is stated on the package has been substituted with cheaper raw materials to increase profits.

The meat packers are in the same game as the bankers - selling things that are not as described in order to screw the consumer.

El Grifo
8th Feb 2013, 12:29
What Blacksheep said !

G-CPTN
8th Feb 2013, 12:31
UK farmers and butchers are commenting that they are required (by law) to demonstrate traceability of any meat back to the actual animal, yet imported meat seems to be exempt from these regulations.

UK flags new rules to strengthen meat traceability (http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Supply-Chain/UK-flags-new-rules-to-strengthen-meat-traceability)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Feb 2013, 12:56
OK, will someone please explain to me why Governments insist on traceability/ high employment standards etc for home-produced stuff/jobs, then permit imports which don't meet these standards.
All this does is put their own nationals out of work and guarantee imports will be from countries with low standards.
Horsemeat in burgers,
Garments from factories where everyone dies if there's a fire. etc

It is madness isn't it?

Oh, and whilst we're at it, why are fines less than the profits made by the offence? (e.g. banks, utility pressure selling, etc.)

El Grifo
8th Feb 2013, 13:23
john lennon revolution (acoustic version) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/cEKhl1-G7Jo)

G-CPTN
8th Feb 2013, 13:34
BBC News - Horsemeat row: Don't dump meat, says food minister (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21377601)

treadigraph
8th Feb 2013, 13:36
Do Findus fish products contain seahorse? :)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Feb 2013, 14:10
Another one for you El Grifo

Thievery Corporation ft. Perry Farrell - Revolution Solution - YouTube

El Grifo
8th Feb 2013, 14:23
Yep, that'll do alright !

PS how do you embed vids rather than just banging up the link :uhoh:

Effluent Man
8th Feb 2013, 15:14
Findus gave a clue on the packet: Lasagne : Nag Sale (anag)

Slasher
8th Feb 2013, 15:26
El Grif -

1. Just copy and paste the link directly onto the post reply area - eg "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywxwFX2Il2M" (without the quote marks).

2. Voila!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywxwFX2Il2M

airship
8th Feb 2013, 16:30
In spite of mad cows and BSE which ensured that all exports of British beef and derivations were banned by other EU countries for almost 10 years until 2006 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4785610.stm), British beef is today still safe to eat, at least in Findus lasagnes, simply because it's upto 100% horsemeat...?! :D

OK, I saw that the Findus lasagne meals were actually produced for the brand by a French company... ;)

Let's face it though, all the safeguards / regulations / controls and checks etc. put in place by the governments, food industry generally or companies individually offer no real guarantees do they...?!

And why I almost never ever buy any meat from my local supermarket anymore. Ever since a few years ago, when I suspected they simply repackaged "out of date" fresh meats with newer "consume before" labels, though more recently they appear to be improving on their bad practices, but prices have risen considerably...

Whatever, interesting to read that if average UK food prices had tracked average UK house prices over the past 40 years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21365920): Applying the same rate of inflation to food prices, Shelter says a chicken would now cost £51, and a four-pint bottle of milk would cost £10. It says on average a family weekly shop would cost more than £450.

A recent poll for Shelter found that 59% of adults who don't own a home believe they will never be able to afford to buy in the area where they live

I count myself to be one of those "59% of adults who very long ago simply discarded all thoughts and ambitions to buying one's own home". All the difference in the value of homes compared to food has been "stored up" in funny-money, abetted and aided by governments of all persuasions. Propping-up 1st world economies and credit ratings of their debts.

Simply remove 1) any and all tax-reliefs on mortgage interest repayments, and more importantly 2) apply CGT at realistic levels on all sales of private property involving principal abodes which appear to sometimes wholly-escape any CGT etc.

Us "renters" would be grateful, even if it all comes too late for many of us. All "food for thought"... :ok:

mustpost
8th Feb 2013, 16:35
Grifo, still here in the sticks close to the borderline (c Cooder) good to see yr still posting, this seems to be the right thread for this Jockistan gem...
Man fined £200 for feeding a Gregg's ham roll to police horse | News | Glasgow | STV (http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/213273-man-fined-200-for-feeding-a-greggs-ham-roll-to-a-police-horse/)

Lon More
8th Feb 2013, 16:38
nobody should be fed one of them.

El Grifo
8th Feb 2013, 17:01
Extremely sweary. Those of tender disposition are advise to skip it :}

Hitler finds out that Tesco have found Horse Meat in their burgers... His parties ruined now! - YouTube

Thanks guys. Simples when you know how eh ???

Yep mustpost, still here.

Pprune is like cigarettes.

You know it ain´t the healthiest of activities, it´s just hard to kick the habit :ok:

fitliker
8th Feb 2013, 17:24
Reminds me of the question asked by a friends tailor in Hong Kong.When he ordered Boss,Armani,and Ralph Lauren suits.

What do you want on the label ?

Makes me wonder if that Chicken from Thailand sold in London shops is really chicken ?

mustpost
8th Feb 2013, 18:03
Love it! C4 news, UK, started with shots and music from 'Black Beauty' :D

ricardian
8th Feb 2013, 18:24
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/600481_545316778832340_741425920_n.jpg

AlpineSkier
8th Feb 2013, 21:01
On this evening's main news on TF1, there was a short report of the Findus involvement which ended saying this is the latest of a number of food scandals in the U.K. The lousy shits didn't bother to mention that the meat was supplied by a French company, Comagel, although that has already been reported elsewhere.

Perhaps naive of me, but that degree of hypocrisy in the country where I choose to live upsets me.

G-CPTN
8th Feb 2013, 21:09
this is the latest of a number of food scandals in the U.K.Probably wouldn't have made the news in France had it happened there (horsemeat being accepted by many).

Comigel has its administrative headquarters in Metz in northeastern France but its production centres are in Luxembourg.
From (and more at):- Horsemeat lasagne safe, says Findus - World News | IOL News | IOL.co.za (http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/horsemeat-lasagne-safe-says-findus-1.1467081)

galaxy flyer
8th Feb 2013, 21:14
Ricardian

I kinda think the cows are thinking....

EAT MORE HORSEMEAT

GF

Krystal n chips
9th Feb 2013, 05:11
C4 News last night carried a series of articles on the subject.

The link shows a Gov't person doing a credible impression of a burger being char grilled....and served sans salad and side dishes...

Catch up - Channel 4 News (http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/)

Have a look at the remaining articles and note the comments from the Master Butcher

And the masterpiece of understatement, from CMD, about the public being "upset".....as ever, completely in touch with the electorate.

We can only await a reprise of the Selwyn G moment, this time showing CMD, Gorgeous George et al merrily eating burgers to prove to the nation how safe they are.....the burgers that is...

CATIII-NDB
9th Feb 2013, 09:07
The (we) British are what they eat: look at the way we are governed.

Oh what's next ? Sausages, pies of all sorts, inc Pork (lets not get too technical on that one - What's the chance of Human DNA here).. There's a certain tradition here on that one.

The UK "Food Standards Agency" was too frigging slack to perform even sample DNA testing. The Irish did, on I suspect intelligence; from their Police.

A warning to all potential tourists to the UK. Stay Veggie and do not fall ill to the point of requiring "Tender, loving Care" in one of our Hospitals specially, if you are elderly or only speek limited English. You may starve.

CAT III

[Edit: In my experience, you can trust Vets]

CATIII-NDB
9th Feb 2013, 09:18
I have always wondered why or Royal Family had such a fascination with Equine issues.

I had assumed that they were pre occupied with "Thorough breed blood lines", a form of self similarity and all that crap.

Wrong: they had their heads screwed on. There was an underlying, if unspoken commitment to sources of protein.

CAT III

cattletruck
9th Feb 2013, 10:27
Dunno about you neigh sayers. Nothing like a mane course served with standardbread followed by a long kneck of Belgian draft to spur you on.

Krystal n chips
9th Feb 2013, 12:22
Sir Humphrey would be mortified.

A Minister speaks !

BBC News - Horsemeat scandal: Minister prepares for more bad results (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21391891)

lasernigel
9th Feb 2013, 12:34
Brilliant video btw.:ok:

Ironic really that this happens the same week we were told that the bones beneath the car park were Richard 111. His immortal words were supposedly

"MY HORSE MY HORSE MY KINGDOM FOR A HORSE.

Well we all know where it went now.:ok:

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2013, 12:43
Several (if not most) supermarkets have cancelled the contracts of their suppliers of processed meat products.

BBC News - Horsemeat scandal: The business impact (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21379587)

How long will it take to replace these with other suppliers?

CATIII-NDB
9th Feb 2013, 14:01
I suspect that the answer may be never: the increasing price of meat means that it is once again becoming a rarity for many people.

The people who eat these dishes (like me sometimes) can be on low incomes and the contents of the meals only really have a passing memory of the taste of "meat"

In the long term we will only eat meat "proper meat"as a luxury. Beef is very inefficient to produce in land usage and energy terms.

We are gradually resorting to the beans & pulses staples of the middle ages with pig as a FEASTable treat.

Good while it lasted say 1960-2012 but I see Porage Oats as a staple for many in the UK for rest of the decade with Pea Soup & rolled Oats making a comeback too.

No more sly trips to Aldi/Netto/Tesco etc for the middle class while "keeping up appearances" with alternate trips to the "posh" supermarkets like the one up the road from me that's too expensive for the weekly shop.

Where I live, a new food-bank is about to open - Yep in South God's Wonderland, heaven forbid.

Ultimately the small Beef/Sheep/Pig farmers will go under as meat goes out of fashion.

CAT III

[Edit: As the old song went: "Don't walk under the Apple tree with anyone else but me, because they are my apples and I need them for the Winter"]

vulcanised
9th Feb 2013, 14:23
How long will it take to replace these with other suppliers?

My bet is, no time at all, as they all change company names and start up again.

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2013, 14:47
Reading various links on other media, I discover that meat is being traded from Poland (and maybe from beyond) to Ireland via England and then back to England.
The 'added value' due to shipping costs must mean that basic material is pretty 'cheap', otherwise the locally-produced material should prove to be competitive.

When my burgers say that they are made from British Beef, is this beef that is supplied by British traders like Flexi Foods, or is it genuinely produced in Britain (from cattle born and raised in Britain that have been slaughtered in British abattoirs)?

Gone are the days when our village butcher would slaughter animals on the premises, and, even he has to buy from suppliers located many miles away (even the slaughterhouse in the nearby town has gone and been replaced by housing).

As a schoolboy I would pass the auction mart every schoolday and watch the animals being walked up the hill past the school and into the slaughterhouse (and I even went inside to watch on several occasions).

The animals would arrive in the town by train and be walked from the station to holding pens before being walked through the (edge of) town to be sold at the mart.

Milo Minderbinder
9th Feb 2013, 16:27
Assuming that this scam has been going on for years, is it possible that this is the reason why the expected epidemic of Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease never materialised following the BSE epidemic?
It could be that the widespread substitution has in fact saved many people from prion brain disease

Windy Militant
9th Feb 2013, 17:51
Huh I 'm really fed up with Pie makers They put lips, arseholes, fannys, eyelids and all sorts of offal into a pie, and then they go and spoil it by shoving all that pastry on it! I don't know.....:}

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2013, 18:16
Walls have ears - and they make pies (http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/topics/walls-will-be-bigger-in-pastries-than-bangers/212387.article) . . .

ZOOKER
9th Feb 2013, 19:13
In the country, corn 'as ears, 'taters 'av eyes and beans talks.

vulcanised
9th Feb 2013, 19:36
Windy, I bet you complain about yout Kitkat being covered in chocolate.

axefurabz
9th Feb 2013, 19:58
AlpineSkier: <cough> It's France. It's (still) full of French.

bnt
9th Feb 2013, 21:53
Improbable Research - the chaps behind the IgNobel Prizes - have coined the phrase Involuntary Hippophagia (http://www.improbable.com/2013/02/09/involuntary-hippophagia-1-horsemeat-a-view-from-croatia/) to describe the situation in the UK & Ireland. The link is to their story on a report on the horsemeat market in Croatia ...

hellsbrink
10th Feb 2013, 06:28
Saw a post on the book of faces wondering how many numpties will turn vegetarian because of the horsemeat scandal. I'm wondering how many will be asking for horse to be sold in Britain now they know why the burgers tasted better..............

Krystal n chips
10th Feb 2013, 06:36
" I'm wondering how many will be asking for horse to be sold in Britain now they know why the burgers tasted better.."

I understand they sell a lot of burgers at football matches....:p:E

hellsbrink
10th Feb 2013, 06:40
Something I wouldn't know about....... :p

Lon More
10th Feb 2013, 06:46
What next, McMuffin the Mule? Is there any part of a chicken that KFC doesn't use?

I read in the blog of a pet shop owner that there had been a shortage of pigs' ears some time ago as they were being processed into sausasges

hellsbrink
10th Feb 2013, 07:03
KFC uses chicken!! WOW, so that isn't the reason you never see a pigeon outside a KFC.............

sitigeltfel
10th Feb 2013, 07:41
I read in the blog of a pet shop owner that there had been a shortage of pigs' ears some time ago as they were being processed into sausasges

There is an old saying, "The only part of a pig you cannot eat is the squeak".

radeng
10th Feb 2013, 08:05
Larousse Gastronomique has recipes for pigs' ears.

Hydromet
10th Feb 2013, 08:32
There is an old saying, "The only part of a pig you cannot eat is the squeak".
Quite so. In fact, bore water is an excellent drink.

sitigeltfel
10th Feb 2013, 08:40
The adulteration of food within the EU, and the world is nothing new, and there are many more scandals waiting to be exposed. Indeed, some of them are so blatantly obvious, with nothing being done to stop them.

Take for example the millions of litres of “Extra Virgin” Olive Oil that Italy produces each year. If you look at the total production, then compare it against what their olive crop is physically capable of producing you can see immediately that the figures do not stack up. Supermarkets are selling the stuff at around €2 per litre when most of the genuine producers reckon €8 per litre is a price that will allow them to make a modest profit.

How is it done? Every week massive tankers loaded with poor grade oil from North Africa, Spain and Turkey discharge their loads into giant vats at Southern Italian ports. Much of the stuff is not even olive oil, with rapeseed and sunflower oils mixed in to bulk it up. Corrupt port officials smooth its passage to the refiners where it is cold distilled, deodorised and bottled as the genuine article. It is reckoned that some of the big names get away with having only 2% of the real thing in their bottles. Laboratories were set up to analyse and pass scrutiny on the industry, but most of the labs have the owners of the big processors sitting on their boards! Couple this with their political connections and the whole industry becomes a giant conspiracy against the consumer. Indeed, many consumers have become so used to the bland sludge that is on the shelves that if they are offered the real thing they dislike the pungent peppery after-taste it gives. I get my oil from local growers and friends who I can trust. Anything that comes out of the co-operatives I treat with suspicion.

When I lived in the UK their were a series of adverts showing swarthy, rustic Italian peasants rushing home from the fields to savour mamma’s tomato sauces. It would have been more honest if they had shown blonde people wearing clogs and smoking pot in their meerschaum pipes, as the stuff came out of factories in Holland.

You gets what you pays for..........as they say. :rolleyes:

Milo Minderbinder
10th Feb 2013, 08:56
KFC = Kompletely fukt chicken

Mac the Knife
10th Feb 2013, 10:44
Krystal n chips said, "..What's the chance of Human DNA here....?"

I see a lot of patients from bakeries and meat processing facilities who have lost bits of themselves in the mix.

So the answer is pretty high!

Mac

:ok:

crippen
10th Feb 2013, 11:40
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Krystal n chips
10th Feb 2013, 11:56
" Krystal n chips said, "..What's the chance of Human DNA here....?"

Mac....erm, no, sorry, not one of mine that I recall.

On the other hand, my natural modesty has never prevented me taking plaudits destined for others....,no reason to change now. :D

However, your answer does raise a good point and I can offer several suggestions as to humans who would be more beneficial to society in the form of processed meat than they are alive..... this could be classed as niche artisan market of course...:E

Then there was the film "Why it's not a good idea to eat Hotdogs"...or "Prime Cut" to give the film it's correct title...and the theme of that made you wonder as well...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Feb 2013, 12:08
:D:D Morrissey at Morrisons - very good.

Carjockey
10th Feb 2013, 12:11
I ate a quarter pounder at my local fast food outlet just yesterday. Strange, but the walk home afterwards seemed to be a couple of furlongs shorter than usual...

Low Flier
10th Feb 2013, 14:27
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/08/article-2275565-176E1502000005DC-104_634x274.jpg

El Grifo
10th Feb 2013, 14:48
Nonsense, my mum used to mix it up with some bubble.

Brilliant Jazz :D

My favourite phrase to come out of this is "single species meat products" :ooh:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Feb 2013, 16:42
The supermarkets are making the average kebab van look good......

Victor Inox
10th Feb 2013, 16:48
The true crime here is the fact that anyone would actually go out an buy frozen lasagne :yuk: instead of making it from scratch at home.

Lon More
10th Feb 2013, 17:25
It seems the French supermarkets are withdrawing products as well.

Off to the UK tonight. Got some smoked horse for a mate there (HMRC Officer) but if asked if anything to declare will answer, "Neigh"

G-CPTN
10th Feb 2013, 19:18
the price of horsemeat has recently fallen dramatically in Romania following a new law there banning horses and carts on the highway.

Suggestions that the horsemeat in the Comigel/Findus products came from Romania via Cyprus.

sitigeltfel
10th Feb 2013, 19:27
making it from scratch at home.Good quality scratch is hard to find these days. ;)

The big supermarket groups here are also caught up in the fraud...

Il s'agit de lasagnes, cannellonis ou spaghettis bolognaise, moussaka, hachis parmentier, vendus dans les magasins Auchan, Casino, Carrefour, Système U, Cora, Monoprix, Picard.

Milo Minderbinder
10th Feb 2013, 19:43
considering the controls on beef movements brought in since the BSE epidemic, its very hard to understand how this happened
surely imported carcasses are subject to the same controls?
and surely any half competent butcher can tell a beef carcass from a horse?

I can understand imports of prepacked food (burgers, pies, pizzas etc) losing details of origin of the meat, but we seem to have a situation where complete sides of meat are misdescribed. Totally unbelieveable

500N
10th Feb 2013, 19:47
Milo

"and surely any half competent butcher can tell a beef carcass from a horse?"

Not if it has been de boned and then packaged.

Even unfrozen I sometimes find it hard to tell
Beef from buffalo from Horse because of the
variation within due to age etc.

G-CPTN
10th Feb 2013, 19:59
surely any half competent butcher can tell a beef carcass from a horse?I'm assuming that the traded product is 'mince'.

Rail Engineer
10th Feb 2013, 20:21
On this evening's main news on TF1, there was a short report of the Findus involvement which ended saying this is the latest of a number of food scandals in the U.K. The lousy shits didn't bother to mention that the meat was supplied by a French company, Comagel, although that has already been reported elsewhere.

Perhaps naive of me, but thatdegree of hypocrisy in the country where I choose to live upsets me. The world has learnt to live with French hypocricy.

Having worked with them I have developed an intense dislike of them per se, and we manage our little bit by avoiding the purchase of anything we can identify as being French.

One cannot but despair the UK has simply not taken the opportunity to ban all meat imports from France, something the French are constantly at pains to do to the UK for the flimsiest of reasons.

reynoldsno1
10th Feb 2013, 20:41
I recently discovered that the ingredient 'seasoning' can include ground animal hide ... :hmm:

Krystal n chips
11th Feb 2013, 02:38
Milo.

Have another look at this link. Friday, then down to the first item on the bottom line " Horsemeat scandal".....the gentleman in question is most certainly a "half decent butcher"....and thus clearly knows what he is talking about...unlike, for example, yourself.

Catch up - Channel 4 News (http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/display/playlistref/080213)

B Fraser
11th Feb 2013, 07:12
I refer to a certain vendor of bleached chicken meat as "Unlucky Fried Kitten".

oh, and never trust a crafty butcher.

probes
11th Feb 2013, 08:54
good news - due to
... in Romania ... a new law ... banning horses and carts on the highway. it has been suggested donkey meat's been used too.

And even though I do feel lucky I eat none of the products in discussion and sorry for those who did and feel disgusted, it's actually edible at least[the non-traditional meat, to put it PC] unlike what was put into milk in China a couple of years ago or the dioxin in Belgian eggs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxin_Affair).

AlpineSkier
11th Feb 2013, 09:08
probes

I think if if someone is cheating on the meat being horse instead of beef, they are not going to be overly concerned if the horse is legal or not i.e. did it die of illness , does the meat contain drugs etc . There is therefore a real health concern beyond the fraud element.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 10:38
UK Government: "All processed meat is safe to eat"

UK Government:
Meat from animals treated with 'bute' is not safe to eat
'bute' isa common treatment for horses
'bute' tests on the meat have been ordered, but the results won't be known till next week.

conclusion: all processed meat may not be safe to eat, and the Government knows this, so why is it lying?

AlpineSkier
11th Feb 2013, 10:50
so why is it lying ?

Because the spokesman is stupid, because it's the default option, because it's less work than actually having to find out what the truth is ?

Because this is the same government which tests horses for export for bute and gets the results three weeks later when the horses are already exported, slaughtered and presumably in the food-chain. This has just been discovered and the FSA was unable to give an answer why it did this and what the point was .

El Grifo
11th Feb 2013, 11:06
the Government knows this, so why is it lying?

Eh, WMD :{

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 11:13
Well, quite El Grifo.
I know the Government lies.
What I meant was why, specifically, is the Government lying this time?

Is it to protect their party sponsors from the supermarkets?
Is it to protect themselves from a willful failure to police food safety?
Is it because there is a risk of shortages?
Is it because the price of food would have to rise to levels which are unsustainable for the low-waged/unemployed?
"Deny Everything, Baldrick!" mentality?

All of the above?

a.n. other reason

El Grifo
11th Feb 2013, 11:29
Is it to protect their party sponsors from the supermarkets?
Is it to protect themselves from a willful failure to police food safety?
Is it because there is a risk of shortages?
Is it because the price of food would have to rise to levels which are unsustainable for the low-waged/unemployed?
"Deny Everything, Baldrick!" mentality?

Prolly about covers it Fox3 :ok:

airship
11th Feb 2013, 14:00
Long time no see El Grifo. And welcome back hombre :ok:

El Grifo
11th Feb 2013, 14:09
Always lurking around !

Did an Atlantic crossing Nov/Dec so that kept me occupied for a while.

Stay Well !

El G.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Feb 2013, 14:20
Horsemeat: Driver Lifts Lid On Breaches - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/horsemeat-driver-lifts-lid-breaches-174318095.html#kRafSJr)

If you want to know what's really going on, ask those on minimum wage doing the 'dirty' work.

My brother used to deliver for McDonalds. He was entitled to free food. He never ate it. Ask yourself why.

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2013, 14:30
Thousands of horses 'sold for slaughter in Irish scam' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/9862351/Thousands-of-horses-sold-for-slaughter-in-Irish-scam.html)

airship
11th Feb 2013, 15:04
I do so admire so many of my fellow human-beings for all their intelligence in being able to come up with such scams. Not particularly because you necessarily have children to put through school and higher-education, but simply because you could...

I could well have been one of you. But I chose not to be. I don't believe in an almighty God or whatever, or even "kick-ass". Whereas you'll probably all get away with it all and even squeeze yourselves through the "eye of the needle" when the time comes. GCHQ, the NSA etc. probably know who we're all are. Do you hear the drone coming for you...? :confused:

SpringHeeledJack
11th Feb 2013, 15:15
I do so admire so many of my fellow human-beings for all their intelligence in being able to come up with such scams. Not particularly because you necessarily have children to put through school and higher-education, but simply because you could...

I've always been morbidly fascinated by people, or groups of people that are more than happy and content to 'screw the customer', it just seems to go against any kind of business integrity, let alone the human kind :confused: To knowingly put others health in danger to make extra profit seems to be shaking the karma tree a bit too much for my liking. What ever happened to the old adage 'treat others as you yourself wish to be treated' ?

SHJ

uffington sb
11th Feb 2013, 15:33
SHJ

It's sadly been replaced by the new adage 'F*ck 'em'.

airship
11th Feb 2013, 15:43
SHJ wrote: ...old adage 'treat others as you yourself wish to be treated'

But that was back in them good ole days...

Nowadays, we all more or less apparently suffer from some affliction/s* which give everyone "righteous cause" and excuse to behave in any way they feel fit to do so.

NB * = being born black / white, yellow, chocolate-coloured; diagnosed with Aspergers or something similar; being rich and thinking you pay far too much tax; being poor and thinking someone else is directly responsable and targetting you; being wretched, Muslim and tracked by drones and not being allowed to repent and simply go away to live out the rest of your lives in peace if that were possible (thinking of Mali here especially)...

cavortingcheetah
11th Feb 2013, 18:17
Was there a shortage of carcasses for the funeral home industry in Romania last year that led to this trade fair having to be cancelled.
EXPO FUNERARE (http://www.expofunerare.ro/index.php?limba2=en)
Has the British public been engaging, albeit unknowingly, in cannibal practices?

flying lid
11th Feb 2013, 18:17
Nowadays, we all more or less apparently suffer from some affliction/s* which give everyone "righteous cause" and excuse to behave in any way they feel fit to do so.

NB * = being born black / white, yellow, chocolate-coloured; diagnosed with Aspergers or something similar; being rich and thinking you pay far too much tax; being poor and thinking someone else is directly responsable and targetting you; being wretched, Muslim and tracked by drones and not being allowed to repent and simply go away to live out the rest of your lives in peace if that were possible (thinking of Mali here especially)...

Very well said. I'd never thought about it quite that way.

Lid

G-CPTN
12th Feb 2013, 16:59
Horsemeat from Yorkshire has been intercepted at a food manufacturing plant in Wales (with the horsemeat being represented as beef).

BBC News - Slaughterhouse and meat firm raided (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21434077)

Krystal n chips
12th Feb 2013, 17:15
Well with Tesco's having 60% horsemeat in the spag.bol, I suppose you could say they were ahead by a couple of furlongs at this stage...

BBC News - Horsemeat scandal: Which products have been withdrawn? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21412590)

There again, they could always organise a new race, the Supermarket Sweep Up....

flying lid
12th Feb 2013, 17:16
Yorkshire ----- Wot next ??

http://dogbreedinsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Yorkshire-Terriers-19.jpg

Anyway -

Q. Why are there no Pakistani's living in Wigan ?

A. Because 20 years ago the Chinese found out they tasted like chicken.

Lid

unclenelli
12th Feb 2013, 18:06
I was at a function last night. The sit-down meal had been cancelled due to fears about the beef and replaced by a finger buffet.

I spent all night stuffing my face with Canapés!

(What animal does a D'ouevre come from?)

sitigeltfel
12th Feb 2013, 18:36
From the "You couldn't make it up." department.

Last October, Tim Smith, the head of the UK Food Standards Agency, left his post to become the Group Technical Director of...................Tesco!

Milo Minderbinder
12th Feb 2013, 18:46
I think its just the tip of the iceberg....think of all the processed foods that have not yet been checked: the meat fest pizzas, the prepack curries and chilli-con-carnes.....
How about tinned foods? Tinned mince etc - it would be even easier to "lose" meat in those
And I see in one of those links above a suggestion that minced lamb may also be subject to substitution ......imagine the potential effect on the doner kabab market

stuckgear
12th Feb 2013, 19:40
i was listening to an article on the radio today about the very subject, yes radio 4 i admit it !! and the interviewer was incredulous that meat moving from one part of europe to another isn't checked by customs.. WTF do these people think 'common customs union' means FFS!

the whole principle is based on the fact that one country accepts the processes of another. So of course interstate fraud potential and mis-representation is not only possible, but it's open season.

A certain Irish group had identified some 70,000 horses exported to the EU for slaughter with false paperwork and false microchips involved and had a hard time being heard.

I also find it slightly ironic that the French banned imports of British beef over the BSE matter, when in fact there were more findings of BSE in French herds than in UK ones, it was only that british scientists said there could be a link between Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and human Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) that created the ban, while other member state scientists said it wasn't possible. So the UK got the ban.

Why are many downplaying the situation.. bearing in mind that bute contaminated meat is unfit for human consumption?

beacuse politicians and bureaucrats are effing useless, effing liars and care more about protecting their own little empires than actually doing what they are supposed to do.

it's past fraud and mis-representation it's actually a eu wide and wider public health risk.

a few may be shown the inside of court room, maybe, probably a few mea clupas and a fine and the bureaucrats that are charged with preventing such things happening? probably a promotion or two..

vulcanised
12th Feb 2013, 19:51
My bet is that this has all been going on for years and we have yet to learn the full extent.

Anyway, undaunted I purchased one of those Gangsters pasties today.

G-CPTN
12th Feb 2013, 19:52
When they state that a product contains X% horsemeat, how do they measure that?

Any sample taken from a batch is just that - a sample, and a sample taken from another part of the batch might have a different constituency.

:confused:

Milo Minderbinder
12th Feb 2013, 21:24
"undaunted I purchased one of those Gangsters pasties"

A proper Cornish pasty should be made with old mutton. Not beef (or lamb for that matter....)

500N
12th Feb 2013, 21:31
Mutton, lovely meat :ok:

The Aussie supermarkets have begun testing meat etc here
or asking suppliers what is what !

Should be interesting.

Milo Minderbinder
12th Feb 2013, 21:33
"Mutton, lovely meat"

You've been going to those Oz singles bars again, haven't you?

500N
12th Feb 2013, 21:42
Yes Milo, the over 50 singles crowd. I think they call it the "Mature singles" :O

Mutton dressed up as Lamb !

Re mutton - two tooth or maybe a 3 year old, very nice.
Some of the older one's can get a bit chewy if you cop
a bad one.

Milo Minderbinder
12th Feb 2013, 21:51
OK, going off at a tangent here, but its interesting how tastes change
Mutton is virtually unheard of in a butchers in the UK nowadays. Lamb, yes, but mutton, no. Most of it is exported to Europe. Those few UK sales tend to be in Muslim areas, where they seem to prefer the stronger taste. Theres a very noticeable difference in buying habits between white and muslim. Of course the really ropey stuff ends up as kebabs

reynoldsno1
12th Feb 2013, 21:57
Between lamb and mutton is hogget, which, I understand is becoming more common in the UK - 'tis a 2 yr old sheep, istr...

500N
12th Feb 2013, 21:58
"Of course the really ropey stuff ends up as kebabs"

and Cornish Pasties and pies :O

That is exactly why I like it, sweet slightly stronger flavour.
Need to leave the fat on it though.

Report in the media here that people in the UK are buying
up the "horse meat" stuff to try it !!!

Milo Minderbinder
12th Feb 2013, 22:11
reynoldsno1

there may be a naming confusion there, or a regional issue
up here a "hogget" is a fat ewe (or yow as they pronounce it)

G-CPTN
12th Feb 2013, 22:14
Glossary of sheep husbandry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_sheep_husbandry)

500N
12th Feb 2013, 22:14
Agree re different terms.

Most farmers I know call it "2 tooth"
but have heard Hogget.

Rail Engineer
12th Feb 2013, 22:51
In parts of Estern Asia (the *stan countries) horsemeat is openly sold and eaten as a delicacy.

Having been treated to a lunch of horsemeat I can say that it tastes quite nice actually.

Not quite sure how we have ended up with such a massive outburst of rage at the fact that it is horsemeat - is it anything to do with young girls and my little horse. Misrepresentation I can quite understand but there certainly seems to be a move towards a situation where no-one should be eating (knowingly) horse meat. Not quite sure the French would agree though, albeit practically anything that walks or slithers is likely to end up on a plate in a French restaurant at some time or other :)

G-CPTN
12th Feb 2013, 23:01
The guy in the German laboratory where they were testing the DNA of samples said that horsemeat was more expensive than beef so he couldn't understand the substitution, however sources in the UK suggested that a horse carcass could be obtained for one fifth of the price of a beef carcass.

I've continued to eat whatever I've bought, not caring whether the meat might be horsemeat . . .

500N
12th Feb 2013, 23:04
Misrepresentation is the key.

I don't think people would mind if they knew.
They might even buy it to try.

It's only a culture thing anyway.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th Feb 2013, 00:00
Supermarket giant Tesco trials a new TV and film streaming service called Clubcard TV, amid growing competition in the on-demand space.

Apparently the rap community are up in arms. 'Beef' was advertised as being shown at 10pm, but the movie turned out to be 'Black Beauty'.

They've been testing the beef over here in Canada

Global News (http://www.globaltoronto.com/health/burgers+sold+in+canada+dont+contain+horse+meat+tests+show/6442807572/story.html) reports that scientist at the University of Guelph tested hamburger patties at fast food restaurants and at grocery stores and found absolutely no traces of horse DNA within the meat.

Sounds like a European problem then, he says, trying to avoid looking smug, but failing dismally.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Feb 2013, 05:23
Mutton is strongly flavoured, thus good for curries. Nothing better than goat for a curry, though.:ok:

Pelikal
13th Feb 2013, 08:55
Hmmm, just noticed a Tesco Everyday Value spaghetti bolognese I put in the freezer around 10 days ago as a standby meal. I guess I have to assume it contains horse meat. Frankly, not too sure what to do with it now.

Love the packaging "only made with kitchen cupboard ingredients".

500N
13th Feb 2013, 08:56
Eat it, it won't kill you.

Pelikal
13th Feb 2013, 09:01
500N, yeah I guess you're right. Probably already had a few anyway!

Hydromet
13th Feb 2013, 09:06
"only made with kitchen cupboard ingredients" That'd be chipboard & hide glue.

500N
13th Feb 2013, 09:08
I hadn't thought of that.

The same probably applies to half the UK :O

Pelikal
13th Feb 2013, 09:17
Hydromet.

That'd be chipboard & hide glue. That's just about what the last one tasted of!:yuk:

Slasher
13th Feb 2013, 09:22
Can I just ask if glue is still made by melting down
horses? I recall poor ol' Boxer's fate in Animal Farm...

500N
13th Feb 2013, 09:27
I think it is in some places although a lot of horses go for dog food.

And with modern chemicals, synthetic glues are
probably cheaper to make.

Slasher
13th Feb 2013, 09:28
Ta. ..............

Hydromet
13th Feb 2013, 09:37
There are still places where I would only use hide glue. For example, on chairs, where you know someone will lean back and rack the joints, hide glue is the glue of choice because it will stick to itself. (So will epoxy, but it''s hard and strong, and will probably stay sound while the wood fails.)
Also, where you want it to grip quickly, Hide is the go.

A little known advantage is that if you leave the job sitting on the ground, your dog will clean up any excess glue. True - they love it.

500N
13th Feb 2013, 09:47
Hydromet

I use hide glue for sticking down the partitions and felt
in gun cases.

You can't use chemical glues as the chemicals can affect
the finish on the gun - rust it - which can be a rather
expensive mistake.

G-CPTN
13th Feb 2013, 10:56
The owner of the meat cutting plant in Wales (that was raided by the FSA yesterday) declares that his business is legitimate and above board and that the FSA are misrepresenting the facts.

BBC News - Farmbox Meats: 'No cross contamination here' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21441861)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th Feb 2013, 11:22
He may have a point.
If it's a crooked cutter, the FSA can claim innocence. If it's paperwork being switched around, it's much more likely to be the FSA at least partly to blame.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are looking for a scapegoat or two.

vulcanised
13th Feb 2013, 11:44
Seems to me the only real possible cause for concern is what the horse might have been injected/treated with during it's life.

stuckgear
13th Feb 2013, 11:56
Now it seems, from the knee jerk testing, pork derivatives have been found in foods not marked as such including halal branded. . A prison food supplier has withdrawn products because of pork.

bnt
13th Feb 2013, 13:03
I don't know who invented the idiom "horses for couises", but I think we can safely assume that he or she wasn't thinking about the main course ... :ooh:

Krystal n chips
13th Feb 2013, 15:29
You know it's time to get concerned when politicians enter the arena....and terms like "relentless" "full force of the law" etc, etc, Mail reader/ party members appeasement rhetoric starts to appear....as this invariably means that a suitable scapegoat will be found and, other than that, they hope it will all blow over and be quietly forgotten by the public as they really haven't a clue as to how to proceed.....hence the reason to be concerned.

Horsemeat scandal: David Cameron says offenders will feel full force of law | UK news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/13/horsemeat-scandal-david-cameron-food)

Have a look at the jokes in the side menu....

Finally, a possible new slogan for Tesco...." Straight from the horses mouth"....or any other bit of the anatomy for that matter.

G-CPTN
13th Feb 2013, 15:33
You can bet on T*sc*'s ready meals!

hellsbrink
13th Feb 2013, 15:38
Now it seems, from the knee jerk testing, pork derivatives have been found in foods not marked as such including halal branded. . A prison food supplier has withdrawn products because of pork.

Is that a new one or a Dave repeat of the same one from a few weeks back?

Anyway, you wouldn't buy a car that wasn't what they said it was, you wouldn't be happy if the "Genuine Levis" you bought in a sale were actually Chinese "Revis", why should the same standard not apply to food, to find out how widespread this whole thing is, to stop the adulteration of food with who knows what (want some long pig with your lasagne, sir?)?

Before we can figure out if this was an isolated "incident" or the discovery of something that has been going on for some time without detection (which I think it is), before we can get the cowboys out of the food production business, before we can be sure that nobody is playing fast and loose with our health, it has to be investigated. This is something that has already had repercussions across Europe, there's a hell of a lot more to come, I wouldn't call it a "knee jerk reaction" at all.

OFSO
13th Feb 2013, 15:53
Nver mind the horsemeat, what about finding this in your sausages:

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/cid_70BCD7886B7043678D5F0122641826F0LawPC_zps175d2b5f.jpg

stuckgear
13th Feb 2013, 15:54
indeed hellsbrink.. from what i hear it was the food distributor 3663.

it really is shitty when people who have specific dietry requirements religious or medical are misled by the distribution chain further up the line. of course i wouldn't be so bold as to say that 3663 or indeed any of ther other distributers are at fault, as they have also been decieved and mislead by the misrepresentation of what the product actually is.

indeed sir you are correct. this is not some issue of 'oh well no harm done its all edible' it is in fact flagrant disregard for the law and what is sold represented as one thing when in fact it is something else.

further to this, the horsemeat that has been mixed with other represented product is in fact cheap meat... no one is going to supply a more expensive product represented as cheaper product at their own cost so the cheap meat is more than likely product that is unfit for human consumption, ie it is untraceable or is subject to chemical additive and exposure that is not fit for human consumption (bute).

i'm with you on thi HB.. isolated incident.. no way.. it's been going for a while.

wings folded
13th Feb 2013, 15:56
It would be a matter of delight to find traces of pork in certain sausages sold as "pork sausages".

hellsbrink
13th Feb 2013, 15:57
Would be interesting to see what some random blood samples would show up in regard to strange toxins, chemicals, hormones and medicines being present.....

And that goes for vegetarians as well........

airship
13th Feb 2013, 16:26
Solid Rust Twotter wrote: Mutton is strongly flavoured, thus good for curries. Nothing better than goat for a curry, though. :ok: Must agree with you 100% :ok:

Real curries (as opposed to the "British" curries and take-aways most are used to today), require the use of the very poorest, sometimes ignoble and very often also the "toughest cuts" of meats (Ie. goat, and not lamb or sheep) etc. It's only with "slow-cooking" that the true richness and flavours of the meats and spices are able to come out...

Let's face reality. Ordinary chicken today has no more any notable natural flavour- it's simply become a bland, tasteless source of protein which invariably needs "spicing up" in order to be consumed. Much similar might be said about other meats / vegetables out there.

So far as horsemeat generally is concerned "British beef is once again safe to consume after all the past BSE scares nowadays, because it's 100% foreign horsemeat...?!" or summat like that. Hasn't stopped me from continuing to buy frozen UK Cornish pasties from my local "British supermarket" here in France and for my personal consumption, yumyum...?!

And so far as the €100s of millions that each EU country probably spends individually on food safety annually by themselves (totalling possibly € several billions EU-wide and needless repetivity, if only to safeguard national jobs...), I'm still somewhat flabber-ghasted that the UK government is currently even now seeking co-operation with other EU nations on the subject. I was under the impression that the UK recently wanted and intended to "go it's own way". Someone please clarify the UK's stance...?!

PS. Always believed that Findus, like Bird's Eye etc. were UK, not foreign companies (shows my age perhaps)...?! As for all the shennanigans - everyone blaming someone else as responsable etc. in the food chain. It's quite clear: whatever taxpayers throughout Europe pay into their own governments' coffers and towards their own food safety nationally, is currently being shown to be a complete waste of (our) money and governmental resources / management etc. The UK appears to be "leading the field" currently, demanding explanations of apparently "fraudulent activities" in the food chain they and other EU governments have always promised (or should be in UK since BSE etc.) they're managing on behalf of their citizens.

Yes, there's clear evidence of "fraudulent activity". We all thought our taxes were used to prevent this sort of stuff. But our national governments have apparently simply been sleeping "on the job".

Personally, I no longer blame everything on the French. In this case, I reckon that so many of our EUR / £ taxes merely go off into government tax coffers, increasingly paid out in over-generous pensions etc. for public servants and other elected officials. :mad:

Krystal n chips
13th Feb 2013, 16:52
"
Let's face reality. Ordinary chicken today has no more any notable natural flavour"

I would politely dispute that statement airship.

I am fortunate, very fortunate in fact compared to many, in that I have a choice of four butchers near me, all of whom sell quality produce.

The chicken I buy from any of these, does not ooze water / a sort of whiteish gooh or other substances, usually has bits of feather still attached and tastes nothing like the chicken in supermarkets....even the smell is real...one used to eat fresh chicken when one was "very young" and used to watch as ones dinner was going cluck, squawk, sizzle...whilst happily ripping the guts out of the now deceased at the same time.

Thus one is familiar with the aroma.

It's also a damn sight cheaper than the supermarkets !

airship
13th Feb 2013, 17:23
KnC, what part of: Let's face reality. Ordinary chicken today has no more any notable natural flavour- it's simply become a bland, tasteless source of protein which invariably needs "spicing up" in order to be consumed. did /do you not quite comprehend...?! :confused: Only, you started inordinarily "waffling on" about 4 of your local butchers offering quality produce etc. By all means, stuff those whose current means, conceptions and tastes of chickens are determined by the supermarkets, FSA, general food chains, EU politicians "on the take" from the big producers/distributors, and/or whoever else in this insane environment where "the police" usaully take very long siestas between trying to come to terms with the latest crisis (or BSE back 15 years or so ago).

wings folded
13th Feb 2013, 17:25
Real curries (as opposed to the "British" curries and take-aways most are used to today), require the use of the very poorest, sometimes ignoble and very often also the "toughest cuts" of meats (Ie. goat, and not lamb or sheep) etc. It's only with "slow-cooking" that the true richness and flavours of the meats and spices are able to come out...

Real curries can be made with whatever is authentic to the region.

That can be goat, mutton, lamb, seafood, beef, pork or no meat at all.

There is after all not one real indigenous Indian curry, but many thousands.

What is served in many Indian restaurants in Britain is an adaptation to perceptions of taste, and jolly nice it can be too, just as it can be truly dreadful.

goudie
13th Feb 2013, 18:06
Breaking news! Traces of beef have been found in horseradish sauce.:eek:

Milo Minderbinder
13th Feb 2013, 18:45
"Real curries"?????

Surely the point of the spices was to make old tough stinking rancid meat palatable? Young animals would be needed for breeding / milk / wool, so only the old / injured / diseased were eaten. And with no refrigeration......

One of the worst meals of my life was a basement restaurant under the last building then left on the site of London's Broad St station. It was a Persian owned business, complete with overweight belly dancers, and the menu consisted of ripe goat in as many forms as you could imagine. I wanted to vomit with every mouthfull

500N
13th Feb 2013, 18:55
Milo
"I wanted to vomit with every mouthfull"

What the hell did you keep eating it for then ?

Wasn't one mouthfull enough ?

Milo Minderbinder
13th Feb 2013, 18:59
peer pressure.......I was a junior with a bunch of headcase company managers on an after-exhibition piss-up. They were eating the shite as a sign of bravado, and in my youthdom I was too scared to tell them "no" - it would have dented my career prospects. All bollocks I know, but they were a bunch of **its

500N
13th Feb 2013, 19:06
Ah yes, the same one's who play drink everyone under the table
the night before the show / exhibition starts so they end up
feeling and looking like crap for the next 3 days in front of
customers :O

Milo Minderbinder
13th Feb 2013, 19:14
you got it in one

Slasher
13th Feb 2013, 19:15
I know the feeling - you get an invite to a mate's place and find his missus
can't cook for shit. I suddenly invent things I'm allergic to - like meat made
out of concrete, unknown sticky mashed green stuff that looks (and tastes)
like something the dog threw up, and a dessert I'm sure had someone's raw
kidney in it.

Fortunately I wasn't "allergic" to the salad or the liquor!

G-CPTN
13th Feb 2013, 19:18
I wanted to vomit with every mouthfulI had the same experience in Italy.

It was late December - just before Christmas, so no tourist places open - on the very southernmost tip of Italy.

I reasoned that the locals had to eat somewhere, so we sat in the car on the quayside until we saw a guy enter an unmarked door in the town wall. We followed him, and it was a restaurant (no windows).

I decide on paella, expecting prawns and fish with rice, but it turned out to be only my hated calamari.

Hunger almost overcame the retch-reflex as I concentrated on the rice rather than the calamari . . .

Slasher
13th Feb 2013, 19:25
...but it turned out to be only my hated calamari.

I don't mind calamari - just don't mention brussels sprouts! http://serve.mysmiley.net/sick/sick0025.gif

Evil little balls from Hell!

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Feb 2013, 05:39
It's all edible. At the end of the day it's just fuel.

You figure this out reet quick the first time you open a tin of "liberated" beef which appears to have half a cow's face in it, complete with shattered jawbone, teeth, ears, skin with the hair still attached and other less recognisable bits.

Krystal n chips
14th Feb 2013, 05:49
Sir Humphrey " Ah, Minister, allow me to guide you here. The intention Minister, when talking to the press and indeed the voters....you may recall these from a few years ago ?...is to instill confidence Minister,not if you will excuse me for saying so, flogging the proverbial dead horse in your message "

Catch up - Channel 4 News (http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/)

Watch the "inspirational" interview in the lower items menu, Owen Paterson.

You are permitted to laugh / cry/ jeer as applicable.

B Fraser
14th Feb 2013, 11:11
Have we all been watching what we eat ?

Boss of slaughterhouse raided in horsemeat scandal 'has deal with Aintree' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/9869448/Boss-of-slaughterhouse-raided-in-horsemeat-scandal-has-deal-with-Aintree.html)

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2013, 11:39
Meat and documents were seized from Peter Boddy’s farm and slaughterhouse in Todmorden, West Yorkshire, this week, and Farmbox Meats Ltd, near Aberystwyth, which he supplies carcasses to.
Mr Boddy, 63, owns East Hey Head Farm in Todmorden. His brother Ian told the Mirror that the farmer ‘has his fingers in a lot of pies, he does all sorts’.
From:- Horse meat scandal: Raided abattoir has deal to remove carcasses from Aintree | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/14/horse-meat-scandal-raided-abattoir-has-deal-to-remove-carcasses-from-aintree-3476461/)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Feb 2013, 11:43
‘has his fingers in a lot of pies,

Well, somebody has to ask it first - are any checks being made for human DNA?

Rail Engineer
14th Feb 2013, 11:46
I love it.

You really couldn't make it up, could you ! :D :)

Nice one G-CPTN

pzu
14th Feb 2013, 13:16
I don't subscribe to the usual conspiracy theories (JFK, 9/11 etc) BUT I must admit that when this story first broke a few weeks back, my first thoughts were of some form of criminal conspiracy and this was reinforced by the news that some of the principal players had links with Dungannon

From my limited knowledge Dungannon is an area that is renowned for Agricultural shenanigans, Red Diesel scams plus activities that frequently attract the attention of the Security Forces of both the UK and elsewhere!!!

Am I being paranoid???

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

cockney steve
14th Feb 2013, 13:45
Pedant on.....Todmorden's in Lancashire....pedant off

Random SLF
14th Feb 2013, 13:52
Okay I'll fall for that one CS - Todmorden is in Calderdale, West Yorkshire, although it does have an Oldham (Lancs) postcode. At the time I lived there (in the mid sixties) the Lancs/Yorks border ran down the centre aisle of the town hall!

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2013, 14:14
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has announced that the horsemeat saga will run and run.

No doubt there will be a few hurdles to jump before it is declared over.

pzu
14th Feb 2013, 14:17
cockney steve Pedant on.....Todmorden's in Lancashire....pedant off

I did say "when this story first broke a few weeks back ...." I refer to the original TESCO burger scandal!!!

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2013, 15:52
Horsemeat scandal: Dutch meat trader could be central figure | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/13/horsemeat-scandal-dutch-connection-romania)

Meanwhile the BBC are reporting today that consignments arriving from Romania are clearly labelled with codes identifying horsemeat as horsemeat and the problem seems to be due to relabelling in France, Belgium or the Netherlands.

Saturday's news:- The horsemeat scandal shows the true extent of Europe (http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/politics/8844521/the-horsemeat-scandal-shows-the-true-extent-of-europes-power-in-britain/)

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2013, 16:03
BBC News - Horsemeat scandal: France blames processor Spanghero (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21464052)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Feb 2013, 16:39
...so we should be checking for frog DNA as well? :E

I still blame the supermarkets. Set up a long supply chain, demand low prices and wait for someone, somewhere to do the dirty.
..and of course, everyone who buys it and doesn't care where it comes from.

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2013, 17:21
BBC News - Three held in horsemeat mislabelling investigation (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21466074)

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Feb 2013, 17:28
Shock! Horror!

Human DNA found in Welsh sheep.

AlpineSkier
14th Feb 2013, 17:35
On TV news, French company Spanghero is to be charged with fraud for selling horse as beef. This is the company that supplied meat to the Luxembourg factory that produced the lasagne/moussaka etc.

radeng
14th Feb 2013, 17:37
Twotter,

I didn't know that New Zealand sheep had been imported into Wales!

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2013, 18:11
Asda has withdrawn fresh Beef Bolognese meat product.

G-CPTN
14th Feb 2013, 22:35
BBC News - Horsemeat: French ministers claim company 'changed labels' on meat (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21464287)

dead_pan
14th Feb 2013, 22:46
I'm sorry but is horse DNA that difficult to detect?

Yet another example of a systemic f*ck-up by the UK food industry and regulators.

Oh, here's an extract from a job ad for a Meat Hygience Inspector:

Meat hygiene inspectors make sure that meat is safe, and that its production and processing satisfies hygiene laws.

As an inspector, your work could involve:

inspecting the hygiene in slaughterhouses, cutting plants, factories and cold stores
checking animal welfare conditions
inspecting live animals, game or poultry for any signs of disease
carrying out post mortems on diseased animals
checking meat transportation conditions
making sure that unfit meat is destroyed properly
recording the findings from your inspections
recommending any improvements that need to be made
making sure that improvements are carried out.

You could work in the food trade, for the government's Food Standards Agency (FSA) or with veterinary officials.

Funny, no mention of checking that the meat is from the animal the producer says it is. One would have thought this would be rather important, no?

Milo Minderbinder
14th Feb 2013, 23:10
PZU

you may want to look again at your post re "Dungannon"
the reason I say that is because Dungannon Meats - aka Dunbia - are a large producer of processed meat and - as far as I'm aware - no one so far has suggested they are involved in this problem. My contacts who know them say they have a rather hard-nosed reputation from a business point of view, but what big company doesn't?
What you said could just possibly be bordering on libel....be careful

reynoldsno1
15th Feb 2013, 00:28
•inspecting live animals, game or poultry for any signs of disease

so, what is the distinction between animals and game/poultry?

Hydromet
15th Feb 2013, 01:56
so, what is the distinction between animals and game/poultry?
Well apparently Oscar and his girlfriend were on a hunting trip when, it being St. Valentines day, she, naked, woke him up and started making overtures, despite the lions nearby.
"Are you game?" asked Oscar. "You bet." she replied. So he shot her.

vulcanised
15th Feb 2013, 11:54
Strange that I've seen no mention of McD's anywhere throughout this.

Perhaps due to their litigious inclinations?

500N
15th Feb 2013, 11:58
vulcan

You have to have meat to start with before you can substitute it :O

El Grifo
15th Feb 2013, 12:02
Everyone knows they have always been the "Lips and Asshole" brigade :ok:

Lon More
15th Feb 2013, 12:10
Farmbox Meats has gone into liquidation. New company, same directors, started trading as Horsebox Meats

Erwin Schroedinger
15th Feb 2013, 16:40
Does horse meat give you the trots? :uhoh:

Edited to say: 'Great, just seen the same gag on the Friday Jokes thread.' :hmm:

sitigeltfel
15th Feb 2013, 19:47
From Dutchnews.nl

Amsterdam steakhouse boss admits selling horse for 63 years

Friday 15 February 2013
Amsterdam steakhouse Piet de Leeuw has been selling horse fillets as beef for 63 years, owner Loek van Thiel admitted to the Parool on Friday.

On Thursday, Van Thiel had denied the charges, saying the cafe only sold South American beef. The Parool had various pieces of meat tested and concluded the cafe's popular steaks were horse.

Van Thiel came clean on Friday, saying the cafe has sold horse since 1949 when his father, a horse meat butcher, bought the premises.

Staff at the cafe have a contract which states they are not allowed to say anything about the use of horse. 'I've never considered saying 'horse steak' on the menus,' he said. 'People enjoyed their food, business was good, so why should I?'
© DutchNews.nl

Milo Minderbinder
15th Feb 2013, 20:02
I see its turning up in pub meals now.....brings a whole new meaning to visiting the "Nags Head"

Fox3WheresMyBanana
15th Feb 2013, 20:10
Will the French now start referring to the English as "Cheval haché" ?

Milo Minderbinder
15th Feb 2013, 20:44
what I find interesting in all this is the way in which it exposes the two-faced approach many people have to the animals in their lives
Its becoming clear that many of the horses which end up in the foodchain are effectively family pets which have become too old, too ill, outgrown (by teenage daughters) or simply have been lost interest in. So off they go to the knackers yard to be converted into meat, a nice end to a family friend.
Yet if you suggested selling your kids pet cat or rabbit to the local chinky takeaway, the repulsion and furore would be impossible to ignore.

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2013, 21:15
So off they go to the knackers yard to be converted into meat,All horses must end up there - it isn't permitted to bury them in your garden.

ShyTorque
15th Feb 2013, 22:00
Strange that I've seen no mention of McD's anywhere throughout this. Perhaps due to their litigious inclinations?

I don't think there's been any evidence that their McMuffin the Mules are anything other than advertised.

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2013, 22:09
Calls have been made for the Food Standards Agency to be beefed up . . .

gileraguy
15th Feb 2013, 22:51
McD's uses ground up old dairy cows.

It's not really food, but you CAN eat it...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
15th Feb 2013, 22:52
Ideal for Next Christmas - My Little Pony Abattoir Set

blueplume
16th Feb 2013, 07:36
MSN story today:

"We'll never know how many ate horse".

We'll never care how many ate horse. Horse meat is perfectly good for you.
Mislabelling is against the law and carries sanctions with it.
The fact that horsemeat was consumed as beef is not the problem.
People should be far more concerned about the rest of the processed shit found in ready meals.

The meat identity is the least of people's concerns. Everybody who has ever eaten in a Chinese or Indian restaurant will have eaten something they thought was chicken but was either cat, dog, even rat or snake. Didn't stop anybody liking it and going back.

AlpineSkier
16th Feb 2013, 08:16
The fact that horsemeat was consumed as beef is not the problem

You're right as far as that goes blueplume, but the reality is that people who are crooked enough to do that, won't worry about buying even cheaper illegal meat ( diseased/roadkill ) and chucking that in too.

500N
16th Feb 2013, 08:20
"Horse meat is perfectly good for you."

Everyone knows that but if the horse is not raised for human
consumption it could have been pumped full of all sorts of
chemicals that wouldn't be allowed in Cattle etc.

AlpineSkier
16th Feb 2013, 08:42
Few comments earlier on about French consumption of horsemeat. Have just read that it only represents 0.3% of French meat sales or 300 g/pp/year. I am surprised it is so low as my local Carrefour sells it and would not have thought they would do so for a slow-moving product.

Mechta
16th Feb 2013, 13:05
Have just read that it only represents 0.3% of French meat sales or 300 g/pp/year.

...unlike the UK, which we now know eats closer to 300 GGs/pp/year... :}

bridle
blanket
stable door...

cavortingcheetah
16th Feb 2013, 14:00
What a marvellous excuse for the British government to explain negative attitude! The country has become a nation of neighsayers!

Dunky
16th Feb 2013, 14:05
McD's uses ground up old dairy cows.

It's not really food, but you CAN eat it...

I've tried McD's, I thought it was fowl.

stuckgear
16th Feb 2013, 14:16
I've tried McD's, I thought it was fowl.

no.. that's KFC... :}

Krystal n chips
16th Feb 2013, 16:13
Maybe this is what the FSA / supermarkets and producers need......:E

CAUTION!!.....taken from the UK's murder capital county and may cause the BP of Tories and Mail readers ( all one category ) to rise to A&E admission levels....also contains shot of horse...alive. :p

Midsomer Murders - Country Matters (kinky part).avi - YouTube

rogerg
16th Feb 2013, 16:46
Tories and Mail readers
I and most other Tories dislike the Mail.

wings folded
16th Feb 2013, 17:07
What has the FSA (Financial Service Authority) got to do with whether we are eating horse passed of as beef, or tadpoles passed off as lamb cutlets, or braised bat wings passed off as prime rump beef?

What has the FSA (Food Standards Agency) got to do with being sold dodgy credit swaps, subprime packages, all kinds of weird derivatives?

No wonder the whole thing is a mess.

Can we not get back to common sense. Please !!

Milo Minderbinder
16th Feb 2013, 17:34
"I and most other Tories dislike the Mail"

thats a funny statement considering the Mail's target audience is the right wing wooly stocking wearing tweed skirt and brogues horse-riding hunt mamas from the home counties clitorati, along with their Sloanie daughters.
I presume you mean to suggest that the tories don't have many women in their ranks?

cavortingcheetah
16th Feb 2013, 17:55
The Daily Mail is a newspaper directed at those of the British working class who can read. The Mirror on the other hand performs as a substitute for those graduates of the British state school system who are less than semi literate. Most of what you read in either paper is horse feathers.

500N
16th Feb 2013, 19:50
cavortingcheetah

And could you please give me your summary of what that superb Bastion of journalism, The Sun ?

G-CPTN
16th Feb 2013, 20:50
It was once said that readers of the Sun didn't care who governed the UK as long as they had big t!ts . . .

Rail Engineer
16th Feb 2013, 22:10
Under its current Editor, the Daily Mail has changed out of all recognition from what it was in the 70s and 80s.

The paper's editor has long valued Tony Bliar and particularly held a light for Gordon Brown, something which would make any true Conservative retch.

The paper is clearly suffering from some sort of Idealogical crisis as there is no way you can assert it is a Conservative paper at heart. I think we are going to have to wait for the present Editor to go beforte we can make a judgement as to where it really sits.

For all the criticism one hears about the Daily Mail from its detractors, it remains one of the highest selling newspapers and the fact that its detractors know so much about what is inside has to raise questions about why they take such a close interest in it, as most normal people who take a dislike to it simply ignore it.

Personally I dislike the Mirror intently for its hypocritical ways and I would not even use it for toilet paper, so I completely ignore the rag and on that basis I dont have a clue about what pooh it publishes.

Its never been clear to me why and how the detractors of the Daily Mail seem to be so highly aware and able to post articles from there regularly if they are so disgsuted by it. I am sure a psychiatrist will be able explain this strange behaviour.

rogerg
17th Feb 2013, 05:40
Milo. I dont like the Mail, but do like The Telegraph, now thats a proper Tory newspaper.
tories don't have many women in their ranks
My wife likes the Mail and she is UKIP Just shows that you cant always judge people by the newspaper they read. Whats your choice?

cavortingcheetah
17th Feb 2013, 07:09
500N
I believe that the Sun is used in Britain for fish and chip wrapping paper mainly because the ink is of higher a higher quality than that of the Socialist Worker and doesn't corrupt the fish quite so quickly?
Of course, in this surmise I could be wrong and it is possible that the primary global demand for the Socialist Worker is in Afghanistan where the supplies of Bronco run low and the Black Bottom dance has become a hot entertainment favourite of the troopies in Bastion?

edited to add: There may be some who remember the days when the Mirror reflected some excellent intellectual capabilities under the penmanship of Cassandra.

stuckgear
17th Feb 2013, 07:17
ahh but one must remember that for our dear Komrade, regular reader of Socialist Worker, that the Grauniad is viewed as right wing.

500N
17th Feb 2013, 07:32
cavoortingcheetah

Thanks, your summary of the UK newspaper is very good.

You should write a book or comedy :ok:

I remember very well fish and chips served in
newspaper like The Sun.

cavortingcheetah
17th Feb 2013, 07:35
The Guardian.

As illustrated by its female correspondent, a remnant of an illustrious historical and scientific family, who contributes twisted horse manure of a vicious and toxic nature to the deranged soapbox of what used to be JET's pulpit.

Sidereal information for the mass readership.
Manchester Guardian founded by John Edward Taylor in 1821 as a reaction to some reasonable behaviour or other in the part of British cavalry troops in putting down a mutinous rabble. The connection with horse meat continues?

Lon More
17th Feb 2013, 07:38
the Mail's target audience is the right wing wooly stocking wearing tweed skirt and brogues horse-riding hunt mamas from the home counties clitorati, along with their Sloanie daughters.

.... and that's just the men.

sitigeltfel
17th Feb 2013, 08:53
It was once said that readers of the Sun didn't care who governed the UK as long as they had big t!ts . . .

...........and politics has a fair number of tits (and dicks) in it ranks.