PDA

View Full Version : Astra SPX vs Learjet 45XR - Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan missions

cptrico
7th Feb 2013, 15:19
Hi guys, any thoughts which one is better for Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan profile missions? Any idea appreciated! :)

Astra SPx
7th Feb 2013, 16:39
Well, the Astra SpX / Gulfstream G100 has my vote over the Lear. You need to give us more information on route legs, pax numbers, baggage loads etc.

Mach .875 Mmo, FL450, sips fuel (1400 lbs/hr) with a great turn of speed. Large baggage hold, APU etc.

Much better than a Lear 45 IMHO. A better cabin and a lot more range.

cptrico
7th Feb 2013, 17:45
2500 - 3000 NM, not too much baggage and usually 4 to 6 PAX. One stop over is ok. We have to count with a poor ground support. I heard lots of issues on Astra :uhoh: Don't know if Lear will be safer for this missions :rolleyes:

CL300
7th Feb 2013, 18:32
Astra Spx, great plane on paper, I hate the ergonomics, the Skydrol, the awfull look, the boots, the duck walk on wet and short runways. I like the extra fuel tank, the rate of climb, and this is it.

The Lear 45 XR, is a no brainer, but the cabin is somewhat smaller, all depends on the owner perspective of things. I do not trust Astra Support.

This was free advice, because you are not saying if the aircraft is supposed to stay over this part of the world, or if it is going to commute elsewhere. This might be the decision making point. :cool:

Astra SPx
7th Feb 2013, 18:48
CL300, have you actually operated an SpX? The boots are a non issue, she picks up very little ice. Skydrol issues? What's the issue? A well maintained system gives no issues. As far as not trusting 'Astra support', it's Gulfstream, not IAI who support the aircraft. Do you not trust Gulfstream? They've been fantastic with us.

2500nm is a non stop flight in the Astra/G100. Obviously, pax/cargo/fuel trade off.

FWIW, were based in an area with very poor support also. We've only dropped one flight in five and a half years of operating this type. She's a tough old bird.

mattman
7th Feb 2013, 18:58
Have a great G100 for sale.

Great airplane highly underrated and bullet proof, just need to know how to handle her.
Ugly as Betty. :p

ksjc
7th Feb 2013, 20:49
We operated 2 Astras...the classic Spx without APU..for 13 years. Very reliable for us. As mentioned...de-ice boots look goofy but rarely used and never an issue.

Good range. We made many Calif-Hawaii crossings over the years and could make KSJC-EINN with 1 stop. Biggest gripe would be the smallish cabin during these long flights.

One issue that was problematic for us was operating in some Middle East countries due to the Astra's Isreali origin. The fact that it's now a "Gulfstream" and the world's in a different geo-political climate might make this a moot point but operations to/from Egypt were difficult and Saudi was not possible in the 90s.

Been out of the mid-size game a long time so have no idea about support of these older frames.

CL300
8th Feb 2013, 04:47
i flew early modelof Spx around SN 80. In the States it is no issues at all. However, in the above mentioned countries, i will not bring an aircraft in which fluids and technology are not to the best suited .
In these trouble times, ( may be it had changed since 2000), i am not playing in a muslim area with an hebrew scripting all over the plane. But this is me.
We did fantastic flights on the SPx.

Astra SPx
8th Feb 2013, 05:54
One issue that was problematic for us was operating in some Middle East countries due to the Astra's Isreali origin. The fact that it's now a "Gulfstream" and the world's in a different geo-political climate might make this a moot point but operations to/from Egypt were difficult and Saudi was not possible in the 90s.

We operate in exactly that region. Egypt is our second home! We've taken her to Azerbaijann, Beirut, Congo, Jordan, UAE, Qatar, Uganda, Turkey, Ukraine, Israel, Sudan, Yemen and more all without a problem. Never landed in Saudi but overfly it often - no issues.

Been out of the mid-size game a long time so have no idea about support of these older frames.

The Gulfstream support is fantastic.

i will not bring an aircraft in which fluids and technology are not to the best suited .

Fluids and technology not best suited?

hebrew scripting all over the plane.

Not on ours.

cptrico
8th Feb 2013, 07:48
we plan 3 to 5 days trips. I hope days changed and situation in this region is much more stable and support is better. We really like Astras' good range and reliability. But a little bit worried about IAI support and expensive parts.
I hope smaller cabin is not a big issue.

Learjet 45XR has great DOC, $1.500 against $2.500, and great support. Range is not such a big deal, we cam make an over stop ldg.

What now.... :confused: :ugh:

cldrvr
8th Feb 2013, 08:50
There is no way you are going to get a 45's DOC down to $1500 an hour, you may want to revisit your numbers.