PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your property with CCTV.

gingernut
7th Feb 2013, 07:27
Escalation of house and shed break in's of late prompted me to think about installing one of these fangled "CCTV systems."

As ever, it all seems a little confusing to this Luddite.

DVR's/Hard Drives/DVR's without hard drives. (Which suits best?)-I have a "spare" WD hard drive that plugs into the usb socket on my laptop. Sometimes away from the house for weeks at a time.

Definition....D1 ? What definition is accepted as evidence by the courts ?

To have motion detection or not ?

How does one view the images ? Can the machine plug into a telly ?

Happy to climb ladders and mount camera's etc, but 'aint much good when it comes to fiddling with things in boxes.

Are they generally any good, and can I get sorted for under 2 hundred quid ?

Many thanks, ginge;)

A A Gruntpuddock
7th Feb 2013, 07:31
Whatever you get, you will have to factor in the price of a secure storage place or they will just nick the recording device as well.

27mm
7th Feb 2013, 07:34
Try A--z-n, Ginge, lots of good value stuff there, with ratings. :ok:

500N
7th Feb 2013, 07:41
Ginge

Also worth having a look at GAME CAMERAS.

You can get them damn cheap from the US,
they only take photos or video when activated
and can be concealed in bushes etc so the person
doesn't know they are being filmed / photographed.

They are also infrared so no flash.

If you don't know what I am talking about,
go to Cabelas.com and type in game camera.
That will give you a start.

Plenty of forums around with examples of photos
and video taken with them - although mainly of
animals but the principle is the same.

Hope that helps.

ExXB
7th Feb 2013, 07:46
I'd look at off-site storage - can you stream to something like MEGA? They give 50GB free and you can get more for a monthly fee.

Or you could do as I did. Get some of those fake cameras and put them up. They look real nice along side the fake security alarm box I installed earlier. Get some of those fake security notice stickers too.

They are not obviously fakes, but an expert would be able to tell the difference at a glance, but a casual black-hat isn't going to know the difference, or risk it if they're not certain.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Feb 2013, 07:54
Points to consider
1) If the resolution isn't HD, it's unlikely any pictures will be useable in court. I speak from experience (at work).
2) Check with your local crime prevention bobby.
3) I would suggest you are better off trying to catch them in the act (alarms) or, as ExXB says, use fakes to ward off the casual thief. Once they've nicked it, you are unlikely to get it back and the likely sentence, even if your pictures convict them, will not deter them much. They'll probably be back round to key your car when they've done their 3 months watching daytime TV.

500N
7th Feb 2013, 08:14
Fox3

"1) If the resolution isn't HD, it's unlikely any pictures will be useable in court. I speak from experience (at work)."

Could you please explain why the above is so ?

Ovation
7th Feb 2013, 08:17
I sourced 2 wireless IR cameras from Ebay and stream to my All-In-One Desktop, recording all activity with WebCam XP5 software. I also use an Auto-Delete program that bins the large files it generates every 14 days.

It is important to set the sensitivity of the cameras and use software to mask the recording area so that you don't end up being alerted to branches blowing about in the breeze. You will end up with huge files if you are not careful.

The other thing I did is pay a little extra to my SP to have a fixed IP address, which allows simple access to the cameras from anywhere in the world, provided I have internet access.

As has been suggested by Mr Gruntpuddock, the computer is vulnerable to theft and so any recorded events are stolen with it. If you were to mount the external HDD in a safe location connected with an extended USB cable, whoever nicks your computer will probably be in a too much of a hurry and unplug the cables without tracing where they go, and disappear out the window without taking the evidence as well.

Another option to consider would be directing your recorded video to a remote file storage such as Cloud or DropBox, but the files get BIG quickly.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Feb 2013, 08:20
A school I was working at had security cameras which took quite a few images of a thief. The Police saw them and told us they were of insufficient quality for a conviction and needed to be higher resolution. I'm suggesting HD, but as I say, check with the local Crime Prevention Policeman. He will know what the current standard is.

tony draper
7th Feb 2013, 08:30
Main advice,get a cctv camera that looks like a cctv camera,and install it where it can be seen, 99% of CCTV is as a deterrent,you dont want a tape of your place being screwed,you want a tape of the scallwags taking a look seeing the camera and buggering off to do someone else's place.
:=

500N
7th Feb 2013, 08:40
Fox

I agree, some of the CCTV stuff is crap quality,
especially when you know what else is available.

My main experience is with game cameras and
for a couple of hundred $$$, I could never understand
why the images were so good yet thousand dollar
CCTV stuff is crap (some of it anyway).

tony draper
7th Feb 2013, 08:50
Loads of good second hand pro cctv stuff on ebay, but you need some tech knowledge with that,plenty of small outside dome CCTV cameras,bought nearly all my CCTV on ebay.
Analog CCTV seems to be finished it's all IP stuff now so plenty of perfectly good analog kit available that will do the job.

Cameras/ CCTV/ Sensors in &CCTV%2520Camera%2520Features=Colour%7CWired%7CWireless&Type=CCTV%2520Cameras | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cameras-CCTV-Sensors-/66738/i.html?_dcat=66738&LH_ItemCondition=3000&CCTV%2520Camera%2520Features=Colour|Wired|Wireless&Type=CCTV%2520Cameras&LH_PrefLoc=2)

lomapaseo
7th Feb 2013, 09:12
Living in a regulated Golfing community brings its trial and tribulations.

The residents have to use a gate pass to get in, Of course if you go fast enough behind someboy you can avoid using a pass and beat the cross arm. For safety purposes it does use and eye to raise itself up if you linger under it. But its all a matter of timing.

When somebody mistimes one of these they get fined 250$ for damage caused.

This is now working quite well when they installed HD cameras capable of identifying people and vehicles and publishing for all to see.

Here's an example

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/embed/fcKMw4EZH7M?feature=player_embedded)" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bluecode
7th Feb 2013, 09:16
I saw a piece on TV about a company called netwatch. I love the idea of it. The use monitored cameras and loudspeakers. So if they see someone acting suspiciously outside a premises. They shout at them: 'You there with the shotgun, yes you. The police are on the way.'

The odd thing is that the company is based in County Carlow in the middle of Ireland but they watch places all over the UK and the US. Probably costs a fortune though.

All a bit big brother. But effective apparently.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Feb 2013, 09:20
I agree. The loudspeaker is a key part. The miscreant needs to know they are being watched, and, more importantly, that the Rozzers are on the way. Couple it with a decent microphone and accidental trespassers, delivery guys, etc can be helped also.

Sallyann1234
7th Feb 2013, 10:23
I have security cameras to protect my office. To give you an idea, D1 is about equivalent to VGA resolution on a computer and anything less is useless.

As far as police are concerned, they will use any pictures you can provide to assist in an investigation but are reluctant to rely on it as evidence in court. This is because it is too easy to alter or fake video recordings including their time and date. A smart defence lawyer will be able to discredit 'home videos'.

OFSO
7th Feb 2013, 13:27
I've got CCTV front and back on my house, no storage medium though, but a monitor where I can see it when watching TV.

Drift: I got to the Club Nautico in Empuriabrava this morning, every window in the place has had stones chucked thru them including the shops, dentist, estate agents, which comprise the same premises. Was done during the night. The owner was not only too mean to have CCTV's placed on the outside, but also too mean to pay his staff for the past two months (which include the marina staff) and one draws one's own conclusions as to who did it. The consequences of his parsimony will be the next set of insurance premiums he has to pay.

Once again, very true what a number of people have said: fake or real cameras placed obviously. Oh and an alarm that you set off "accidently" now and then.

Another Drift: there's been a great increase in violent crime here recently, and I now lock the security grill on the front door at night.

Incidently members of some ethnic groups are terrified of dogs and a PIR triggering an electronic doggy barker inside your house is a good idea.

The late XV105
7th Feb 2013, 13:49
The odd thing is that the company is based in County Carlow in the middle of Ireland but they watch places all over the UK and the US. Probably costs a fortune though.

Before moving premises, we were turned over a number of times until using a service like the one described (though the command centre for ours was an old bunker in London and we were in the Home Counties). It worked, too, and between being installed and moving out a couple of years hence, we were never turned over again. Several warnings-off through the loud speakers but no actual break-ins.

I remember turning up on a Saturday morning to unlock the premises prior to an employee social function and on dropping the keys to the door being greeted with "They are behind the bollard" from the camera and loudspeaker assembly above my head. :)

flying lid
7th Feb 2013, 14:08
This crew will sort you out a class alarm !

phoenix nights - car alarm - YouTube

Lid

vulcanised
7th Feb 2013, 14:18
If you have a Makro near you, they have been heavily promoting a range of CCTV cameras/recorders recently.

unclenelli
7th Feb 2013, 16:56
Be wary of cameras with in-built IR illumination (usually an array of LEDs set around the camera lens). Most don't have enough light to cover the range of the camera. Fine in daylight, but crap at night!

Consider some dedicated IR floodlights.

tony draper
7th Feb 2013, 18:09
Indeed dont go for the one's that claim to be day/night cameras but use IR LEDS, true day/night cameras switch over to black and white at night but unless you have some street lighting nearby you will need some form of illumination,street lights emit a lot of IR and light my cameras up as bright as day.
:)

Airborne Aircrew
7th Feb 2013, 21:22
Be wary of cameras with in-built IR illumination (usually an array of LEDs set around the camera lens). Most don't have enough light to cover the range of the camera. Fine in daylight, but crap at night!

Consider some dedicated IR floodlights.

Bingo...

Gingernut:

PM me if you want to know how I set mine up... Low on expense, rather effective on detection and warning...

ExSp33db1rd
7th Feb 2013, 21:52
They are not obviously fakes, but an expert would be able to tell the difference at a glance, but a casual black-hat isn't going to know the difference, or risk it if they're not certain.

I put a fake box with a red light high up under the eaves, with a fake makers name on it, many years ago when living in the UK. My neighbour later asked what to do if she heard the alarm go ? I told her to ring the Bishop and declare a miracle !

Now I have a little black box with a flashing LED light in the corner of a window frame - I change the two AA batteries every couple of months.

gingernut
7th Feb 2013, 22:19
Thank's Chap's..