PDA

View Full Version : Itchy and Scratchy in Karachi

lids
19th Apr 2002, 21:46
Latest RAF FMB Karachi has already claimed 3 unlucky malaria victims. Begs the following questions.

a. What are we doing there?
b. With so many detachments to Malarial areas, how long is it safe to take malaria tabs. 1 year /2years?
c. Should one be unlucky enough to contract malaria what is the knock on effect on a career in civil aviation?

bigdog1971
20th Apr 2002, 08:00
Im hearing you! Does anyone know of any cases of aircrew longterm effects from taking Doxy tabs for malaria?
Crews in Timor are taking Doxy for up to 6 months straight, this can't be good!

ewe.lander
23rd Apr 2002, 20:22
Lids,

Do you know if the 3 hapless people concerned took P&C as the RAF prescribe? I'm allergic to that regime so take Doxy, my Aussie mate swears by it. I think Doxy used to have a 3 month limit on it.

Karachi - great place, great people.........not!

Chimbu chuckles
24th Apr 2002, 14:41
During my time flying in PNG, 13 years, I never took anti malarials because they do have side effects........hearing and/or eye sight from memory......hmmm maybe memory as well:D

I did catch Malaria 5 times and a mild case of Denghi. I had Vivax Malaria 3 times and Phalciparum (sp?) twice.

Vivax is your 'classic' Malaria. The 'cure' for this one was a big dose of Cloriquin tablets, 3 only cause 6 will kill you!

Phalciparum is what can become 'Cerebral Malaria' if left untreated for much more than a few days and kill you in a week or so. 'The 'cure' for this one was a quinine injection, quinine tablets for a few days and then another tablet called fansidar which is almost worse than the malaria........I've never felt worse for 20 odd hours but it completely kills the bug out of your system.

As far as I'm aware there is no such thing is a true 'anti malarial', i.e. one that will stop you contracting it, all they can do is 'reduce the severity' of an attack. They also can mask the result of the blood test leading to a false negative.

If you take 'anti malarials' constantly as a prophelactic your body builds up an immunity and therefor reduces their effectivness as a 'cure'.

Having suffered Malaria has never been an issue as far as my ATPL is concerned.

I'm not a Doc........only a pilot but I hope this info helps.

Chuck.

prang one
26th Apr 2002, 17:20
Going back to my Uni days appart from flying and drinking I did a paper on this very subject.
I can not remember the exact details but this is the best I can offer??

Continued us of Anti Malaria drugs is not good for your body. In fact they are just a lower dose of the same drug that will be used to TRY and kill the parasite if you get it. These drugs are very toxic thus one hopes they kill one of the 5 forms of Malaria that kills humans , but your kidney/liver does not like it much .

As stated above resistance is caused by continued/bad use of anti malarials. Post WW2 has seen a growning rise in resistance which is now at a peak with the wonder drugs of the WHO Meflaquine,cloriqunin,quinine ect are all but ineffective even in the treatment stage were high doses are used. Malaria is thus one of the prime problems of the WHO in this day and age.

So what to do ?
Drink plenty of GnTs with dare I say it more tonic

Good use of Bed nets and bug shirts. Wash these items in a high solution of DEET and dont rinse. Thus they will not even like to land on the nets.
And of course bug juice with a high conc of DEET.

As for ATPL I have no idea . I have never heared of anybody lossing there med for having malaria or taking anti malarial drugs.
However liver and kidney problems could be an issue

Sorry about the speljing and I hope the info helps

lids
27th Apr 2002, 20:09
Not confirmed but rumour is the guys who caught malaria had not been taking their p and c tabs. Advice from the meds is that p and c actually works in Karachi. However have to say I have travelled to some dodgy parts of Africa and been given Doxy as a more effective tab. Word is that doxy is more expensive. I am more concerned about the prolonged use of tabs On the AT fleet just now there is a constant need to be taking the tabs. I have decided not to bother. I am following a massive do not get bitten routine. U nfortunately I have also been told that tonic no longer contains quinine...... Thanks for the replies especially about the Civil Aviation stuff.

Jambo Jet
27th Apr 2002, 21:30
I have done Karachi and the mossies are something else, the worst Ive seen. However I always wear long trousers and sleaves to the amusement of most. I get bad mouth ulcers from the anti malarials the RAF prescribe and therefore dont take them. Best advice. Stay covered and sleep in a net with deet

StopStart
28th Apr 2002, 16:31
Agree with Jambo; the mossies were quiet spesh! :) That said, after the first few days I found that I wasn't really being bitten too much (apart from in the TV room in the evening where all the mossies go to hide from the sprayer man!)

By far and away the best repellant you can get is some local stuff sold in one of the hotel shops - Mr Khan's place, second on the right. I have no idea what's in it but it was fantastic (made in the UK). Tell him Mr Simon sent you :)

EESDL
29th Apr 2002, 11:55
Forget about the Mossies......have they sorted out the E-coli that is available on demand from the shower system?
I guess we've only been there since Jan, so guess not then!
Advice received;
"It's safe to shower, as long you haven't got any cuts/grazes or open any orifices!"

Banggearo
29th Apr 2002, 13:16
Opening orifices in the shower!!!

You really have been away too long:eek: :eek: :eek:

StopStart
29th Apr 2002, 16:43
Ah yes, Mr EESDL.....
The horrors of Karachi have reduced somewhat since you left (there is believed to be a direct correlation between the two events by the way). The E-coli has indeed gone and, according to the lab reports the tap water is now fit for drinking. A ho ho ho.

I did manage to pick food poisoning whilst there however that was acquired during a mercifully brief stopover at HQ Middle East Air Force. How I got time to get food poisoning what with all the form completing, sand bag filling, kerb stone painting rubbish that goes on at that place I'll never know.

BG - I thought you would've known Mr EESDL better than that? Away for a few months? Sounds more like a standard First Night Frenzy for him.

EESDL
1st May 2002, 08:41
Lies get half way around the world before Truth can get it's pants on!
BG Hear you've forgotten where home is?
Must be enjoying yourself too much.....

SS, nothing, wheels just arrived:-)

Banggearo
1st May 2002, 11:09
The place is Fab!! the wit and banter of my compatriots not so good and the beaurocracy is worse but having a great time when I'm here. Drop me an email, SS has the details.

Hope you enjoyed Akronelli, god I miss Kebab and Kochinelli and as for drinking within 3 days of flying, well that's a thing of the past.:( :( :(