PDA

View Full Version : And you thought you were a sky god ...

SeenItAll
6th Feb 2013, 12:24
Albatross named Wisdom astounds scientists by producing chick at age 62 - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/albatross-named-wisdom-astounds-scientists-by-giving-birth-at-age-62/2013/02/05/f46a68a6-6fc5-11e2-8b8d-e0b59a1b8e2a_story.html?hpid=z5)

She is described as awesome. And wonderful. And maybe a little weird. She is the world’s oldest known living wild bird at age 62, and she produced a healthy chick that hatched Sunday.

Just as astonishing, she has likely flown up to 3 million miles since she was first tagged at Midway Atoll at the end of the Hawaiian Island chain in 1956

Albatrosses mate for life, suggesting that Wisdom probably had to find a new, younger mate maybe twice down the line.

treadigraph
6th Feb 2013, 12:43
Better keep Ancient Mariner away from this thread!

Ancient Mariner
6th Feb 2013, 12:48
Too late, actually I love those birds, could watch them for hours.
Now then, there's another AM around these shores, but I'll let him speak for himself.
Per

bcgallacher
6th Feb 2013, 13:12
I believe that in the Northern Isles of Scotland we have the only albatross in the Northern Hemisphere -years ago it must have got lost and ended up there. It lives with a colony of gannets and appears to have forgotten its an albatross.
Now somebody is going to post that there are thousands of them in the Northern Hemisphere!

BOAC
6th Feb 2013, 13:22
If being a sky god means impregnating a 62 year old bird, no!