PDA

View Full Version : Do you apply for a job if you don't meet minimum requirements?

fungi
6th Feb 2013, 10:48
Just wondering:
Do you apply (applied) for a job if you don't meet minimum requirements?
If so - any of you was able to land in airline?
This question is to all of 250TT guys not 1500TT ones ;)

Thanks for your answer.

Nearly There
6th Feb 2013, 11:18
Fungi, I had an interview last year with an airline that stated 500hrs as the min, I had 300hrs, didnt get the job though. You've got to be in it to win it and it costs nothing to apply.

fungi
6th Feb 2013, 12:03
Thanks Nearly There. Good advice. So far, when i see min500 TT i just close the webpage. Now I will try more, and will not give up so quickly :)

finswe
6th Feb 2013, 12:35
Hi,

I have applied to some 500h and 1000h jobs. Not yet have got any answers, though.

RTN11
7th Feb 2013, 09:31
What's the point?

The first filter is likely to be a receptionist type person who simply has a crib sheet with all the requirements. S/he will bin any cvs that don't meet the grade, then pass a suitable pile onto the chief pilot or recruiter or whatever, so they don't have to waste their time sifting through people who don't even meet the job requirements.

ChrisA87
7th Feb 2013, 10:11
Not aviation but I landed an IT job and didn't meet the minimum qualifications.

Explained in the covering letter why I thought I'd suit the job. Had a phone call the next day with an interview date.

I'd say do it, I'm sure they'd rather have a better character with less hours than a 500+ hr barsteward.

mad_jock
7th Feb 2013, 13:07
Just go for it. It will just go in the bucket if they are really that fussed.

If you don't apply you won't even have the chance to be filed in the bucket.

Gazeem
7th Feb 2013, 17:19
Apply!

You have nothing to loose but a couple of hours work and data/paper.

I ignored 1500hrs and a type rating when I had 500 hours and got the job - to meet guys with 200 hours on the course.

TypeIV
7th Feb 2013, 20:18
Apply and make an extra effort on the other stuff to stand out:ok:

Ty-Fry-Typhoon
8th Feb 2013, 06:03
Depends on the application type, if it asks to post or e-mail your CV I will, and like someone said give a good covering letter why I would be good for the job despite not meeting the requirements. If (as most now seem to be) an online application I don’t bother as there always seems to be a filter which will pop up with "sorry, we cannot take your application any further" message.
My fav was BA, “Sorry we cannot take your application any further as you are overqualified”, never thought being an FI with 550 odd ours would put me in that category LOL!
In two and a half years I’ve only had one phone call about a possible job, that may be coming up soon fingers crossed and that was down to the old fashioned sending off the CV with a letter, as someone else said you’ve got to be in it to win it, good luck to you and everyone else!

fungi
8th Feb 2013, 12:06
Thx. Everybody for your answers. I'll apply Then, even for 1500 and TR positions. As you said, I think I have nothing to loose?

Halfwayback
8th Feb 2013, 15:47
I'm glad you got the help you asked for and good luck!

HWB