PDA

View Full Version : Movie "Flight"

nitpicker330
6th Feb 2013, 07:25
Anybody else seen this movie?

Technically it was crap, flying a 717 ( with Hollywood winglets installed ) inverted at 500' AGL for 15 to 30 seconds is BS. GPWS pull-up warning sounding at FL300!!
Notice the Aircraft crashed into the ground and stopped in less than 100' :D

It painted Pilots in a bad light: drug taking, drinking on the job and sleeping with the cabin crew!! :{

2 out of 10 from me...:hmm:

Mods:- not sure if this is the correct forum so feel free to move it :ok:

Username here
6th Feb 2013, 07:41
Asking for power (and getting it) well after pulling both fire handles...:ugh:

Pushing it to Vne to get out of sever turb...really?

Completely agree with you mate - showed promise, left very disappointed!

nitpicker330
6th Feb 2013, 07:49
The opening scenes with the full frontal Female nudity was the only highlight of the movie :O ;):p

Yep, the rest was crap.

lk978
6th Feb 2013, 07:53
Drugs, booze and women...

I'd call that 2 out of 3 :ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
6th Feb 2013, 07:54
The FO was a pussy....:rolleyes:

PRAISE JEBUS!:}

Actually the accident was based on Alaska Flt 261, which did roll inverted.
The aircraft and airline are a composite of types so as not to be related to any particular one specifically.

Relax. It's a movie, not a documentary.:cool:

Lord Spandex Masher
6th Feb 2013, 07:58
Asking for power (and getting it) well after pulling both fire handles...:ugh:

Pushing it to Vne to get out of sever turb...really?

Completely agree with you mate - showed promise, left very disappointed!

Now I'm not sure about the MD80 or whatever was in the film but the 146 engines would run for 2-5 minutes after pulling the fire handles. :ok:

Water Wings
6th Feb 2013, 07:59
I saw it in the States. It IS NOT a movie about flight or flying. It is a movie about a man coming to terms with his demons and whether he should be judged for his actions or judged for the results.

Technically full of B.S. but watch it for what it was intended for, not a doco on flying.

nitpicker330
6th Feb 2013, 08:03
The 146 hasn't got real Engines!! :}

Yes the RB211 ran for 2 mins at idle on the ground after pulling the handle.....

The Movie obviously went to great lengths to use a Simulator ( of some description ) and a good cabin simulator as well. They could have easily made the rest a bit more realistic and believable but then again it is HOLLYWOOD and they are only interested in making money....

Yes the FO was a real woosy.....

Lord Spandex Masher
6th Feb 2013, 08:22
I only posted to point out that the film was more accurate than some people thought and he has a go at the 146.

You're a bad man:ok:

nitpicker330
6th Feb 2013, 08:27
:E

Not to forget that after pulling both fire handles they still had all Electrical power and normal Gear and Flaps too.......oops..

DH164
6th Feb 2013, 08:34
Anyone who went into it thinking there was going to be an absence of Hollywood bull**** was delusional. Putting the bull**** aside it was an entertaining movie.

Lord Spandex Masher
6th Feb 2013, 08:34
Well, on the 146 you'd still have two engines left:p

avconnection
6th Feb 2013, 08:45
At least this was a fictional movie, has anyone watched those "I shouldn't be alive" crapfests? If you read any of the official reports its not anywhere near as dramatic or life-threatening as suggested.

nitpicker330
6th Feb 2013, 08:48
My beef is with the stereotyped way it shows Pilots...

- Sleeping with the girls on the layover
- Jumping into the seat and saying "lets push" makes us look like we do nothing
before departure, it's all easy there is nothing to do.
- doing drugs and drinking at work....

This does nothing to help our cause with Joe Public at all.....we look like over paid over sexed cowboys....:ouch:

Jack Ranga
6th Feb 2013, 09:04
Incoming..........................:eek:

VH-XXX
6th Feb 2013, 09:19
we look like over paid over sexed cowboys

I don't see any issue here.

Roger Greendeck
6th Feb 2013, 09:40
And being called 'sir' by the crew. The only time I get called sir is when I go to McDonalds!

travelator
6th Feb 2013, 11:05
Get over it.

Perhaps it would have been more entertaining to show 45 minutes of planning and checklists, maybe a 15 minute discussion about the relevant NOTAMs rather than all that sexy entertaining stuff.

It IS NOT a movie about flight of flying. It is a movie about a man coming to terms with his demons and whether he should be judged for his actions or judged for the results. :D

Centaurus
6th Feb 2013, 11:34
but the 146 engines would run for 2-5 minutes after pulling the fire handles.

For the 737 Classics about 15 seconds

Checkboard
6th Feb 2013, 11:53
The FO was a pussy....:rolleyes:

You think he should have been a bit more like this one? :

Copilot slaps Pilot while Flight Engineer watches - YouTube

:}

To put context to the above, the aircraft had a fuel leak and was running seriously low on fuel. It was crossing the coast inbound to San Francisco airport, and the Captain had two choices - ditch in the bay, while still under power, or fly over land to the airport with the risk of running out of fuel on the way resulting in a (more severe) crash on land.

The engineer was tasked with working out the rate of loss of the fuel, and calculating an endurance to see if the airport was a realistic option (which is why he is asking for "a few more minutes" to complete his calculation).

The Captain is in favour of ditching, the FO in favour of risking pushing through to the airport.

The Captain decides that the engineer's calculations are taking too long, and orders the ditching.

The FO disagrees, and slaps him about - they go to the airport. :)

CRM at it's best! ;)

SpyderPig
6th Feb 2013, 12:16
Anyone who went into this movie without reading reviews before hand and thinking its all about planes and flying is well misinformed. Overall a loooong movie, but a good story about someones addiction to alcohol and the typical events of an alcoholics life (family loss, drinking while at work, lying to cover up your problem etc), regardless of profession.

While the flying parts were entertaining (for the record I am a working GA pilot studying atpls hence no understanding of the sequence flown etc etc) they are just that, entertaining. If you think that life as a street racer is like the fast and the furious you belong in the same padded room. Pilots get painted into to what ever image Hollywood feels will rate the best at the time. Would this movie really get any viewers if it was about a steal mill worker??? I think not.

Its just a movie, relax. Your next ex-wife isn't basing anything off of this ;) :ok:

Ps. Top Gun did worse for our image anyway lol.

remoak
6th Feb 2013, 12:17
Now I'm not sure about the MD80 or whatever was in the film but the 146 engines would run for 2-5 minutes after pulling the fire handles. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Hmmm that's interesting, last time I pulled the fire handle in a 146, it stopped immediately... the engine that is, not the 146 :cool:

kingRB
6th Feb 2013, 12:27
I thought the movie was quite realistic.

I regularly smash some lines of coke to bring me out of a drunken stupor before going and flying in command high capacity RPT

flyinkiwi
6th Feb 2013, 20:40
The opening scenes with the full frontal Female nudity was the only highlight of the movie http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif:p

Certainly made me want to be a pilot! :p:}:E

Alex757
6th Feb 2013, 20:53
I did enjoy this film, for its detailed exploration of the character and his addictions. Even as an teenage flight sim nerd, I spotted many mistakes in the realism of the flying scenes, and others in this topic have pointed some out, but the flying made up a tiny amount of the film, and overall it was still enjoyable to watch!

Trojan1981
6th Feb 2013, 23:40
I regularly smash some lines of coke to bring me out of a drunken stupor before going and flying in command high capacity RPT

Most pilot's can't afford coke, you must be a legacy Qantas driver :}

truthinbeer
7th Feb 2013, 00:53
I seem to recall that Flying High wasn't very accurate either.
"They could be miles off course!". Steve McKrosky (Lloyd Bridges character) shoots back: "That's impossible! They're on instruments!"

Ixixly
7th Feb 2013, 01:54
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-L0rSF6lZxyU/TmEVAicMXQI/AAAAAAAAAN0/POr3_f5K0Qc/airplane_instruments.jpg

Hahaha...brilliant movie!

Stationair8
7th Feb 2013, 02:03
I liked the way he made use of the Jeppesen charts.

truthinbeer
7th Feb 2013, 02:11
Now there is a new name for someone....IFR. Pity we can't have visual avatars, the picture would cap it off.

mauswara
7th Feb 2013, 20:47
Could this be a modern day remake of Cliff Robertson's 1979 movie "The Pilot" See youtube "The Pilot" -movie trailer-1979.That was good entertainment.

ChrisJ800
8th Feb 2013, 11:05
I thought it was quite accurate except for that tap shape handle that had to be turned 180 degrees to regain 'manual control' :hmm::ugh::yuk:

Modesetter
8th Feb 2013, 19:18
I thought it was a good story, obviously apart from the techincal details.

I must admit, I do tend to pick out the faults in aviation movies/shows :*

Denzel Washington did a great job as he usually does, and with the more frequent news stories about drunk pilots etc, you can almost believe this could happen one day.

The biggest thing i learnt from the movies was to always check the door to the adjoining hotel room to see if you get a free mini-bar :}

Wally Mk2
8th Feb 2013, 22:38
I haven't yet seen this flick but by all accounts I think I'll keep an open mind about it. Remember though the movie is for the general public, the masses as they know no better, not just a few stray pilots:-)
Anyway it appears by what's bin written here it's more about the good 'ole days.....the do gooders have wrecked any chance of it ever being fun anymore:-)

Wmk2

puff
9th Feb 2013, 04:50
Unrealistic, it was pissing down rain and he didn't make the effo do the walk around ! :)

allthecoolnamesarego
9th Feb 2013, 05:46
Wally

You are joking right? 'the good ol days' meant flying pissed?

I flew in 'the good ol days' and flying pissed was certainly the least 'good' bit about them. I seriously hope you don't condone being in charge of an aircraft carrying passengers, whilst 'under the weather', from the night befores activities. If you do, may I suggest you find another occupation (one where people aren't relying on and trusting you) where you can get pissed as much as you want.
Aviation has no place for people like you who think that it is ok to be under the weather whilst flying.
I am not sure you entered the right field of work, if the only 'fun' thing about flying was getting wasted on overnights..

As for the movie, it is NOT about flying, it is about an alcoholic dealing with his demons. The fact that he is a pilot, is only the 'vehicle' used to tell his story.

PLovett
9th Feb 2013, 07:55
After watching the trailer for Flight I decided to go and see Zero Dark Thirty instead. Better choice all round.

Eclan
9th Feb 2013, 07:56
...the movie, it is NOT about flying............ The fact that he is a pilot, is only the 'vehicle' used to tell his story.

Not so. Would you see the film if the 'vehicle' was a bank manager or a garbo? No, you want the juice so Hollywood uses a contentious type like a heart surgeon or........ a pilot.

The R/T was arguably quite realistic. Arguable because although there was plenty of correct phraseology, American pilots rarely use it. Where was all the "...okaaaaay, unnerstand down ta two five ohh, and switchin ta twenny three an a quarter..." Etc.

He should've blamed the dead hostie. She wouldn't mind, he could've stayed out of jail AND still beat his demons.

Compylot
9th Feb 2013, 09:39
This movie should be banned. Full stop.

It is nothing short of an attack on the professional and moral ethics that we have all strived to achieve through many thousands of hours of hard work, study and sacrifice.

I myself have already been at the receiving end of abuse from members of the public as a direct result of this film.

On my way home from the airport last Thursday I had to divert into a Coles as I had forgotten to take out my dinner from the freezer.

While there I noticed some young girls pointing and snickering at me from across the frozen food section but at the time thought nothing of it (I have become quite used to members of the public and particularly young girls sometimes staring at me if I happen to still be in work uniform.)

Anyway, it wasn't until I was in the cereal aisle picking up a box of pop tarts that I heard snickering again behind me and it was the same young ladies, one of whom then stated for all to hear "Oh look he must have the munchies, just like Denzel from the movie Flight!" to which they all burst into laughter.

I have never EVER EVER been so embarrassed in all my life. It felt like everyone in the supermarket was watching me and judging me thinking that I was some sort of drug fiend.

I agree with you allthecoolnamesaregone, I hope that Wally is in jest, I would be disgusted to think that he would be serious about emulating such unprofessional behaviour.

Keg
9th Feb 2013, 09:49
http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/2334b524748d4006b733440ccedc1c9e/http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd377/shiverness/random/troll.png

Probably a large helping of each! := :E

haughtney1
9th Feb 2013, 10:14
Note to self.....always carry a breath spray....
Supplimentary note....coke is another hangover cure...:E

Gate_15L
9th Feb 2013, 10:14
Compylot...

You mean to tell us all that you went shopping in your pilots uniform at Coles to pick up chicks... enough said, dry your eyes princess, you got what you deserved... PML

allthecoolnamesarego

Good grief.. prime example of the do gooder wally was on about.. I bet you sit by with your finger on the PTT ready to yell "Your on Guard!" all day.....

It's a movie, i.e work of fiction... build a bridge.. get over it....

Square Bear
9th Feb 2013, 11:13
Gate_15L

Just as a guess I'd say compylot is just taking the p**s.

To the movie, I watch a lot of movies in a lot of different cinemas but gotta say, whilst Denzel acted well, as he usually does, the movies didn't entertain me that much.

Not because of the plot, the aviation connection, the obvious stuffups etc, just really seemed a todays movie twist on an old plot for making a today movie.

IMHO there are better movies to sit back with the bag of popcorn...and while away the stopovers.

j3pipercub
9th Feb 2013, 11:16
Guys, look at the guys post history...

Compylot, same thing happens to me, but it's usually because I forget pants.

j3

DADDY-OH!
9th Feb 2013, 11:22
The most realistic bit I thought I saw was the trashed hotel room... right up until I saw the emptied mini-bar.

Not a bottle of cheap beer or wine from a local 'offy' or 'liquor store' in sight.

Watching that film was 2 hours of my life that I will NEVER have again.

J0N0
9th Feb 2013, 11:33
It was actually a realistic insight into a day in the life of your average airline pilot, more like a documentary than just a movie!
;)

SgtBundy
9th Feb 2013, 12:12
As an IT guy, you all now know how I feel watching anything out of hollywood involving hacking or that has a computer featured in any part of the plot. The do things the general public has a vague concept of but no real idea, then wrap it up in some drama and flashy graphics.

sisemen
9th Feb 2013, 14:44
As a GA pilot I was MOST disappointed that we didn't see the 172 in the air :E

Slasher
9th Feb 2013, 16:24
Flight - watched the first hour of it then switched it off. :yuk:

Checks's High and the Mighty - watched it once and keep watching it at least
once every 3 months or so! :ok:

I'm Driving
9th Feb 2013, 22:18
Best mini bar I've ever seen.

theedmancometh
9th Feb 2013, 22:28
Denzel's character was an ex-Navy pilot, who pulled off a remarkable feat of flying that other experienced pilots couldn't recreate in the sim, and was turned into a 'hero' by the press.

Anybody else see some parallels between 'Whip' and Chesley Sullenberger?

Avgas172
10th Feb 2013, 01:19
I have never EVER EVER been so embarrassed in all my life. It felt like everyone in the supermarket was watching me and judging me thinking that I was some sort of drug fiend.

At 22 years of age you will have plenty of time to achieve this feat, when I learnt to fly one removed his/her uniform coat or bars when attending such
mundane tasks as shopping, going to the local or having a couple at the aero club bar thus becoming annonomous to the general public, I suspect you were being a bit of a w@nker by flashing your bars so live with it. :suspect:

who_cares
10th Feb 2013, 03:29
I guess that's what happens when you wear your uniform wings and all into the shops

Fris B. Fairing
10th Feb 2013, 04:02
Anybody else see some parallels between 'Whip' and Chelsey Sullenberger?

No actually.

Nor with Chesley Sullenberger for that matter.

ChrisJ800
10th Feb 2013, 04:22
Stick an old jumper over the uniform and ditch the raybans and you're joe public. A worse movie is Fortress. Really is a waste of time, no drugs or nudity and 10 times more aviation errors than Flight.

allthecoolnamesarego
10th Feb 2013, 09:52
allthecoolnamesarego

Good grief.. prime example of the do gooder wally was on about.. I bet you sit by with your finger on the PTT ready to yell "Your on Guard!" all day.....

It's a movie, i.e work of fiction... build a bridge.. get over it....

Gatey,
Actually no. I am not interested in people who make a call on guard by mistake. I can see the difference between that (and even a deliberate chat on 121.5) as a non-event, a minor thing.

I do however think making a call on Guard an flying with a hangover or under the influence are VERY different things.

Wally's comments about the 'good ole days' were not about the film (who cares about that movie) but about the 'do gooders' who frown on flying pissed. :uhoh:

I think I am a level headed individual who will listen to arguments (I've even changed my stance on some issues after listening to fair and balanced arguments:) ), so without any sarcasm, I ask you to justify flying pissed or hungover. Is self control really that hard?

Please don't bundle an opposition to flying under the influence as somehow being a 'do gooder'.

I am genuinely interested in your response. A PM will suffice if you would like to discuss this off line.

:ok:

Slasher
10th Feb 2013, 16:13
(I have become quite used to members of the public and particularly young girls sometimes staring at me if I happen to still be in work uniform.)

I suspect you were being a bit of a w@nker by flashing your bars so live with it.

Suggest you at least remove yer epaulettes and wings before shopping Cadet Lot.
Takes about 15 secs and saves a lifetime of derision and ridicule by your peers. :hmm:

allthecoolnamesarego
11th Feb 2013, 08:10
Gate_15L, or even Wally Mk2,

Would either of you mind responding to my previous post?
I am not trying to be a stirrer or a troll, I am genuinely interested in your response after calling me a "do gooder", because I questioned wether flying under the influence (or after a big night) is really acceptable.

I assume neither of you would drive with your family in the car after drinking a lot, so would genuinely like to know how you justify either flying (or looking the other way, whilst others fly) with passengers on board. Passengers who, queit rightly, expect their PROFFESIONAL pilot to be in complete control of their faculties, and to be obeying the the law. Is it simply because the chances of being caught whilst flying are less than those of driving?

The old days are gone, and yes, there are times I should have spoken up about crew members who were not up to the task, however, endorsing this kind of behavior though the misty eyes of the 'ol days' is irresponsible and should be questioned at every stage.

I believe I have put forward my position and look forward to you response.

:ok

Towering Q
12th Feb 2013, 01:26
I guess that's what happens when you wear your uniform wings and all into the shops

What about the Spud Shed at Jandakot....is that OK?:O

T28D
12th Feb 2013, 01:59
Spud Shed not cool, deserves derision

The Bunglerat
12th Feb 2013, 02:04
Whilst Compylot's post provided me with one of the best laughs I've had in a while, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate for a moment: I've been in the supermarket with off-duty police officers, ambo's & various other people for whom a uniform is part of their job description. I don't stand in the aisle, thinking the cop's a w@nker because he ducked into the shops for a litre of milk on the way home - & (gasp!!!) didn't de-identify himself. It's his job, big hairy deal!

And no, I don't go down the local on a Friday night, dressed in my regalia, trying to pick up chicks. That said, if I did quickly run into the local Coles to grab a loaf of bread for the wife to make lunch for the kids the next day, I really couldn't give a **** what people think about how I'm attired. I'm not embarrassed about what I do for a living, but neither am I trying to impress anyone either. I'm not that precious - unlike many others on this forum who are. ;)

Fantome
12th Feb 2013, 02:07
There once was a tiresome middle-aged fart in my airline. He married late. An Asian.
She expected him to wear his uniform all the time. They got married with him in it. Also when shopping . .. he pushed the trolley for her . . . up and down the aisles,. . . . not always resisting the urge to salute anyone in any form of uniform.

Maybe she expected him to wear it to bed. There may have been no other way that she could be aroused.

Yet he was never conceited. Only totally without humour. As I told here a while back in the context of the following exchange, he was not just naive. Gormless comes to mind.

Being such an excruciating pain to fly with he always got the most junior FO for a month . . then the next . . and the next. Walking up to the carpark in a group one day he was heard to ask his poor drained and spiritless FO . . . ' Have I ever asked you, why do you always want to fly with me Ron?' . . . pregnant pause . . 'Because Frank, I have no say in it. NO SAY IN IT AT ALL.'

On epaulettes . . .. one of our mob was called out on reserve day with the request get here ASAP. He put on his bars en route to Mascot. Pulled up in the car park . .. leapt out only to tear the RH shoulder tab out of his shirt.

You got it. Be careful buttoning up this bit while wearing a diagonal shoulder harness.

In the movie 'Red Dog' there is the scene of the crowded swill in the mining camp (or maybe the Karratha Hotel). The extra who plays the part of a pilot. . . and probably is in real life . . .. doesn't say anything .. . . but is just caught up in the press. . . .glancing at the camera . .. the gold glinting on his shoulder.

Didn't get any uniform... not even a shirt . . . when I did a stint with one of the WA earth moving companies at the start of the iron ore mining boom.

mattyj
12th Feb 2013, 02:37
Its a tough one..if you are fit, skinny, born smallish, a girl etc..you won't be able to metabolise as much alcohol as quick. If you drink a lot your liver will adapt to some extent and you will metabolise it faster. If you are a lightweight and binge drink you probably should only do it on your first night off...?

MyNameIsIs
12th Feb 2013, 04:42
Want a good movie?

Go watch "Turbulent Skies" :}

nitpicker330
12th Feb 2013, 09:43
Maybe the wearing of uniform insignia and epaulettes outside work needs a separate thread. :ok:

Back to the topic of the Movie Flight please.

Another colleague of mine today expressed the same feelings that the Movie only further degrades our professional standing in the eyes of Mr and Mrs Public.

ie over paid drunk flight attendant rooting coke snorting glorified Bus drivers...

Thanks Flight.

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Feb 2013, 10:24
Do cops feel the same way about "Super Troopers"?
Do nurses feel the same way "Young Doctors in Love"?
Do pilots feel the same way about "Flying High"?

'cause apparently they do about "Flight".:rolleyes: fark......:ugh:

nitpicker330
12th Feb 2013, 12:30
Do cops feel the same way about "Super Troopers"?
Do nurses feel the same way "Young Doctors in Love"?

Sorry I can only give my reaction to this movie with regards to Aviation.