PDA

View Full Version : IMC Really Needed 4 Me

FlyingSpanner
19th Apr 2002, 20:50
To all out there, I am just about to take around 18 months unpaid leave to get all of the stuff done up to Frozen ATPL. I am still trying to keep costs down however and need all of my pennies for the IR section when it eventually comes round.

Therefore my question is this. Does anyone really think that an IMC rating is required if all of the hours building is to be done in the states, and since I wont be flying much during ground school I can get away with not doing it? OR Do others feel that the introduction to the instruments that it gives you is worth the hit just for the experiance?

Looking foreword to the response

Spanner ;)

A and C
20th Apr 2002, 19:55
I found the IMC rating one of the hardest things to do in flying and i,m glad that i did it as sood as i could after the PPL and then kept in practice.

This ment that when it came to the IR it was just polishing up the flying skills but not much new to learn.

I would advise you to do the IMC as some IF skills may well help if you unintentionaly paint your self into a corner.

simshield
21st Apr 2002, 05:43
Hi Spanner

If you are going to hour build in the States an IMC is of no use to you (only valid in the UK). Get 150 hours and do a FAA IR. It will give you a lot more flying time when the WX is IMC.

wobblyprop
22nd Apr 2002, 12:56
I'm pretty sure that the IMC doesn't count towards the JAA ATPL. I think it used to get you some discount on hours with the CAA CPL.

Having said that. I enjoyed doing it and made me a more acurate pilot as a result.

FlyingSpanner
22nd Apr 2002, 13:35
Gents, thanks for the info. I am going to go with A anc C on this one and use it as a prelim to the info for the full IR stuff and hope that it will reduce the learning workload when it comes down towards the end.

Unfortunatly I know that it does not count towards any hour reduction any more and that it can only be used in the UK. If it helps with the final exams then it will be money well spent.

A and C - I am 2. An OSE for BA at the moment, hopefully a career change but still working for same company. Well I live in hope :D
Did you find it helpful?

Regards Spanner