PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! PPL BOOKS/EQUIPMENT NEEDED!!!!

Pilotz
18th Apr 2001, 16:06
Hi, Im 14 years old and training for my PPL, I am currently upto circuit level but with little money & finding it hard to just finance my flying lessons i am finding it difficult obtaining the cash to buy the equipment needed to continue my PPL, If anyone has any PPL Equipment such as Trevor Thom Books, Confusers, Maps, HEADSETS!!!! I urgently need a headset! And any other equipment anyone can offer me please let me know asap . Thankyou so much for all your help....Yours,Simon

Pilotz
18th Apr 2001, 22:45
PLEASE! Anything at all will be a great help !! Thanks....

Pielander
19th Apr 2001, 03:41
Pilotz

Top marks for starting early! I'm sorry I don't have any expendable equipment, but I do have a bit of advice (from experience).

I've no doubt that your early flying experience will stand you in good stead for later in life, but am I right that you will not be able to go solo until you're 16? This sort of limits how far you can progress with your PPL for (at least) a year. Getting to circuit level is probably as far as you can go without risking wasting your time at this stage. If you want to brush up your flying skills, why not go gliding or something until you're old enough to do a proper PPL course? The nav stuff is mostly procedural, and it's best done all at once, intensively. Even if you did the rest of your 45 hours now, you'd have forgotten most of it by the time you were eligible to take a flight test.

It sounds to me like your flying school is taking advantage a bit, cos there's no way that this is the most efficient way to get a PPL. Save your pennies and get some quality hands-on experience in a glider. It's much better value, and possibly more use to you, given your situation.

Email me if you want to chat about this.

Pie.

SKYYACHT
19th Apr 2001, 19:16
I would offer a word of advice here....I know that when money and funds are tight the temptation is to buy/beg/borrow other peoples text books, but the problem here is that many things change, such as symbology on charts, procedures, references, and legislation, (Ie., Old PPL, JAR/PPL new proposed NPPL etc). I would strongly suggest that you wait until you are ready to sit the writtens, and then buy books that are up to date and reflect the syllabus material that you have to learn. The library may be a good place to start. Naturally, there are some things, such as theory of flight/basic aerodynamics that dont change, but exercise caution. Cant help with any kit, but I hope that helps some!

Tailwinds