View Full Version : European Airspace Vs. Asian Airspace

GAZ45
4th Feb 2013, 11:31
I am curious to know if any experienced pilots can address my experiences as a regular passenger in Asian airspace, particularly in China.

I have noticed that in European/US airspace, aircraft are sequenced very tightly during the approach phase of flight, and particularly in UK airspace (obviously LHR), the hold is used often.

During my time as PAX in China, it has occurred to me that the aircraft are lined up for landing a huge distance away from the airfield (even if it means flying a long way in the wrong direction to the airfield to get sequenced for approach?!). I have also noticed that I have never been in a hold (racetrack style) during flights in Chinese airspace.
Also, during my regular time flying in and out of Beijing Airport, I realsied that there is a huge gap between departing/arriving aircraft (up to 10/15 minutes in some cases). Flights seem to be consistently late.

Why is this? Does anyone have any experience in this airspace? Is it the overload of airspace there? or is the ATC not to the standard of European ATC?

It seems as though the Airspace there is consistently like the M25 on a Monday morning?!