PDA

View Full Version : Quatermass and the pit

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2013, 07:44
1955 version.

I'm confused. I was a fairly good telly mender by the time I saw this. Indeed, I fixed my telly in a record breaking time when an EY51 failed at a crucial moment. They had to be soldered in, so I got me little mate to get the iron as I pulled the chassis out. It was all done in about 120 seconds.

Now, if I was all set with the knowledge and parts, it must have been around 1957. It was on B&W telly, so unlikely to be a repeat . . . was it?

Also, this version looks subtly different from my dimming memories. Were there two before the 1979 colour version?

The very telly on which it was watched.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/EchoTV-1.jpg

Quatermass and the pit 1955 part 1.avi - YouTube

tony draper
4th Feb 2013, 07:56
There was a movie made of Quatermass and the Pit be in the late sixties probably,that was in colour,not a patch on the telly version,terrified a whole generation of us ragged trousered urchins that did.
I still refuse to use the underground specially Hobbs Lane.:uhoh:

Keef
4th Feb 2013, 08:14
The original TV serial was when I was about 12, so 1955 sounds right.
The first one - the Quatermass Experiment - was a few years before that: a must-watch, but terrifying.

tony draper
4th Feb 2013, 08:38
Watched it on youtube a while back this version looks like it has been cleaned up a bit,digitally remastered you think?:)

Bern Oulli
4th Feb 2013, 08:41
The Goons did a version entitled "The Scarlet Capsule", broadcast 2nd February 1959, a copy of which I have on one of those big vinyl things. I won't spoil it by revealing the true nature of the buried object, but as usual Professor Henry Crun had the answer.

ILS32
4th Feb 2013, 08:43
I used to watch it through my fingers hiding behind the sofa. Then I wouldn't go to bed without the light on.One episode, I think it was the one with man drilling the capsule who ran away through a churchyard where he fell and all the ground started a rippling effect.Was eight years and scared witless but continued to watch it.Andre Morell played Professor Bernard Quatermass. I think the first one to be shown was The Quatermass Experiment.

ORAC
4th Feb 2013, 08:47
Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit)

The six episodes—"The Halfmen", "The Ghosts", "Imps and Demons", "The Enchanted", "The Wild Hunt" and "Hob"—were broadcast on Monday nights at 8pm from 22 December 1958 to 26 January 1959..........

Made just prior to the introduction of early videotape machines into general use at the BBC, all six episodes of Quatermass and the Pit were preserved for a possible repeat by being telerecorded onto 35 mm film. Although this effectively worked by pointing a synchronised film camera at a television monitor and filming the output, the process had been refined throughout the 1950s and the recordings made of Quatermass and the Pit were of a high technical quality. The serial was repeated in edited form as two 90-minute episodes—titled "5 Million Years Old" and "Hob"—on 26 December 1959 and 2 January 1960......

tony draper
4th Feb 2013, 09:05
Didn't they remake The Quatermass Experiment recently? in black and white no less,don't remember much about the first Quatermass so it cant have been as good or as terrifying as the Pit.
I recall they used to end the episodes leaving you up in the air so you were obliged to watch the next one no matter how reluctantly,think that was when I developed the habit of sleeping with the blankets over me head with just my nose sticking out(no duvets in them days):uhoh:

pen-e-h
4th Feb 2013, 09:22
I have the three Quatermass serials on a BBC dvd. The leaflet that accompanies it dates episode 1 of Quatermass and the Pit as being broadcast on 22 December 1958 (at 8 pm if anyone is interested) and episode 6 on 26 January 1959.

OFSO
4th Feb 2013, 10:15
revealing the true nature of the buried object

Or the true meaning of the unearthly cry of "Minador"

MagnusP
4th Feb 2013, 10:22
I used to watch it through my fingers hiding behind the sofa

That's how MrsP used to watch Doctor Who when it was the Cybermen, and it's also how I watch all Scotland's international rugby matches. :{

Bern Oulli
4th Feb 2013, 11:45
OFSO
"Gad, the head of a skull. Must be a woman - the mouth's open!"

Milo Minderbinder
4th Feb 2013, 20:21
Quatermass and the Pit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit)

read the section titled "Other media"
It explains why various qualities of the film exist, due to differences in the way in which it was preserved and later edited. At different periods differing treatments were applied to the film and tapes

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2013, 20:21
1958/59. How embarrassing. I was 19. Still, probably put it on for me little mate who's 5 years younger than me. I'll ask him.

Not true, I couldn't wait for the next installment.

I did run the Pit one t'other night. Nice to see the old standards, but at no stage did I hide under me chair.

One will search for The Quatermass Experiment, which I thought was after the Pit. But one will see.

A A Gruntpuddock
4th Feb 2013, 21:01
Glad I'm not the only one who used to peek over the back of the sofa!

ILS32
4th Feb 2013, 21:44
I bet there are a few more but they won't admit it.

Noah Zark.
4th Feb 2013, 22:00
As said by Keef, above, The Quatermass Experiment, 1953, on t.v., with that old stalwart, Duncan Lamont (Gurgle Images).
Frightened me silly when I was a squab!

Hobo
4th Feb 2013, 22:00
Scared me shitless when I were a lad....I remember a line:

"It walked through the wall!"

Or is my memory playing tricks....

chiglet
4th Feb 2013, 22:11
I seem to remember "Quatermass 2" can't remember the plot tho'

ILS32
4th Feb 2013, 22:36
here's the plot for Quatermas 2

Quatermass II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_II)

G-CPTN
4th Feb 2013, 23:00
Quatermass Experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quatermass_Experiment).
The Quatermass Experiment is a British science-fiction serial broadcast by BBC Television during the summer of 1953 and re-staged by BBC Four during 2005.Quatermass and the Pit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit).
It was the third and last of the BBC's Quatermass serials.

reynoldsno1
4th Feb 2013, 23:10
"It walked through the wall!"

I have QATP on DVD also, and watched it (again) recently - that is, indeed, a quote from the series. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and watched it on a weekly episode basis, as per the original!

cockney steve
5th Feb 2013, 16:48
I really must be losing the plot,

I was absolutely convinced that this was on the radio when i was a youngster. On reflection, we aquired an elderly "Bush" TV with a huge, oil-filled macnifying glass in front of the screen, when I was about 10.

My sister lapped it up, I was petrified- the eerie music was enough for me to put my hands over my ears and bury my head in a comic. In later years i've seen a part-rerun. the pit, the opening of the "spaceship" the ground tremors and scuttling "Aliens"- still have the ability to unnerve after all these years!

Sister also loved "Journey into space" (DEFINITELY Radio!)...again, fearfully doom-laden for me...fingers in ears or early bedtime , if I recollect rightly! :O

ricardian
5th Feb 2013, 17:32
"Journey into Space" and all the other Charles Chilton science-fiction stories were repeated on Radio 4 Extra quite recently.

OFSO
5th Feb 2013, 20:06
We were too poor to have a TV when I was a kid so I walked around t'corner to our next door neighbours and watched it there - and I still remember all these years later walking back thru the night terrified out of my wits, especially the episode called something like "the cleansing".

Aye, those were the days, wern't they. Somehow no subsequent horror film ever seemed particularly frightening. Nigel Kneale = genius.

ChocksAwayChaps
5th Feb 2013, 20:31
Can honestly say I have never been so frightened, before or since. I'd have been about 7.
Not sure I'm brave enough to get it on DVD even now.

tony draper
5th Feb 2013, 20:36
No need Mr C,you can watch the whole series on youtube from the link on the first page.:E

4mastacker
5th Feb 2013, 20:42
I was allowed to watch one of the early Quatermass programmes, got scared ****less and consequently was banned by me mum from watching any more episodes. For some reason , whenever I hear Holst's 'Mars-The Bringer of War' - I think of Quatermass or was that from a different programme altogether?

tony draper
5th Feb 2013, 20:56
I remember a radio drama serial of John Wyndam's The Kraken Wakes that was very frightening,having to use your own imagination to picture the scene with radio made it worse I think.
:uhoh:

reynoldsno1
7th Feb 2013, 00:08
Holst's "Mars" was indeed used in the Quatermass series. I recently re-read The Kraken Wakes, TD (plus other John Wyndham books) - 'tis remarkably relevant today .... don't think they ever made a movie out of it?

A A Gruntpuddock
7th Feb 2013, 07:33
I rarely missed 'Journey into space' and actually sent off to Luxemburg for the rocket-shaped chocolate mug.

Cracked the first time I used it.

ricardian
7th Feb 2013, 08:54
There's a CBC recording of "The Kraken Wakes" online (http://archive.org/details/TheKrakenWakes_cbc)

tony draper
7th Feb 2013, 09:00
They also produced The Day of the Triffids but I didn't find that as scary,I mean who's frightened of giant turnips?
:uhoh::ooh:

MagnusP
7th Feb 2013, 09:35
Now, if the triffids had looked like brussels sprouts, some here might've found it scary!

Milo Minderbinder
7th Feb 2013, 19:35
I've always been surprised that the BBC never tried to crossover Quatermass into Dr Who......especially after that remake of The Quatermass Experiment with David Tennant.
I struck me that Tennant could have been The Doctor working in Quatermass' staff, or else Quatermass could have been an early iteration of The Doctor