PDA

View Full Version : Problem with DVD R/W

vulcanised
3rd Feb 2013, 21:37
I have a Lite-on external USB DVD R/W which I use rarely.

Tried to use it tonight with a new dvd out of the box, intending to copy files over, and I just get 'device not accessible'. Put a dvd with files on it in there and it works happily !

What am I missing? Seem to remember encountering this before but can't recall answer to problem.

Helix Von Smelix
3rd Feb 2013, 21:44
I expect you need to open the software that will burn the files on to the DVD. Then add the files in to that software. Then burn. Sometimes there is drag & drop software installed, but not all the time.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Feb 2013, 21:48
are you sure no other burn program has locked the drive? reboot the machine to clear anything using it. If it then wont work, run this fixit tool
Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can (http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en)

if that doesn't work then the burn lazer in the drive is probably dead

Lite-on drives don't last long: I've never had one last much over a year.
My experience is that Toshiba or Samsung branded ones are longest lived (both are made by the TSST joint venture) and LG ones are pretty good as well

vulcanised
4th Feb 2013, 16:48
Thanks for replies. I did try rebooting without success, but it appears a night's sleep has resolved the issue. Fired up IMGBurn and away it went.

Lite-on were highly rated when I bought mine, about three years ago, but it's probably only had about 6 hours total running time, so hopefully there's a bit more life in it.

Milo Minderbinder
4th Feb 2013, 19:36
they were highly rated a few years ago when they first tried to break into the optical drive market, and pushed out a lot of publicity bumph. The chap who was president was indicating that he wanted to be the biggest manufacturer of optical drives in an unfeasibly short period of time. The press latched onto that and applauded him - ignoring the drive quality....
since then things seem to have gone pear-shaped and they put the optical drive business into a JV - I think with Philips, who then closed (or at least ran down) their Hungarian plant to concentrate on sourcing from China.

In reality the quality isn't there. Bit like their laptop chargers - they die prematurely as well