PDA

View Full Version : SFT ATPL Distance Learning

jabbadfatt
18th Apr 2001, 14:21
Hi

I'm interested in SFT's ATPL distance Learning course but i'd like to hear some comments from ppl who have tried it.
Is it on CD-ROM?
What sort of texts etc are included in the package?
How does it compare to OATS?
Do you get a 'virtual classroom' or tutors to help?

I'm trying to decide between SFT and OATS (i'm leaning towards SFT because when they sent me some info they answered each one of my questions directly while OATS just gave me some marketing BS about why they are so great). Are there any other schools that offer distance learning packages?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated

Regards
Jabba

Captain-Ireland
19th Apr 2001, 03:59
I am faced with the same dilema SFT or OATS for g/s learning. SFT seems great you are right about that. They are forever writing to me.

However OATS does have the reputation for excellent ground school. To be honest the route i think i will choose is to do flight training some where and ground school at OATS just so i can say i am an OATS graduate and have done their so called "Excellent" ground school course. I am not sure if its all its cracked up to be.

However i have got it into my head some were that it would be benificial to the good old CV to say that you studied at OATS. I too would appreciate some feed back on this.

Sorry i cant be more useful..

Happy flying. g'd luck

jabbadfatt
19th Apr 2001, 09:14
Thanks for the response Captain!

Yeah your plan sounds good. I might 'steal' your plan & do the distance learning with OATS and do the IR with SFT.... I just found out that SFT's distance learning scheme is still in the 'set up' stages and apparently won't be finalised until the end of summer. This to me is another reason to go to OATS coz there system has been around for a couple of years now (right?) so it's safe to assume they've ironed out all the probs with the material that they may have had.

Anyone have any opinions on OATS distance learning package??

Q Feel
19th Apr 2001, 12:23
Have you considered PPSC in Bournemouth?
I'm not sure what JAA courses they offer, but their CAA distance learning courses and notes were exceptional.

Good luck!

Q.

jabbadfatt
19th Apr 2001, 12:49
Hi Q Feel

Yeah thanks for letting me know about PPSC i've emailed them so hopefully i'll get some info off them.
I've also contacted Bristol, 4 Forces and London Guildhall University.

Arrgh there's so many I dunno which one to choose!!

What are ppl's opinions of these places? Bristol seems to have caught my eye...

Delta Wun-Wun
19th Apr 2001, 14:43
Hello,
I am doing D/L with Bristol.I am only a few weeks into the course so its early days yet.The notes I have found are excellent,nice and clear with no waffle.They also send a CD with animated diagrams and some tests to test yourself.
Good luck with your choice.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

[This message has been edited by Delta Wun-Wun (edited 19 April 2001).]