PDA

View Full Version : Viruses - Which program to trust

mutt
19th Apr 2002, 16:21
I’m presently running Norton AV 2002 with up to date definitions. I received 4 different emails today from unknown senders, each with an attachment.

Norton stopped none of these emails, but Zone Alarm stopped them. The attachments are as follows:

name=class.zl3 Subject: Japanese lass' sexy pictures
Subject: A powful tool
name=have.zlo Subject: TABINDEX
name=value.zl3 Subject: This.show.arguments)

Zone Alarm sets the .zl3/zlo extn, so I don’t know the original extn. Does anyone know what these are?

Cheers

Mutt.

PPRuNeUser0171
20th Apr 2002, 00:22
Things like this.show.arguments strike me as some sort of Java script directive probably to put you onto some sort of dodgy website

I've taken a look at the Virus data (http://www.sophos.com) which does not list any of them as a virus so I think you are quite safe!

Another suggestion I would make is to check out http://www.grisoft.com, A far more superior AV tool than Norton with more regualr updates and best of all it's free!!!

--
Gary Williams.

18-Wheeler
20th Apr 2002, 03:15
I use www.nod32.com and find it excellent.

mutt
20th Apr 2002, 03:17
Interesting sites Gary, thanks.

Mutt.

Slasher
20th Apr 2002, 08:47
Mutt did you press your ZA "More info" button at the time? Thisll take you to the ZA web-site where a detailed explaination of the current alarm can be found. 9 times out of 10 it provides a satisfactory answer. If youve alowed logging, your ZA alert-log file should still have the details.

ZA is a firewall to protect against outside intrusion into your computer whereas NAV is a virus detector\hunter\killer. Id say your attachment contained a web-link of an intrusive nature that your trustey ZA intercepted as soon as the link activated.

Feeton Terrafirma
20th Apr 2002, 10:19
I've been using Nod32 for some time. It's not cheap, BUT I have found it will pick up a virus which Norton AV missed. This has happened twice now on customers PC's, so I think it's good value.