PDA

View Full Version : Broken Clavicle

Clipper7332
2nd Feb 2013, 11:59
Has anyone had any experience with a broken clavicle and how long did it take to heal. And what did it take to get your medical back.

Thanks

Spitoon
2nd Feb 2013, 13:56
Did one of mine about 30 years ago. Got put in a sling and nothing more. Took about six weeks to get back to normal but I think I was pretty much able to do anything I wanted after four. Didn't have a medical at the time so can't give any definitive answer for that but I would make an educated guess that they'll want to see that you have full range of movement so, somewhere between the 4 and 6-week mark.

I remember it pretty painful to laugh for the first couple of weeks - which was a difficult time as so many people wanted to take the p out of me for how I'd done it!

Clipper7332
2nd Feb 2013, 14:43
Thanks for the reply, It;s now 7 weeks, I have 90% full movement, but still a bit sore.. and stiff. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I can get back to work

Thanks

homonculus
2nd Feb 2013, 16:07
Come on Spitoon - you cant leave your post hanging in the air

So

How did you do it?

Comms Boy
3rd Feb 2013, 07:29
Did mine about 4 years ago,
5mph off a mountain bike:(

unfortunately theres no quick fix, was supported by a sling for 4 weeks, after that took it steady for a couple of months.
I have regained full movement (i think) but 4 years on and i still have a noticeable lump where the bones knitted back together. It does ache occasionally but not that bad.

When my brother broke his (also on a mountain bike :)) he also had a lump, but it disappeared after 4 years. I guess his bones knitted back better than mine:confused:

Clipper7332
3rd Feb 2013, 08:55
Hello, Yes I'm starting to get a bump. I can say, I almost have full movement. I have pain mainly when lying down in bed, It's almost 2 months and hope to be cleared for fight duty sometime by the end of February.

Thanks for the comment

Spitoon
3rd Feb 2013, 09:59
Still got a lump on mine.

And, homonculus, you mention hanging.......that's pretty warm.