PDA

View Full Version : CASA increasing ASIC fees from July 1 2013

Modesetter
1st Feb 2013, 03:35
Just had this emailed to me from CASA, as i'm sure a lot of you also will.

Looks like ASIC holders get slugged an extra $25 for July 1st this year, while AVID cards get a decrease of a similar amount.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Changes to fees regulations for ASIC and AVID fees (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101324)

Of course my ASIC needs renewing in June this year :rolleyes:

Lucerne
1st Feb 2013, 04:23
Well, what a raught!! It's analogically parallel to the futility of the security fence at my local which runs the length of less than half of the perimeter of the aerodrome.

I have personally never had my ASIC checked and doubt that I ever will if I have any faith in statistics at all.

I would not mind being charged for a service that was effective but the entire airport security debacle is less than laughable. I suppose the idiot who has passed the cost/benefit analysis on this one will also be looking for a payrise after the good work they have done.

Incompetent twats!!

dibloc
1st Feb 2013, 05:31
Perhaps you should re read that.

Renewal of an ASIC increases by $3 only.

Modesetter
1st Feb 2013, 05:55
Good point Dibloc!... still a raise though, in the end I guess

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Feb 2013, 11:05
Well, I have responded to their 'expressions of interest' - in the 'negative'.

IF enough of us do it, we 'may' get a result...??

i.e. It is a useless form of ID
I can't even use it to cash a cheque, - but I can maybe, get a reduced price on a coffee??
It is an 'imposed' fee, in that its compulsory for most commercial operations,
WHY??
And all of the 'usual' queries about this absoluty USELESS form of Gummint
B/S we are forced to endure.....

Bah Humbug:yuk::yuk:

Lasiorhinus
2nd Feb 2013, 08:50
Cheaper coffee IS an advantage....

TSRABECOMING
2nd Feb 2013, 20:46
I want 5+ years to renew it.:ugh:

Lucerne
2nd Feb 2013, 22:30
I agree TSRABECOMING, That's a good idea. Five years.

CHAIRMAN
3rd Feb 2013, 13:23
My response suggested 10 - same as my passport.

OZBUSDRIVER
4th Feb 2013, 21:28
Till suspended or cancelled....the same as my pilot's licence!

Lucerne
4th Feb 2013, 23:39
Till suspended or cancelled. I like the theory OZ!

Old Fella
5th Feb 2013, 01:48
Those of us who happen to operate from rural airports which are serviced by RPT can see the unfairness in the whole ASIC. As has been mentioned the fact that RPT service dictates that ASIC is required is of itself a nonsense. The partial security fencing makes that nonsense even more farcical. In my own case I held, during my military service, a security clearance such as to be permitted to crew aircraft carrying the Queen of the Realm, Prime Minister and VIP's down the chain. My question has been, and still is, what have I done to have to undergo further investigation to allow me to hold an ASIC so that I can now operate a 'puddle jumper" from a regional airport as a PPL? If one is permitted to hold a valid aircrew licence and has been assessed as able to hold an ASIC it seems common sense to me that they should each be valid in perpetuity unless reason for suspension is found. Renewals of the ASIC, whether annually, at two, five or ten year periods is nothing more than revenue raising IMHO.

PookeyMaster
5th Feb 2013, 13:09
My question has been, and still is, what have I done to have to undergo further investigation to allow me to hold an ASIC so that I can now operate a 'puddle jumper" from a regional airport as a PPL? If one is permitted to hold a valid aircrew licence and has been assessed as able to hold an ASIC it seems common sense to me that they should each be valid in perpetuity unless reason for suspension is found. Renewals of the ASIC, whether annually, at two, five or ten year periods is nothing more than revenue raising IMHO.

I think it's possibly because there are people who wouldn't declare criminal convictions. The best method would be a perpetual ASIC with the requirement to report any criminal convictions to the authorities (high range speeding or drink driving are offences that would require declaration), similar to how you must report a medical condition that appears to CASA/DAME. The problem is, for minor offences like the two I suggested (in the scheme of things compared to assault, robbery, rape, murder, etc) many people wouldn't realise it's actually a criminal offence that needed to be reported. The second issue is that if someone is a criminal and commits armed robbery for example, they're unlikely to follow the law and report their offence to CASA are they? Most criminals wouldn't be deliberately giving a security clearance card up for the sake of it.

Hence, we're left in the current situation of regular renewals. I really can't think of a better way that would still satisfy the government/regulators for people who commit an offence after receiving the initial ASIC. I'd be just as pleased as anyone else to see a workable solution though.

YPJT
6th Feb 2013, 12:17
PookeyMaster,

There is a requirement under part 6.41 of the regulations to report a conviction of an Aviation Security Relevant Offence.

I agree that given the cost of these things, the two year validity sucks. Given that the regs were changed only about a year ago to change validity to the end of the month in which the clearance is given instead of the last day of the previous month, I can't see moving much more on the issue. I would like to be proven wrong though.

PookeyMaster
7th Feb 2013, 04:20
I agree YPJT, only problem is, if you've committed armed robbery, are you really going to comply with the Aviation regs and report yourself? More likely is that they wouldn't bother and knowing the efficiency of government departments isn't always the best, they may not discover it till the next check.

I'm glad they changed that, I didn't realise. Otherwise you effectively got only 23 months depending on when you paid for it. I first got my ASIC in 2009 but didn't renew as I pulled back on flight training and figured why pay if I wasn't using it.

YPJT
7th Feb 2013, 06:25
PookeyMaster,
WRT reporting convictions, your observation is certainly valid and that in itself probably gives some weight to having a two year maximum validity on the card. On the other hand, if you are convicted and try to keep it quiet, you WILL be pinged at the next background check and can then be prosecuted against that section of the regs.

A lot of good debate on this issue eminates from these threads but unfortunately, that's where it stays and you'd be a mug to expect the government to act on what is discussed anonymously on an online forum.

rutan around
8th Feb 2013, 09:52
Renewing ATSIC's and self reporting convictions is just so much BS. In this day and age all convictions are recorded on computers.They can easily be set up to flag a conviction of a pilot. I understand anyone holding a blue card is flagged if convicted of a child related crime so why not a similar scheme for pilots and lets do away with this expensive renewal time waste. With so many so called security measures being dreamed up by otherwise unemployable drones it's little wonder productivity in this country is going backwards.

CHAIRMAN
8th Feb 2013, 10:31
A lot of good debate on this issue eminates from these threads but unfortunately, that's where it stays and you'd be a mug to expect the government to act on what is discussed anonymously on an online forum.
That's exactly why I posted mine on the official feedback link listed earlier. Without Prune I probably wouldn't have bothered finding where the feedback link was.
Cheers:ok: